Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid stuff to Current Affairs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

Rear-end poker games!

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Firstly jockeys don't use a true whip like in dressage. (and no dressage whips are not cruel either but there is a technical difference between a whip and a crop) They use a crop. They also padded as far as i know.

They are made of fiber glass and very flexible to absorb force.

They don't hurt the horse. They are an aid just like the leg your seat your hands and your voice.

They are not that different from the types of crops you will see at every riding school in the country. I have used them myself. Used correctly they are not painful and not cruel. And i didn't use a padded one.

I am not vermin. I just know how to use a crop. :rolleyes: Its also for steering and getting the horse's shoulders schooled behind the nose etc.

As far as i know jockeys can't hit the tummy ...only the quarters and shoulder ...

If you think they hurt ...go slap yourself with one and see. (I have ....we used to chase each other round with them ...the correct whips don't hurt).

Why in the name of god if we whipped horses until it hurt would they not try and buck us off?

Have you ever seen a horse react to a bee sting??? I have been on a horse that got stung in the rump by some flying insect ...he went bucking mental!

Have you seen horses out in the field they bite kick etc and that's just playing!

Every kid in a riding school uses a crop.

If you want to help improve racing ..ask them to start backing horses later and older.
    No horse should race until 4/5

Does it hurt when their legs break during a race?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Wibbs wrote: »
    She also told me they got a consignment of masks on Tuesday IIRC that were gone within the day and yet not one person has walked into the pharmacy actually wearing one. That's just how dumb some mo'fos are.

I know you love your stories and all, but why would someone who has just been to the pharmacy be back again so soon?
    i.e. Why would you expect the people who bought the masks on a Tuesday to be the same people coming back in since then?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,827 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Limitting shopping to basket use only should be applied until this calms down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Antares35 wrote: »
    We were lucky we had done our usual "big" fortnightly shop on Sunday, so we didn't really need anything except some oranges and grapefruits for juicing and nice crusty white bread that I tend to buy fresh as it doesn't freeze well. J*sus the place was decimated. Only pears and venison steaks left.

Popped into the local Supervalu on the way to work this morning and everything was re-stocked. There was nobody panic buying. The only reason I would stock up is to enable me to avoid the shops over the next while. Will be working from home and having lectures streamed, so if the shopping is in, no need to go near the hysterical crowds in shops :) Am quite looking forward to the break from interactions :P

I really think if people tried hard enough, most houses in the country would have a months supply of food - just need to be a bit creative.[/QUOTE]

But why? there is literally no need to do that?

Shops are NOT going to run out of stock, maybe 24 hrs max.

The only reason people freaked last night was because the Government rightly decided to close down institutions and public amenities; the country as a whole has not shut down. The lights are still going to be on this time next week. :rolleyes:

It is inevitable that over the next while the decision to ask people to remain at home on lockdown will happen. Access to shopping would be very limited at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Ush1 wrote: »

We'll never know. They don't live to tell the tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Why? It’s every man for themselves. You snooze you lose!!!!!!

It’s the apocalypse people!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I don't know, I think people need to learn from their mistakes. Let them off.
    They'll know how idiotic they were when they are binning it while the shops are fully stocked.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

GreeBo wrote: »
    I know you love your stories and all, but why would someone who has just been to the pharmacy be back again so soon?
    i.e. Why would you expect the people who bought the masks on a Tuesday to be the same people coming back in since then?:confused:
    Simple. Small local pharmacy with regular repeat customers, such as people with chronic illness, or carers of same(when I was the latter I'd often be in twice a week and it's how I got to know the staff). And of course a fair chunk of the usual hypochondriacs. Plus they got masks before they got a delivery of hand sanitiser. Generally the same people panic buying masks are panic buying hand sanitiser(and apparently paracetamol, with a side order of latex gloves), so repeat visits.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I thought Covid-19 is a new strain? I get the flu shot annually and the flu shot wouldn't cover this. I usually get colds easily too but I didn't even get a sniffle this winter. I had some bad hayfever and asthma two years ago. If Covid-19 was doing the rounds, surely it would have set up camp in my lungs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,624 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Could create difficulty for people shopping for a big family or the old/infirm who can't carry a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I don't know, I think people need to learn from their mistakes. Let them off.
    They'll know how idiotic they were when they are binning it while the shops are fully stocked.

Binning what? Sure that’s what a good ol American fridge freezer is for.

First time ours has been full. Feels great. No need to go near a shop for months!

I pity the fools with small fridge freezers!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

If there was a case of equine flu going around the paddocks, you can bet your tailpipe that the horse racing authorities would have binned the whole festival right away... can't be risking those expensive thoroughbreds.... ;)

Sad but true. Some of the horse racing goers won't like to admit it, but this is how it is. We saw this last year when certain racecourses suspended race meetings due to an Equine Flu outbreak. The horses are more important than the punters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭enricoh

Went past the Aldi beside me n it was jammed, if it was half decent I would have got a few bits.
    5 minutes away is a big Centra, all the shelves were full. Plenty of good value special offers on n didn't see anyone overloading trollies.

Some people love drama, let them at it!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Ush1 wrote: »
    The same as when they break it in the field or stable. My little heavy cob races his field mates all the time, it's what horses like to do. If you see a horse whose jockey has fallen off, in most cases, the horse races on.

I do think that the English authorities are very behind the curve, but racing isn't the only sport still being held there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

endacl wrote: »
    You had a cold. If you had flu you’d know it.
    You're quite simply wrong.
    With the usual and wildly incorrect "if you had flu you'd know about it, you've just got a cold" comments from many. Genuine fact numero 215: One third of people with confirmed influenza infection show few to no symptoms at all.
    If you don't believe me...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Wibbs wrote: »
    Here's the AH thread about the flu dose at Christmas. With the usual and wildly incorrect "if you had flu you'd know about it, you've just got a cold" comments from many. Genuine fact numero 215: One third of people with confirmed influenza infection show few to no symptoms at all.
    endacl wrote: »
    You had a cold. If you had flu you’d know it.

:pac:

enricoh wrote: »

just stay out of their wake. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Seen a little old lady get crushed yesterday

She was running up an escalator carrying a large flatscreen tv when the crowd surged downwards

For info, fruit and veg are still available (if you can get inside a shop), whilst microwave burgers and sugary cereals had a record sales day. Well done, you stupid c*nts.
    Stupid fat c*nts by the sounds of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,620 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The government should have made educational videos for the RTE News showing the size of the distribution centres of all the main supermarkets in this country

don't think your average sham on the street realises the scale of these operations

Yeah Lidl just built a new distribution centre outside Newbridge and next to the M7. Passed it a few weeks back and from the road you can see all the loading bays for lorries to pull up and be filled, they are numbered and theres 75 in total. The building is massive. AFAIK Tescos distribution centre in Ballymun is the biggest building in Ireland.

Just did an oul freezer stocktake and found 2 venison steaks and a packet of garlic and herb scallops I bought at Xmas so its luxury isolation here tonight ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Muahahaha wrote:
    Yeah Lidl just built a new distribution centre outside Newbridge and next to the M7. Passed it a few weeks back and from the road you can see all the loading bays for lorries to pull up, they are numbered and theres 75 in total. The building is massive. AFAIK Tescos distribution centre in Ballymun is the biggest building in Ireland.

So the numpty who was here earlier might not have to guard his stock of jaffa cakes with a shotgun after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

_Brian wrote: »

It is inevitable that over the next while the decision to ask people to remain at home on lockdown will happen. Access to shopping would be very limited at that stage.

There will still be access.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

"We are not amused," as a famous person once said.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,928 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Avoid news and media, who have industry experts and very up to date information, but listen to some randomer on boards.....

it's all panic on news and media

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah Lidl just built a new distribution centre outside Newbridge and next to the M7. Passed it a few weeks back and from the road you can see all the loading bays for lorries to pull up and be filled, they are numbered and theres 75 in total. The building is massive. AFAIK Tescos distribution centre in Ballymun is the biggest building in Ireland.

Just did an oul freezer stocktake and found 2 venison steaks and a packet of garlic and herb scallops I bought at Xmas so its luxury isolation here tonight ;)

I think it’s their donnabate depot is the largest building in Ireland...all the temperature controlled stock comes from Ballymun...I’d say that’s massive aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

aaronc182 wrote: »
    I think it’s their donnabate depot is the largest building in Ireland...all the temperature controlled stock comes from Ballymun...I’d say that’s massive aswell

They are both Tescos distribution centres Donabate is the 2nd largest in Europe and Ballymun is the largest chill in Ireland. Worked in both of them

• Registered Users Posts: 28,575 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

enricoh wrote: »
    Went past the Aldi beside me n it was jammed, if it was half decent I would have got a few bits.
    5 minutes away is a big Centra, all the shelves were full. Plenty of good value special offers on n didn't see anyone overloading trollies.

What is this 'Centra' of which you speak? It sounds like a vision of shopping heaven :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah. Haven't seen that panic buying since the Buzz Lightyear Wars of 1995

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Anything that purely exists for gambling will be gone soon, that rubbish included.

Bet you a tenner it won't!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement