Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

bush wrote: »
    Evil granny killer sociopath joggers

qu'est-ce que c'est?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,272 ✭✭✭✭fits

SusanC10 wrote: »
    That is a good example.
    I seem to remember at some point when shops were previously shut that a local shoe shop was taking private appointments for this kind of thing.

Also, you can buy the Clark's shoe measuring thing online and then buy shoes. Not ideal obviously but better than nothing.

Tip Top Toes in kilkenny are very helpful. Phone them! They posted shoes out to me in April.

( they might suggest leaving her shoes a little while)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

fits wrote: »

( they might suggest leaving her shoes a little while)

Yep. Learning to walk is better barefoot as much as possible. Or very soft shoe for outside that does not need to be precisely fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Gruffalux wrote: »
    The old line of the dispensable elderly is being replaced by the shiny new line of the hysterical elderly.

I am seeing very differently, elderly people who were in isolation the last lockdown, got all food delivered etc seem to be in the town multiple times a week now, they are taking a very different approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

polesheep wrote: »
    I don't see panic myself. What I do see is a difficulty in buying clothes. Even when restrictions were lighter it was next to impossible to try clothes on in shops and sizes actually vary a lot. Apart from a pair of shoes bought online, I haven't been able to buy clothes since last January.

I went into a few clothes shops when the restrictions lifted and just found the whole thing so much hassle that I bought online.

Things like T-shirt’s are no issue, but I’ve found I’ve ordered jeans and coats that didn’t fit at all and had to return them. It’s actually not that easy to shop for stuff like that online as sizing isn’t very consistent between manufacturers and brands.

Shoes are just a total nightmare for me online. Bought 5 pairs and of those only 1 fits and the rest were returned straight away.

Even shirts haven’t worked out well.

I’m getting to the stage I’m just wearing jeans and jumpers all the time now. I won’t need any formal clothes for the foreseeable future, but I do need a coat and I have had really big issues getting those online before. Sizing isn’t very accurate.

Basically I’m just wearing things until they wear out now.

Between that and COVID hair, I’ve just gone past caring.

• Advertisement

I am seeing very differently, elderly people who were in isolation the last lockdown, got all food delivered etc seem to be in the town multiple times a week now, they are taking a very different approach.

I'm not the one saying they are plunging themselves shrieking into bushes upon the approach of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Only the growth - 14 day incidence seems to have topped out, but is not falling

If that's the case, then why not stay in level3 indefinitely?
    We've found a limit whereby we can still live our lives and stop the virus spread from going out of control?

Surely that's the definition of 'living with covid'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Gruffalux wrote: »
    The old line of the dispensable elderly is being replaced by the shiny new line of the hysterical elderly.

People like Pat Kenny and Eamon Dunphy certainly give life to this new line of hysterical elderly to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

qu'est-ce que c'est?

People like Pat Kenny and Eamon Dunphy certainly give life to this new line of hysterical elderly to be fair.

No idea. I am blessed to have listened to neither of them in decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Strumms wrote: »
    Yep... After a long week at work you can’t get a pint because of covid. Covid doesn’t give a fuûck if you’ve had a long week at work, a short week petting goats. .... if you end up in a pub environment where distancing won’t and can’t be managed, where the consumption of alcoholic beverages will lower inhibitions, will cloud judgment and decision making... will fuel incidents that will put greater burdens on health services and Gardai..... No way in hell should pubs be open, Jesus. We cannot afford that fallout...

If people want a few drinks at home with the other half, watching Netflix, on their own watching the match they can obtain alcohol in the supermarket. Have their drinks, keeping it at home, distant, safe and responsible.

Alcohol has not been banned. The manner and location in which it can be consumed has been adjusted so as to limit the health risk and burden on an over burdened health service, a health service made up of thousands of people who at the coal face endure high levels of risk for themselves and their families on a daily basis, minute by minute, hour by hour, day after day.

All that is being asked of US is that we don’t go to pubs ?! That’s playing our part... thats a fûcking small ask considering what’s been happening, a tiny ask considering what others, such as medical people are doing for US... let’s do something for them and each other.. we can cook at home, drink at home, we don’t need pubs, keep em closed.
    This is so disengenous. We are being asked so much more. Even your example shows your ignorance, 'have a drink with your other half at home'. Not everyone lives in that scenario! We aren't allowed to see our friends, if you don't live with with your other half etc. these are huge restrictions so stop with your pontificating crap.

And is there anything more annoying than people personifying the bloody virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Russman

timmyntc wrote: »
    We've found a limit whereby we can still live our lives and stop the virus spread from going out of control?

I doubt the virus can ever be stopped and held at a given level. It seems to me that it will always be spreading or always receding, due to human behaviour. No matter what level we're at, people will take liberties, get careless, get unlucky, whatever, and it will find a way to spread IMO. Then as we lockdown it begins to recede til we open up again. And so on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

There is a cloud over the numbers from last week due to contact tracing breakdown.

1k a day is probably too high for the hospitals (if winter flu does come. It may not).

Christmas is coming and whatever restrictions are supposed to be in for christmas there will be mass gatherings in homes, rushes to the shops etc and the r number will spike. We need to reduce the numbers before that.

I would not be surprised to see another lockdown after christmas then level 3 till vaccine is distributed to all vulnerable groups after the cases numbers are brought down.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The Health Service Executive has promised that in eight weeks' time it will have 800 contact tracers recruited to deal with Covid-19

Jaysus, take yer time lads, calm down.

No rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

AdamD wrote: »
    This is so disengenous. We are being asked so much more. Even your example shows your ignorance, 'have a drink with your other half at home'. Not everyone lives in that scenario! We aren't allowed to see our friends, if you don't live with with your other half etc. these are huge restrictions so stop with your pontificating crap.

You should just scroll by this lads posts. Anyone that describes a 12 year old child as a ' needy bollix' regarding mental health is not worthy of engagement.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I thought this was originally meant to be the whole plan with opening up. Open up slowly and see what works and what doesn't. Basically find a level of restrictions that keep the virus at a low, steady level that we can manage and deal with. It makes sense.

I haven’t listened to Dunphy for a while. Does he still do that podcast or whatever it is. I must have a listen and a chuckle at his rants

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

7-day has been falling since the 22nd, the 14-day will always lag behind.

Assuming the current trend is continuing, the 14-day will probably stay level or increase today, and will start to drop tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Boggles wrote: »
    Jaysus, take yer time lads, calm down.

No rush.

They are flat out Boggles.Up to their eyeballs getting ready for a second wave of Tik Tok dance routines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Stheno wrote: »
    3 weeks of national level three is where we are today

14 day incidence down massively

Cool, so national level 3 restrictions are just kicking in now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,893 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

440Hertz wrote: »
    I went into a few clothes shops when the restrictions lifted and just found the whole thing so much hassle that I bought online.

Things like T-shirt’s are no issue, but I’ve found I’ve ordered jeans and coats that didn’t fit at all and had to return them. It’s actually not that easy to shop for stuff like that online as sizing isn’t very consistent between manufacturers and brands.

Shoes are just a total nightmare for me online. Bought 5 pairs and of those only 1 fits and the rest were returned straight away.

Even shirts haven’t worked out well.

I’m getting to the stage I’m just wearing jeans and jumpers all the time now. I won’t need any formal clothes for the foreseeable future, but I do need a coat and I have had really big issues getting those online before. Sizing isn’t very accurate.

Basically I’m just wearing things until they wear out now.

Between that and COVID hair, I’ve just gone past caring.

Yeah, clothes shopping is difficult...I need winter clothes.. I’m ok for jackets but I’m low on jumpers / sweaters /t-shirts and could do with a pair of jeans... I haven’t been properly clothes shopping since this time last year.

Last night went through my wardrobe trying on stuff just to gauge the sizings so I can just go online and order, wrote label and size eg. French Connection.. L ....made up a charity bag of stuff too small or too big that I’ll drop down the road to where my aunt works with homeless folks, just ring bell and leave bag..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Yes, but we will only see National Level 3 results from today. CMO and Philip Nolan were very clear that it takes 3 weeks before results are visible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Yes, but we will only see National Level 3 results from today. CMO and Philip Nolan were very clear that it takes 3 weeks before results are visible.

I hope someone asks if I was making sense all week to be concerned about missed tests from contact tracing distorting figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Russman wrote: »
    I doubt the virus can ever be stopped and held at a given level. It seems to me that it will always be spreading or always receding, due to human behaviour. No matter what level we're at, people will take liberties, get careless, get unlucky, whatever, and it will find a way to spread IMO. Then as we lockdown it begins to recede til we open up again. And so on.

Of course the virus can be held at a given level. We find a level of restrictions whereby the number of people newly getting infected with the virus is the same as the number of people recovering from the virus on any given day. The virus will keep spreading, but a reduced rate due to restrictions, giving people who got infected 14 days+ ago time to recover and free up hospital beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Strumms wrote: »
    Yeah, clothes shopping is difficult...I need winter clothes.. I’m ok for jackets but I’m low on jumpers / sweaters /t-shirts and could do with a pair of jeans... I haven’t been properly clothes shopping since this time last year.

Last night went through my wardrobe trying on stuff just to gauge the sizings so I can just go online and order, wrote label and size eg. French Connection.. L ....made up a charity bag of stuff too small or too big that I’ll drop down the road to where my aunt works with homeless folks, just ring bell and leave bag..

Clothes are not essential, the virus doesn’t care what you are wearing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

And in a different area, the covid tracking app has been updated, and it's now possible to see the breakdown of cases down to LEA level, which is a good enhancement. It clarifies how things are going at a lower level, and maybe will help people to recognise where the real issues are, and hopefully do something about getting those areas under control.

For level 3 to have any chance of working, it has to be regional, not just county based, one of the issue that has spiked cases in Meath was when Dublin went into Level 3, the people desperate to go drinking headed out to places like Ashbourne, and rammed the local pubs. In some cases, they took home more than they bargained for, and only proved what is already known but can't be documented due to shortcomings in track and trace, the pubs have been and are and will remain a place where Covid is easily transmitted.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

And in a different area, the covid tracking app has been updated, and it's now possible to see the breakdown of cases down to LEA level, which is a good enhancement. It clarifies how things are going at a lower level, and maybe will help people to recognise where the real issues are, and hopefully do something about getting those areas under control.

For level 3 to have any chance of working, it has to be regional, not just county based, one of the issue that has spiked cases in Meath was when Dublin went into Level 3, the people desperate to go drinking headed out to places like Ashbourne, and rammed the local pubs. In some cases, they took home more than they bargained for, and only proved what is already known but can't be documented due to shortcomings in track and trace, the pubs have been and are and will remain a place where Covid is easily transmitted.

I don't see that feature, only getting to county level, how do you get to it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,893 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

AdamD wrote: »

I’ll post what I like, I don’t need your permission. Not pontificating, it’s an opinion, hey, welcome to boards.ie. ;)

Not everyone lives in that situation, granted. But sorry, that does not absolve you of your responsibilities. Can’t see your friends ? It’s tough, it sucks. If one person gets a hall pass, everyone does and that’s going to lead us into many more deaths.

If you live alone, get involved in things that structure your day.

Exercise

Reading

Calling friends/Skype etc.

Learn to cook new things, YouTube is great for that.

Online gaming..

Whatever, life doesn’t need to revolve around a pub. I say that as somebody who likes the pub. And who is looking forward hugely to the day I can head back into a pub. But I’m acutely aware if we want that day it’s going to depend on the vaccine and in the interim us behaving responsibly. That means keeping the drink only pubs shut.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

it needs the latest update that's available from the play store, and when that's installed, take the national picture expansion, that goes to county, and then there's an expansion (>) by county, at the bottom of that page, which needs a scroll down, it gives the breakdown by electoral area, which can be scrolled through to see the figures for each LEA

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Yeah they really are set up for this kind of thing. The planning that was already in place. The way the community, local hospitals and public health seamlessly worked together. He explained well how public health doctors are on par with their colleagues in other disciplines in terms of seniority so they effectively have a seat at the table and have much more weight in requisitioning resources etc once an outbreak is identified. He mentioned how a hospital in the area will provide nursing resources at request once an outbreak identified in a nursing home for example. Terrible failings here on that issue.

The other thing which made tonnes of sense regarding borders was 'border bubbles'. i.e communities that clearly straddle the border get exemptions and are free to cross for legitimate reasons in both directions. Working and even visiting family etc. That would work here and destroy the border straw man argument.

The other thing was the tough restrictions but very good support. Public heath were the ones leading the effort. i.e if someone can't do grocery shopping or is vulnerable the state would do everything in it's power to support a person while quarantining. The fines were serious and enforced but their disaster management infrastructure allowed them to support those who would in all likelihood say "fvck the police".

It's clearly a political failing as to why we can't decide to go after the virus.
    Maybe political change when it comes will be the catalyst for a change in strategy.
    We know how it works now so come January / February when businesses start to shutter for good and pandemic unemployment payments get reduced maybe people will vote with their feet.

You have to agree that the border issue in Ireland is as unworkable as is mandatory quarantine, with those off the table only alternative is to hide from it...end of story.

Victoria is an interesting one, if you look at the numbers.

by 4th July the daily cases hit 100 for the first time and by 8th July L3 lockdown was introduced. Melbourne then went into L4 on 2nd Aug and rest of Vic stayed at L3.

It took about 62 days to get around 50 cases per day, 8th July to 8th Sep they had 16,673 cases (average 263 cases per day) and that was throwing everything including the kitchen sink at it.

in those 62 days they did 1,348,292 tests.

they came under criticism as there was severe pressure on their contact tracing but they managed.

Its an absolute bastard to get rid off, I wonder how long it would have taken to contact trace and get cases down if they had 1000 cases per day?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement