Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

is_that_so wrote: »
    It really shows how people not following public health guidance can spread it. It's like the case in the NW, sure it probably came in on a flight but subsequent behaviours spread it to nearly 60 people.

Yeah sad reality is that there are people who don't agree with the 'advice' or don't want to follow it for whatever reason.

I learned recently that in Germany the quarantine is managed by the border authority / federal police. If found to be in breach 25,000 euro fine.

That seems excessive but how much is this lockdown costing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,569 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You still haven't said what they can do ? Shut down all activities for thousands of kids because they were told parents were standing too close together in a park ?

That exactly is what they should have done. "Sorry folks, there are too many here and social distance is not being kept. We'll have to cancel".

It's called responsible leadership.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭prunudo

circadian wrote: »
    I don't have any issues with the GAA and any time I've brought these incidents up I get accused of having an axe to grind or similar. I really am getting pissed off with the clubs doing whatever they want.

The GAA has done absolutely nothing as a body to try and reign in this sort of carry on. This morning I saw several local kids teams out training. I understand that no contact training with 15 maximum is what's stated for level 5.

This was more than 15 having practice matches. Parents on top of each other shouting from the sidelines. Not one **** given. The local soccer team had a full crew too but less parents hanging around.

I didn't realise training was still allowed in level 5. So they can all mix before, during and after, while parents look on chatting, but I can't go for a 6km solo cycle from my house. These rules make no sense whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

My understanding is there is real time reporting from hospital settings and nursing homes also Reporting where the doctor indicates it as probable. This is required under the 1947 act is is different to normal death registrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    That exactly is what they should have done. "Sorry folks, there are too many here and social distance is not being kept. We'll have to cancel".

It's called responsible leadership.

But we're basing this whole thing of one persons post on the Internet.

Pods of 15 are allowed for kids, you can fit alot of adults in an open area while social distancing to watch their kids. Some people just won't be please until the GAA is disbanded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭circadian

You still haven't said what they can do ? Shut down all activities for thousands of kids because they were told parents were standing too close together in a park ?

If they're informing all levels of the organisation what is expected for these training sessions and that isn't clearly happening, then yes. Shut down the activities because those who are running the training are incapable of following the guidelines of the GAA. Literally any other scenario involving disregard of the rules or advice from the top levels would no doubt result in some sort of penalty, why is this any different?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

any swabs today or it 48hr job

No hse op report for yesterday either. Wonder if anything to do with another possible f up on the numbers.
    The other day when the links were removed for a few days word of pdf's it was down to how icu numbers. One part say 35 or such and another part had an extra 1.
    Noticed the same on the 23rd 37 listed under the bed details but 38 on the following page.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Stheno wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-range-of-key-indicators-on-spread-of-disease-starting-to-decline-1.4390739?mode=amp

If community transmission has stayed at 28% for the pat month, can the drop in cases be attributed to getting clusters reduced as a result of less contacts/getting existing clusters under control?
    Community transmission is still 28%? I thought Tony said it was widespread?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Yeah sad reality is that there are people who don't agree with the 'advice' or don't want to follow it for whatever reason.

I learned recently that in Germany the quarantine is managed by the border authority / federal police. If found to be in breach 25,000 euro fine.

A quick Google and I can't find it, link please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

spookwoman wrote: »
    No hse op report for yesterday either. Wonder if anything to do with another possible f up on the numbers.
    The other day when the links were removed for a few days word of pdf's it was down to how icu numbers. One part say 35 or such and another part had an extra 1.
    Noticed the same on the 23rd 37 listed under the bed details but 38 on the following page.

Hospital numbers on the dashboard this morning were wrong too. Lots of data problems! We never get swabs on Sunday though, as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Community transmission is still 28%? I thought Tony said it was widespread?

Yep. Thats what Paul Reid said its been since the beginning of October

I thought the same as you and have decided that the usual term of "its rampant in the community" must be related to all the clusters or something else

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,094 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That's an interesting question

Let's say it's costing Ireland €25bn

Then let's say Ireland actually has had 100,000 cases including those not diagnosed, that's costing a quarter of a million a case.

I think fining someone up to 10% of that for risking another 1, 10, 20, 50 or more cases is not that unreasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 39,945 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Community transmission will always be the minority figure with any sort of semi functioning contact tracing system in place.

You may not find where the index case picked it up from, but it's "easy" find the 3 family members that index case infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Yep. Thats what Paul Reid said its been since the beginning of October

I thought the same as you and have decided that the usual term of "its rampant in the community" must be related to all the clusters or something else
    Iirc it's considered widespread uncontrolled transmission when the positivity rate is above 5%. Not all cases are being caught. Of those that are, 1 in 4, are community transmission. That could legitimately be considered rampant.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Leo just confirmed what I said on here a few days ago - hospitals having their quietest October ever. Of course i was pillared for saying it here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Turtwig wrote: »
    Iirc it's considered widespread uncontrolled transmission when the positivity rate is above 5%. Not all cases are being caught. Of those that are, 1 in 4, are community transmission. That could legitimately be considered rampant.

Ah I thought the 5% was related to the positivity rate, I.e the WHO consider more than 5% positivity to be not under control?

I was comparing it to when community transmission was 60+% back in March/April

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

manniot2 wrote: »
    Leo just confirmed what I said on here a few days ago - hospitals having their quietest October ever. Of course i was pillared for saying it here.

They’re quiet because a lot of procedures have been cancelled, patients are not getting called for scans etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

manniot2 wrote: »

Theirs a shortage of staff due to isolated from outbreaks and other reasons. I cant imagine how bad it will be if transmission increases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

A quick Google and I can't find it, link please

Sure, Don't have the link to hand. Here's the screenshot. I'll add it when I find it as a courtesy. Below from last night's discussion on this.

EDIT: Link

https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/fileadmin/Dateien/3_Downloads/C/Coronavirus/Infoblatt/NEU_Anlage_1_BMG_Infoblatt_fuer_Einreisende_EN.pdf

530594.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    There quiet because a lot of procedures have been cancelled, patients are not getting called for scans etc.

Not just not getting called, long standing appointments are being postponed until well into next year, or sometimes no new date given at all. I have had three long standing hospital appointments cancelled for the last quarter of this year.

I started to get the 'don't turn up' letters just before the HSE plan for keeping services open, was revealed. I thought it was very ironic.

I have been messed about so much that I would need a secretary service to keep track of appointment changes, and I am sure I am not the only one. Despite the confusion that frequent changing of appointment dates is causing, I have not been asked to confirm receipt of the change letters and would bet that there will be a high number of non appearances for future appointments, because of the confusion being caused and the lack of effort to communicate effectively with patients, to ensure that they understand what is happening.

I think the appointment changing lark is so widespread at this stage that each letter should be followed up with a phone call to the patient to make sure that they are aware of the new arrangements so that they can actually turn up.

Or is that someone else's problem, for another time?

• Advertisement

The tone of Tony's tweets is off putting - "everyone stay home"

https://twitter.com/CMOIreland/status/1320377573059284995?s=19

Really high handed imo

I have not asked it "multiple times".

Why couldn't the doctor have certified the cause of death immediately?

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/death/sudden_or_unexplained_death/postmortems.html

Required in our case because of unexpected death. While her colleagues knew she had a stroke from the symptoms that she displayed right before she collapsed, the doctor didn't want to certify the cause of death as she wasn't a typical candidate for a stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,569 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Really high handed imo

Just sounds like somebody trying to be perfectly clear, to me.

A case of reading something in a tone it wasn't written in??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Really high handed imo

In caps too. Like we’re all imbeciles incapable of understanding him.

It’s getting to the point where he’s going way above his remit here. A celebrity CMO, bizarre. Is he tweeting this because there’s actually been good news today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭redarmy

No further deaths.

1,025 new confirmed cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

1025 cases no deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

1025 cases and ICU up one

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭alentejo

Backlog effect today

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

redarmy wrote: »
    No further deaths.