Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid stuff to Current Affairs

Options
  • 08-03-2020 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

In general proper hand washing is as good as using a hand sanitiser. However for people such as my mother who is in her eighties and suffering from cancer hand sanitisers can be vital. She needs to have one in her hall so that visitors make sure they don't carry in any infection.

We cannot get hold of any, but ut my local chemist told me that when they got a stock in recently people were grabbing handfuls and they were sold out in minutes.

Can I just appeal to people to be aware that if, as a healthy low risk family, they are depleting shops of hand sanitisers, many of which will remain in cupboards unused, they are depriving ill and vulnerable people and their families of a simple way of keeping a loved one safe.

Please, if stocks are replenished, don't hog them and stock pile.. Leave enough to keep ill and vulnerable n people safe.
    Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Presume if you check donedeal or whatever you will get it

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A lot of workplaces are buying them in bulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am sorry you can’t get any , could you make your own and put it in a dispenser ?

Rubbing alcohol
    Aloe vera gel
    Tee tree oil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Is rubbing alcohol freely available?

Put some bleach in the dispenser. That'll teach people to stop calling around until the hand sanitisers are back in stock.

• Advertisement

Is rubbing alcohol freely available?

Its called surgical spirits here and easily bought over the counter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

somewhat hilariously I checked where the hand sanatiser I bought my folks was made...CHINA!! You couldn’t make it up!!’!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

BellaBella wrote: »
    In general proper hand washing is as good as using a hand sanitiser. However for people such as my mother who is in her eighties and suffering from cancer hand sanitisers can be vital. She needs to have one in her hall so that visitors make sure they don't carry in any infection.

We cannot get hold of any, but ut my local chemist told me that when they got a stock in recently people were grabbing handfuls and they were sold out in minutes.

Can I just appeal to people to be aware that if, as a healthy low risk family, they are depleting shops of hand sanitisers, many of which will remain in cupboards unused, they are depriving ill and vulnerable people and their families of a simple way of keeping a loved one safe.

Please, if stocks are replenished, don't hog them and stock pile.. Leave enough to keep ill and vulnerable n people safe.
    Agreed.. but the onus should also be on pharmacies, such as my own local chemist who kept the stock for customers in your Mums position.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Its called surgical spirits here and easily bought over the counter

Smell is potent though so add essential oil to mask it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I am sorry you can’t get any , could you make your own and put it in a dispenser ?

Rubbing alcohol
    Aloe vera gel
    Tee tree oil

I've heard aloe Vera also out of stock from making their own.

I remember years ago pharmacists were able to make up their own concoctions of creams etc. I think health and safety put a stop to that. It would be a lil earner for them if they could make and sell batches.... ill wind n all that.

Op could you appeal to your local hospital or hospice where your mum is attending?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Toffeeboy

Aldi in limerick had it today. Two per customer. 79c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

Same here, family member going through Chemo. None to be got locally and tried Boots online out of stock too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,973 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Hand washing is just as good and always available. Your mam just needs to direct guests to the sink to wash their hands with soap when they enter the house just as she would have directed them to use hand gel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Yes I'm going to say to her that for the moment she just needs to direct people into the cloakroom and explain her doctor has told her to make sure visitors wash their hands thoroughly when calling in.

Buying online is not an option. As usual unscrupulous and greedy people are cashing in on other peoples problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,886 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

somewhat hilariously I checked where the hand sanatiser I bought my folks was made...CHINA!! You couldn’t make it up!!’!

It's totally useless unless it has a high alcohol content. I think 65 percent or higher. Most of the ones from China are cheap knock offs with little alcohol content

Absolute imbeciles. Though most of the population have well proven by now that they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,886 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Hand washing is just as good and always available. Your mam just needs to direct guests to the sink to wash their hands with soap when they enter the house just as she would have directed them to use hand gel.

Proper hand washing is far better than hand sanatiser according to HSE

Yes I'm going to say to her that for the moment she just needs to direct people into the cloakroom and explain her doctor has told her to make sure visitors wash their hands thoroughly when calling in.

Buying online is not an option. As usual unscrupulous and greedy people are cashing in on other peoples problems.

Have a separate towel for visitors too :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Absolute imbeciles. Though most of the population have well proven by now that they are.
    I wouldn't say most, but I'd reckon about a third are total morons, another third have their moron moments and a third are fairly well clued in.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Where can I hey this rubbing alcohol guys? I'd like to get some tomorrow along with aloe Vera to make my own.

• Advertisement

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Where can I hey this rubbing alcohol guys? I'd like to get some tomorrow along with aloe Vera to make my own.

You can buy surgical spirits in any chemist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Soap anyone?

You can buy surgical spirits in any chemist

Wait til the hordes cop on to that one.

Wait til the hordes cop on to that one.

I've heard chemists are out of stock of that too

I got some today no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

and then there's always methylated spirits in your local DIY shop (just don't confuse it with white spirits)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

3,802 people forgot to wash their hands
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I think if you are melodramatic and convinced that this is some sort of global Armageddon then you will find that it is virtually impossible to get your hands on any sanitizer at all. Start blaming someone else now, or at least victimise a state body or blame someone for giving you poor advice.

However if you are using lemon juice, or vinegar or indeed diluted terpentine or paint stripper and you don't believe the world is going to end you should be fine. Alternatively you could just wash your hands with soap and warm water regularly.

I remember reading before that viruses are more attracted to panic (
    that's a lie sorry, I couldn't help myself there, apols etc
    ).

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Braids

Any soap fine - nurses in local hospital told me "wash your hands for 30 seconds (eg sing Happy Birthday twice through should do it)".
    Also if you have any Dettol in the house, mix a capful with 1 litre of water (clean out an old spray bottle). This works as good as any
    disinfectant.

If it comes into the house, be sure to clean the door handles leading to bedroom doors, bathroom etc with this, then throw away the tissue etc in a lined bin. Be sure to tie the liner before putting it into the black bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Proper hand washing is far better than hand sanatiser according to HSE

HSE is way behind as usual. New guidelines (outside of Ireland) recommend alcohol sanitisers as people tend to be more compliant with it, it's quicker and there are less steps involved that may contribute to contamination (touching sink, drying hands properly, etc). The exception is after going to the toilet, alcohol is not enough then.

Also, the gel people need to buy must be at least 70% alcohol and a lot of them found in the shops are not concentrated enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement