Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid stuff to Current Affairs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

We were lucky we had done our usual "big" fortnightly shop on Sunday, so we didn't really need anything except some oranges and grapefruits for juicing and nice crusty white bread that I tend to buy fresh as it doesn't freeze well. J*sus the place was decimated. Only pears and venison steaks left.

Popped into the local Supervalu on the way to work this morning and everything was re-stocked. There was nobody panic buying. The only reason I would stock up is to enable me to avoid the shops over the next while. Will be working from home and having lectures streamed, so if the shopping is in, no need to go near the hysterical crowds in shops :) Am quite looking forward to the break from interactions :P

I really think if people tried hard enough, most houses in the country would have a months supply of food - just need to be a bit creative.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

dads_army_jones.jpg

DON'T PANIC BUY!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    but enjoy your word salad.

dims?quality=85&image_uri=https%3A%2F%2Fs.aolcdn.com%2Fhss%2Fstorage%2Fmidas%2F85765b77a63354b0174dab159ddbd945%2F203355305%2Fsimpsons%2Bsalad.jpg&client=amp-blogside-v2&signature=28ba92d6661005b4891948dad8e619d4034aeca8

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

_Brian wrote: »
    Just out of Aldi. I usually do weekly shop Thursday evening but it was a zoo so skipped it.

Busy but not manic at all.

Didn’t see one person panic buying. Small amount of loo roll on shelves but not loads.

Quite a few shelves still empty from yesterday’s rush and I heard staff saying that what is out is what the shop has, nothing in stores to go out.

No frozen veg or chips, not a sausage other than that vegan muck.

Plenty of meat, cheese, bread, alcohol, milk, butter, yougherts

No hand soap, hand steriliser, certain types of nappies, no eggs, no flour. No cat food

HORRORS!

PS but very glad folk are thinking about their cats. My most serious stores are cat food! FIne for me to go without but not them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭tritriagain

noodler wrote: »
    Nonsense tbh.

For every 100 selfish yobs out there "stocking up" yesterday, that fantasy scenario probably applies to one or two of them

Not nonsense. It applies to me . No need to be so arrogant in your attitude. Labelling people yobs because you don't agree with their actions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭JoChervil

saabsaab wrote: »
    This came up on previous threads.

There was a bad dose going around a while before Christmas but it wasn't Covid-19. The labs would have picked up this on tests done by now if that was the case.

I think now you can't test previous cases because they have none in their system now. The only way would be a lung scan, which could show scars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

HORRORS!

We buy ours online as it works out so much cheaper. €50 per 12kilo bag of dried compared with €75 for 10kilo bag in local pet store. We have so many rescues, I really don't feel bad about importing it. Graces the Felix is on special in Tesco (€10 for 44 pouches) and they still had some last night and also in SuperValu this morning. I know you've a few moggies yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭howareyakid

First of all, I feel that some of the abuse going around about people who have attended Cheltenham is a bit over the top. I want to say that I agree that the festival should have been called off or held behind closed doors and I say that as a horse racing fan and someone who enjoys Cheltenham every year. But that decision was down to the authorities and they didn’t make it. Whether that will prove to be a huge mistake, only time will tell but some of the abuse that’s going on here isn’t helping anyone I don’t think. Cheltenham has become the lightening rod for people’s anger, rightly or wrongly but I feel in times of crisis, like the one we are potentially facing with Covid-19, turning in each other and abusing people’s choices isn’t going to get us anywhere. Hopefully people who have attended Cheltenham will follow the guidelines and we’ll be able to contain to the best of our abilities the cases of Covid-19 (if any, it must be said even as unlikely as that may appear to be) that have been contracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭trashcan

This man is a Level 100.

Indeed. Genius. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Ficheall wrote: »
    I think it's pretty harmful to be speculating that a load of people in Ireland have already had this and come through it just fine. Making people complacent is not really what we should be angling for.

Agreed. I think the HSE advice is the only game in town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

This should be moved to conspiracy theories as it keeps coming up. It was officially confirmed what was going around at Christmas time was a strain of influenza.
    That strain made you feel really awful but it did not attack the lungs as aggressively as covid-19

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Here is a thread on when Ireland had Covid-19 in 2014.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057151688

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

First of all, I feel that some of the abuse going around about people who have attended Cheltenham is a bit over the top. I want to say that I agree that the festival should have been called off or held behind closed doors and I say that as a horse racing fan and someone who enjoys Cheltenham every year. But that decision was down to the authorities and they didn’t make it. Whether that will prove to be a huge mistake, only time will tell but some of the abuse that’s going on here isn’t helping anyone I don’t think. Cheltenham has become the lightening rod for people’s anger, rightly or wrongly but I feel in times of crisis, like the one we are potentially facing with Covid-19, turning in each other and abusing people’s choices isn’t going to get us anywhere. Hopefully people who have attended Cheltenham will follow the guidelines and we’ll be able to contain to the best of our abilities the cases of Covid-19 (if any, it must be said even as unlikely as that may appear to be) that have been contracted.

Perhaps if they admitted that it was a bad idea instead of sneering and spoofing in response to reasoned criticism people may be more kindly disposed towards them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

JoChervil wrote: »
    But it was spotted. 25% hike in over 75 years old
    Sure JoC, but no mention of a similar spike in deaths of the over 75's or a spike in viral pneumonias in general. I wonder if that info is out there?

The other thing is that we weren't looking for any new virus back then, even the early news in January of Covid19 was seen as a more local Chinese thing like SARS. If I had walked into an Irish hospital with actual Covid19 in December and even died from it, I'd be extremely surprised if any doctor would have spotted something new. Understandably. I'd have been marked down as viral pneumonia, possible complication of influenza. Even at the epicentre it took at least a month before the WTF? really started to gain pace. Yes there were some very clever and brave individuals who raised flags, but while they were proven horribly right it's easy to forget that it was possible that they might have been wrong.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Here's the AH thread about the flu dose at Christmas. With the usual and wildly incorrect "if you had flu you'd know about it, you've just got a cold" comments from many. Genuine fact numero 215: One third of people with confirmed influenza infection show few to no symptoms at all.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭howareyakid

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Perhaps if they admitted that it was a bad idea instead of sneering and spoofing in response to reasoned criticism people may be more kindly disposed towards them.

I don’t think everyone who attended would have that approach, but unfortunately some appear to have. But it’s happened now. Abusing people isn’t going to help. Hopefully people will follow the guidelines and we can deal with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

If there was a case of equine flu going around the paddocks, you can bet your tailpipe that the horse racing authorities would have binned the whole festival right away... can't be risking those expensive thoroughbreds.... ;)

But regarding a threat over human life? Not such a big deal... really shows you exactly what these guys think about the average punter going to Cheltenham. The only thing they care about, is getting the money out of their pockets at the end of the day! (And the punters are no better btw - putting the rest of the country at risk just for a pointless few horse races!)

The only innocent party in all of this, is the horses... let those beautiful creatures back into the country. Quarantine all the other selfish gobsh!tes! Give them a few weeks to chill out and think about their foolishness for a while! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,575 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Feisar wrote: »
    Just on the general topic, do people not keep a decent stock of stuff at home regardless of the current scenario?

This is going to run for weeks and weeks, if not months.
    Not ready to dip into the reserves just yet so still trying to do the weekly shop as usual.
    Keeping the dried pasta, crackers, soups and long life milks in reserve in case there's a more restrictive lockdown \ surge in risk of community transmission.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

And a thread from 2015 with people discussing their history of Covid-19
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057394059

Glebee wrote: »
    They will end up eating the rabbit when food runs out.

My father actually organised that and we were not short of food..

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Here's the AH thread about the flu dose at Christmas. With the usual and wildly incorrect "if you had flu you'd know about it, you've just got a cold" comments from many. Genuine fact numero 215: One third of people with confirmed influenza infection show few to no symptoms at all.
    So the OP lalababa had it in 2017 too? And SURVIVED? Arah sure we're grand then. Nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,575 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

RTE: Extra members of the (GARDA) force are to be deployed around businesses such as supermarkets and pharmacies to provide reassurance and support to business and the public.
    ... and to prevent fighting. :)

They will be supporting the businesses by patronising them... great move guys, throw more hungry people into the mix!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

:D

I live in a very isolated area and had stock already but topped up today. I now should have enough for a month. Surely that's a good thing as I don't have to have contact with anyone for a month now. People saying shops will have plenty of stock are actually condoning multiple trips to shops when one could do. Two sides to every story.

Much the same out here; will top up next Thursday but got a huge shop last week. A lot depends on location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Antares35 wrote: »
    We were lucky we had done our usual "big" fortnightly shop on Sunday, so we didn't really need anything except some oranges and grapefruits for juicing and nice crusty white bread that I tend to buy fresh as it doesn't freeze well. J*sus the place was decimated. Only pears and venison steaks left.

Popped into the local Supervalu on the way to work this morning and everything was re-stocked. There was nobody panic buying. The only reason I would stock up is to enable me to avoid the shops over the next while. Will be working from home and having lectures streamed, so if the shopping is in, no need to go near the hysterical crowds in shops :) Am quite looking forward to the break from interactions :P

I really think if people tried hard enough, most houses in the country would have a months supply of food - just need to be a bit creative.[/QUOTE]

But why? there is literally no need to do that?

Shops are NOT going to run out of stock, maybe 24 hrs max.

The only reason people freaked last night was because the Government rightly decided to close down institutions and public amenities; the country as a whole has not shut down. The lights are still going to be on this time next week. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭moycullen14

I think the timing is very unfortunate. If Cheltenham was on last week, it wouldn't have been such an issue, next week and it would have been cancelled. It's a very different world today from last Friday.

Can't help thinking the brits are being very laissez-faire about the virus, though. Was on to a colleague in the UK yesterday and got no sense of urgency about Covid at all. 'Nah, mate, no cases here', he was amazed that we're all WFH and self-isolating as much as possible. Mind you, he could just be an eejit.

Is the rugby (WALES/Scotland) still on? Amazing if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭moycullen14

If there was a case of equine flu going around the paddocks, you can bet your tailpipe that the horse racing authorities would have binned the whole festival right away... can't be risking those expensive thoroughbreds.... ;)

But regarding a threat over human life? Not such a big deal... really shows you exactly what these guys think about the average punter going to Cheltenham. The only thing they care about, is getting the money out of their pockets at the end of the day! (And the punters are no better btw - putting the rest of the country at risk just for a pointless few horse races!)

The only innocent party in all of this, is the horses... let those beautiful creatures back into the country. Quarantine all the other selfish gobsh!tes! Give them a few weeks to chill out and think about their foolishness for a while! :D

I get the sense that horse racing is a rich man's sport, financed by poor people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Antares35 wrote: »
    We buy ours online as it works out so much cheaper. €50 per 12kilo bag of dried compared with €75 for 10kilo bag in local pet store. We have so many rescues, I really don't feel bad about importing it. Graces the Felix is on special in Tesco (€10 for 44 pouches) and they still had some last night and also in SuperValu this morning. I know you've a few moggies yourself!

Lucky to have a contact to get mixed pouches out back door of the factory.

Last box had 40 pouches for €5, huge variety of brands and flavours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 edit_me

Its called gambling addiction......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Should be barred reentry in to Ireland.

Morons.

Hahahahaha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement