Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid stuff to Current Affairs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

As long as they publish the Sunday independent, I won’t run short of arspaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thank you most fervently for this post, all of it but especially bolded. Panic is a terrible feeling and demands ACTIOn without thought

Some of the worst decisions I've ever made were due to acting without thought during moments of panic so I have to totally disagree with you.

Yesterday's thoughtless, mindless sheepfest in the supermarkets can only serve to make things much worse because people are cross contaminating each other. It's utter and total mindless ignorance and wouldn't look out of place in a South Park episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Yurt! wrote: »
    Oh no. I thought a poxy horse racing festival full of p*ssed up gamblers in the middle of an international health crisis had 5 days of racing instead of 4.

How will I ever recover from such an error?

If you're going to play gotcha, make it better than that.

Lack of personal responsibility. Terrible to witness but not surprising with the horsey set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Ficheall wrote: »
    I think it's pretty harmful to be speculating that a load of people in Ireland have already had this and come through it just fine. Making people complacent is not really what we should be angling for.

My intent was not to make people complacent only not to panic that much, which can be harmful as well. I simply would feel better, if such eventuality was excluded because so much recourses, will be spent on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Lack of personal responsibility. Terrible to witness but not surprising with the horsey set.

I fear due to the extensive interbreeding practices over many generations which the horsey set and the jumped up boggers are known for then they are more than likely completely immune to Coronavirus as well as common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

endacl wrote: »
    You had a cold. If you had flu you’d know it.

How to spot an idiot 101.

Employee: Boss I won't be in work today I have the flu

Boss: Okay look after yourself

Employee: Thanks I should be back in tomorrow

Boss: You are fired

Ficheall wrote: »
    I think it's pretty harmful to be speculating that a load of people in Ireland have already had this and come through it just fine. Making people complacent is not really what we should be angling for.

Also worries don't help, while trust that we will be all right can be a huge healing factor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

owlbethere wrote: »
    I thought Covid-19 is a new strain? I get the flu shot annually and the flu shot wouldn't cover this. I usually get colds easily too but I didn't even get a sniffle this winter. I had some bad hayfever and asthma two years ago. If Covid-19 was doing the rounds, surely it would have set up camp in my lungs.

It's not a strain of the flu! It's a different type of virus

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

@Muahahaha. - "afaik... Tesco's, Ballymun building.... largest in Ireland".

very probably is; and the shockingly overwhelmingly Shinner staff, will be giving us English cheddar from now to 4vr.

(I always liked the smaller Tesco stores in London).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 72 ✭✭stinger31

OEP wrote: »
    This is absolutely nothing like the last recession

i didnt mean how it started, i meant what will come. There will be a lot of job losses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Tiredalways

kippy wrote: »
    Pretty much all of the online shops from Tesco/Supervalue etc have been down for the past hour.
    Yes - the panic has well and truly began.

I work in a big supermarket. It was insane. Our shop made nearly double the usual turnover and had to close early as it was empty.then loads of staff in early to refill the shelves.the worst, everyone joking about the panic buying and yet doing it themselves! We have the stock,its just logistics of warehouse to store.people need to calm down!(on a side note cramming into a shop with a few 100 others seems wise!)

We saw how quick they were to cancel Cheltenham in 2001 when their precious horses were at risk.

No such concerns this time.

I thought it was called off due to an outbreak of foot and mouth, which doesn’t affect horses. Again, a failure of facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I'm in software, and the entire company is working from home.

I'm a permanent employee contracting to my employer's client. We'll be the first to go if cutbacks are made. However, I just go back to my parent company. Hopefully, the contract doesn't get cut as we have some really interesting work coming up.

tuxy wrote: »
    This should be moved to conspiracy theories as it keeps coming up. It was officially confirmed what was going around at Christmas time was a strain of influenza.
    That strain made you feel really awful but it did not attack the lungs as aggressively as covid-19

I don't claim it is any cover up. I only don't trust that there were enough tests done to exclude such possibility. Also people could have had both at the same time: C19 and flu, while tests were only available for flu (if they even were carried out).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Maybe I'm getting the wrong end of the stick about crèches but the notion of parents still having to pay fees when the places are closed seems wrong.

Surely crèches in this country don't limp along financially and these measures aren't necessary to safeguard crèche workers wages?

Crèche fees in this country are astronomical and the workers are paid crap wages. Is it insurance that's the main cost or something. Cost of the premises? Can anybody in the know elucidate?

Or is it just another industry in Ireland that the government won't regulate and force to provide some sort of value to customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

This is the 1st time I've genuinely hated working in a supermarket. The more people are told not to panic buy the worse it is because "what do the government know".

Worked 8-8 yesterday doing nothing but online shoppings with no break (but that was my choice couldn't afford to stop). Today is heading the same way.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Heard a lot of people supplying lunches to schools let go earlier.
    Same to many businesses supplying schools and colleges.

So many restaurants and cafes wont survive the next couple of weeks.

A lot won't even make news but it's awfully sad.

I wouldn’t mind but that’s all that’s left really on main streets across the country- restaurants cafes and pubs
    I’d say takeaways business will pick up considerably though with so many people now at home not going out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Some of the worst decisions I've ever made were due to acting without thought during moments of panic so I have to totally disagree with you.
    I'm not sure if Graces7 is quite saying that. My interpretation was that Panic "demands action without thought"...but you don't have to give in. If you're strong, you'll do the right thing.

(Maybe that's a bit too much 'glass half full'.)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,323 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This is the 1st time I've genuinely hated working in a supermarket. The more people are told not to panic buy the worse it is because "what do the government know".

Worked 8-8 yesterday doing nothing but online shoppings with no break (but that was my choice couldn't afford to stop). Today is heading the same way.

What part of the county are you in out of interest?
    If you don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

My company just put all contractors on a months notice that their work will be week to week from then on with the expectation that there'll be a lot of weeks with nothing. FTEs are being asked to express their interest in unpaid leave or going part time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

I'm a self-employed market trader. We were already on our knees after a month of red weather warnings in Feb. We were relying on things improving post-Paddy's Day. This is detrimental to us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Public Service employee so job is safe- but heard directly from a principal officer that there are talks about potential pay cuts depending on how this plays out and the effect on the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

If and its a big if .... The supermarket owners cared about her staff ...
    They would limit the amount of people that can go into their stores at any one time AND limit the amount they can purchase .
    But of course it's all about their profit !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I thought it was called off due to an outbreak of foot and mouth, which doesn’t affect horses. Again, a failure of facts.

Where is the failure of facts? Cheltenham was called off in 2001 due to foot and mouth. Fact.

True it does not affect horses. Now I should string it out better because F&M was an agricultural problem and by its very nature horses are kept in agricultrual environs and racing attracts for the most part people from rural/agricultural backgrounds so the risk of spreading it was greatly increased back to the farmlands.

Let me rephrase better:

"We saw how quick they were to cancel Cheltenham in 2001 when their precious horses lifestock was at risk."

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Silly Gilly

Watching some of the coverage and it seems the whole industry is in complete denial. Talk of Aintree and trips to Barbados. Willie Mullins with his elderly mother in attendance. Idiots to a person. When there is a mass outbreak around Cheltenham in a few weeks you'll see how welcome the locals will make the racegoers next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 deeosull

I'm in a difficult situation and looking for the combined wisdom of afterhours...
    Currently living in the UK, was booked to go home for the week tomorrow with flybe who went tits up. Rebooked with aerlingus on Monday at massively inflated prices and now Ireland is pretty much on lockdown. Here's the conundrum --- do I fly tomorrow with my young one and take my chances, visiting my elderly parents or do I stay where I am. Slightly concerned that i may not get another chance for quite a long time considering the **** thats going down and what if my parents get it anyway and die, I won't have had the chance to see them (morbid I know but a possibility.

So that's it - Should I stay or should I go now....

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

I work in Europe in the golf industry and after an emergency board meeting yesterday our forecasts are down 300k ans had to spend today slashing 200k from my budget. 4 staff kn the resort lost their jobs and most likely more to follow. Think regardless of how long this goes on, its going to have a huge effect economically, everything here has slowed right down and borders closed this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Ireland is not on lockdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

endacl wrote: »
    Ireland is not on lockdown.
    Yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- All Covid threads merged so everyone can see this without me repeating myself 10 times. All Covid stuff is to go to Current Affairs https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1846

Here is the current thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058060796

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement