Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭prunudo

forumdedum wrote: »
    At least a while back there was proof you could catch it from passing joggers or cyclists and they generate more plume. I'm not a huge fan of Bill but I would believe him.

I'm not saying its not possible. But he could also have picked it up from a door handle or a petrol pump. He just wanted to blame somebody else, in this case the joggers. He can't say for certain it was them yet he went on a wild rant about their behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

road_high wrote: »
    Through this mania it’s been interesting- there is an element out there that relish the prospect of closing gyms and any form of exercise. Usually people that don’t exercise themselves interestingly

I think it was highlighted yesterday, people who no longer drink alcohol want it banned etc etc, it's obvious people want others inconvenienced more than they are themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

The difference out and about this morning

If we are serious about breaking the chain of transmission or whatever phrase used we should definitely extend midterm by a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

That's great, I didn't suggest you did. You stated that "it has a habit of spreading on the continent". That I don't agree. Italy has a particular issue with a violent football ultra scene who are exploiting the situation. While some countries have similar issues, particularly Eastern Europe, most don't.

When Naples didn't collect it's rubbish for years it didn't spread to the rest of the continent. Italy is beautiful country but not without its issues.

But you did imply it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The difference out and about this morning

If we are serious about breaking the chain of transmission or whatever phrase used we should definitely extend midterm by a week
    Out and about is not the issue, in and about most certainly is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

Are GAA training grounds closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

is_that_so wrote: »

And you can be sure there are plenty of household visits all this week to kill the time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

mloc123 wrote: »
    And you can be sure there are plenty of household visits all this week to kill the time :)

The old "in and out"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well if my kitchen clock is anything to go by today, gonna be a long one!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Well if my kitchen clock is anything to go by today, gonna be a long one!

The last 2 days combined have felt longer than the previous 2 months.... its not even 10am yet :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

JimToken wrote: »
    Are GAA training grounds closed?

One near me is open, personally that's a good thing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Upto 354 in the hospital. Quiet a spike from 311 on Friday.

Hopefully some of this will be explained by a rush of discharges today as many hospital discharges are held till Monday (tuesday on a bh) for their doctor to have a last look before discharge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,122 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Fair enough, not being able to try them on is a pain.

I just don't get this uproar about Tesco/Dunnes... saw on my local Facebook page also, you'd swear kids were wearing coal sacks the way people were complaining.

Well just one example for you . My grandchild is just started walking
    She will need shoes , she needs to be measures and fitted .
    Thats only one small example . How come clothes didn’t seem a huge issue last March when at least we could buy a pair of shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Walking into Supervalue there earlier and an auld one nearly dived into a load of trolleys to make sure she didn't come near me. The fear of god is in these people. Feel very sorry for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Walking into Supervalue there earlier and an auld one nearly dived into a load of trolleys to make sure she didn't come near me. The fear of god is in these people. Feel very sorry for them.

Probably nothing to do with Covid, you were wearing your Halloween mask weren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Hopefully some of this will be explained by a rush of discharges today as many hospital discharges are held till Monday (tuesday on a bh) for their doctor to have a last look before discharge.

This should be the case .. very few hospitals discharge over a weekend. If not discharged on a Friday you are left till the Monday ( Tuesday this week ) .
    So hoping to see a the hospital numbers level off again after today .

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Still, I wouldn't be expecting it to drop below Friday's number.

The start of the week usually isn't a massive discharge. If the doctor thought someone would be well enough to go home on Monday morning, they'd usually discharge them on the Friday instead rather than force them to spend a weekend languishing in hospital.

As a result Thursday/Friday are the big discharge days.

But this time the bank holiday might make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,845 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

harr wrote: »
    This should be the case .. very few hospitals discharge over a weekend. If not discharged on a Friday you are left till the Monday ( Tuesday this week ) .
    So hoping to see a the hospital numbers level off again after today .

There has been 75 discharges since Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

The old line of the dispensable elderly is being replaced by the shiny new line of the hysterical elderly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Well just one example for you . My grandchild is just started walking
    She will need shoes , she needs to be measures and fitted .
    Thats only one small example . How come clothes didn’t seem a huge issue last March when at least we could buy a pair of shoes

That is a good example.
    I seem to remember at some point when shops were previously shut that a local shoe shop was taking private appointments for this kind of thing.

Also, you can buy the Clark's shoe measuring thing online and then buy shoes. Not ideal obviously but better than nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

AnniePowwa wrote: »
    so after a long week at work you can't get a pint ,you want it so you cant even ate a bit of chocolate , who knew ireland had so many freaks

Yep... After a long week at work you can’t get a pint because of covid. Covid doesn’t give a fuûck if you’ve had a long week at work, a short week petting goats. .... if you end up in a pub environment where distancing won’t and can’t be managed, where the consumption of alcoholic beverages will lower inhibitions, will cloud judgment and decision making... will fuel incidents that will put greater burdens on health services and Gardai..... No way in hell should pubs be open, Jesus. We cannot afford that fallout...

If people want a few drinks at home with the other half, watching Netflix, on their own watching the match they can obtain alcohol in the supermarket. Have their drinks, keeping it at home, distant, safe and responsible.

Alcohol has not been banned. The manner and location in which it can be consumed has been adjusted so as to limit the health risk and burden on an over burdened health service, a health service made up of thousands of people who at the coal face endure high levels of risk for themselves and their families on a daily basis, minute by minute, hour by hour, day after day.

All that is being asked of US is that we don’t go to pubs ?! That’s playing our part... thats a fûcking small ask considering what’s been happening, a tiny ask considering what others, such as medical people are doing for US... let’s do something for them and each other.. we can cook at home, drink at home, we don’t need pubs, keep em closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/09/k-overlooked-variable-driving-pandemic/616548/

Very interesting piece in the Atlantic mostly asking why we don’t focus more on dispersion of virus instead of the R0 that’s perhaps not the best way to manage things when evidence suggests 20% of those infected are spreading it the most. Basically rigorous contact tracing back to find the super spreaders and the conditions that make it worse.

Also some interesting comments on cheap mass testing benefits , particularly in a super spreader event. They also feel there is far to much discussion on Sweden with no real benefit to it regardless of your stance.

Interesting point on Japan stadiums opening up but with no chanting. In short we can open up more with some adjustments.

A very good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭forumdedum

road_high wrote: »
    That the guy who reviews films and that? At least 5 stone overweight? Ok..!

That's him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

530758.JPG
    ]

3 weeks of national level three is where we are today

14 day incidence down massively

prunudo wrote: »
    I'm not saying its not possible. But he could also have picked it up from a door handle or a petrol pump. He just wanted to blame somebody else, in this case the joggers. He can't say for certain it was them yet he went on a wild rant about their behaviour.

Guess we'd have to ask Bill if he wipes down door handles or sanitises his hands after refuelling his car.

I don't recall it being a wild rant.

I would like like a bunch of sweating joggers passing by close to me. I would be worried.

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Yes people seem to think it's in the air.

I prefer to be safe than sorry. Droplets from speech etc can hit you if wind doesn't blow them away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Evil granny killer sociopath joggers

Stheno wrote: »
    3 weeks of national level three is where we are today

14 day incidence down massively

Only the growth - 14 day incidence seems to have topped out, but is not falling

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Gruffalux wrote: »
    The old line of the dispensable elderly is being replaced by the shiny new line of the hysterical elderly.
    The asshole who gets off on invading the space of passers by hasn't changed since the start though.

They'd want to make sure it's old women they frighten. If they do that and I see it they'll be clogging up the hospital system for a completely different reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

s1ippy wrote: »
    The asshole who gets off on invading the space of passers by hasn't changed since the start though.

They'd want to make sure it's old women they frighten. If they do that and I see it they'll be clogging up the hospital system for a completely different reason.

Lave him, Slippy, lave him :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement