Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have we come to

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Trying to get a one-up on someone you know nothing about by implying that they are unemployed is a rather pathetic rhetorical device I must say.

I do work, but unlike resentful and selfish people like yourself, I'm happy to see my tax money redistributed so that people who need a hand up in life can live with dignity. Instead of losing sleep over the 'wasters' and 'scroungers' maybe you'd like to consider our corporate tax policy, or just our general priorities in terms of living in this country.

But you begrudge someone success in trying to build a career and make a go of things, i can imagine someone like you in the same dead end job for years to come, sneering at the fools taking a chance like your own employer did at some stage, every day the same looking forward to your week in lanzarote and watching United down the pub in your lucky United Jersey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

84352185_2829748790418000_3693168826515456000_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ohc=-wfTlHAgWNUAX_lKr1U&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=fc7728b2c39451aed1813c498c0aa701&oe=5ECBE7B5

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    To the people lambasting and throwing all sorts of insults at those who voted for SF. You do realise such rhetoric increased their vote over the course of the election?

Be careful, we could be back at the polls in a few months. And Sinn Féin will have even more candidates.....

I'd say be careful what you wish for. Playing senior championship is different to challenge matches - working with committees. SF will be in a difficult position because they will have to compromise a lot of thier ideology in order to get a working government. They will have to dress things up to make it look like 'change'. Because once SF do get in they will no longer be able to claim they are anti-establishment - or use phrases like we do not want more of the same - change.
    SF are already the establishment in NI. Where thier record is mixed to say the least. But in fairness to SF they got thier strategy spot on in the ROI implying that FF/FG are the big business parties, corrupt etc. While somehow dodging thier own questions on thierr approach to republican criminality and lawlessness. Basically not because of any great rhetoric from SF it is vague. It is because of most of the new electorate are not aware of the nitty gritty of SF's darker sides in recent history.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

I think that economics and finance have been over simplified. I doubt fixing the HSE and providing affordable housing is going to be easy to do while also trying to have a relatively functioning economy.

Plus, where will the money come from? Income taxes could be increased but that only makes places like Australia etc. more attractive to young, educated people.

Interesting times.

The magic money tree don’t you know? Free everything for everyone huzzah

But you begrudge someone success in trying to build a career and make a go of things, i can imagine someone like you in the same dead end job for years to come, sneering at the fools taking a chance like your own employer did at some stage, every day the same looking forward to your week in lanzarote and watching United down the pub in your lucky United Jersey

You basically just described the average working man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I think that economics and finance have been over simplified. I doubt fixing the HSE and providing affordable housing is going to be easy to do while also trying to have a relatively functioning economy.

Plus, where will the money come from? Income taxes could be increased but that only makes places like Australia etc. more attractive to young, educated people.

Interesting times.

This is where we sit, increasingly we are having a brain drain where its the uneducated left behind, leading to things like a SF government which will double down on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭RonanG86

AH's favourite populist Peter Casey has received 495 votes in the Dublin West constituency in the first count.

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Verona Murphy is on 5,800 in Wexford. It's 7th place on 1st preference, but only 600 away from 4th place on 1st preference and could get in with the right transfers. So maybe she'll be the new representation of the right wing alternative that the electorate routinely rejects within two elections, if they even get that far.

Personally, I cannot fathom why that many people would vote for someone who basically represents nothing apart from some half-assed remarks she made about brown people. I wouldn't have even considered them racist enough to attract a hard anti-immigration demographic. I guess another form of anti-establishment vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Cupatae wrote: »
    You basically just described the average working man.

Maybe average to you, i know plenty that aspire to more even though they work normal jobs, maybe you should try and mix in better circles, it might drive you on to better things in life than soccer and a week in an Irish pub in spain

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭JuneMoon7

Billcarson wrote: »
    What's more important to young people the past or the future??

Something like the troubles which happened in the past and has nothing to do with them or the fact that many young people cant get a house . Bit of a no brainer.

So youre saying people should just forget. Try telling that to the families of the ones who were killed. This is a party who has never condemned the actions of many and nobody is ever held accountable. What sort of person lauds a party with such a disgraceful past? Its like the Germans voting the Nazis back into power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

This is where we sit, increasingly we are having a brain drain where its the uneducated left behind, leading to things like a SF government which will double down on this.

True and the below might seem crazy but it is happening at the moment.

I'm familiar with a company outside Dublin offering to graduates - 36k, almost 10% bonus, health insurance, defined benefit pension as well as other perks. And they are struggling to find people.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Or perhaps those 'young disenfranchised electorate'are more concerned with health, housing, insurance and childcare issues which FF/FG have failed to address.

That is a fair point but SF are not going to be able to go in and wave a magic wand. It is easy to say the populist things like 'change' rather than having to practically achieve these goals.

It reminds me when Andy Reid was out of the Irish soccer team. He was painted as the saviour of Ireland. The reality was a lot different. I suspect it will be the same if SF ever get in power in the ROI.

Maybe average to you, i know plenty that aspire to more even though they work normal jobs, maybe you should try and mix in better circles, it might drive you on to better things in life than soccer and a week in an Irish pub in spain

There isnt anything wrong with that tho so long as you are content, why are you saying it like its a negative?

You assume alot but know very little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Blaze420 wrote: »
    The magic money tree don’t you know? Free everything for everyone huzzah

Or maybe get adequate services for what we pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,268 ✭✭✭✭noodler

debok wrote: »

I've yet to hear SF make an argument for efficiency.

It's just more spend and less tax

True and the below might seem crazy but it is happening at the moment.

I'm familiar with a company outside Dublin offering to graduates - 36k, almost 10% bonus, health insurance, defined benefit pension as well as other perks. And they are struggling to find people.

If theyre a telecoms company in athlone then I know why theyre struggling.

Graduates want city life and nothing else will do, they want avocado toast, apartments, services beside and no amount of cheap commuting and money will take them away, which is stupidity in itself.

Know a recruiter who had a low experienced software dev say "id want 40k outside dublin but if its for an american company in the city ill take 32"

Unlikely - sure where’s all the money coming from to build these free houses for everyone? You don’t think there’ll be anything left for service or capital expenditure after that? At least the wasters will be comfortable that’s all that matters apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LeineGlas

rtron wrote: »
    Let's just get it over with.
    Vote them in.
    Watch them feck up the country.
    Then revote FF in 4 or 7 years whatever it is.

We're you in a coma between 2007 and 2011?

I know plenty of narcissist's too

Unlikely - sure where’s all the money coming from to build these free houses for everyone? You don’t think there’ll be anything left for service or capital expenditure after that? At least the wasters will be comfortable that’s all that matters apparently

But fg have everyone in employment and happy where are these wasters coming from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Know a recruiter who had a low experienced software dev say "id want 40k outside dublin but if its for an american company in the city ill take 32"

Not Athlone but is a software company.

That's gas. Jesus, whenever I get called about jobs in Dublin I always say I'm not interested and that there would have to be a very large premium to ever remotely tempt me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭endainoz

pgj2015 wrote: »
    The population of morons and scumbags is growing in this country rapidly, thats why sinn fein got so many votes. singing about the black and tans in this day and age, idiots.

The same scumbags who wouldn't bother to get out and vote? Oh wait...

But fg have everyone in employment and happy where are these wasters coming from?

A spoof figure of 10k homeless who just have to be provided a house regardless of what they have contributed to the state coffers? The people who work are going to be ****ed here, the no ambition lowlifes will be further emboldened to sit on their useless holes with their hands out to the rest of us

noodler wrote: »
    I've yet to hear SF make an argument for efficiency.

It's just more spend and less tax

That's fair enough but fg have made all these promises too while in government and haven't delivered. They have no defence. This is just a protest vote hopefully it spurs fg and FF to get back to being with the people and not looking down on them.

Not Athlone but is a software company.

That's gas. Jesus, whenever I get called about jobs in Dublin I always say I'm not interested and that there would have to be a very large premium to ever remotely tempt me.

Thats it, I suppose if youre 21-22 and obsessed with living the TV lifestyle its whats done, id personally rather live in the midlands, buy a one off mansion for 300k and commute for 15 minutes to some purpose built industrial zone , but sure a town with 3 pubs and a 24 hour petrol station to buy smokes would keep me entertained.

A spoof figure of 10k homeless who just have to be provided a house regardless of what they have contributed to the state coffers? The people who work are going to be ****ed here, the no ambition lowlifes will be further emboldened to sit on their useless holes with their hands out to the rest of us

Spoof figure? I suppose rents aren't crazy either?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 18 FLaris

Granted we’ve always had crooks as politicians, but the people pulling the strings now are murderers. It’s sickening that such scum now have such influence in Irish society.

FLaris wrote: »
    Granted we’ve always had crooks as politicians, but the people pulling the strings now are murderers. It’s sickening that such scum now have such influence in Irish society.

Haughey owned an island and ran guns .

Spoof figure? I suppose rents aren't crazy either?

Yeah it’s a spoof figure as far as I’m concerned - it’s not transparent as to what criteria they use to count it. I personally know of 2 wasters gaming the system for a bigger house - having kids while in hotels is like an extra step up the ladder. Anybody who believes everyone on that 10k group is a genuine hard times case is a ****ing idiot, no other way to describe it

Nurses strike last year, homeless children eating off the street, childcare workers striking , teachers striking, health falling asunder hospitals costing billions. Sinn Fein might not be the answer but you seemingly wanted fg rewarded for there mistakes. I think your also wrong on a lot of what you say climate denial and anti euro etc.
    Fg can also be linked to a lot of criminality although there's is more financial and fraud related. There manifesto was also filled with lies and fantasy like you say sinn feins was. The only difference was fg were in power so there is evidence of there lies and fantasy. 9 years of evidence. As a poster said earlier if fg have the country in full employment and everything is so rosy where did all the sinn Fein supposed scrounger voters come from.

I have a number of problems with this post, not just the grammar.
    There will always be strikes in an open and free democracy, that is how it works. There will always be homelessness unfortunately.

The health sector in Ireland will take years to fix because of many competing interests no matter who is in. I love how you link FG to financial and fraud related stuff - while SF have been linked to bank robberies, murder both North and South in recent history. Obviously murder and protection of murderers are far less important? Also the question of who actually controls SF and needs to protect these types of people?

Most SF voters have clearly came from the younger vote who do not remember the troubles. Nor have they dug behind the face of SF and have fallen for the myth that FG have done badly. There are some people in society who will always do badly no matter who is in charge. That is just the reality of life.

You mention lies and fantasy. If there ever has being party who was adept at this it was SF. As a result it meant no justice for those who have lost thier lives through republican linked violence. If SF became more transparent and honest I would vote for them. But at the moment they talk from both sides of thier mouths, with different strategies in two different jurisdictions.

Also you are ignoring how well FG fared on Brexit and how there is near full employment etc. While SF sat on thier hands over Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Great party ff. Michael Martin singing off the rooftops a few days ago that fianna fail or fine Gael wouldn't go into government with sf. Now after seeing how badly his party are doing hes actually open to sharing/forming the next government with fg or sf..
    God what a two sided hypocrite..

Advertisement