Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The "What is this Irish word/phrase in English" thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

Just to answer Neewbie_noob - is fear mé and I'm not a native speaker and not even Irish, but thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

_LilyRose_ wrote: »
    Conas a deirim 'a perfect recipe for tragedy' as Gaeilge más é do thoil é? Tá 'measc foirfe do thragóid' scríofa síos agam, ach nílim cinnte- tá fhois agam go bhfuil sé mícheart!
    Brón orm do mo Ghaeilge...

Bealach mín na tubaiste.

I've just been asking about bainisteoir and bainis - yes you're on the right track there - bainisteoir was someone who was capable of organising a party or ball and having to organise one where you had to bring two families together who weren't necessarily on good terms with each other couldn't have been easy - there was certainly a high degree of knowing how to manage people that was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

franc 91 wrote: »
    I've just been asking about bainisteoir and bainis - yes you're on the right track there - bainisteoir was someone who was capable of organising a party or ball and having to organise one where you had to bring two families together who weren't necessarily on good terms with each other couldn't have been easy - there was certainly a high degree of knowing how to manage people that was needed.

Cool, thanks for the info. Interesting to hear about the etymology of Irish words & nice to know that I'm starting to spot patterns in how the words are formed. Slowly making some progress :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

What would the word for Arrivals be in Irish? I briefly saw it on the news today when talking about an airport - it was in 2 words.

Also, the Irish for Departure Gates?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

If you look at Focal.ie, it's all there
    departure gate - geata imeachta
    departure hall - halla imeachta
    departure lounge - tolglann imeachta
    departures - eitilti (with a fada on that last 'i') amach
    arrivals - eitilti (with a fada on the last 'i') isteach
    arrivals hall - halla teachta - srl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭An Sionnach Glic

If you look at Focal.ie, it's all there
    departure gate - geata imeachta
    departure hall - halla imeachta
    departure lounge - tolglann imeachta
    departures - eitilti (with a fada on that last 'i') amach
    arrivals - eitilti (with a fada on the last 'i') isteach
    arrivals hall - halla teachta - srl :)

Yes, focal.ie is your only man for modern terminology in Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Rachel English or Áine Lawlor on Morning Ireland on Monday after the All-Ireland: "you sang an auld camaile(sp)"

How do you spell "camaile" in English and Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Seanchai wrote: »
    How do you spell "camaile" in English and Irish?
    It's not an Irish word; it's Hiberno-English, derived from "Come, all you ... " which is the opening of many popular ballads. I'd spell it as you did: camaile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

It's not an Irish word; it's Hiberno-English, derived from "Come, all you ... " which is the opening of many popular ballads. I'd spell it as you did: camaile.

Surely its come-all-ye :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭my my my

can anybody explain "faduda",(spelling?)

i hear it from donegal irish and it translates to about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

my my my wrote: »

Donegal Irish is not my speciality, but can you be more specific? About meaning roughly? About specifying a place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭my my my

Gumbi wrote: »
    Donegal Irish is not my speciality, but can you be more specific? About meaning roughly? About specifying a place?

what will we do about it= what will we do faduda?

what will we do about it= what will we do faduda?
    Now you have it meaning "about it". I don't have answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

its spelt - fá dtaobh de, just another way to say faoi

fá, fé, faoi are all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Feathers wrote: »
    I learned the word bainis for wedding yesterday & the first thing I could think of was bainisteoir :D

Any link between these two, or just me thinking in English? (Know it's not 100% on topic, but didn't think it warranted a thread of its own.)
    I'd have my doubhts about that interpretation.
    To the best of my knowledge, bainisteoir is a gaelicised version of "manager"
    Stick an urú on the beginning of "bainisteoir" and you get "mbainisteoir" -> /manishter/; the G sound in english words very often becomes "sht" in Irish. So to me, this is by far the most likely derivation of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 GoldenPoppy

Does anyone know how to translate the following proverb into Irish:
    "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"

The proper way to say these in Irish?
    Vote No
    Vote Yes
    = Vótáil Tá?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭An Sionnach Glic

Worztron wrote: »
    The proper way to say these in Irish?
    Vote No
    Vote Yes
    = Vótáil Tá?

It all depends on the question!

It all depends on the question!

For example, it is on the voting posters sometimes.

• Advertisement

For example, it is on the voting posters sometimes.
    And typically incorrectly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

And typically incorrectly :)
    I can't conveniently find the question for the upcoming referendum, but I think that you will find that and Níl are not used incorrectly. The question is usually of the form An bhfuil tú sásta ...?

Contrived: yes; inelegant: yes; incorrect: I don't think so.

I can't conveniently find the question for the upcoming referendum, but I think that you will find that and Níl are not used incorrectly. The question is usually of the form An bhfuil tú sásta ...?

Contrived: yes; inelegant: yes; incorrect: I don't think so.
    I agree. I mis-worded. Illogically and inelegantly I meant.

Is Vóta Aon correct as Vote No?

Is Vóta Aon correct as Vote No?
    No...that doesn't actually make sense actually. It looks like a much-garbled version of no vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

What would the irish for the phrase "Take me home" be?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Palytoxin wrote: »
    What would the irish for the phrase "Take me home" be?

"Tóg abhaile mé" if you're saying it to an individual.
    "Tógaigí abhaile mé" if you're speaking to more than one person.

Could be changed slightly depending on the context.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

"Tóg abhaile mé" if you're saying it to an individual.
    "Tógaigí abhaile mé" if you're speaking to more than one person.

Could be changed slightly depending on the context.
    Thanks, could you say "Tabhair dom abhaile" either?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Palytoxin wrote: »
    Thanks, could you say "Tabhair dom abhaile" either?

Nope. "Tabhair dom ___" means "Give me ____".

"Tabhair abhaile mé" could work.

It depends on whether you want to be brought home and left there, or taken home and staying in the company of whoever is taking you. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

Hello, I hope somebody can help me.
    I want to name a guitar that I've built and I am considering these words 'yellow ash tree' meaning made of yellow ash tree and also 'the yellow one'.
    Or just get the spelling of the brand Fender into Irish.

Thanks.

Advertisement