Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid stuff to Current Affairs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I did a shop in MaxiZoo for dog food. Plenty on the shelves of everything.
    My Jack Russell must have the liver friendly stuff as she is basically wrecked.
    My two dogs are on their "holidays" in the countryside as I was in hospital.
    The owner of the dog stay place told me this morning of many cancellations as the dog owners are cancelling holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Well I'm just back from a Centra in Westport.

Plenty stuff there, hand sanitizer gone of course but plenty bog roll :rolleyes: , went there because I reckoned Tesco and Lidil would still be spare/busy.

Stop panic buying folks. There is plenty in stock.

Stop panic buying. Wash your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

BanditLuke wrote: »
    That thread is a farce. I got roundly abused on it a couple of weeks ago and decided to walk away when i pleaded for more awareness and pro action against the virus.

Said people needed to prepare and educate themselves on what was happening in China, abused.

Said it was right to cancel the rugby, abused.

Said it was right to cancel flights from Italy, abused.

Said it was right to cancel Cheltenham, football, close the schools etc.., abused.

Good few really good posters got banned from it early doors for "creating panic" apparently. Funnily enough a renowned doctor from Denmark was on the radio yesterday saying the ridiculous push back against "panic" has caused more harm than good and lead people into a false sense of security.

Yeah but absolute sh itshow in there for a long while tbh. But sure we'll be grand, it's just a cold bro.

I think opinions have swung around significantly now. There might still be a certain amouny of normalcy bias but people are taking it far more seriously now. I think the current restrictions are only the thin edge of the wedge both in duration and extent of the restrictions we're going to see.

What's the saying? - a prophet has no honour in his own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Dont worry. Chuck Norris has got this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    As Richard Dawkins says - we all possess a selfish gene. It's in our nature to often put ourselves first if there's a risk of resources becoming limited.

If you are stockpiling and everyone knows it, surely you are putting yourself at risk as those without will be making for your doors or windows if supplies run out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

JoChervil wrote: »
    I don't think they are incompetent. There were no tests for corona available in December to check it...

Yes but they attributed the increase in cases to flu. So they'd have to be pretty incompetent if it turned out to be a virus from a different family of viruses.

If it had been a 25% increase in cases of unexplained pneumonia then there might be more reason to suspect it was coronavirus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Find a good box set to watch
    Read a book (if your the kind of nerd whose into books)
    Watch classic sporting videos on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Dont worry. Chuck Norris has got this.

`You don't **** with Chuck

• Registered Users Posts: 24,986 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Lundstram wrote: »
    What business is it of yours what others do? Stay at home until it's all over if you're that concerned.

Why should people become housebound because a bunch of selfish knuckle draggers want to disregard expert advice and attend this non obligatory social event ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    As Richard Dawkins says - we all possess a selfish gene.
    He doesn’t say that. You just read the title, didn’t you? Not the actual book?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

I think opinions have swung around significantly now. There might still be a certain amouny of normalcy bias but people are taking it far more seriously now. I think the current restrictions are only the thin edge of the wedge both in duration and extent of the restrictions we're going to see.

What's the saying? - a prophet has no honour in his own country.

They aren't taking it seriously enough. Local playground this morning packed with kids and parents. Fcukwits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The company I work for have just announced that anybody returning from Cheltenham is not to return to work for a minimum of 2 weeks.

You were banned for your comments on the Horse Racing forum.

I know and you've said that repeatedly. Do you actually have a point?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    The company I work for have just announced that anybody returning from Cheltenham is not to return to work for a minimum of 2 weeks.

Excellent news. Hopefully without pay though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

gct wrote: »
    I had what I thought was a cold/flu just before Christmas.
    You had a cold. If you had flu you’d know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

xzanti wrote: »
    Can see a good album coming of all this.

Now That's What I Call a Pandemic.

I think dynomutt can manage that on his own

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

Why?

You can't do that. That would leave the employer open to several lawsuits, without a leg to stand on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

MOR316 wrote: »
    Why?

You can't do that. That would leave the employer open to several lawsuits, without a leg to stand on

They'll get paid under the company sick-pay scheme. They are also advised to self-isolate but obvously the company can't control that aspect of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,986 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve seen it first hand, in my grander circle of friends there are two of us who have zero interest in horse racing, the other four would be big into it as in time off for Cheltnam etc. if you ever tried to interrupt a racing conversation or stop to say hi as they are on the way rushing to the bookies they have a rabid far away scary stare... it’s a type of addiction, adventure and obsession. In normal aspects of life the most reasoned, reasonable and relaxed people, always found it odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I did a shop in MaxiZoo for dog food. Plenty on the shelves of everything.
    My Jack Russell must have the liver friendly stuff as she is basically wrecked.
    My two dogs are on their "holidays" in the countryside as I was in hospital.
    The owner of the dog stay place told me this morning of many cancellations as the dog owners are cancelling holidays.

Yeah but what do you think I am going to eat dog food or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Surprised nobody has suggested just keeping up with the main Covid thread in Current Affairs / IMHO. It's a full time activity all in itself!

I spent the last three days lying on the couch, laptop on chest, scrolling through that thread. Endless. It became addictive and actually made my mental state worse.

Today's the first day I've been off it and I feel way more positive. Sure, everything is going to sh!t but at least I'm not reading about it for 8 hours. I've got my shop in, the kids are home, I've nowhere to be for the next 2 - 3 weeks, and that's all I can do.

Did you bring the travel scrabble Dougal?

I'm going to go to my local Aldi and start pulling stuff out of people's trolleys, possession = 9/10ths of the law at the moment.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Football going ahead is dumb, but what makes Cheltenham particularly dumb and people should have known better to travel, is that tens of thousands of people will be congregating for 5 days straight, all day long, huge amounts of grubby cash being passed around, then the ancillary brazzers, cocaine and p*ssups for the entire week. It was wreckless to let it go ahead, but it was also wreckless to travel to it.

Sorry not sorry if the betting shop types are upset with that assessment.

Love when posters get all hot and bothered without knowing basic facts. Fact is that it's a 4 day festival, not 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

High-end poker games.

And by high-end, I mean playing for toilet paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

High-end poker games.

And by high-end, I mean playing for toilet paper.

Rear-end poker games!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So I thought that I would kick off a thread about people acting the complete maggot during this Covid-19 pandemic situation.

First one up - a 30 year old Dutchman, on a flight from Amsterdam to Dublin, has been jailed for causing pandemonium on the Aer Lingus flight after he told cabin crew that he needed to stay on his mobile phone call to his mother as she had the virus.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0312/1121915-hoax-covid-19-aer-lingus/

Complete tool who got what he deserved.

I know it's an individual but what makes me laugh about those Dutch is that they're normally the first people to tut and scold anybody for acting 'out of line'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭pgj2015

no.8 wrote: »
    That's a very odd philosophy. Im sure you would wear one if you knew those walking around you had it. Its not only the risk of you getting it, it's the risk of you passing it on.

not sure why you are sure of that because no I wouldnt wear one if everyone else had it, id rather just get it and have it over with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

If you are stockpiling and everyone knows it, surely you are putting yourself at risk as those without will be making for your doors or windows if supplies run out

That's if people know you are stockpiling. Even trickier if you have eaten half the food.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement