Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid stuff to Current Affairs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,982 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Any updates on if places are fully restocked this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Any updates on if places are fully restocked this morning?

Supermarkets restock every morning. They’re not magically going to have full shelves, but for eg Friday fruit and veg delivery for this weekend would have been large anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The schools weren't closing two days ago. The Paddy's Day parade wasn't cancelled last weekend.

People are frightened of what's coming down the line next week as this situation escalates, particularly because twice in one year we had full-on countrywide lockdowns due to storms (Hurricane Ophelia and The Beast From The East) in which literally everything closed down - and with no more than 24 hours' notice. Now it was justified on both of those occasions - lives would have been lost if the country hadn't battened down the hatches - and if it happens this time it'll probably be justified as well. But it doesn't change the fact that for all people know, the shops could be ordered to close their doors on Monday with an unknown and indefinite time period before they'll reopen again.

Ultimately, this is because of exceptionally bad communication on the part of our officials and government, over such a long period of time that people expect last minute snap decisions in times of crisis. They take far too long to tell people what's really going on and by the time they do, people have already taken the situation into their own hands. It's not as if Ireland doesn't have form for this in fairness (remember when "the IMF are not coming to Ireland" when they were literally being photographed getting off the plane at Dublin Airport?) and people are legitimately worried that the whole country could go into "red weather alert" lockdown next week for an indefinite time period.

I'm not suggesting that panic buying is necessary or responsible, by the way. But I do think the condemnation of those doing it is unfair. Official Ireland does not respond well to real time crises, always reacting and never being proactive. I think this is an example of people trying to be proactive because they're aware that those in charge will make arbitrary decisions with absolutely no warning whatsoever and it'll be too late to do anything once those decisions are made.

In other words, the government saying "supply lines are grand, there's no need to panic buy" today will be no use to people if they say "change of plan, we want all shops and businesses to close indefinitely from 9AM today" tomorrow morning - and this is the kind of thing which does happen in Ireland. So people are preparing for that kind of scenario. Again, I'm not doing it and I really don't think it is or will become necessary, but I understand the mindset behind it. A sizeable cohort of people don't believe a word of any official announcements since they're liable to be U-turned without a moments notice mere hours after they're announced, and that's because we have a longstanding issue with appalling communication between those in charge and everyone else.

Thank you most fervently for this post, all of it but especially bolded. Panic is a terrible feeling and demands ACTIOn without thought

AFAIK no one has been left foodless because folk panicked? Shops knew this would happen and will have made arrangements accordingly and as it is those who have stocked in advance who are complaining....

Let us see how all this changes in the time ahead?

OK; offline now. Not doing well but that is normal too!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭dontpanic

Graces7 wrote: »
    Panic is a terrible feeling and demands ACTIOn without thought

*I may be reading this part wrong* but this to me is precisely the problem? Panic should not demand action without thought! Panic is a feeling. It's up to us as adults to calmly assess a situation and the solutions and then act.

I personally haven't stocked up but am making sure to practice good hygiene when I go out (washing hands, avoiding touch, coughing/ sneezing into cloth like always!)

I think the best solution to this happening yet again is to prevent panic hoarding of specific items by limiting the amount of items each person can buy. At least make it harder for people to buy 36 cans of beans. I think that's mostly where the issue lies - taking ALL of a particular product so that everyone else is then stuck!

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    As Richard Dawkins says - we all possess a selfish gene.

Not sure that is what he actually said though.
    dontpanic wrote: »
    I think the best solution to this happening yet again is to prevent panic hoarding of specific items by limiting the amount of items each person can buy.

Not really relevant but you reminded me of a funny experience a few weeks ago. I was buying 4 boxes of Lempsip Extra for a guy who was travelling back to a country where you can not get it - and the local equivalents of it are not over the counter like they are here.

Anyway the till operator told me she is only meant to sell one per customer. I apologised and said I would put three of them back. She said nah - its grand - she would just put them through in 4 separate transactions.

Was fun handing over money and getting change 4 times for the same thing. Glad she did not think I was a Junkie looking for my next Lempsip high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Only 2 of us in the house these days, so we usually nip down to the local supermarket and get what we fancy for dinner that night. I think we'll change our routine for a while and do a weekly big shop. It's just to cut down the number of visits and I certainly won't be bulk buying, except the wine naturally. Can't be taking chances there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Supermarkets restock every morning. They’re not magically going to have full shelves, but for eg Friday fruit and veg delivery for this weekend would have been large anyway.

We supply 2 major retailers.
    Due to the greed and stupidity of these shoppers, the orders are massive, bigger than the Xmas rush.

The supply chain is fine, there is no shortage of products, the only shortage is on the shelves after these fools fill their trollies each day.

We can fill orders at the current volume for a few days but after that we don't have the time to physically prepare the product for the stores. The product is there , but because they are fresh produce its time consuming.
    Its a knock on effect.

If people would just relax, the food is there...

Id hate to be a bin man in about 3-4 weeks time...…

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 26,336 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So many people who think their opinion is gospel. Most genuine people are doing what's right for the and their families. We stocked up yesterday because we live beside my parents and my father has a serious heart condition. Was it risky with all the people there... Probably. But we made the choice that it was less risky than having constantly go to the shops. It was a choice. Hopefully the right one. People who have elderly relatives are seriously worried and are making decisions based on that. As they should. We do our shop on Thursday everyweek so we have reduced our exposure as we won't have to shop again for quite a while. That's our thinking.please don't start keyboard warrior bs on people trying to look out for their families.

Nonsense tbh.

For every 100 selfish yobs out there "stocking up" yesterday, that fantasy scenario probably applies to one or two of them

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Supermarkets replenish their stocks daily that includes, fresh, dry goods and non food some of the larger Tescos would receive 6 deliveries a day from their DC's and from different suppliers eg milk, bread and even crisps.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Seemingly there were Qs to get into Tesco Liffey Valley this morning - idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭justincasey

The panic has started already in my local Tesco car park full at 7.00 ..most ikely to catch the virus in a supermarket at this stage

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Fireball81 wrote: »
    Seemingly there were Qs to get into Tesco Liffey Valley this morning - idiots.

My mother reported the same in Tesco Artane Castle

The panic has started already in my local Tesco car park full at 7.00 ..most ikely to catch the virus in a supermarket at this stage

Oh lord what are the chances of me getting my hands on a carton of fresh milk for my coffee?!

it's 2018 all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Supermarkets replenish their stocks daily that includes, fresh, dry goods and non food some of the larger Tescos would receive 6 deliveries a day from their DC's and from different suppliers eg milk, bread and even crisps.

I worked in the country’s second or third (depending on week) busiest Dunnes for almost 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I was in my local lidl yesterday has been stripped but funnily I just needed a few things and got everything except my usual fair trade coffee and butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

How dafuq do these people afford to be able to panic buy?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Oh lord what are the chances of me getting my hands on a carton of fresh milk for my coffee?!

MyMilkman.ie is your friend.

Get your milk delivered to your door..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

My milk goes out of date today. Should I panic? xD

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

I worked in the country’s second or third (depending on week) busiest Dunnes for almost 5 years.

I've worked in distribution mamaging sites for the last 24 years and Dunnes have the worst distribution model of all the grocery chains in Ireland. Their fresh food is mostly done by Sam Dennigans their clothing is done by Wincanton and alcohol is done by pulse logistics. They deal directly with suppliers for the rest of their goods, really poor decentralised distribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I was in my local lidl yesterday has been stripped but funnily I just needed a few things and got everything except my usual fair trade coffee and butter.

You know things are bad when people are resorting to buying fair trade coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭justincasey

YES

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No. Just buy some more.

MyMilkman.ie is your friend.

Get your milk delivered to your door..

I barely drink 1 litre a week....so I'm thinking I should buy 12 litres this week just to be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

I've nothing against it. People are preparing for the worst, perhaps they don't trust the government and expect this quasi lockdown to go on for much longer than 2 weeks (which it will).
    I have a feeling many of those whinging have green eyed monster they haven't stocked up.

With all the bulk buying etc it reminds me of a old saying.

It's better to be prepared five years in advance than one day too late.

Hard to argue with that simple logic!. :pac:

With all the bulk buying etc it reminds me of a old saying.

There isn't one iota of jealousy within me. In fact I'm kind of embarrassed that the nation is acting like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,537 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If people are buying non perishable goods then there is no problem, it gives them a sense they are doing something to protect their family, this literally is a never before event.

I was due to do our weekly shop yesterday but I’ll leave it off until Monday or Tuesday when the shops quieten down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭harr

Normally do on line shop for delivery or click and collect and it’s all down this morning with nothing available. Only get paid today to do weekly shop and nothing left to purchase. My elderly parents in same situation pension today and I normally bring them in on a Friday for a shop and again nothing left. What people did yesterday was stupid and will leave vulnerable people short on essential supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,428 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

There isn't one iota of jealousy within me. In fact I'm kind of embarrassed that the nation is acting like this.

Not sure why...its standard human nature.
    You have those who are prudent and will start stocking up on long term foods.
    Then you have those that panic and start buying anything they can shove into their trolley.
    Its all just human nature...not a nice part but hey at least we're not looting....yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

That Dutch guy is nothing. There are people who can't get a loaf of bread at the moment because of the reprehensible, selfish, lumps of sh*t who went out and filled a couple of trolleys full of "essentials" yesterday.

For info, fruit and veg are still available (if you can get inside a shop), whilst microwave burgers and sugary cereals had a record sales day. Well done, you stupid c*nts.

• Advertisement

Blazer wrote: »
    Not sure why...its standard human nature.
    You have those who are prudent and will start stocking up on long term foods.
    Then you have those that panic and start buying anything they can shove into their trolley.
    Its all just human nature...not a nice part but hey at least we're not looting....yet.

I think it's because I'm a very logical person and this mentality - to me - seems illogical.

I really don't like the "everyone for themselves" attitude and I think it's quite sad tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement