Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have we come to

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Cupatae wrote: »
    Shame on all those people on the dole! we should erect a statue of you! ironically enough you are basically a victim of what you are defending lol how does doing that till you re 67-68 tickle you?

Stockholm syndrome at its finest

Did i mention people.on the dole

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Why are all the Rá heads so delighted, does anyone believe that FF and FG will go into government with the shinners as opposed to each other. Can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Fianna fail wrecked the economy, i think its a protest vote against fine gael.
    people are tired of fine gael.
    So vote for labour or sinn fein.we had the peace process, people no longer think of sinn fein as some kind of paramilitary political party.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

endacl wrote: »
    Short memories + shorter consciences

bomb_2223487b.jpg

Who are these boys can I ask ?
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

It's often the slave that hates to see another man free.

The country is full of slaves working for people like yourself, no offence but you shouldn't treat the dole as an income but a stepping stone to betterment and self fulfillment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Why are all the Rá heads so delighted, does anyone believe that FG and FG will go into government with the shinners as opposed to each other. Can't see it happening.

By your logic people who support Fine Gael are Fascist loving Nazi's. You know there history right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Many of them probably started on minimum wage. I did. The point is more about reaching the top of their industry and paying so much in tax, that they'd be better off staying at mid-management. The whole point of working yourself so hard is to gain the monetary benefits that such positions bring. If the government is going to hit them for that, then what's the point bothering at all?

I can't imagine many professionals of those levels staying in Ireland if they're taxed so heavily, since SF will be wanting more revenue to fund their extravagant improvements, especially when/if their tax base shrinks. Such professionals are in demand in Europe and Asia. It'll be interesting how many stay to weather the experience. (I'm not talking about those born into money)

It is, but it reaches a point of ridiculous aswell, im on a decent wage i dont even waste my time looking at the tax because i have enough, and im not on 100K+ its a case of greed it really is, i get it the point is to earn more, but if you can carry more of the burden than you should as well i mean if your earning crazy money whats the problem with shouldering abit more WHEN YOU CAN,

Better luck to them id be all for calling there bluff lets see if they do go to asia and those places, i know in my own career i could earn a far better wage abroad but i like Ireland and amnt soley motivated by money.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,814 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

BanditLuke wrote: »
    FFG protected the church pedos for years.

No doubt, meanwhile, a Sinn Fein actually HAD paedophiles in their own ranks, Seamus Marley being one, this was known to the SF hierarchy who did SFA about it, so that’s paedophiles AND rapists who have had prominent positions and influence in this party.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    By your logic people who support Fine Gael are Fascist loving Nazi's. You know there history right?

You think FF will go in with Sinn Fein, not likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

That's an interesting generalisation of nealry 30% of the electorate in a country with nearly full employment.

We have 1 million people not paying any tax at all , we have tens of thousands trying to get a free house, 30% of the electorate stand to gain if the bullshít is true

• Advertisement

I hope not, hopefully MM wont do a deal with the devil

Cupatae wrote: »
    It is, but it reaches a point of ridiculous aswell, im on a decent wage i dont even waste my time looking at the tax because i have enough, and im not on 100K+ its a case of greed it really is, i get it the point is to earn more, but if you can carry more of the burden than you should as well i mean if your earning crazy money whats the problem with shouldering abit more WHEN YOU CAN,

Better luck to them id be all for calling there bluff lets see if they do go to asia and those places, i know in my own career i could earn a far better wage abroad but i like Ireland and amnt soley motivated by money.

Ok. Fair enough. I left business management with it's good money to become a teacher, so I'm not driven by the desire to make money (or the status that comes with it)... but most of my friends from that other time are... and those without families, will likely leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm a traditional Labour voter and I didn't vote Sinn Féin any preference yesterday.

That said, the whole dismissive, arrogant, sneering, bitter, churlish and naive attitude in this thread is exactly why SF has done so well.

Yes Sinn Féin IRA blew people up, but if you go back far enough you could say Fine Gael led a war against other Irish men and women and destroyed them for dissent.

The point is, its 2020 and nobody cares. At least not enough of the voters in our young population, the largest demographic of 15-40 whose formative years came after 1994.

It would do people like those voicing their opinions on here to get with the programme and get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I dont care. Im just happy that change is coming for the future. FG and FF combined have destroyed this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

The reality is that most people who voted for Sinn Fein was due to them highlighting the domestic issues in Ireland the FG and FF didn’t solve.

The funny thing is that the same voters don’t expect SF to solve these issues either.

I believe a lot of die-hard SF supporters are been given a false belief that the country has turned to supports SF as a party.

All we have done is to give the next party a chance. Let’s see what happens but nobody is expecting much.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

If many voters went for a highly questionable party such as sf, what does that say about the alternatives!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    If many voters went for a highly questionable party such as sf, what does that say about the alternatives!

Very true, our only hope for the future is is SF manage to get any of their crazy high cost policies over the line that it encourages the formation of a right wing party and spurs a vote for them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

Ok. Fair enough. I left business management with it's good money to become a teacher, so I'm not driven by the desire to make money (or the status that comes with it)... but most of my friends from that other time are... and those without families, will likely leave.

I just wanna say i wasnt directing any of my comments at you personally more of just how i see it in general, id agree some probably will.. i think alot will stay aswell, but as you say its a case of wait and see, i personally think the shake up will be good, even if its short lived, it shows FF and FG they dont have free reign and there is appetite for change if they dont get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

As with Brexit, this is the democratic will of the people and it is for the "establishment" now to do some soul searching and figure out why this happened.

This is a cry for help by those who feel left behind and those who quite reasonably wanted an end to the duopoly of FFG.

It's not my personal preference but i hope they do the state some service because i want this country to do well.

We all want the country to do well but it has to be everybody together not just the few that FFG has gone to bat for since the foundation of the state. Nearly every single person i would know is working and tbh the majority are stressed out to death with rents, mortgages, insurance, child care, health care etc... As stated before it's sfa use having full employment in the country if it's only the small minority making money from it.

Also there are people yesterday who voted SF who haven't the foggiest about the troubles nor do they care because they where not born or where too young to be aware. The more FFG and the establishment continue to hanker on about the past the more they will become irrelevant

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Well there is Proof that FG and FF who have experience running a country could not deliver on Health, Housing and Crime for decades.

SF have 0 experience in running a country and don’t even know what’s involved.

Just sit back and watch what happens

tenor.gif?itemid=11562428

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

pgj2015 wrote: »
    You would think we were a third world country or something, do ye not realize you are living in one of richest countries in the world? the standard of living here is up there with the best countries in the world.

all this nonsense you hear about all the homeless people in Ireland, a lot of them have mental problems and choose to live on the streets, the others who live in hotels yet keep having kids even though they have no jobs, well thats their own fault for being so stupid.

It is a such county. With a spending problem. Way too much is spent on crap and wasters. Who would never vote fg. Yet fg bent over backwards for them andany of their working supporters can’t be rewarded while they throw out this money at welfare and SoCal housing like confetti. If varadkar and Fg weren’t media obsessed and spineless and remembered who voted them in last election, they’d be the biggest party , even allowing for the various fcuk ups !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

I'm getting ready for Wagongate.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭RonanG86

BanditLuke wrote: »
    We all want the country to do well but it has to be everybody together not just the few that FFG has gone to bat for since the foundation of the state. Nearly every single person i would know is working and tbh the majority are stressed out to death with rents, mortgages, insurance, child care, health care etc... As stated before it's sfa use having full employment in the country if it's only the small minority making money from it.

We'll not have that logic in here, mate.

Today is entirely a wave of Social Welfare scabs and college students who want everything for nothing voting for Sinn Fein in the belief that they'll plant a forest of money trees.

Decent working people, who want for nothing because of their working decentness and the fact that this is an economically buoyant country and definitely don't have crippling mortgage payments and childcare costs, wouldn't vote for those murderers and pedophiles. Like, no way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'm a traditional Labour voter and I didn't vote Sinn Féin any preference yesterday.

That said, the whole dismissive, arrogant, sneering, bitter, churlish and naive attitude in this thread is exactly why SF has done so well.

Yes Sinn Féin IRA blew people up, but if you go back far enough you could say Fine Gael led a war against other Irish men and women and destroyed them for dissent.

The point is, its 2020 and nobody cares. At least not enough of the voters in our young population, the largest demographic of 15-40 whose formative years came after 1994.

It would do people like those voicing their opinions on here to get with the programme and get used to it.

100 years ago is a big difference to just few years ago and a young man been murdered and the sneering from SF regarding this and the subsequent draggingnout of an apology after initially denying it says it all.

RonanG86 wrote: »
    We'll not have that logic in here, mate.

Today is entirely a wave of Social Welfare scabs and college students who want everything for nothing voting for Sinn Fein in the belief that they'll plant a forest of money trees.

Decent working people, who want for nothing because of their working decentness and the fact that this is an economically buoyant country and definitely don't have crippling mortgage payments and childcare costs, wouldn't vote for those murderers and pedophiles. Like, no way.

So we should sweep health, housing and crime under the carpet and stick with FG and FF?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭omega man

Some people are working exceptionally hard, and handing over 20k of their hard earned wages in rent, then another 10k in childcare.l, before they can think about actually livingz saving for the future, saving for retirement etc.

Your lazy generalisation is what has put SF where they are today denial of the obvious, a refusal to tackle the day to day issues that working people are struggling with every day if their lives.

I am heading towards my fifties, have worked all my life, have been a floating voter, am in a relatively comfortable position, earn a good wage, have a negligable mortgage, and am relatively secure.

I look at the position people ten years younger than me or more are in. People making a start in life, starting a family, starting a career, and looking to start a home. I look at these people and wonder in awe what keeps them going against all the odds, never mind the struggles they will face in trying to provide for their own retirement.

Your assumptions are lazy, ignorant and I'll informed.

I voted FG this time round, and SF second pre intacticly voted to keep ff out, and to try and put manners on fg. I have huge respect for much of what FG have done since the econimicly, and socially. I have huge respect for them finally tackinling SSM and abortion, and for the way they represented Ireland in the brexit negotiations.

I abhore their right wing economic stance, the creation of a child care industry, and an industry of landlords and shared living. I abhore their stance on retirement, and the increase in retirement age.

You keep up with your simplistic analysis of the voter, it will serve you well I am sure.

And yet despite all of this you gave FG your first preference.

My comment wasn’t a generalisation nor an “analysis” but simply a comment on ‘some’ people’s thought process, in my experience.

I myself was born and bred in Dublin, have a young family and commute to my place of work in Dublin (as does my partner) from our home outside of Dublin. However I chose not to blame the government because I can’t buy my choice of property in Dublin but I’m the ignorant one...sure.

We can do better as a society, I completely agree on that but a lot of people seem to blame the government for shortcomings in their own personal circumstances. It’s not that simple and if SF enters into government they and their voters will soon realise you can’t fix problems with slogans. Interesting times ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

The country is full of slaves working for people like yourself, no offence but you shouldn't treat the dole as an income but a stepping stone to betterment and self fulfillment

Trying to get a one-up on someone you know nothing about by implying that they are unemployed is a rather pathetic rhetorical device I must say.

I do work, but unlike resentful and selfish people like yourself, I'm happy to see my tax money redistributed so that people who need a hand up in life can live with dignity. Instead of losing sleep over the 'wasters' and 'scroungers' maybe you'd like to consider our corporate tax policy, or just our general priorities in terms of living in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

Does anyone here actually seriously believe housing rents will fall ( by a large amount, over 5-10% ) under a government with SF in it

Hospital waiting lists not without probably an extra 10p in the euro off everyone's pay packet it just isnt possible.

Many other parties out there if you dont like FFG so what about SF appeals to people cos I have to tell you this is ludicrous. PBP are a crowd of economic pingpong heads but they'd be better than SF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

I am heading towards my fifties, have worked all my life, have been a floating voter, am in a relatively comfortable position, earn a good wage, have a negligable mortgage, and am relatively secure.

I look at the position people ten years younger than me or more are in. People making a start in life, starting a family, starting a career, and looking to start a home. I look at these people and wonder in awe what keeps them going against all the odds, never mind the struggles they will face in trying to provide for their own retirement.....

I abhore their right wing economic stance, the creation of a child care industry, and an industry of landlords and shared living. I abhore their stance on retirement, and the increase in retirement age.
    I agree that we do need to reflect on why this is the electoral outcome being revealed

But can I point out that resolving the inter-generational imbalance that you describe will entail reductions in pension entitlements.

Or, putting it another way, oul lads like you and me expressing surprise that our "lifetime of work" isn't enough to give us what the generation that preceded us got.

The political system hasn't grappled with some issues, or even articulated them well. That's because there's lots of toes they don't want to stand on.

Anyway, if this ends up with SF sharing Government, they'll have to decide who's toes they want to stand on. Their first problem will be recognising the need to befriend people who can actually solve some problems.

• Advertisement

So we should sweep health, housing and crime under the carpet and stick with FG and FF?

What can Sinn Fein do on any of those things. There isn't a housing problem it's everything being centralised in Dublin is the issue there. Health means taking on the unions something Sinn Fein won't do either. Crime, am I the only one knows what happend the head of the Gardas dad, I'd expect him to resign if Sinn Fein end up in power.

Advertisement