Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,016 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Clothes are not essential, the virus doesn’t care what you are wearing.

Clothes are indeed essential. If the look on my neighbors face the last time I went out without any is to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

For level 3 to have any chance of working, it has to be regional, not just county based, one of the issue that has spiked cases in Meath was when Dublin went into Level 3, the people desperate to go drinking headed out to places like Ashbourne, and rammed the local pubs. In some cases, they took home more than they bargained for, and only proved what is already known but can't be documented due to shortcomings in track and trace, the pubs have been and are and will remain a place where Covid is easily transmitted.

in Donegal we didnt see any noticeable reduction in tourists and traffic until nationwide level 3 was brought in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

it needs the latest update that's available from the play store, and when that's installed, take the national picture expansion, that goes to county, and then there's an expansion (>) by county, at the bottom of that page, which needs a scroll down, it gives the breakdown by electoral area, which can be scrolled through to see the figures for each LEA

It's still 5th to 19th October, I thought it might be more up-to-date which doesn't make sense on my part as that's the data available, thanks, once app was updated it was straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Almost half of all hospitalised covid patients didn't go to hospital with Covid. Interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭prunudo

US2 wrote: »
    Almost half of all hospitalised covid patients didn't go to hospital with Covid. Interesting

I suppose it can be looked at two ways. Covid in the community isn't as dangerous as we're led to believe but at the same time, it still puts pressure on the hospital resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

You know it can get pretty cold here in winter, right?

Clothes are absolutely essential.

OK, you could argue that following fashion trends or having a huge wardrobe is not essential but winter clothing right now would be pretty essential.

Certainly, I would say warm clothing over the winter months would be more essential than a lot of stuff sold at the supermarkets.

It shows how daft the rules are when the local shop can sell you chocolate, crisps and cans of coke but you can't buy a winter coat because that's not essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    Certainly, I would say warm clothing over the winter months would be more essential than a lot of stuff sold at the supermarkets.

This being the first winter we will ever see in Ireland... nobody has suitable clothing for it. If only we had winter clothes from last year...

Any source on that? Have seen it speculated quite a bit bas on admission numbers vs total numbers, but has there been a article on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

phormium wrote: »
    I think it's more on the level playing field thing, very unfair to a small clothes shop to have to close and Tesco/Dunnes down the road selling clothes away! Plus of course it does slightly decrease the amount of people mingling.

Given price of clothes in Dunnes/Tesco versus price of clothes in your average Irish independent retailer. They aren’t the same customer base. We know there are thousands of families in this country barely making ends meet financially every month. Families that only buy clothes as needed. This is time of year they need to buy winter coats, hats, scarfs, gloves for their children or themselves. I can tell by looking at clothing if it will fit my son or not. I don’t have same success with getting sizing right online. I can see why many are frustrated. It’s one of those things that effects struggling families more then others. Are baby clothes closed off because sometimes babies are born and you realise a bigger/smaller size is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

It definitely is interesting but I would like to know more about this, what did most go in for and di their condition become worse after contracting covid or not

mohawk wrote: »
    Are baby clothes closed off because sometimes babies are born and you realise a bigger/smaller size is needed.

My local tesco has... socks, underwear, baby grows and pyjamas for sale..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

This is a disgrace, the "second wave" isn't even up and running yet and the "overwhelmed" hospitals are already making tik tok videos.
    https://twitter.com/MUSICJUNKIEDAVE/status/1318866079113007104?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    You know it can get pretty cold here in winter, right?

Clothes are absolutely essential.

OK, you could argue that following fashion trends or having a huge wardrobe is not essential but winter clothing right now would be pretty essential.

It shows how daft the rules are when the local shop can sell you chocolate, crisps and cans of coke but you can't buy a winter coat because that's not essential.

Come on! Let down the hem and cuffs on last year's duffle coat. It it was good enough for us in the 1970s it's good enough now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

bb1234567 wrote: »
    It definitely is interesting but I would like to know more about this, what did most go in for and di their condition become worse after contracting covid or not

I took it as people went in for other reasons and happened to have covid , asymptomatic.

Didn't think it meant they picked up the virus in hospital?

Trying to find the source, thought it was Fergal Bowers that reported it but can't find it now.

GT89 wrote: »
    This is a disgrace, the "second wave isn't even up and running yet and the "overwhelmed" hospitals are already making tik tok videos.

Dreadful video though

I took it as people went in for other reasons and happened to have covid , asymptomatic.

Trying to find the source, thought it was Fergal Bowers that reported it but can't find it now.

Yeh didn't think about that, could be right. I was trying to find the tweet as well to better understand what he meant by the wording used but cant find it now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭prunudo

Never thought of it that way, that would make sense too, I was thinking they picked it up in the hospital, which I'm sure can happen too if in for an extended say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I have to wear a decent shirt and trousers for work. And no, I'm in a hospital so can't work from home, and no we can't wear scrubs in our role.

So I need shirts and trousers. We won't mention that mine are already getting threadbare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

bb1234567 wrote: »

There have been a lot of outbreaks inside the hospitals (Cavan and the recent ones in Naas are the two obvious ones).
    Lot's of already vulnerable patients got infected by these.

People who went into hospital with other conditions and then tested positive are treated as covid admissions, so almost 50% of the covid patients in Hospital actually contracted it in there.

https://twitter.com/RiochtConor2/status/1320700796498042880

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,160 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭8k71ps

It's completely different to ask people to not buy clothes for a couple weeks as a once off than to have large periods of time every few months where nothing is available. Couldn't they institute some sort of price maximum on clothing to discourage non-necessary purchases? It's pretty insane that they're lumping people who need more winter clothing for their children since all the schools windows are open with people who want to buy their 12th pair of Yeezys

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭bennyl10

This is a disgrace, the "second wave isn't even up and running yet and the "overwhelmed" hospitals are already making tik tok videos.

Give over ffs

It’s 30 seconds, those who are catching in and spreading it more frequently at the moment are using tik tok very regularly.

If you have a problem with this you can’t have too many issues in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I have to wear a decent shirt and trousers for work. And no, I'm in a hospital so can't work from home, and no we can't wear scrubs in our role.

So I need shirts and trousers. We won't mention that mine are already getting threadbare.

c8877f12966b4fa983b9393c4467d6b0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

prunudo wrote: »
    I suppose it can be looked at two ways. Covid in the community isn't as dangerous as we're led to believe but at the same time, it still puts pressure on the hospital resources.

If that is the case then half of people in hospital with Covid are not sick enough to be in hospital with Covid but are there for something unrelated.

That really skews the stats IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Nothing makes people think they need new clothes more than telling them they can't have them

• Registered Users Posts: 39,883 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

latest?cb=20180908193511

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

There have been a lot of outbreaks inside the hospitals (Cavan and the recent ones in Naas are the two obvious ones).
    Lot's of already vulnerable patients got infected by these.

People who went into hospital with other conditions and then tested positive are treated as covid admissions, so almost 50% of the covid patients in Hospital actually contracted it in there.

https://twitter.com/RiochtConor2/status/1320700796498042880

It really depends on what the individual figures mean. Does a new covid admission only count people who had tested positive for Covid at the time they were admitted. What about someone who was tested in hospital and that test comes back positive? It could be later that day or even the next day when that result comes back. Are they counted as a positive admissions or just counted under total covid cases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

It really depends on what the individual figures mean. Does a new covid admission only count people who had tested positive for Covid at the time they were admitted. What about someone who was tested in hospital and that test comes back positive? It could be later that day or even the next day when that result comes back. Are they counted as a positive admissions or just counted under total covid cases?

It would be great to get clarity on this but i suspect we won't and no journalist at the press conference is going to ask such a question unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

mloc123 wrote: »
    This being the first winter we will ever see in Ireland... nobody has suitable clothing for it. If only we had winter clothes from last year...

I'm sure most people do have their winter clothes from last year.

What about those who don't? For whatever reason.

I can pop out to the shops now and buy myself a load of junk food but someone who needs some winter gear or just warmer clothes in general can't because that's "not essential".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement