Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Jim_Hodge wrote: »

Not quite. It was in Wales and Tesco has apologised and rectified the situation.

Ok. Weird I couldn't find the Twitter post

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

prunudo wrote: »
    That is all well and good, but given the amount of exemptions to type of work allowed and that schools are open I don't understand why they are being so draconian on it. Tesco and the likes have always sold mixed goods, not like they are trying to capitalise on the closure of other shops.

Agree with all this. The closure of clothes shops and non essential retail to me makes no sense. They did a study in US or UK, I can't remember, which said retail was the cause of a negligible amount of virus spread.
    I walked into Dunnes the other day to see it all closed off and it was the first time I felt like I was going to lose the plot with anger. Not with Dunnes or anything but with the government etc for implementing ridiculous petty restrictions when there's no need. The 5km rule is another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Does anybody actually understand the logic behind closing the clothes end of Dunnes and Tesco etc ? Why is it more dangerous to buy a pair of PJs than it is to buy a bag of spuds .? I genuinely cannot figure it out .In the first lockdown at least we could buy a blessed T shirt if we needed it

It's to discourage people leaving the house and being out and about and you can't close places that provide food so this is where that leaves us

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

bb1234567 wrote: »
    It's to discourage people leaving the house and being out and about and you can't close places that provide food so this is where that leaves us

Yup... it is to stop people heading out to browse around the clothes section for "something to do"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It would be a whole lot clearer to just shut shopping centres. It's less about people and more about minimising the number of retail hit by Level 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭prunudo

But people are leaving the house for so many various reasons its an over the top reaction. I'd understand if we were in a proper level 5 strict lockdown but we're not. The authorities may think we are in the strictest level but we're are not. Its level 4 at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

That is all well and good, but given the amount of exemptions to type of work allowed and that schools are open I don't understand why they are being so draconian on it. Tesco and the likes have always sold mixed goods, not like they are trying to capitalise on the closure of other shops.

And as has been pointed out hundreds, maybe thousands of times now.... some types of work and education are viewed as being essential services, having a browse for new clothes in Tesco because you have nothing else to fill your time is not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Agree with all this. The closure of clothes shops and non essential retail to me makes no sense. They did a study in US or UK, I can't remember, which said retail was the cause of a negligible amount of virus spread.
    I walked into Dunnes the other day to see it all closed off and it was the first time I felt like I was going to lose the plot with anger. Not with Dunnes or anything but with the government etc for implementing ridiculous petty restrictions when there's no need. The 5km rule is another one.

Even if I agree with you that non essential retail is negligible there is a problem.

The golf is negligible. The hair dressers is negligible. Retail is negligible.

Guess what?

3 Negligible figures isn't negligible anymore.

Everyone can't get their negligible activity back.

The other problem of course is that non essential retail (like the bars and pubs) are likely to create cases from community transmission that are harder to trace. So its difficult to prove an effect even if its present.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Yup... it is to stop people heading out to browse around the clothes section for "something to do"

Not my thing and understand its how some people spend their free time, but surely browsing in Tesco or dunnes clothes section isnt the same as going into various individual clothes shop. What the former stock is surely on the essential end of clothing rather tham the fashion end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

No, as mentioned a page ago it's about competition.

It's seen as unfair for dunnes/tesco to continue selling clothes etc while their rivals are forced to shut.

Even if I agree with you that non essential retail is negligible there is a problem.

Guess what?

The other problem of course is that non essential retail (like the bars and pubs) are likely to create cases from community transmission that are harder to trace. So its difficult to prove an effect even if its present.
    If the total level of negligible adds up to less than 1% it's still absolutely negligible and makes it look like anything that can be closed should be is the strategy. That's not living with this nor sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Liberalbrehon

Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.

No, as mentioned a page ago it's about competition.

It's seen as unfair for dunnes/tesco to continue selling clothes etc while their rivals are forced to shut.

So its not about protecting people from covid or allowing people have access to essential items, its because one company or business group were in the ear of a politician.

Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.
    Nor is a one line cliché evidence of coherent thought!

Not my thing and understand its how some people spend their free time, but surely browsing in Tesco or dunnes clothes section isnt the same as going into various individual clothes shop. What the former stock is surely on the essential end of clothing rather tham the fashion end.

My friend works in Tesco, back in March/April he said that people doing their shopping wasn't an issue... but people coming in for "a look", sometimes the same people a couple of times a day were. Their clothes section was a separate unit and they ended up closing it at the time (without being told to).

I don't get the sudden urge for everyone to go buy some cheap clothes in Tesco tho... surely you can live for 6 weeks without buying new clothes..

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Guess what?

But there is a blur between the essential and non essential retail shops. Look at what is going on in Dunnes. If you just left that section of the economy open there would be no blur and people would be able to shop and keep the economy going a bit more.

My friend works in Tesco, back in March/April he said that people doing their shopping wasn't an issue... but people coming in for "a look", sometimes the same people a couple of times a day were. Their clothes section was a separate unit and they ended up closing it at the time (without being told to).

I don't get the sudden urge for everyone to go buy some cheap clothes in Tesco tho... surely you can live for 6 weeks without buying new clothes..
    Because it's what they do. Why, oh why aren't other people like me?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,444 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Ok. Weird I couldn't find the Twitter post

Maybe look beyond Twitter for news.

I don't understand people who would want to browse any clothes shop let alone the section in Tesco. Its not so much the sudden urge but it would be nice that in the next 5 weeks should I need to get some new item of clothing, whether its socks, a wholly hat or whatever it may be that there is an option for me to do that.

• Advertisement

530758.JPG

530759.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 17,969 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Can't go to work today as my washing machine broke so I had no clean socks. I went to dunnes to buy some and they wouldn't sell them to me at it was against the law. I've had to buy a new washing machine instead.

I don't understand people who would want to browse any clothes shop let alone the section in Tesco. Its not so much the sudden urge but it would be nice that in the next 5 weeks should I need to get some new item of clothing, whether its socks, a wholly hat or whatever it may be that there is an option for me to do that.

Well, you are in luck :) Based on my local Tesco... which has the clothes section closed off and a single line of essentials available (socks, underwear, baby grows etc..)

You also have hundreds, or thousands of online shops that will sell you anything you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I think in a few years time we will look back and think closing retail was a massive error. Just an assumption.

The amount of virus spread in limited capacity stores has got to be absolutely negligible in comparison to the pay off economically.

And don't tell me that miniscule spread in stores has to be stopped when I'm going into a school with 1000 odd people in it every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

It looks like Italians aren't happy with more restrictions. Things like this have a habit of spreading on the Continent. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54701042

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

You also have hundreds, or thousands of online shops that will sell you anything you want.

Cool, going to tell my 97 year old grand mother and her mates to surf the Web for clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Well, you are in luck :) Based on my local Tesco... which has the clothes section closed off and a single line of essentials available (socks, underwear, baby grows etc..)

TBF it's difficult to buy clothes online. Most people have to try something on to confirm a good fit.

Cool, going to tell my 97 year old grand mother and her mates to surf the Web for clothes.

I reckon some of the clothes they have might do them for 6 weeks... surely they aren't still having growth spurts :)

polesheep wrote: »
    TBF it's difficult to buy clothes online. Most people have to try something on to confirm a good fit.

I think socks and underwear are relatively easy to get right... that is what everyone is now panicking about right? I guess the fear from all men is that their mam might not get to buy their annual supply for xmas :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

polesheep wrote: »
    It looks like Italians aren't happy with more restrictions. Things like this have a habit of spreading on the Continent. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54701042

Italy has a big problem with ultras who now have no football to go to.
    Remember Sean Cox. While most Italians are pissed off the nasty element always takes advantage.

https://twitter.com/Irenls_/status/1320979489174769664?s=20

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement