Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,016 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

GT89 wrote: »
    This is a disgrace, the "second wave isn't even up and running yet and the "overwhelmed" hospitals are already making tik tok videos.
    https://twitter.com/MUSICJUNKIEDAVE/status/1318866079113007104?s=19

A part of the spectrum of tasks performed by especially carers and sometimes nurses in a hospital setting is to enable morale, and be there to provide companionship for their patients. It’s not an extra, it’s actually partly what they are employed to do. It’s in the manual. They often between visiting times would sit down for 20 minutes with say a patient, for some conversation, a game of draughts, board game, chess, help with a crossword , whatever.

Similar is happening here. Having a bit of craic.. It’s nothing unusual, in fact it’s very commonplace in children’s hospital.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Strumms wrote: »
    A part of the spectrum of tasks performed by especially carers and sometimes nurses in a hospital setting is to enable morale, and be there to provide companionship for their patients. It’s not an extra, it’s actually partly what they are employed to do. It’s in the manual. They often between visiting times would sit down for 20 minutes with say a patient, for some conversation, a game of draughts, board game, chess, help with a crossword , whatever.

Similar is happening here. Having a bit of craic.. It’s nothing unusual, in fact it’s very commonplace in children’s hospital.

Bit of a difference between helping patients with crosswords and making public tik tok videos. Do you think that nurses in hospitals in Iraq or Syria are making tik tok videos whenever there's a bombing and mass casualties flooding the hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,985 ✭✭✭normanoffside

It really depends on what the individual figures mean. Does a new covid admission only count people who had tested positive for Covid at the time they were admitted. What about someone who was tested in hospital and that test comes back positive? It could be later that day or even the next day when that result comes back. Are they counted as a positive admissions or just counted under total covid cases?

From My understanding anyone tested positive on arrival into hospital is counted as a Covid admission no matter what reason the are admitted for.

Therefore nearly half of our Covid patients actually caught it in there (as they were not counted as Covid admissions)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

What planet are you living on?

GT89 wrote: »
    Bit of a difference between helping patients with crosswords and making public tik tok videos.

Not in terms of them doing their job there isn’t. 5 minutes out of an 8 hour shift to do something fun, with and for patients. Take it from somebody who knows, there is enough to be pissed off about in our hospitals and health services but that ain’t one.

• Advertisement

polesheep wrote: »

This is true. Healthcare should be holistic. Patient need to be involved in their care and it's stops patient assuming "the patient role".

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

From My understanding anyone tested positive on arrival into hospital is counted as a Covid admission no matter what reason the are admitted for.

Therefore nearly half of our Covid patients actually caught it in there (as they were not counted as Covid admissions)

But what is this understanding based on? We don't know what constitutes a covid admission as it has not been clarified by any one. It's possible it is something that is recorded at time of admission and is not updated afterwards. The fact is, we don't know. We really need journalists who will ask these questions to get clarification but as someone said above it just doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

c8877f12966b4fa983b9393c4467d6b0.jpg
    ya know M&S are online with pretty accurate sizing as well as many other stores

A planet where between 2016 and 2017 I spent several months in hospital with a rather grim prognosis which has been turned on its head completely.

So I’m on a planet where I found out first hand the role of carers and even before that experience, two friends of mine do that job, one in hospital, another in the community.... what one are you on ?

But what is this understanding based on? We don't know what constitutes a covid admission as it has not been clarified by any one. It's possible it is something that is recorded at time of admission and is not updated afterwards. The fact is, we don't know. We really need journalists who will ask these questions to get clarification but as someone said above it just doesn't happen.

Agreed.
    But is has been widely reported of patients getting infected in hospital like the Cavan outbreak in the haematology ward and the recent Naas outbreak on the psychiatrist ward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

zinfandel wrote: »
    ya know M&S are online with pretty accurate sizing as well as many other stores

I would buy my undies in no other place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

A planet where between 2016 and 2017 I spent several months in hospital with a rather grim prognosis which has been turned on its head completely.

So I’m on a planet where I found out first hand the role of carers and even before that experience, two friends of mine do that job, one in hospital, another in the community.... what one are you on ?

Nurses are not carers. Two very different professions.

You must have been delirious, there isn't a nurse in any hospital in the country that has the time to do as you described. Neither is it part of their job description.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭MelbourneMan

I hope someone asks if I was making sense all week to be concerned about missed tests from contact tracing distorting figures.

Hello. To clarify the answer should they ask you : any distortion is negligible, and below levels that would influence policy advice and decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

What time are the swabs generally out? I'm dying for a ****

froog wrote: »
    Nurses are not carers. Two very different professions.

I never said they were in fact. They do work together in close proximity with shared goals for their patients however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

I would buy my undies in no other place.

Manly illusions shattered :(

This is true. Healthcare should be holistic. Patient need to be involved in their care and it's stops patient assuming "the patient role".

No, it's not true. The poster seems to be mixing up the hospital staff. Not a difficult thing to do these days they way uniforms are interchangeable.

You must have been delirious, there isn't a nurse in any hospital in the country that has the time to do as you described. Neither is it part of their job description.

I've seen nurses doing many of these things (maybe not doing a crossword with them) but certainly engaging in conversations with patients, allowing patients to vent/ answer queries patients may have about their medical care. It's part of a holistic approach and to help patients make appropriate decisions about their own health care.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1046/j.1466-769X.2002.00107.x

No, I was fully conscious and together my friend . :). No delirium. But it was in the main carers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,210 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Agreed.
    But is has been widely reported of patients getting infected in hospital like the Cavan outbreak in the haematology ward and the recent Naas outbreak on the psychiatrist ward.

Have family members working in hospitals, if someone tests positive when in hospital its a new case and they're counted as a covid admission as they're now being treated for it, regardless of whatever they were in for initially.

If its deemed to be picked up in hospital it'll be notified in HPSC data as acquired in hospital.

Cavan and Naas for example will have been notified as hospital outbreaks and anyone who picked it up in there is now counted in the hospitals covid numbers for the duration of their covid treatment until discharged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Have a pre swab ..walk..( to forage nettles. Or scraps of barbed wire.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Ehm......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

There have been a lot of outbreaks inside the hospitals (Cavan and the recent ones in Naas are the two obvious ones).
    Lot's of already vulnerable patients got infected by these.

People who went into hospital with other conditions and then tested positive are treated as covid admissions, so almost 50% of the covid patients in Hospital actually contracted it in there.

https://twitter.com/RiochtConor2/status/1320700796498042880

I don't think taking the admissions, subtracting the discharges and then comparing it to the number in hospitals gives the true story.

Last HSPC update giving details on Hospital acquired covid was dated 21/10:
    https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-1914-dayepidemiologyreports/COVID-19_14_day_epidemiology_report_20201021_Website.pdf
    Hospital-Aquired.png
    So based on 07/10 - 20/10 (13858 cases) 94 where contracted in a healthcare setting (I'm not sure if that's strictly limited to hospitals, or the hospitals listed on the HSE reports, mental hospitals may not appear in admissions etc...)
    During the same time period, there was 302 hospital admissions, of which 94 should be classed as acquired in hospital (31%)
    So not quite 50% as posted on twitter.

No, I was fully conscious and together my friend . :). No delirium. But it was in the main carers.

I can hear the "beep beep" as you back up.

I've seen nurses doing many of these things (maybe not doing a crossword with them) but certainly engaging in conversations with patients, allowing patients to vent/ answer queries patients may have about their medical care. It's part of a holistic approach and to help patients make appropriate decisions about their own health care.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1046/j.1466-769X.2002.00107.x

That is standard practice and has nothing to do with what the poster said. Read their post again.

Have family members working in hospitals, if someone tests positive when in hospital its a new case and they're counted as a covid admission as they're now being treated for it, regardless of whatever they were in for initially.

If its deemed to be picked up in hospital it'll be notified in HPSC data as acquired in hospital.

Cavan and Naas for example will have been notified as hospital outbreaks and anyone who picked it up in there is now counted in the hospitals covid numbers for the duration of their covid treatment until discharged

Hi, yeah I get all that.
    That Guy Conor on Twitter tracks all the covid admissions and discharges and by his figures 45% acquired it in hospital as the admissions minus the discharges in total only add up to 55% of the total in hospital.

He has pointed out on many days for example that there have been say 16 admissions and 15 discharges but the number of patients with Covid in hospital have gone up by 10 or 20.

As previously said, someone needs to be asking these questions at the press conferences to get some clarity.

I can hear the "beep beep" as you back up.
    :D
    Well, you want to get your ears tested so, or the beeping noises you are hearing might be symptomatic of some other problems of yours that need addressing :eek:

Either way, carers or nurses taking 3 minutes out of a xx hour shift to have a bit of craic with patients and each other is not prohibited ...I had doctors supporting the same football team spend a few mins yapping about the world of football, etc... find something else to get uptight about. It’s a fûckin pandemic !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,210 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Hi, yeah I get all that.
    That Guy Conor on Twitter tracks all the covid admissions and discharges and by his figures 45% acquired it in hospital as the admissions minus the discharges in total only add up to 55% of the total in hospital.

He has pointed out on many days for example that there have been say 16 admissions and 15 discharges but the number of patients with Covid in hospital have gone up but 10 or 20.

As previously said, someone needs to be asking these questions at the press conferences to get some clarity.

Yeah someone needs to ask alright to get it clarified.

I'm not sure its quite that high, as another poster pointed out there HPSC data is around 30% in the last report which given outbreaks would sound about right to me, could well have increased though due to Naas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭eigrod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement