Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Strumms wrote: »
    :D
    Well, you want to get your ears tested so, or the beeping noises you are hearing might be symptomatic of some other problems of yours that need addressing :eek:

Either way, carers or nurses taking 3 minutes out of a xx hour shift to have a bit of craic with patients and each other... find something else to get uptight about. It’s a fûckin pandemic !

Nice reversal. Well done. Nurses often have a bit of banter with patients as they carry out their duties. It's good for morale. BTW I'm not uptight at all. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Regards the hospital admission thing. It would be interesting to know how many people in hospital contracted while in hospital (nosocomial) vs those admitted directly with Covid. Infection control isn't working if have of current cases acquired it while there for something unrelated.

I think though we are assuming that everyone who presents at hospital is definitely known to be covid positive or not.

Say for instance somebody goes to A&E with a bad gastro infection, arrhythmia of the heart or chest tightness or a severe fever and is in real difficulty.
    Will they not admit them until they know for certain it is covid? No, they'll admit them run tests and then designate covid if positive and the number will increase yet admittance figure doesn't match. I've been admitted to hospital for flu in the past. I had fever the day before, presented with very elevated heart rate, dehydration and general malaise. I was admitted even though they didn't have a clue what it was. I eventually got to see a doctor who said influenza most probably. Got a given a drip etc and started to come back next day.

In that instance I wasn't admitted for influenza yet the following day I'd be in the count for people in hospital with influenza. I was pretty run down at the time and I hadn't a clue why I couldn't retain liquids. Fever was the only flu like symptom.

I'm not sure if this is the case but either way one of two things is true but not both.
    • A sizeable number of people in hospital acquired the infection in hospital and infection control is a serious issue.
    • The admittance for covid vs those admitted with symptoms to hospital later get diagnosed causing the figures to not match.

I know we've dismissed the "suspected" covid numbers on here but that could explain it. I know people who have remained at home to weather the storm and couldn't get tested even if they wanted to (in march) I agree the question needs answering. Just hope we ask the right question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Have family members working in hospitals, if someone tests positive when in hospital its a new case and they're counted as a covid admission as they're now being treated for it, regardless of whatever they were in for initially.

If its deemed to be picked up in hospital it'll be notified in HPSC data as acquired in hospital.

Cavan and Naas for example will have been notified as hospital outbreaks and anyone who picked it up in there is now counted in the hospitals covid numbers for the duration of their covid treatment until discharged

What if they're asymptomatic which they probably are if they're attending hospital appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Manly illusions shattered :(

I never specified the type!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

khalessi wrote: »

I've heard they're going to wash their hands of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

eigrod wrote: »

Looks like Ronan Glynn has been sidelined even since some form of focus has gone onto schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,210 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

US2 wrote: »
    What if they're asymptomatic which they probably are if they're attending hospital appointments.

Well if your being admitted your tested, anyone that's going in for a procedure is tested in advance.

With regards to the discussion on hospitals and outbreaks.

There should be a new HPSC report today for last week, but for week 42 which was up to 17th October in that week there were 7 notified outbreaks in hospital settings with 27 outbreaks still classified as open. They close after 28 days of no linked cases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Strumms wrote: »
    Not in terms of them doing their job there isn’t. 5 minutes out of an 8 hour shift to do something fun, with and for patients. Take it from somebody who knows, there is enough to be pissed off about in our hospitals and health services but that ain’t one.

So if it's to boost patient morale why are they posting it publically for the whole internet to see?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,641 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Looks like Ronan Glynn has been sidelined even since some form of focus has gone onto schools.
    Or he's taking a well-deserved break?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Or he's taking a well-deserved break?

Well deserved break from achieving precisely the sum total of nothing- Nphet are amazing ...clap clap

Yeah the new school's doctor is a very safe pair of hands. Never strays off message.

530789.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭gw80

Have family members working in hospitals, if someone tests positive when in hospital its a new case and they're counted as a covid admission as they're now being treated for it, regardless of whatever they were in for initially.

If its deemed to be picked up in hospital it'll be notified in HPSC data as acquired in hospital.

Cavan and Naas for example will have been notified as hospital outbreaks and anyone who picked it up in there is now counted in the hospitals covid numbers for the duration of their covid treatment until discharged
    So if someone tests positive for covid in hospital but are asymptomatic,are the kept in and treated for it anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

gw80 wrote: »
    So if someone tests positive for covid in hospital but are asymptomatic,are the kept in and treated for it anyway?

They'd need to be isolated anyway.

We have a capacity crisis. It's not due to hospitals being full of asymptomatic people.

gw80 wrote: »

Thats up to the doctors to decide.

In general if your asymptomatic you'd be discharged home to isolate for the 10 days but if they feel it best your kept in then your kept in, there's a few factors at play such as did the person come from a nursing home for example, but you'd still be classed as a covid admission while your there, so if your still there when the data is collected for the HSE report then you'll show in the report as an admission.

Could be gone out of the report by 8am the next morning if you've been discharged in the meantime.

NI reporting 722 cases and 13 deaths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I wonder if it has to do with the Greens demanding that more women be involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,016 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

GT89 wrote: »
    So if it's to boost patient morale why are they posting it publically for the whole internet to see?

Don’t know, you’d need to ask em. Perhaps it’s to give people outside of hospitals an insight into the work they do, to share some more fun aspects of the job ? I’m not of the mind to care. Good luck to em. Must be extremely difficult and stressful working in and being in hospital during covid times... if they want to do something fun, record it, publish it.... fine by me, it’s not North Korea.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is that their highest amount of deaths in a single day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

What a mess they have up there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Thats up to the doctors to decide.

In general if your asymptomatic you'd be discharged home to isolate for the 10 days but if they feel it best your kept in then your kept in, there's a few factors at play such as did the person come from a nursing home for example, but you'd still be classed as a covid admission while your there, so if your still there when the data is collected for the HSE report then you'll show in the report as an admission.

Could be gone out of the report by 8am the next morning if you've been discharged in the meantime.

Based on how mild this disease is in the huge majority of cases i would hope most people who contract it in hospital can be sent home.

A person that has Covid poses a risk to staff and other patients especially if they don't need to be there. We need our resources helping those in need.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

They'd need to be isolated anyway.

We have a capacity crisis. It's not due to hospitals being full of asymptomatic people.

Capacity crisis? Didnt Leo just say the other day that there are plenty of beds available? even more than usual for this time of year?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

4318 individuals tested.

16.7% positivity. Compares to 25% positivity yesterday.

I do think we could do with a ni megathread. Feels like ni gets lost apart from a few minutes discussion every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Capacity crisis? Didnt Leo just say the other day that there are plenty of beds available? even more than usual for this time of year?

One thing we definitely don't have at the moment is a capacity crisis

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1320379523637104641

Do people getting admitted via accident and emergency get tested ahead of getting admitted.

I doubt it unless they were at home and condition is worse. Given the level of community spread that would lead to the appearance of low numbers of admissions but higher number of those in hospital who appear to have contracted it there. Of course there are outbreaks but they don't quite tally.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The belt on my jeans went kaput this morning. Spent half the day wandering into shops with my trousers half hanging off me. Belts aren't essential apparently.

Bailing twine for now.

In this together my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Hopefully they are past their peak this winter, 13 deaths is pretty alarming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Do people getting admitted via accident and emergency get tested ahead of getting admitted.

I doubt it unless they were at home and condition is worse. Given the level of community spread that would lead to the appearance of low numbers of admissions but higher number of those in hospital who appear to have contracted it there. Of course there are outbreaks but they don't quite tally.

Yes they do, and are treated as having it untill they get a negative result. That's what suspected case's mean

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭prunudo

Yes and no. I had the to go Vincent's a&e last week. Ended up staying one night in a ward. They did a covid test and the usual covid questionnaires before sending me up to the ward. Now I didn't get the result till later but my understanding was that should I have needed surgery i wouldn't have been allowed until they had covid result back.

• Advertisement

Dont you think after making people wait 3 days for testing data, they would be a bit considerate and get it out earlier today

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement