Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Stheno wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1320209842859134977?s=19

New Princeton study indicates children are a factor in spreading the virus

It would be news to some on this thread that children are in fact human, with the same design of respiratory system as adults.

Ground-breaking stuff indeed for a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

khalessi wrote: »
    Study from Princeton, HSE won't read it as they only read European reports, which conveniently allows them ignore, that Princeton study, the South Korean study and the Indian study which all have shown children's role in transmission
    HSE say they have rates of about 2% in positivity to go on, that's real life data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

speckle wrote: »
    Say that to people who have asthma attacks triggered by hot and humid conditions or those including hospital staff that have allergic reactions to some of the materials and how they are treated. They maybe in the minority both dont discount them at a drop of a hat.
    Some interesting scientific research papers on those minority hospital workers, and have a look at comments on asthma websites, before judging people. Some people with asthma can wear them, others not.

Very easy to day just cocoon, when supports have decreased for those people and services closing due to funding issues which will only get worse if a recession appears.

And if staff taking precautions and everyone else in the public why shouldnt a person who is exempt be not allowed?

It's simple, masks protect people from this virus.

Not wearing a mask for whatever reason, great but don't go to a place where you will be around other people potentially infecting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

is_that_so wrote: »
    HSE say they have rates of about 2% in positivity to go on, that's real life data.

Are they doing serial testing in random schools to confirm that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

majcos wrote: »
    It’s a large enough sample size to be able to make some inferences on positivity rates. Similar data on larger scale from other countries is giving the same results.

Its really not, other countries are admitting there is a problem with schools and transmission

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Well the HSE wanted to test only a pod in a class with covid+ve student, teacher insisteed on whole class being tested and low and behold 7 more asymptomatic children turned up.

Don't test don't see.

Unless you imagine policing people's homes is runner that's a silly comment. It's the close contacts and the number of them that is doing it, not the lack of masks.

I was talking about indoor public places, I never mentioned homes.

Nice whataboutery though.

Are they doing serial testing in random schools to confirm that?!
    You should ask them rather than posit something you're convinced they're doing wrong anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Its really not, other countries are admitting there is a problem with schools and transmission

NPHET have manipulated our figures both through their policies (not considering children in the same classroom as positive cases to be close contacts) and their failures (completely ineffective contact tracing).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Say that to people who have asthma attacks triggered by hot and humid conditions or those including hospital staff that have allergic reactions to some of the materials and how they are treated. They maybe in the minority both dont discount them at a drop of a hat.
    Some interesting scientific research papers on those minority hospital workers, and have a look at comments on asthma websites, before judging people. Some people with asthma can wear them, others not.

Very easy to day just cocoon, when supports have decreased for those people and services closing due to funding issues which will only get worse if a recession appears.

And if staff taking precautions and everyone else in the public why shouldnt a person who is exempt be not allowed?

Masks are to protect others. It isn't rocket science, if you do not wear one, whatever your excuse, then do not enter public transport and buildings. A person unwilling to maintain hygiene should not have a job in a hospital. Partially sighted people are not allowed drive, whether or not this inconveniences them, because they would be a threat to everyone else. And a

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    Well, if that is your attitude... It is pretty obvious from your posts that your aren't the sharpest

Grow some balls and stop acting like a child. If you don't want your siblings visiting, tell them.

Reported.

I was talking about indoor public places, I never mentioned homes.

Nice whataboutery though.
    Well now you know for the next time you go posting loose claims! No data to suggest that many such locations are high risk areas anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

khalessi wrote: »
    Well the HSE wanted to test only a pod in a class with covid+ve student, teacher insisteed on whole class being tested and low and behold 7 more asymptomatic children turned up.

Don't test don't see.

So... There are people saying children aren't being tested, but then some people pointing out the rate of cases in that age group being high. The positivity rate is 2% in kids per NPHET.

So it can't be all three.

Well now you know for the next time you go posting loose claims! No data to suggest that many such locations are high risk areas anyway.

:rolleyes:

Reported.

You don't need to post to report... Just click the little icon :)

GazzaL wrote: »
    NPHET have manipulated our figures both through their policies (not considering children in the same classroom as positive cases to be close contacts) and their failures (completely ineffective contact tracing).

What is the payoff for NHPET (not the government) to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

So... There are people saying children aren't being tested, but then some people pointing out the rate of cases in that age group being high. The positivity rate is 2% in kids per NPHET.

So it can't be all three.

HSE dont want cases in schools, they dont care if they turn up elsewhere, but the fact is there are asymptomatic children in schools not being tested because they are asymptomatic, so parents dont know and schools dont know. There is also unidentifibale community spread hmmm

:rolleyes:
    Nicely done, the pre-pubescent response!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭growleaves

Reported.

To the guards?

You don't need to post to report... Just click the little icon :)

I did :)

• Advertisement

You should ask them rather than posit something you're convinced they're doing wrong anyway.

You are posting a figure from them, and I am asking what was the methodology? Because that 2% figure may be nonsense if limited or no testing is done.

I did :)

Very good. Thanks for keeping us all in the loop.

Nicely done, the pre-pubescent response!

Pointless arguing with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

To be fair, there isn't that many covid patients in hospital as most cases are mild. It's more an issue with staff than issues of bed space at the moment.

Should we not be looking at setting up community field centres for those who show mild to moderate symptomsp, like they did in South Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

It's simple, masks protect people from this virus.

Not wearing a mask for whatever reason, great but don't go to a place where you will be around other people potentially infecting them.

Some of the people know they are high risk and are in the minority who cant wear masks are the most concious of the risks, many of them use all other protective measures and for example may only go to shop every 2/3 weeks having had zero close contacts.. and socially distance while doing so. Where as the mask wearers may have had many social/home contacts and dont bother staying 2 metres away from people shopping.
    Which are you more likely to get infected by?

All I am saying is dont judge a book by its cover or in this case mask or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Biological humans under the age of 19 spread Covid shocker.

Hopefully we stop pretending they don't before Wave 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

I didn’t discount them or say they should not be allowed in.

My post was in reply to AI screening of those wearing masks on entry to shops. Such a system could allow those wearing masks in but also alert a security guard or other member of staff if someone tried to enter without a mask. In that case, the staff could attend to that individual and check if they have a medical exemption.

I intended to imply that those exempt from mask wearing was a smaller proportion of the general population compared to those who can wear masks. I suggested that they should cocoon if they could but my post also acknowledges that this might not be possible for everyone so I suggested that in those cases they could be addressed on an individual basis rather than not be allowed in by AI screening.

Apparently playing GAA and rugby also makes a person immune.

Not so with golf and tennis, it has been scientifically proved that smaller numbers of people playing non contact sport together makes the virus more transmittable.

(It has nothing to do with GAA matches being pay-per-view on the GAAGO streaming service, sponsors etc)

There is a difference between rugby and GAA.

The rugby players are professional and it is their job so they can bubble to a degree and the testing has picked up cases.

GAA players are amateur (teachers, doctors, factory workers etc). Interesting to see that one county forfeited a game as employers of some players are saying players will have to quarantine for 14 days before coming back to the workplace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

Prob not a good idea to get the Guards involved.

If you have any relationship with your siblings ask them to socially distance if your mother is vulnerable and to keep the house ventilated when there.

The isolation involved in lock downs is really difficult for people. And the best thing they can do is to follow the safest practices while there (short of not going at all).

My niece is intelligent and she just shrugs her shoulders at it. It is happening and cannot be stopped - none of them have Covid anyway - she is just so her Nana just lose her mind from the copious about dog BS that will be spouted.

The sister I do get along well with said not much point of arguing or calling the Guards. It would just result in more bad feeling from my father creating actual real upset for my mother against the possible chance there would be an infection.

She suggested should the opportunity arise of making my opinion and disdain known. And that the sight of me going around the house when I get back might help renew my father’s previously help Covid concerns

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement