Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid stuff to Current Affairs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,168 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Don’t be silly. Horse racing is a multi billion industry that helps keep the country afloat.

It is also an industry that enjoys the taxpayers giving it a free fooking ride in many respects.

Why were stud fees tax exempt until 2008 ?

The cost of a stallion can still be written off at 25%.

Why is ownership of land and horse treated as farming and taxable whereas ownership of a racehorse treated as a hobby and winning not taxable ?

And Coolmore, Ballydoyle, Gordon Elliott, numerous other trainers, jockies and associated industries.

No fooking wonder Coolmore and Ballydoyle are multi millionaire euro operations since they have and still enjoy tax free profits.
    And yes they do, because stud farms or racing organisatuion can sell a successful horse and not pay tax on profits.

Coolmore, that mulitmillion outfit that has been buying up all available land in Tipperary and partially owned by one John Magnier, who coincidentally made millions in untaxable stud fees thanks to Magniers good friend one Charlie Haughey.
    I’ll admit that I’m over here in Cheltenham. I wasn’t going to go, but made the decision on Tuesday that I would as I’d everything booked. It’s normally the highlight of my year, even if the atmosphere is slightly more subdued at this running of the festival.

I’d say both countries are riddled with the corona at this stage so it wouldn’t have made a blind bit of difference calling it off.

So you decided what the fook shure why not enjoy yourself and to hell with everyone else.
    I shure hope you have no elderly relatives.

I think anyone that returns from Cheltenham and presents at hospital with Covid 19 should be sent to end of queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭NSAman

Rufeo wrote: »
    Will you go over there to wash your arse?

Lol, sorry that sounded awful.

Wipe left, shake right. Just do NOT get them mixed up!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

While I'm at it.
    When did people become so mean spirited that they have no respect for old people?
    I've noticed it getting worse for a few years, as if it's a backlash against our strict, controlling culture in the past. Maybe to some, all older people represent that judgemental authoritarian past when people were expected to show unquestioning deference to older people regardless of their character. Whatever, it's very dehumanising and callous.

That is fully part of it and it's not just about the past but about the present. In the same manner as I saw many repulsive comments along the lines of "old people shouldn't be allowed to vote, they won't live long enough to deal with the consequences" after Trump and Brexit, I've seen many not-so-tongue in cheek memes this week responding to the brushing aside of the elderly's concerns about COVID with "young people are treating COVID the same way old people are treating climate change, tough sh!t".

Generational warfare has always been a thing but I think it's particularly bad at the moment for a variety of reasons to be honest. A sizeable cohort of millennials feel (not without some justification) that they are in direct opposition to the older generation who, in their eyes, have pulled the ladder up and left young folk to drown. It's the mentality behind this, it's the mentality behind "ok boomer", it's the mentality behind a lot of discourse during the 2010s decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,620 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thats been debunked already, the army thing. You'll hear plenty of BS over the weekend.

https://www.thejournal.ie/whastapp-defence-forces-debunked-5044990-Mar2020/
    https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/government-quashes-rumours-of-plans-to-bring-in-status-red-emergency-over-coronavirus-39042445.html

We don't have the numbers in the army or the Gardaí to enforce it anyway.

Is it though? Paschal says its not true but that official army letter looks authentic to me unless some troll went to the trouble of creating a fake. Its not surprising the army would be gearing up to be ready, times like this they could be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,371 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Tesco had 5 for €5 on Easter eggs Today by the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭threeball

jmayo wrote: »
    It is also an industry that enjoys the taxpayers giving it a free fooking ride in many respects.

Why were stud fees tax exempt until 2008 ?

The cost of a stallion can still be written off at 25%.

Why is ownership of land and horse treated as farming and taxable whereas ownership of a racehorse treated as a hobby and winning not taxable ?

No fooking wonder Coolmore and Ballydoyle are multi millionaire euro operations since they have and still enjoy tax free profits.
    And yes they do, because stud farms or racing organisatuion can sell a successful horse and not pay tax on profits.

Coolmore, that mulitmillion outfit that has been buying up all available land in Tipperary and partially owned by one John Magnier, who coincidentally made millions in untaxable stud fees thanks to Magniers good friend one Charlie Haughey.

So you decided what the fook shure why not enjoy yourself and to hell with everyone else.
    I shure hope you have no elderly relatives.

I think anyone that returns from Cheltenham and presents at hospital with Covid 19 should be sent to end of queue.

The tasty tax breaks they get should be diverted into the CV19 fund. Soften their cough a little bit. Billionaires pretending to be sportsmen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭corks finest

Great in the middle of Lent,,,,,and me trying to be buachaill go maith,,,,, struggling now after the easter egg news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭OEP

stinger31 wrote: »
    I've already heard of people being burnt on money that was owed to them. My friend has a business that gets subcontracted a lot, he has a team of 6 lads that help him. He's already done the work but was told tonight he's not getting paid and tough sh1t.

This has all the hallmarks of the last recession i'm afraid. I can see massive lines down the dole office like the last time.

This is absolutely nothing like the last recession

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I've nothing against it. People are preparing for the worst, perhaps they don't trust the government and expect this quasi lockdown to go on for much longer than 2 weeks (which it will).

This. Our culture of "tell everyone it's grand and then do a massive U-turn at the last minute" is directly responsible for what we're seeing now. It still boggles my mind that the red alert and countrywide lockdown for Hurricane Ophelia was only announced literally after dark the night before, Ireland was in the forecast cone for that hurricane for a full five days before it hit (we were first "coned" by the hurricane forecasting centre in America on the Thursday, with an expected landfall the following Monday) and yet the lockdown, closure of schools, advice to stay home from work, etc was only issues Sunday evening, and to my recollection it was actually after the Nine O'Clock news by the time that message was disseminated. If we'd had any common sense we'd have announced it as a precaution the Friday before, at least.

People taking matters into their own hands like this is what happens when not only is communication from the top inconsistent and insufficient, but when people know it will be inconsistent and insufficient because the country has such a long track record of same.

The reasons behind this are debatable, some would say it's just symptomatic of the widespread disorganisation in the Irish government but tbh I'd be more cynical and say that it's because our government tends to prioritise corporate economics over literally everything else, and they don't want to take the risk of losing a day of economic productivity unless the barbarians are already through the gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭appledrop

We were just at our local super valu + it was grand.

No queues + plenty of fresh fruit + veg.

Everything was in plentiful supply except for toilet roll& hand wash none to be had.

Bread was low but there was some.

Obviously all the panic buyers were out yesterday or early this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Love when posters get all hot and bothered without knowing basic facts. Fact is that it's a 4 day festival, not 5.

Oh look its Maryanne. Aren't you always on every other thread especially those about social housing talking about personal responsibility.

Only when it suits the agenda what Mary.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

I would imagine they realised that the people coming in buying a heap of sh*t were of the low IQ variety so decided to kill two idiots with the one stone and sell them some easter eggs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Love when posters get all hot and bothered without knowing basic facts. Fact is that it's a 4 day festival, not 5.

Have it your way so, 4 days of wreckless idiocy instead of 5.

gary550 wrote: »
    I would imagine they realised that the people coming in buying a heap of sh*t were of the low IQ variety so decided to kill two idiots with the one stone and sell them some easter eggs too.

It's generally around Patrick's Day they do the offer!

threeball wrote: »
    The tasty tax breaks they get should be diverted into the CV19 fund. Soften their cough a little bit. Billionaires pretending to be sportsmen

Tell that to the thousands employed directly and indirectly in the horse racing industry. It’s not just stud owners or owners and trainers of the top horses. There’s the ancillary workers in so many parallel Industries.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Oh look its Maryanne. Aren't you always on every other thread especially those about social housing talking about personal responsibility.

Only when it suits the agenda what Mary.

Doesn’t change the fact that the poster got their facts wrong!

Yurt! wrote: »
    Have it your way so, 4 days of wreckless idiocy instead of 5.

"CE schemes can improve one’s self worth and self esteem. Give one a sense of pride in their communities"

Mary posted that a couple of days ago in a different thread. Lots of pride in their communities the Cheltenham degenerates are showing alright.

appledrop wrote: »
    We were just at our local super valu + it was grand.

No queues + plenty of fresh fruit + veg.

Everything was in plentiful supply except for toilet roll& hand wash none to be had.

Bread was low but there was some.

Obviously all the panic buyers were out yesterday or early this morning.

I saw somebody make a heartfelt plea to stop the panic buying and to think of the elderly, poor and pregnant woman.
    I then went to town for somebody and they had most type of bread, toilet rolls, fruit, veg,etc.

People were doing big shops so they wouldn't be popping in during the week tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Anyone who hasn't been amd isn't doing everything they can to protect themselves and those around them are absolute *****.

We need to pull together to get through this but certain people's recklessness will not be forgotten when/if we come through the other end. GAA/LOI matches, premiership matches, little city breaks, even going to nightclubs included. Over the last week or two, we've all known this was a possibility. Too many people were selfish.

Go wan out of that. #doublestandards when it suits ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

So what? 4 days or 5 days. If it was 1 day, they'd still be selfish *****.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Oh no. I thought a poxy horse racing festival full of p*ssed up gamblers in the middle of an international health crisis had 5 days of racing instead of 4.

How will I ever recover from such an error?

If you're going to play gotcha, make it better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Plenty of stock in our local SuperValu but Aldi is fairly low on stuff.
    What a world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

A nice lady from Supervalu just rang me to follow up on my click and collect order from this morning, apologising that so many items were missing, but reassuring that they had plenty of supplies, and will be constantly restocking. I thought it was good customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Local Boots have a sign up saying there is a limit on the purchase of certain products. It doesn't say what and you have to ask "a member of the team"!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

The government should have made educational videos for the RTE News showing the size of the distribution centres of all the main supermarkets in this country
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah Lidl just built a new distribution centre outside Newbridge and next to the M7. Passed it a few weeks back and from the road you can see all the loading bays for lorries to pull up and be filled, they are numbered and theres 75 in total. The building is massive. AFAIK Tescos distribution centre in Ballymun is the biggest building in Ireland.
    )
    The 4pm news on RTÉ1 (during Maura and Daithí) just showed the amount of stock that the Lidl distribution place in Newbridge actually has, and then some government woman explaining it (but somebody distracted me so I didn't hear what she actually said). I think she was saying "Calm down! We have stuff!", and that's what people need to realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Stark wrote: »
    Do you have a source?

Flu vaccine is least effective against H3N2 strains which is was the dominant strain in Ireland this year:

Only figures I could find were from the CDC which had a good season, but they had very few H3N2 cases compared to us

I am not able at the moment to get back to the source as well even if I managed I wouldn't be able to post a link as a new poster. But definitely I read in trusted sources that this time they perfectly predicted it.

I'm afraid they don't test everyone to know, the cause of illness. I don't remember ever being tested for a flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,575 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The 4pm news on RTÉ1 (during Maura and Daithí) just showed the amount of stock that the Lidl distribution place in Newbridge actually has, and then some government woman explaining it (but somebody distracted me so I didn't hear what she actually said). I think she was saying "Calm down! We have stuff!", and that's what people need to realise.

Send the army there pronto. The air force too.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

is_that_so wrote: »
    Local Boots have a sign up saying there is a limit on the purchase of certain products. It doesn't say what and you have to ask "a member of the team"!

That so normal people can go in and buy things normally

And absolute idiots need to ask can they take the full stock of whatever and be told to fup of with themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

We saw how quick they were to cancel Cheltenham in 2001 when their precious horses were at risk.

No such concerns this time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement