Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

manniot2 wrote: »
    give over. its political suicide not following nphet as leo quickly realised and backtracked on.

Quite the opposite from me as a voter. Nphet can give advice but I expect the government to make decisions, which include avoiding the economic **** show that will follow on from these lockdowns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Stheno wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1320209842859134977?s=19

New Princeton study indicates children are a factor in spreading the virus

But we all know this doesn't happen in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Eod100 wrote: »
    Varadkar on RTE radio 1 now. Seems confident vaccines will be available in first quarter or first half of year for high risk groups.

He's guessing and spinning at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hmm, there seem to be more than a few doctors doing that throughout this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭giveitholly

How many were in hospital this time last week with covid? Seems like it hasn't climbed as much as previous weeks,maybe I am wrong

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Would it technically be a leak as well, even it's a lie?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭poppers

Varadkar on RTE radio 1 now. Seems confident vaccines will be available in first quarter or first half of year for high risk groups.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40070429.html

Pfizer seem confident their vaccine will be out this yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

How many were in hospital this time last week with covid? Seems like it hasn't climbed as much as previous weeks,maybe I am wrong
    It climbed from 249 as of 8pm Friday 16th of October to 302 as of 8pm Friday 23rd of October (last available HSE operations report). Peak 8pm figure was on October 19th at 311.

However, in latter half of this week has seemed to leveled off and has dropped a little again. Bit early to know for sure but based on numbers in last few days signs of stabilization in hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Guardian saying Uk front liners may get the good stuff by Xmas.

Imagine the first concert or football game you go to without restrictions. Will be heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 24,931 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Th restrictions on golf and tennis are not because of any danger they pose to health. Golf and tennis are perceived to be sports indulged in by the better off in society, so it’s just for the political optics to lump them in with other sports.
    GAA, on the other hand, is perceived as the sport of the ‘ordinary decent’ people of Ireland, so they are allowing it to go ahead in case the ‘ordinary decent’ people get too pi$$ed off and start making trouble.
    If the decisions around sport were based solely on health, they could allow non-contact outdoor sports to go head and simply ban all contact sports.
    It just wouldn’t go down well politically.

If people could trust the golf set, but there have been instances so far that shows, well....that’s not really guaranteed...

The act of playing a round of golf isn’t just two people who participate in a sport and ‘can’ adhere to social distancing.

Look at golf at the club..

greenskeepers... doing work that needs to be done more often then not as part of a team, in close quarters with one another. Their job is essential as without them the course is unplayable.

Reception... minimum of two to three to four people, working across the spectrum of ten to eleven hours in close quarters, taking calls, making calls, meeting colleagues and customers...all assorted tasks.

All the vendors who supply them with everything from stationery to paper, to supplies for the course,... golf is not essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

As of 2pm, 277 patients with Covid-19 are hospitalised, of which 33 are in ICU. 17 additional hospitalizations were made in the last 24 hours.

https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-19-cases-deaths-ireland-today-5237022-Oct2020/

whereas Today

Latest figures from public health officials show there are 295 patients in hospital with Covid-19, of which 37 are in intensive care.

The figures, which are from 8am this morning, is a slight reduction from 312 yesterday.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1025/1173788-coronavirus-ireland/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

But we all know this doesn't happen in Ireland.

Children may spread it but not when they're in school as covid cannot spread when kids are sitting in a classroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

If its the Oxford vaccine its unlikely to stop the staff being infected at some stage and some may still be able to infect others. There will be far more asymptomatic people with the new vaccine with a mild version of covid.

And its very unlikely the vaccine has been trialed on the very highest risk from covid 19, the very elderly, pregnant women or those who are immuno compromised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Strumms wrote: »
    If people could trust the golf set, but there have been instances so far that shows, well....that’s not really guaranteed...

The act of playing a round of golf isn’t just two people who participate in a sport and ‘can’ adhere to social distancing.

Look at golf at the club..

greenskeepers... doing work that needs to be done more often then not as part of a team, in close quarters with one another. Their job is essential as without them the course is unplayable.

Reception... minimum of two to three to four people, working across the spectrum of ten to eleven hours in close quarters, taking calls, making calls, meeting colleagues and customers...all assorted tasks.

All the vendors who supply them with everything from stationery to paper, to supplies for the course,... golf is not essential.
    Absolute rubbish from you lad.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-range-of-key-indicators-on-spread-of-disease-starting-to-decline-1.4390739?mode=amp
    HSE chief executive Paul Reid on Sunday morning noted the eight-day fall in the positivity rate for tests, which on Saturday stood at 6.2 per cent for the previous seven days.

Mr Reid also noted a fall in the number of close contacts, down from 4½ per confrimed case to three.

“Most close contacts are household. Still very early but good. We’re all be part of the solution. Let’s keep this going,” he said on Twitter.

More than 1,000 new cases a day of the disease have been recorded on 10 days this month, but numbers have fallen below this level over the past two days.

The rate of community transmission has remained constant, at 28 per cent, since the start of the month.

If community transmission has stayed at 28% for the pat month, can the drop in cases be attributed to getting clusters reduced as a result of less contacts/getting existing clusters under control?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’d imagine he’s saying it To offer hope to people and to explain the stance the government are taking. In short our government and authorities are banking on a vaccine next year to help us amend our strategy. Whether you agree with that stance or not I think it explains why they have gone with the draconian lockdown strategy. That’s what I’m taking from this sort of interview but some people are looking to attack certain statements at every opportunity.

The lies about schools do really annoy me, but I equally understand why they are lieing. There are more variables to communication with the public and sometimes people want to be led and lied to. The school lie actually suits a lot of people to believe. It’s another thing I’ve sort of noticed, a lot of people don’t like to dig deeper into what they are being told and as such prefer to just take what they are being told at face value. Take Sweden , of course the most of their population are happy to follow a “let it rip”policy, it suits them to believe whatever fairytale their government tells them so they can all mostly suit themselves.

I’m listening to some dope on Newstalk saying “we cannot keep running in fear of this virus” in terms of opening things up. Like what does that even mean? It’s such a soundbite statement that doesn’t hold up under scrutiny but a lit of people would share these sentiments. It’s such an overly simplistic and mostly emotive stance to take on this topic. This seems to be the same kind of view many take in here, “x suits what I want to think therefore I won’t acknowledge anything but the things that suit what I want to believe”.

In other news, supposedly RTE always post negative news, Current top story is “positivity rate continues to decline” https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1025/1173788-coronavirus-ireland/ . So where are all the people complaining about all the negative news to acknowledge this? I’d say they only kick up a fuss when the news is not to their liking.

But let’s look at that in general. I’d say in the most prosperous, peaceful period ever, that most of the news reported was bad. You would swear that Newspapers or news on tv was generally balanced before it. Bad news sells and people are instinctively more interested in bad news, that’s just a fact. So why would anybody expect the news to promote more goods news? Don’t expect news mediums to tell you information the way you want to hear it. Either don’t listen or find multiple sources (Reuters or john Hopkins etc) that Can at least help you challange a narrative or at least get alternative angles. If you only watch a select bunch of sources that upset you then maybe you need to ask why you continue to follow these sources.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Great. Leo says strategy is delay and vaccinate

In other words, rolling restrictions

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1320359131879034882?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Imagine the first concert or football game you go to without restrictions. Will be heaven

The good stuff - are you referring to a vaccine? That's good news.

owlbethere wrote: »
    The good stuff - are you referring to a vaccine? That's good news.

Yes. Its all over British media that they are planning now to roll out a vaccine to healthcar workers in early December

Question is how many of them will take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Children may spread it but not when they're in school as covid cannot spread when kids are sitting in a classroom.

This was said in sarcasm right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

If its the Oxford vaccine its unlikely to stop the staff being infected at some stage and some may be still be able to infect others.

That is completely unknown and we don't have efficiency data yet from phase 3. It is due soon.

In phase 1 trials it was the case that some shedding was observed in the nose of monkeys that were exposed to a higher viral load than any human would be. Others had traces but weren't shedding.

Wait for efficiency data from phase 3 before coming out with such a definitive statement. A vaccine that limits disease severity would be acceptable for a graduated return to normal life, early data showed the lungs being protected and that is key.

Hearing of some public sector staff being seconded back to contact tracing from Tuesday.

These were initially moved to contact tracing back in March/April and then back to their own departments over the summer. Now being moved back in again for the duration of level 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Yes. Its all over British media that they are planning now to roll out a vaccine to healthcar workers in early December

Question is how many of them will take it?

That is good news. I suspect a lot of people in healthcare especially the front line staff might have been exposed and infected already with the virus. I know someone on the fontline over there and she was a positive. Her symptoms were nil. They are testing frontline staff every week there. I suspect a lot of people already were infected with the virus and I don't know how beneficial a vaccine would be.

Would anything happen if someone contracted the virus but was asymptomatic and didn't display any symptoms and they didn't know they had the virus and received a vaccine on top of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Great. Leo says strategy is delay and vaccinate

In other words, rolling restrictions

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1320359131879034882?s=19

Confirming what almost everyone had guessed. No European country has a different plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭political analyst

Why is there a time-lag in the reporting of Covid deaths? Surely, it must be possible to report the number of such deaths in a specific period without revealing anything that would indicate the identities of those who died.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

This was said in sarcasm right?

Pretty sure it was. In line with what Norma trying to tell us :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

majcos wrote: »
    Very very few people are really exempt. The only group that is truly exempt is those who do not understand why they are wearing a mask and would therefore be distressed by it, for example someone with special needs or cognitive impairment. Exemptions include someone who is unconscious or incapacitated and someone who is unable to remove it without help. I believe this in case those groups vomit and then they might aspirate their own vomit or could choke.

HSE website also mentions face mask is not recommended for those who have trouble breathing. I do not understand this one. Masks can definitely be very uncomfortable but masks do not cause a actual drop in oxygen levels. I understand there might be an occasional exception but that could be addressed on an individual basis.

For those with pre-existing trouble breathing to such a degree that they cannot wear a mask for a few minutes and for the other groups mentioned above, surely they should be cocooning as much as possible and not going to shops. There should be very few exemptions.

Masks are to protect others from the wearer so I think the shops might have the right to refuse admission if they themselves felt uncomfortable with a non mask wearer entering the premises.

I am aware of masks. That doesn't imply that they don't cause me severe distress, so your point is nonsensical. Discrimination is a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Goldrickssan

The world will implode if these vaccines turn out to be complete ass

Why is there a time-lag in the reporting of Covid deaths? Surely, it must be possible to report the number of such deaths in a specific period without revealing anything that would indicate the identities of those who died.

Main issue is the method of declaring a death in Ireland.

You've 3 months to register a death, until that happens its not notified

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

There is a pandemic incase you haven't noticed :rolleyes:

People's right to health is far more important to someone's right to shop. Especially when there are online alternatives.

No mask people will mean staying in fecking level 5 for longer, no thanks. Wear a mask when you are around other people or stay away if you can't manage that.

Masks have nothing to do with Level 5 as they are a placebo for those incapable of rational thought. They are an affront to civilisation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement