Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mloc123 wrote: »
    Confirming what almost everyone had guessed. No European country has a different plan.

The one thing missing for me is numbers

We know they are currently aiming for less than 100 cases a day as a target to move out of level five

If they could define the threshold for moving back e.g. from three to two or moving up again I think it would give people focus rather than bumbling along with no clarity

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Why is there a time-lag in the reporting of Covid deaths? Surely, it must be possible to report the number of such deaths in a specific period without revealing anything that would indicate the identities of those who died.
    Under present laws that can be up to 3 months. It needs to be changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Masks have nothing to do with Level 5 as they are a placebo for those incapable of rational thought. They are an affront to civilisation.

Ah sure they are placebo, another scientist

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Hearing of some public sector staff being seconded back to contact tracing from Tuesday.

These were initially moved to contact tracing back in March/April and then back to their own departments over the summer. Now being moved back in again for the duration of level 5.

What skills are required for contact tracing?
    Is it effectively a call centre type of operation?
    It seems we need to have a few hundred for the current situation and then have them on standyby when numbers are brought down to July / August levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭political analyst

Main issue is the method of declaring a death in Ireland.

You've 3 months to register a death, until that happens its not notified

But the managers of nursing homes and of hospitals place deaths of residents and of patients on record immediately, don't they? It can't just be left to relatives to register deaths - and what if a deceased person has no surviving relatives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Russman

Stheno wrote: »

We know they are currently aiming for less than 100 cases a day as a target to move out of level five

If they could define the threshold for moving back e.g. from three to two or moving up again I think it would give people focus rather than bumbling along with no clarity

I’d assume there’s other metrics they’d look at though, along with case number ?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

The world will implode if these vaccines turn out to be complete ass

We have invested so much in them at this stage, they will make them work by reducing testing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Masks have nothing to do with Level 5 as they are a placebo for those incapable of rational thought. They are an affront to civilisation.

I thought they were Satanic?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115034595&postcount=42

So maybe you can clarify if our government should be prosecuted for blasphemy, or treason or is it crimes against science?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Russman wrote: »
    I’d assume there’s other metrics they’d look at though, along with case number ?
    They don't like setting targets at all and prefer "as low as possible". That's really not acceptable now and will be even less so if/when we get another one of these in the New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I just got a text for my daughters Covid test... in three hours. No text so far for me or my son. I’ve Been reading lots giving out about people not turning up for their second test... maybe more notice would be helpful! I’m fine but I imagine some people have no transport

Just an update to this, got to the test centre and asked them to put us all in together and they couldn't find my son. Realised the text said a different centre! So they had booked me in one centre and 20 minutes later his in a different centre. No wonder people are missing their 2nd appointments. Luckily I got done with my daughter so I have just one more trip to make

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The combination between case numbers and r number is not something people seem to get.

If the R number is greater than 1 nphet will oppose any move to lower restrictions whatever the case numbers are (because cases are already growing).

If the R number is greater around 1.5 nphet will start screaming for level 5 at around 400-600 cases a day.

Would it help if I defined the point to move to level 5 as the point where the R number and cases and hospitalisation rate suggest that the non covid health service will suffer problems in a month to 6 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,211 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

coastwatch wrote: »
    What skills are required for contact tracing?
    Is it effectively a call centre type of operation?
    It seems we need to have a few hundred for the current situation and then have them on standyby when numbers are brought down to July / August levels.

Of the ones I know of, the ask was essentially proficient in office (email, excel etc) along with some call handling experience.

Nothing major really, something most office based staff would already have. The ones being moved back in were already trained back during March/April so they don't have to do that again but for anyone new coming in there's a training course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Russman wrote: »

There are. They have never said that restrictions will be imposed or lifted on a case number basis. They have always stated that there are multiple factors involved and that case numbers alone would be too simplistic a metric to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Main issue is the method of declaring a death in Ireland.

You've 3 months to register a death, until that happens its not notified

That doesn’t seem to apply to accident deaths. They are often reported weekly/monthly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The combination between case numbers and r number is not something people seem to get.

If the R number is greater than 1 nphet will oppose any move to lower restrictions whatever the case numbers are (because cases are already growing).

If the R number is greater around 1.5 nphet will start screaming for level 5 at around 400-600 cases a day.

Would it help if I defined the point to move to level 5 as the point where the R number and cases and hospitalisation rate suggest that the non covid health service will suffer problems in a month to 6 weeks time.

That's exactly the sort of thing I'd find useful tbh

The North showing no effect from shutting down so far, still 20% positivity
    https://twitter.com/vincekearney/status/1320366770281238528?s=19

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

The lots of the drapery in my local Dunnes was taped off today but not the pajamas or underwear wasn't like that even in the first lockdown. This quite clearly has nothing to do with a virus anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

This truly is the year of useless data

We're being blindsided by numbers

Ger Roe wrote: »
    There are. They have never said that restrictions will be imposed or lifted on a case number basis. They have always stated that there are multiple factors involved and that case numbers alone would be too simplistic a metric to use.
    Level 5 was recommended based on about 3 - current R0 and a predicted higher level of hospital and ICU cases, neither of the latter two are looking that likely at present.

Why is there a time-lag in the reporting of Covid deaths? Surely, it must be possible to report the number of such deaths in a specific period without revealing anything that would indicate the identities of those who died.

You have asked this multiple times and been given answers multiple times.

An example would be my wife's mother. She died unexpectedly of a stroke in the hospital that she worked during her shift.

We knew she died of a stroke as we were told by her colleagues who tried to save her.
    But is was over eight weeks before her doctor got the official cause of death and passed this onto us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

That's exactly the sort of thing I'd find useful tbh

The North showing no effect from shutting down so far, still 20% positivity
    https://twitter.com/vincekearney/status/1320366770281238528?s=19

In the letter to government when they recommended the move to level 5 that's pretty much what they said (cases were x, r number was y, if this continued unmitigated by Z date cases would be u and the number in hospital would be v and that was too much).

Exccuse me subbing in letters I can't go and find it at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Strumms wrote: »
    If people could trust the golf set, but there have been instances so far that shows, well....that’s not really guaranteed...

The act of playing a round of golf isn’t just two people who participate in a sport and ‘can’ adhere to social distancing.

Look at golf at the club..

greenskeepers... doing work that needs to be done more often then not as part of a team, in close quarters with one another. Their job is essential as without them the course is unplayable.

Reception... minimum of two to three to four people, working across the spectrum of ten to eleven hours in close quarters, taking calls, making calls, meeting colleagues and customers...all assorted tasks.

All the vendors who supply them with everything from stationery to paper, to supplies for the course,... golf is not essential.

Greenkeepers in close quarters? What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

is_that_so wrote: »
    HSE say they have rates of about 2% in positivity to go on, that's real life data.

So what goes into a positivity rate?

It is a function of two main things I would think.

1) The amount of people tested
    2) The probability of some who who is tested having the virus.

Kids are more likely to have mild symptoms or be asymptomatic. Therefore they are less likely to be tested.

In the context of schools we know that close contacts are not the same as in the wider world. I.e if someone tests positive we don’t then go on and test the whole group who spent 7 hours in doors for the last 5 days or whatever. You could argue there is a high probability that this would return many more asymptomatic cases if so. Contact tracing breakdown is affecting our numbers massively. My mate calls me and says you should get tested , “yeah defo but I feel grand” Asymptomatics missed = spread continues.

I think the main driver of this is the average number of contacts per household. The households with kids can’t keep this number down. Now we can mitigate in schools but not eliminate the risk.

If cases don’t drop or. Increase 4 weeks after midterm it’ll be obvious.

This is already happening.

https://twitter.com/samhold21632854/status/1320121347826208768?s=21

GT89 wrote: »
    The lots of the drapery in my local Dunnes was taped off today but not the pajamas or underwear wasn't like that even in the first lockdown. This quite clearly has nothing to do with a virus anymore.

What's it about then?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭alentejo

Why have they stopped issuing passports under level 5 restrictions?

Seems covid is dictating every element of government policy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Roger_007 wrote: »
    That doesn’t seem to apply to accident deaths. They are often reported weekly/monthly.

That's not really true. The news may report a particular death from a traffic accident (though not all by any means). The death still has to be registered and the three month period still applies. HSA will report on some accidental deaths where their remit is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,093 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Absolute rubbish from you lad.

That reply up to your usual standard, you don’t agree with it, debate it...;)

In the letter to government when they recommended the move to level 5 that's pretty much what they said (cases were x, r number was y, if this continued unmitigated by Z date cases would be u and the number in hospital would be v and that was too much).

Exccuse me subbing in letters I can't go and find it at the moment.

No worries with the subbing

That approach is not clear enough for me

If they came out with e.g. r must be 1 and no mire than 200 daily cases to maintain level 3 that would help imo - not suggesting these exact numbers mind

• Registered Users Posts: 15,211 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Roger_007 wrote: »

Its deaths in general. Once a death occurs a family/next of kin has 3 months to register the death which includes cause of death etc.

Applies to everything. There was talk of getting this changed so that deaths were notified quickly. Its why we sometimes have deaths notified from a few months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I think the Government will move down from Level 5 earlier than 6 weeks. This will provide an opportunity to have another level 5 when needed down the line.

I am happy to do what I'm told. Medical advice is essential imo.

• Advertisement

Which grifter site for the gullible did you get this pearl of wisdom from?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement