Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH McGregor vs Mayweather thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mayweather K.O.
    You do realise no one's forcing you to watch, Captain Buzzkill?

I wouldn't bother even engaging tbh. For someone with a stick up their ass about McGregor and MMA, they sure like commenting on every aspect of any thread that pops up round these parts. Better not to feed those who live under bridges is my motto.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

twinytwo wrote: »
    Let's be honest.. if by some miracle connor rattles Floyd.. . Floyd is gonna run and hug and win on points.

This sums up my prediction.

The only way Conor wins is to lay Floyd out stiff. This is not MMA where a knockdown will allow him to follow up with ground and pound to finish it. Even if Conor lands a one in a million shot and drops him, Floyd will get recovery time leaving Conor needing to land that one in a million shot twice.

Only way to win is to land a one in 2 million shot that knocks him cold, not just down.

I just hope that win or lose, he comea back to MMA. He is legitimately an outstanding fighter and it would be a shame to see him retire at his age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Mayweather DQ
    BREAKING NEWS. The Fight Is Off!..

Justin Beiber has just broken up with Floyd Mayweather by unfollowing him on Instagram. Floyd is reportedly heartbroken and in no emotional condition to fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Mayweather DQ
    DrPhilG wrote: »
    This sums up my prediction.

The only way Conor wins is to lay Floyd out stiff. This is not MMA where a knockdown will allow him to follow up with ground and pound to finish it. Even if Conor lands a one in a million shot and drops him, Floyd will get recovery time leaving Conor needing to land that one in a million shot twice.

Only way to win is to land a one in 2 million shot that knocks him cold, not just down.

I just hope that win or lose, he comea back to MMA. He is legitimately an outstanding fighter and it would be a shame to see him retire at his age.

Doubt we'll see him in MMA again tbh. He get's what 3m a fight in MMA. If he put's up even a half decent display this weekend he'll have another boxing match lined up to make hay whilst the sun shines. If the fight is anywhere close either way you can guarantee they'll be having a rematch for mega money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mayweather DQ
    BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Doubt we'll see him in MMA again tbh. He get's what 3m a fight in MMA. If he put's up even a half decent display this weekend he'll have another boxing match lined up to make hay whilst the sun shines. If the fight is anywhere close either way you can guarantee they'll be having a rematch for mega money.

So he'll defo be back to the UFC come Sunday is what you're saying?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Mayweather DQ
    So he'll defo be back to the UFC come Sunday is what you're saying?

Yeah more or less :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

McGregor DQ
    Conor McGregor is the baddest man on the planet and a man I would never ever back against.

He will win by knockout in the 3rd Round to become the greatest fighter of all time and Irelands greatest ever sportsperson.

Boxing will be declared dead after Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,226 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    Doubt we'll see him in MMA again tbh. He get's what 3m a fight in MMA.

Much more than that these days.

Well over $10m all included I'd say. Still a drop in the ocean of course compared to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Mayweather K.O.
    Mayweather on points, both fighters will be gracious in victory/defeat and walk away with their pockets nicely lined.

I'd be surprised if there hasn't been collusion between camps tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Mayeather has fought 45 of his 49 fights to date on 8oz gloves, all of his KO wins have come in 8oz gloves.

None of those 8oz glove fights were at 154lbs, this'll be his first and Mayweather hasn't knocked anyone out since the 90's (apart from a few women that is).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mayweather DQ
    None of those 8oz glove fights were at 154lbs, this'll be his first and Mayweather hasn't knocked anyone out since the 90's (apart from a few women that is).

Since October 2000 he has 6 TKO's, 1 KO and 2 people who quit on their stools between rounds.

Slightly more than none.

And those were against world class boxers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

McGregor DQ
    Since October 2000 he has 6 TKO's, 1 KO and 2 people who quit on their stools between rounds.

Slightly more than none.

And those were against world class boxers.

He's right about Floyd and 8oz(obv at 147 but its a good while back) but still....MCG has only got his MMA style in his advantage...Floyd is the best matchup(for a top level boxer) for Conor...no real KO power...no danger of KO..BUT BUT BUT....Conor will be doing well to hit him never mind knock him out.

Mayweather is an anti-fighter he wont trade he will avoid.

Mayweather DQ
    Conor's corner will throw the towel in within six rounds or he'll quit on his stool between rounds. He's going to be eating shots for as long as it lasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

McGregor DQ
    Conor's corner will throw the towel in within six rounds or he'll quit on his stool between rounds. He's going to be eating shots for as long as it lasts.

Did you hear how they are talking?:eek::eek::eek:

Ive an awful feeling them lads might be a bit reluctant to throw towels in.

Slightly more than none.

lol :P

We were talking about "Knockouts" not 'TKOs' or fighters quitting.... what the hell are you on about?

As for including Ortiz as a knockout. Don't embarrass yourself.

Again: Floyd hasn't knocked anyone out since the 90's (apart from women perhaps).

Mayweather DQ
    Conor has 1 knock out in in the last 5 years and 4 total...

And none of them at 154, in 8oz gloves, against elite boxers.

You make it hard on yourself to be fair.

Eh, no idea what you're on about. I only give McGregor a slim chance of winning. Hence my first post on this thread.

Now back to Mayweather......... you admit he hasn't knocked anyone out since the 90's now?

Mayweather DQ
    He has stopped 9 world class boxers since the 90's.

Stop trying to clutch at straws.

He hasn't KNOCKED ANYONE OUT since the 90's. No KOs!!!

Do you understand what a 'Knockout' is??

Clearly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

A "stoppage" win can come via two methods of knockout - where somebody fails to make the count or when the referee has to halt the contest. Both KOs and TKOs are often referred to as "knockouts".

So yeah, Mayweather hasn't generally have concussive one-punch power but he's well able to stop fighters as well.

Lastly Outlaw Pete, his last KO was actually in 2011 against Victor Ortiz.

• Advertisement

Mayweather DQ

As pointed out by others, Mayweather has quite a few KO/TKO wins over the years. And all (bar 1) while wearing 8 oz gloves.

It's true none of those stops came at 154. But none of those fights were against boxers as bad as McGregor, They were against the best boxers in the world. Oscar De La Hoya, Miguel Cotto and Canelo Alvarez.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Mayweather K.O.
    Surprised at how many reckon Mayweather will KO McGregor. I don't think that is very likely at all.

I'd say there's more of a chance of Mayweather winning on points, McGregor KOing Mayweather or McGregor getting disqualified for doing something illegal (which would normally be legal in MMA) in the ring.

Mayweather DQ
    cournioni wrote: »
    Surprised at how many reckon Mayweather will KO McGregor. I don't think that is very likely at all.

I'd say there's more of a chance of Mayweather winning on points, McGregor KOing Mayweather or McGregor getting disqualified for doing something illegal (which would normally be legal in MMA) in the ring.

How many Mayweather fights have you watched? You seem to be oblivious to how great of a boxers he is, or how crap McGregor is at the same.

Order of likelyhood,

Mayweather by KO/TKO
    Mayweather by McGregor's disqualification
    Mayweather by decision
    Mayweather suffering a heart attack in the ring
    Mayweather downing in his spit bucket
    Hell freezing over
    Pigs flying
    McGregor winning in anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Mayweather K.O.
    Mayweather does not KO opponents, he doesn't even go for the KO anymore ........... he's a counter-puncher and defensive fighter ......... in fact he's the best counter-puncher/defensive fighter for decades and possibly of all-time.

His last actual KO (discounting his Ortiz "KO" :D 6 years ago or his last TKO 10 years ago) was 18 years ago!!!

He'll win but he'll win the way he always usually wins ......... by Unanimous Decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Mayweather K.O.
    MadDog76 wrote: »
    Mayweather does not KO opponents, he doesn't even go for the KO anymore ........... he's a counter-puncher and defensive fighter ......... in fact he's the best counter-puncher/defensive fighter for decades and possibly of all-time.

Took the Pernell Whitaker style of fighting and made it his own. Not great to watch but it's incredibly effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Mayweather DQ
    cournioni wrote: »

McGregor has never even had an amateur fight let alone a pro one and he is going in against one of the greatest boxers of all time. McGregor struggled in the standup against Nate Diaz and now he is going against a guy who was only hit by 15% of jabs from Canelo Alvarez (argubly the best pound for pound boxer in the world right now).

Unless something crazy happens or they completely work the fight (very possible) this should be completely one sided and over before 6 rounds. As one guy put it yesterday it's like throwing a lion into the ocean and expecting him to kill a shark.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mayweather K.O.
    rossie1977 wrote: »
    McGregor has never even had an amateur fight let alone a pro one and he is going in against one of the greatest boxers of all time. McGregor struggled in the standup against Nate Diaz and now he is going against a guy who was only hit by 15% of jabs from Canelo Alvarez (argubly the best pound for pound boxer in the world right now).

Unless something crazy happens or they completely work the fight (very possible) this should be completely one sided and over before 6 rounds. As one guy put it yesterday it's like throwing a lion into the ocean and expecting him to kill a shark.

I agree with most of your points (bar the Nate stand-up... sure, he got caught but he put him on his arse twice in the second fight and messed his face up in both bouts) but others more educated than me will tell you he has experience as an amateur. Not a high level, granted but he has fought boxing matches in his youth.

The rest of your post is my thoughts on the bout as well. I'd love to see an upset and a McGregor win but no scenario flashes through my mind where Mayweather loses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

rossie1977 wrote: »

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, McGregor was a decent amateur boxer however. (Credit due to him)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

McGregor DQ
    McGregor KO.

Never before I have been more sure about something that the rest of the world was wrong about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Mayweather K.O.
    Mayweather won't know what to expect as he won't have seen McGregor box. McGregor will have a strategy in mind tailored to his opponent. I reckon he'll try to surprise him, possibly with an unorthodox approach, or maybe just by being highly aggressive from the start.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement