Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have we come to

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Welcome to democracy.

If you don’t agree with, leave.

I wouldn’t know where to begin to point out everything daft in that statement. And I’m not sure somebody who made it would understand the explanation...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭omega man

SF must go into government now. No more hurling from the ditch of the opposition benches.
    The bubble will burst once people don’t see the changes promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

No surprise for me or SF hysteria nonsense. FFG have ruled the roost for nearly the history of the state and people don't really care about what happened during the troubles anymore. It's history and the voters have spoken and like the policies SF are putting forward.

Interesting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

If Leo stood by his principles, instead of having to apologise for standing up for those who get out of bed in the morning, things could have been different.

I agree. I'm not really fond of Leo but our supposed "right wing" parties need to start targeting their base properly instead of worrying about being all things to all men.

The shinners and the looney lefties have the so called "poor" wrapped up with promises of free everything. FF and FG fall over themselves trying to match this despite this cohort having no interest in voting for them.

FF and FG need to move overtly to supporting the people who are expected to pay for all the freebies i.e the man/women who gets up early every morning.

We've had a race to the bottom with political correctness

• Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The population of morons and scumbags is growing in this country rapidly, thats why sinn fein got so many votes. singing about the black and tans in this day and age, idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

pgj2015 wrote: »
    The population of morons and scumbags is growing in this country rapidly, thats why sinn fein got so many votes. singing about the black and tans in this day and age, idiots.

Better than fecking commemorating the black and tans and all the 'good work' they did

• Registered Users Posts: 19,069 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Welcome to democracy.

If you don’t agree with it, leave.

Does SF believe in democracy now?

Did they drop their objection to "Free State" government and Gardai/army being illegitimate in contrast to the actual true government of the IRA Central Council?

If they did drop that position, they did it within living memory. i.e. it was probably there when most of their candidates joined the party

• Registered Users Posts: 33,005 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be fair, that singing was a bit cringe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Would argue that it’s a growing population of informed and educated young people who are confident enough to make their own decisions. For too long irish people never challenged difficult topics. They listened to what “mammy and daddy” says and voted for.
    They’ve now changed laws on abortion, same sex marriage, and now will topple the old dinosaurs of FF and FG over 60 voters once they die off.

A great weekend again for the new wave of Irish people. Someone sounds rattled there, is your comfortable life under threat?? Aww

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

To me it seems to be FG in poll position by the end of the count, i can see Leo being taoseach again and Micheal propping them up, nothing to see here or am i missing something? Richard Bruton came on saying they are confident of beating FF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

It's right to condemn SF when they have justified criminality to suit their cause and if they get into power they simply must follow the law of the land and condemn all criminal acts.
    But to sling mud at SF for this and on the other hand not acknowledge that their should be dozens of white collar criminals serving time to this day in prison is hypocritical. The damage done to the country by pure corruption is immense and FF have been at the head of it for decades and the Irish public are really starting to remember this when a ballot paper is in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

rtron wrote: »
    Let's just get it over with.
    Vote them in.
    Watch them feck up the country.
    Then revote FF in 4 or 7 years whatever it is.

The problem as I see it... what kind of damage might befall this country and it’s people in the time between now and the next election... both domestically and internationally... there might just be a hell of a cleanup required unfortunately ...’fûcking up the country’ will have serious implications for the good people in it..for working people..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Yeah. Who gives Margaret cash the free house, masses of cash. There’s 300,000,000 a year on th welfare bonus. Pays e1800 a month to rent the new luxury apartments in Dundrum and charges tenants fifty euro a week to rent them ... the answer is Fg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

FF ducked up the country for the foreseeable future, FG has barely done anything in the past 8? Years. Time for somebody else to try, if I could vote id vote sinn fein

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Seeing SF supporters belting out "come out ye black and tans" is very cringe. Goes to show how wrong FG judged the feelings of Joe Soap, SF has looking at a collapse in there vote before Christmas.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Yeah. Who gives Margaret cash the free house, masses of cash. There’s 300,000,000 a year on th welfare bonus. Pays e1800 a month to rent the new luxury apartments in Dundrum and charges tenants fifty euro a week to rent them ... the answer is Fg

I gave SF my 2nd preference, but in fairness wouldn't SF want even more luxury apartments given to people like Mags? I thought that was how they roll, and why they always got lots of votes from the rough areas of Dublin.

The problem with SF is that they've never really given up their links to the IRA and other similar ideologies. The South moved away from the troubles, but SF will seek to involve us in that swamp of hatred all over again.

God I seriously hope the Irish people are not foolish enough to unify the Island, since a SF government will be pushing that line for the next four years (with the UK happy to see them go). Why is it that every time the Republic starts to do well, Irish people go find ways to screw themselves?

It's right to condemn SF when they have justified criminality to suit their cause and if they get into power they simply must follow the law of the land and condemn all criminal acts.
    But to sling mud at SF for this and on the other hand not acknowledge that their should be dozens of white collar criminals serving time to this day in prison is hypocritical. The damage done to the country by pure corruption is immense and FF have been at the head of it for decades and the Irish public are really starting to remember this when a ballot paper is in front of them.

So... every time that someone criticises SF, they need to also post up that they consider FF to be crooks too? It can't just be assumed that we think that way?

Boards is full of threads/posts condemning the behavior of the other two major parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

El Tarangu wrote: »
    There are plenty of other parties that espouse very similar leftish-populist policies to Sinn Féin, but who haven't been complicit in murdering Gardaí, members of the Defence Forces, members of the Oireachtas, children, census-takers, the Collie Club... I could go on.

Sin fein got a strong vote from the defence forces this time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

The problem with SF is that they've never really given up their links to the IRA and other similar ideologies. The South moved away from the troubles, but SF will seek to involve us in that swamp of hatred all over again.

God I seriously hope the Irish people are not foolish enough to unify the Island, since a SF government will be pushing that line for the next four years (with the UK happy to see them go). Why is it that every time the Republic starts to do well, Irish people go find ways to screw themselves?

*** “The South” is that a large majority bar border ulster counties had no moving away from the troubles to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

In another sense, that's the failure of our current political life. It didn't find a path that reduced the national level of imbecility.

It pandered to it and placated it. I'm thinking in particular, but not exclusively, of the regional development agenda. FF & FG were happy enough to support a view of the world, such that folk in Roscommon should feel jobs will materialise there if only the politicians willed it.

I'm not sure how this will all end. But its not the first time a community decided to vote itself into oblivion.

billyhead wrote: »
    Sinn Fein topping the polls in many constituencies. I believe in democracy but too vote this crowd in as your number 1

It's democracy- FG didn't heed the warnings for the last few years and they're suffering now. While I would absolutely HATE to see SF sharing power with FG or FF, if that's what it takes to have a government, then I'm behind it;
    if it were some other party would i object so strongly? No, I wouldn't, so i have to respect democracy;

and maybe by the time the next election happens, all the other parties will take the election more seriously and put in place solid polices that will work.

A certain section of the electorate have woken up and they're pretty angry- Govt have to listen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

White collar criminals are not seeking election and public office and to be in government.

Sinn Fein, yes a political party with a mandate are unfortunately linked to and contain in their ranks still, individuals whom display little or no regard for the law, democracy and the people of this country... they are dominated in their thinking by obtaining a position in government to further THEIR own narrow objectives and their ‘supporters’....

CBear1993 wrote: »
    *** “The South” is that a large majority bar border ulster counties had no moving away from the troubles to do.

Oh. I'm from the Midlands. I rarely, if ever, think about counties up north. So when I think of the south or the republic, I think of those counties which have moved away from the IRA, and all that associated rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭JuneMoon7

Breakerz wrote: »
    You're looking down on others for not voting for the status quo. The troubles are over. In a generation or two there won't be a FG or FF. Voting for the same parties over and over again and expecting change is incredibly stupid. People are starting to wake up.

Sp WHAT if the so- called troubles are over? does that mean people are meant to forget what the supporters and indeed former members of this party have done? 'calling a very lengthy, significant period of time where men, women and children were brutally murdered 'the troubles' seriously undermines the ferocity of their campaigns of terror and i will never forget that. Younger generations of people are educated about the death camps in World War II, \and told to never forget. Well i think this generation and future generations need and education on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

This like the Irish version of Brexit or Trump......except we turned left instead of right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The first thing SF will do in power is accept most of Brexit's rejected asylum seekers; Ireland = finito.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I gave SF my 2nd preference, but in fairness wouldn't SF want even more luxury apartments given to people like Mags? I thought that was how they roll, and why they always got lots of votes from the rough areas of Dublin.

Possibly. But fg lost a lost a lot of votes. Trying to be all things to all people. This claim that sf will reward the perpetual tracksuit wearers. Fg have been doing that for the last nine years. Paying 1800 a month for a one bed luxury apartment in Dundrum , that the state will never own and we wonder why they can’t orivide far more housing or reward the tax payer etc ? This country has a serious spending problem !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Billcarson

JuneMoon7 wrote: »
    Sp WHAT if the so- called troubles are over? does that mean people are meant to forget what the supporters and indeed former members of this party have done? 'calling a very lengthy, significant period of time where men, women and children were brutally murdered 'the troubles' seriously undermines the ferocity of their campaigns of terror and i will never forget that. Younger generations of people are educated about the death camps in World War II, \and told to never forget. Well i think this generation and future generations need and education on this.

What's more important to young people the past or the future??

Something like the troubles which happened in the past and has nothing to do with them or the fact that many young people cant get a house . Bit of a no brainer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Might be the kick up the hole FF, FG and all their business cronies need to actually run the country properly with all the resources they have.

The are losing their grip on power.

Advertisement