Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH McGregor vs Mayweather thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

McGregor DQ
    inside 4

Belief.

KungPao wrote: »
    Gonna go with: Early rounds CM goes for it, FM rides it out - crowd are whoopin

Or Conor knocks him out with his first punch, many people pissed off at spending all that money.

Be totally worth it. Him knocking Floyd out at all, especially in short order would be immense viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mayweather DQ
    In a real fight the boxer would win but as its a pantomime I will go for a draw

What do you mean a by "real fight"?

In a real fight any BJJ brown belt would take down a boxer and do whatever the hell he wants with him within seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The Rock to come out after the 2nd round and rock bottom both of them and take the crown. I'd pay to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Mayweather DQ
    Conspectus wrote: »
    We know this is going to be big in the next week so were going to have this one and only thread on it.

There are going to be a few ground rules though.

1. This is to only discuss the fight.
    2. No name calling of either fighter please.
    3. Keep it civil other than that according to the AH charter.
    4. Have fun.
    5. Forgot to address If you want serious discussion on it please go to the boxing forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057692388
    Read their charter before posting.
    Poll results are public (I think.)

Thread ban list

Have you read that thread lately?

Anyway - I reckon, all things being equal, this should be easiest night of Mayweather's career.

I wouldn't put McGregor's chances at a flat 0% - he is pretty handy at punching people in the head - maybe 4%-5%? But he'd have to be extremely fortunate and Mayweather extremely unfortunate - and the longer the fight goes on the less and less his chances are.

C'mon, it's a guy who has never competed professionally in a sport, facing one of the greatest ever practitioners of a sport, in that sport. I don't buy into all the nonsense about Mayweather's age and McGregor's reach advantage, glove size etc, etc. Mayweather has decades worth of experience against elite level boxers and has beat every single one of them. People looking at other variables and possibilities are clutching at straws.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mayweather K.O.
    Hammer89 wrote:
    At what point do we say, 'Alright Conor. We're all for inspiring the next generation, but let's not perpetuate a complete lie here mate and make impressionable young fighters work their holes off in the gym, dedicate time of their teenage years in pursuit of a pipe dream because you told them that success is guaranteed if the dedication is there'.

You seemed to convieniently ignore the rest of my point. I see there's no need to debate as you're going for the hyperbolic, hysterical reactions. I'll leave it there so, good lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Mayweather K.O.
    Gods help us if McGregor does win, Paul Heyman will be his inspiration I'm the 1 in 49 and 1. If it goes the distance Mayweather on points he is a dancer eloquently able to dodge punches but Conor McGregor is good at coming out of the blocks with blows enough to put Mayweather away quick if he catches him inside the first 4 rounds. It'll be fun that's for sure but what a colossal cluster duck, can't wait for the weigh - in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Necrominus wrote: »
    You seemed to convieniently ignore the rest of my point. I see there's no need to debate as you're going for the hyperbolic, hysterical reactions. I'll leave it there so, good lad.

And yet you've ignored all of mine in favour of trying to patronise me, which is usually an admission of defeat in my experience. But they're too proud, too ego driven not to respond because in their warped minds that's a bigger admission of defeat, so they respond claiming that they're officially walking away, but the real intention is leaving a mark on the other person because that other person left a mark on them and they don't know how to respond with points, so they respond with bitterness instead.

All your last post needed was the 'big grin' emoji - this one :D - to complete the patronising, passive aggressive tone which you think masks the fact you're hurt. It doesn't.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mayweather K.O.
    Hammer89 wrote:
    All your last post needed was the 'big grin' emoji - this one - to complete the patronising, passive aggressive tone which you think masks the fact you're hurt. It doesn't.

Sorry, hurt by what exactly? You're the one blathering on about holding celebrities accountable for others life choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

This talent/hard work thing is gas. It's like that global warming meme with the angry sceptic saying:

"What if global warming is a lie and we create a better world for nothing?"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,099 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Mayweather DQ
    FTA69 wrote: »

The whole fight is a farce, it's the equivalent of Paul O'Connell lining out for Real Madrid and people expecting him to bag a hat-trick in the Champions League final.

I wouldn't be surprised if they've already choreographed the whole thing.

So you believe
    1) McGregor will get whooped but also
    2) that it's a fix.

That's two of your bases covered.

Care for another?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

In a real fight the boxer would win but as its a pantomime I will go for a draw

Historical 'real 'fights with boxers have proven otherwise.

backspin. wrote: »
    Remember Conor v Diaz 1. Where Diaz landed a few flush punches and Conor was in big trouble and ended up shooting for a take down. I think Floyd is likely to do that to Conor over a longer stretch. Maybe 5th or 6th round. I don't see McGregor lasting the distance.

Remember the rematch where he sorted his cardio out?
    If you are basing McGregor's performance in next weeks fight on that fight from last year then you don't have a clue.

Arghus wrote: »
    C'mon, it's a guy who has never competed professionally in a sport, facing one of the greatest ever practitioners of a sport, in that sport...

It's hardly a sport.

For starters, the field of entertainment McGregor is in is not recognised as a sport in this country...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Mayweather DQ
    Arghus wrote: »
    Have you read that thread lately?

Anyway - I reckon, all things being equal, this should be easiest night of Mayweather's career.

I wouldn't put McGregor's chances at a flat 0% - he is pretty handy at punching people in the head - maybe 4%-5%? But he'd have to be extremely fortunate and Mayweather extremely unfortunate - and the longer the fight goes on the less and less his chances are.

C'mon, it's a guy who has never competed professionally in a sport, facing one of the greatest ever practitioners of a sport, in that sport. I don't buy into all the nonsense about Mayweather's age and McGregor's reach advantage, glove size etc, etc. Mayweather has decades worth of experience against elite level boxers and has beat every single one of them. People looking at other variables and possibilities are clutching at straws.

This man is talking sense. As much as I would like one of our own to do the business against Mayweather. I have seen too much of what he does in the ring, This man is the greatest defensive fighter of all time and one of the best boxers in history.

McGregor will have great difficulty even landing a punch on this man, The most skilled boxers in the world, with the fastest hand speed couldn't do it.

Not being able to land punches is one thing, but with those missed shots come sharp, fast, accurate counter punches from Mayweather. And contrary to popular belief, he does have power and he will knock you out.

The whole thing about Mayeather being too old is a non factor. This man is always in top physical condition, his fitness level and stamina in insane. If anything McGregor will be the one looking tired and gasping for air.

There's allot of talk about glove size but it really makes no difference. Mayeather has fought 45 of his 49 fights to date on 8oz gloves, all of his KO wins have come in 8oz gloves. No issues there.

One thing McGregor needs to be very careful of is resisting the urge to kick, knee, elbow or wrestle in this fight. He's more than likely going to lose the fight but he could also lose allot more if he's disqualified. According to Mayeather there could be as much as a 90% purse loss, which could cost him anywhere between 67.5 and 90 million dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Effects wrote: »
    Remember the rematch where he sorted his cardio out?
    If you are basing McGregor's performance in next weeks fight on that fight from last year then you don't have a clue.

His cardio was better in the second Diaz fight but boxing is totally different. It takes a long time training to get that top level boxing specific cardio.

It's not boxing is harder than MMA or vice versa, it's just different muscles being used, different pace and speed, etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

What do you mean a by "real fight"?

In a real fight any BJJ brown belt would take down a boxer and do whatever the hell he wants with him within seconds.

Brown belt? Try blue even. I remember thinking I'd be grand during my first BJJ class and for a good two months was getting mauled to death by everyone in the gym. The only thing the boxing had going for me was better cardio, which just meant I could keep going and getting mauled for longer really.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If mayweather can just picture mcgregor as his wife, conor will be in for a solid beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

McGregor DQ
    Really feel confident for MacGregor here.
    Mayweather is scared, and can't handle southpaws ... I think MacGregor will knock him out in 2nd R.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

It's hardly a sport.

For starters, the field of entertainment McGregor is in is not recognised as a sport in this country...

But synchronised swimming and 'Dressage' is.

MMA is absolutely a sport. The only reason it's not recognised in Ireland is because there is no official governing body in Ireland. It's sport, A violent and vicious one at times, but then so is Boxing.

The state of many of the governing bodies in Ireland and around the world seems to as much of a distraction as a benefit to the sport though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Mayweather DQ
    McGregor wouldn't agree to do the fight unless he felt he could win. I think people writing him off will be in for a shock.

Imagine it will be a cagey close affair where it will look like it may end up going either way until one deciding round.
    I'm in a spot where I'm not a fan of either fighter but am looking forward to seeing what happens, drawn into it with the circus around it.

Either way I don't imagine this will be the last fight. More than likely be some sort of rematch as whoever loses will want redemption and they'll both get another big pay day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mayweather DQ
    FTA69 wrote: »
    Brown belt? Try blue even. I remember thinking I'd be grand during my first BJJ class and for a good two months was getting mauled to death by everyone in the gym. The only thing the boxing had going for me was better cardio, which just meant I could keep going and getting mauled for longer really.

Picked brown because himself from Crumlin is a brown belt.

Ush1 wrote: »
    His cardio was better in the second Diaz fight but boxing is totally different. It takes a long time training to get that top level boxing specific cardio.
    It's not boxing is harder than MMA or vice versa, it's just different muscles being used, different pace and speed, etc..

Of course. My issue is someone comparing him in his wake up call fight to how he's going to fight next week. Diaz McGregor 1 made him totally change the way he trains and fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Mayweather is scared, and can't handle southpaws ...
    He comfortably handled southpaw Manny Paquiao, and Pacquiao is one of the best boxers of all time himself.

I think that the difference in skills between the sports (and consequently the gap in skills that McGregor needs to narrow/close) is much wider than most people imagine.

Really feel confident for MacGregor here.
    Mayweather is scared, and can't handle southpaws ... I think MacGregor will knock him out in 2nd R.

Start by spelling his name right before you make any predictions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭q2xv9rjei4awgb

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Well, they do believe it because their idol is saying it. Their Facebook and Instagram pages are plastered with THIS IMAGE, where McGregor tells them that they can "reach the top" if they simply work hard because "talent does not exist".

At what point do we say, 'Alright Conor. We're all for inspiring the next generation, but let's not perpetuate a complete lie here mate and make impressionable young fighters work their holes off in the gym, dedicate time of their teenage years in pursuit of a pipe dream because you told them that success is guaranteed if the dedication is there'.

It's wrong in my view and if Justin Bieber had made the exact same comments about how talent is a non-factor in regards to singing then you's would be singing a different tune. Guaranteed.

He's a f*cking charlatan.

Frank Lampard was nearly written off as a youngster but, by his own admission, he worked his bollocks off to get where he got.

Same with music...Plenty of guitarists out there in the world that are better than The Edge, Slash and even Rory Gallagher and Hendrix but, they dedicate themselves to their art and put the work and effort in to get where they got.

Face it, you put the time and effort in and dedicate yourself to your art, you will get there! You will get to the top of the mountain! The Lone Wolf

I'm sure you're one of the people who writes, "Pay your taxes Bono" on The Journal, even though he does pay taxes, it's just you can't stand the fact he's multi millionaire.

Begrudging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Mayweather DQ
    Adamocovic wrote: »
    McGregor wouldn't agree to do the fight unless he felt he could win. I think people writing him off will be in for a shock.

Imagine it will be a cagey close affair where it will look like it may end up going either way until one deciding round.
    I'm in a spot where I'm not a fan of either fighter but am looking forward to seeing what happens, drawn into it with the circus around it.

Either way I don't imagine this will be the last fight. More than likely be some sort of rematch as whoever loses will want redemption and they'll both get another big pay day.

McGregor took this fight for the money. He stands to make $100m, win lose or draw. He probably knows in his heart he can't beat this man, But for that kind of money it's worth it.

You clearly have no understanding of the differences in skill level between MMA fighters and boxers, when it comes to boxing skill, Mayweather is levels above that again.

There won't be any rematch either. Mayweather will retire undefeated with 50 fights and 50 wins. Conor will either return to fighting in the UFC or retire himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

McGregor DQ
    A kid from Crumlin, stepping in against the modern day GOAT. A 0-0 against 49-0. He believes in everything he says and carries the Irish flag proudly wherever he goes.

You might not agree with his media persona, you might not like how he sells his fights, but how you can route against a fellow Irishman in arguably the biggest sporting event of the modern era, of all time even? I can't fathom.

McGregor has nothing to lose. 12 rounds of boxing. Lose, and he goes back to his MMA world - a world where he, Mayweather and the rest of the world know a re-match wouldn't last longer than 30 seconds. Win, by KO, decision, anything - and it's the greatest Irish sporting achievement of all time.

49-1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I don't think there's any point in predicting what will happen because I don't trust it at all.

Whatever suits the next fight they will be trying to sell is exactly what will happen

Either a re-match under boxing rules (In which case it will be close, as selling the rematch of a one-sided contest would be difficult)

or a re-match under UFC rules (in which case Mayweather will win fairly easily next weekend)

Or no rematch at all (McGregor wins so that they can set up boxing matches against others)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Mayweather DQ
    McGregor took this fight for the money. He stands to make $100m, win lose or draw. He probably knows in his heart he can't beat this man, But for that kind of money it's worth it.

Obviously money is a big factor but you can't really assume he thinks he can't win. He's an ego driven fighter who's whole image is based on self belief. I would imagine in his head he feels there is very little he can't accomplish whether it is true or not is another thing.
    You clearly have no understanding of the differences in skill level between MMA fighters and boxers, when it comes to boxing skill, Mayweather is levels above that again.

Bit of an obnoxious statement there, so I reckon we leave it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭SteM

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I don't think there's any point in predicting what will happen because I don't trust it at all.

Whatever suits the next fight they will be trying to sell is exactly what will happen

Either a re-match under boxing rules (In which case it will be close, as selling the rematch of a one-sided contest would be difficult)

or a re-match under UFC rules (in which case Mayweather will win fairly easily next weekend)

Or no rematch at all (McGregor wins so that they can set up boxing matches against others)

This isn't the WWE we're talking about here. You think a pro fighter that is 49-0 would be happy to fix the outcome of this fight just so McGregor could go on to other boxing contests? You think a man that's 40 years old and has no MMA experience would consider fighting McGregor under MMA rules? Bizarre.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement