Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have we come to

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

billyhead wrote: »
    Sinn Fein topping the polls in many constituencies. I believe in democracy but too vote this crowd in as your number 1

That's the quote of the day from the 'I'm alright Jack' portion of our unequal society.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

That's the quote of the day from the 'I'm alright Jack' portion of our unequal society.

Watch us all get equally miserable....
    theyre going to need a lot more social houses when the high income earners and multinationals leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,566 ✭✭✭✭briany

I assume that FF and FG will just pair up again, along with a smaller party or a handful of independents. Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Oh Lord what have we done!

briany wrote: »
    I assume that FF and FG will just pair up again, along with a smaller party or a handful of independents. Be grand.

probably, hopefully they don't choose the greens and we can business as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

chrissb8 wrote: »
    FF & FG have done this to themselves. Did they think people were going to take their s***e forever.

What have FG done that is so bad? Recovery after the crash. Got the deal done on Brexit - near full employment in the ROI.

What have SF done promised a vague 'change' ? The same party who has an uneasy history with the SCC and protectors of comrades involved in lawlessness, murder etc. The same party who did nothing during Brexit - could have entered WM but did not. The same party who did nothing in Stormont for 3 years playing games.

I think the problem is many of these new 'young disenfranchised electorate' do not look under the surface, know recent history, nor do they understand the broader picture.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I assume so it will be the next election that will be interesting.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

To the people lambasting and throwing all sorts of insults at those who voted for SF. You do realise such rhetoric increased their vote over the course of the election?

Be careful, we could be back at the polls in a few months. And Sinn Féin will have even more candidates.....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Didn't FF say they won't work with FG or SF?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

theyre going to need a lot more social houses when the high income earners and multinationals leave.

That's an interesting one, what are Sinn Fein corporate tax policy's?? Is it business as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

quokula wrote: »
    We can no longer think we're better than other countries voting for Brexit, Trump, AFD, National Front etc as Ireland now find itself in much the same boat.

To see so many constituencies topped by a party that is nationalist, is populist, pretends complex problems have simple solutions, has a campaign and manifesto built on lies and fantasy, often uses anti-EU rhetoric, and actively engages in climate denial is so utterly depressing. And that's before you get to their direct and active links to violent thugs and criminality.

It's a dark day for Ireland, hopefully whatever government make up we end up with exposes Sinn Fein for who they really are before they can do too much permanent damage to the country.

Nurses strike last year, homeless children eating off the street, childcare workers striking , teachers striking, health falling asunder hospitals costing billions. Sinn Fein might not be the answer but you seemingly wanted fg rewarded for there mistakes. I think your also wrong on a lot of what you say climate denial and anti euro etc.
    Fg can also be linked to a lot of criminality although there's is more financial and fraud related. There manifesto was also filled with lies and fantasy like you say sinn feins was. The only difference was fg were in power so there is evidence of there lies and fantasy. 9 years of evidence. As a poster said earlier if fg have the country in full employment and everything is so rosy where did all the sinn Fein supposed scrounger voters come from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

To see so many constituencies topped by a party that is nationalist, is populist, pretends complex problems have simple solutions, has a campaign and manifesto built on lies and fantasy, often uses anti-EU rhetoric, and actively engages in climate denial is so utterly depressing. And that's before you get to their direct and active links to violent thugs and criminality.

Let's not forget that they openly have ethno-religious breeding (sorry, "changing demographics") as one of their main strategies in the North. Yeah totally progressive...

That's an interesting one, what are Sinn Fein corporate tax policy's?? Is it business as usual.

what their policy currently is and what will be required to even deliver 10% of their promises are two different things.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Didn't FF say they won't work with FG or SF?

Come on, now. You almost sound like you believe that guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

What have FG done that is so bad? Recovery after the crash. Got the deal done on Brexit - near full employment in the ROI.

What have SF done promised a vague 'change' ? The same party who has an uneasy history with the SCC and protectors of comrades involved in lawlessness, murder etc. The same party who did nothing during Brexit - could have entered WM but did not. The same party who did nothing in Stormont for 3 years playing games.

I think the problem is many of these new 'young disenfranchised electorate' do not look under the surface, know recent history, nor do they understand the broader picture.

Health/ Housing/ Insurance Fraud TDs. I could list out so much more. Have you missed that? I didn't vote SF but delighted the two main parties are getting a kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Or perhaps those 'young disenfranchised electorate'are more concerned with health, housing, insurance and childcare issues which FF/FG have failed to address.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Or perhaps those 'young disenfranchised electorate'are more concerned with health, housing, insurance and childcare issues which FF/FG have failed to address.

its not that FF and FG werent concerned, they just wouldnt promise to make somebody else pay for them, SF havent really adressed that but id say apple and google are re-considering just how much they need to be here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭I see sheep

We can no longer think we're better than other countries voting for Brexit, Trump, AFD, National Front etc as Ireland now find itself in much the same boat.

It's a dark day for Ireland, hopefully whatever government make up we end up with exposes Sinn Fein for who they really are before they can do too much permanent damage to the country.

Nonsense.

Comparing Trump to SF :pac:

Couldn't be further apart, the losers in this election are the two big centre right parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

endacl wrote:
    Short memories + shorter consciences

Plenty of Irish children killed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭RonanG86

So we should sweep health, housing and crime under the carpet and stick with FG and FF?

Clearly I didn't make the sarcasm obvious enough.

• Advertisement

Nonsense.

Comparing Trump to SF :pac:

Couldn't be further apart, the losers in this election are the two big centre right parties.

Is trump not on the right ? Fg and FF are considered right
    But voting for sinn Fein considered left is compared to voting for trump. It's all a bit irish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

oh you mean like apple that pay no tax or anything? holding us hostage, to keep the status quo profitable to them.

its not that FF and FG werent concerned, they just wouldnt promise to make somebody else pay for them, SF havent really adressed that but id say apple and google are re-considering just how much they need to be here.

Yeah, the educated workforce bit is alright, but it's the low corporation tax that the tech companies are really here for. Other places in the world that have an educated workforce and who might be willing to look the other way on taxes. Dangerous game to be applying pressure. Having said that, a 100 mil here or there is pocket change to these companies, but it's the world we live in that they hold more of the cards than governments.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Cazale wrote: »
    Plenty of Irish children killed too.

Kind of uncomfortable that somebody would see fit to counter dead children with dead children.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭I see sheep

AH's favourite populist Peter Casey has received 495 votes in the Dublin West constituency in the first count.

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

What’s the worst that can happen?

endacl wrote: »
    Kind of uncomfortable that somebody would see fit to counter dead children with dead children.

Germans killed 6 million and tried to wipe out an entire breed of people we went into Europe no bother with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

You sound proper elitist, tbh its people like you are the reason "Scum and dole" are voting in SF, you want to keep the nest like u have give the ppl just enough so you can continue leaching off the country, what good are half those corporate who are only here for there own gain and threaten to leave if we change, they by proxy own the country. im glad ff and fg got a good decent kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

probably, hopefully they don't choose the greens and we can business as usual.

Ff and FG again would just turn even more people against them. So that would be one silver lining

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I think that economics and finance have been over simplified. I doubt fixing the HSE and providing affordable housing is going to be easy to do while also trying to have a relatively functioning economy.

Plus, where will the money come from? Income taxes could be increased but that only makes places like Australia etc. more attractive to young, educated people.

Interesting times.

Advertisement