Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH McGregor vs Mayweather thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Mayweather DQ
    benny79 wrote: »
    Mayweather has been knocked down before and rattled a few times.. He picks his fights also and wouldn't fight Pacquiao in his prime plus I taught there fight was dodge as Pacy didnt seem to give it his all! this is just my opinion and I am not doubting Mayweather's talent.. but its like when Liverpool & united were always winning the league they always seem to get the decisions ;)

That's all great but point still stands. Conor has never had a match in his life. It'd be like Henry Shefflin taking on McIlroy in golf because both hit a ball with a stick!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Noveight wrote: »
    There's every chance there has been collusion between the camps. Don't know why you'd completely dismiss the idea of there being an "understanding" before the fight begins.

No, there isn't. At all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,212 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Mayweather DQ
    Omackeral wrote: »
    That's all great but point still stands. Conor has never had a match in his life. It'd be like Henry Shefflin taking on McIlroy in golf because both hit a ball with a stick!

No.

No it isn't.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mayweather K.O.
    Omackeral wrote:
    If the match is fully legit, as some doubt it is, I have this to say on it. Floyd is one of the best ever pound for pound boxers probably ever. People saying ''Ah if Conor catches him ya never know...'' Here's the thing, in 49 fights against the world's best actual boxers, nobody has been able to topple him. Conor has had zero pro fights. None.

Argue that they're both elite fighters by all means but at the same time recognise that a shark and a tiger are both dangerous predators. However, if that fight takes place in the ocean, the tiger ain't gonna be up to much.

This is exactly my thoughts on the fight to be honest. There is no scenario in my mind where I can see McGregor winning despite all the arguments put forward.

It won't stop me rooting for McGregor but it's in blind hope rather than expectation of any miracle to be honest.

Mayweather DQ
    everlast75 wrote: »
    No.

No it isn't.

Why don't you argue or make a point rather than just saying no. I'm saying both are fighters but it's in different sports much like Shefflin and Rory are both sports stars that hit a ball with a stick but are poles apart. It's just an analogy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,641 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Mayweather K.O.
    FTA69 wrote: »
    Has it not been widely reported that he never won the Dublin Novices and that is a made up fact ?
    I could be wrong but iv heard it's not true at all

I don't know to be honest, I'm only going on what I've read.
    I never boxed in Dublin or had much to do with competition there so can't speak from experience. Peter Sutcliffe seems to talk in the article I posted about McGregor competing, and I doubt he's a spoofer on the matter.
    Id say its true so, id heard that it was true and that it wans't from different people id no idea myself

Mayweather DQ
    Again, no actual point being made.

I'll revert you the previous one so

''Argue that they're both elite fighters by all means but at the same time recognise that a shark and a tiger are both dangerous predators. However, if that fight takes place in the ocean, the tiger ain't gonna be up to much.''

Mayweather DQ
    Not disputing that but he's also never had a professional boxing match in his life. That counts massively, massively. It's a different story if he's going in there against a journeyman but Mayweather's whole allure is that he can't be hit. An amateur boxer (which is what Conor is) is hardly gonna do it. It's gonna be something to see, even just for McGregor's stance but he's as much chance as Devin Toner does lining out for the irish soccer team. He's big (understatement!) and skillfull but that doesn't mean he'd make a centre back.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've been balls deep in the build up to this fight for ages now, I can't wait for it.

I'm still none the wiser about who is going to come out on top in this one.
    Everybody is talking about how Mayweather never faced anyone like McGregor with his style mixed with being a southy. But, Mayweather has the brain to figure that out pretty quickly and although in the build up he is not showing much about training, he will have plans in place for this. He hasn't gotten this far without being spectacular at what he does.

But I think that McGregor will catch him with a good shot, probably stun him a bit, then will slow Mayweather down and will have him more open for a finish. It'll be an sidestepping uppercut as well that does the damage.
    If that doesn't happen, as many people are saying, it's going to go the distance as I don't think that Mayweather has the shot to take him down.

Whatever happens, it's going to be interesting, even the aftermath of this is going to go on for a while.

I'm hoping for a McGregor win though. C'Mon the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭budgemook

TheDuchess wrote: »
    Can the fight be ordered if you don't have Sky? Is it possible to
    Order online and stream it on the iPad / laptop?

Should be yeah:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2017/08/24/watch-mayweather-vs-mcgregor-tv-channel-live-stream-details/

How can I live stream the fight?

With Sky Sports Box Office you can watch the fights live via your PC/Desktop/MAC, NOW TV box, iPhone, iPad, Android phone or Android tablet.

It's simple to sign up, pay and watch - create an account and pay at www.skysports.com/boxofficelive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Mayweather K.O.
    mdwexford wrote: »
    No, there isn't. At all.

Thinking there's an absolute zero chance of fixing in one of the most lucrative boxing matches of the decade is naivety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

In sparring.Doesn't really count in fairness.

Mayweather DQ
    And this was in a pro boxing match was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,212 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Mayweather DQ
    ''Argue that they're both elite fighters by all means but at the same time recognise that a shark and a tiger are both dangerous predators. However, if that fight takes place in the ocean, the tiger ain't gonna be up to much.''

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

McGregor DQ
    And this was in a pro boxing match was it?

Pretty much. A 12 round spar with a referee in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

McGregor DQ
    Noveight wrote: »
    Thinking there's an absolute zero chance of fixing in one of the most lucrative boxing matches of the decade is naivety.

I look at it like this.

Floyd already has TMT50, TBE50 and many other brands already registered on the basis of a win. A lose would destroy his persona. Chance of throwing the fight? Next to none.

A win for Conor would catapult him into mega star territory. Beating The Best Ever™? He'd have everyone beating his door in, throwing money at him, from sponsors, to Hollywood, to business opportunities. A loss, for the sake of a rematch? Yeah, it would make him money, but the extras that come from the back of a win? Way more lucrative.

McGregor DQ
    One thing that people overlook on Conor McGregor is that he has forearms as big as Brock Lesnars. This isn't just a large part of his freak punching ability but it will be hard for Floyd Mayweather to pass those massive forearms.

I don't think Floyd Mayweather will even be able to land a decent shot on The Notorious One.

Another thing that needs to be taken into consideration for Team McGregor is that there is absolutely no chance in hell that boxing judges will give a fight on points to an MMA man over the boxer. Boxing judges are as corrupt as a Mexican Policeman. They know full well the game's up if Conor McGregor conquers Boxing in one fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There are a lot of big money bets going in for Mayweather. a couple of People betting a million dollars to win 240k

The average bet on Mcgregor is $212, the average for Mayweather is $8k

For this reason I'd love to see Mayweather lose. All those cocky rich americans will lose their money

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

That's not a boxing match.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

other than sky box office, what none uk channels will be showing this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mayweather DQ
    Akrasia wrote: »
    There are a lot of big money bets going in for Mayweather. a couple of People betting a million dollars to win 240k

The average bet on Mcgregor is $212, the average for Mayweather is $8k

For this reason I'd love to see Mayweather lose. All those cocky rich americans will lose their money

For all the talk of Irish begrudgery against our own. This is the most begrudging statement in the whole of the fight threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

McGregor DQ
    Some of the analogies people are trotting out are ridiculous. Putting a tiger against a shark in the sea is not comparable to two lads in a boxing ring trying to hit each other with their fists. It may be a massive mismatch but McGregor isn't gonna make it easy. Its gonna be an ugly affair.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

I expect Mayweather to have McGregor on the ropes, he is just one punch away from being knocked out and out of nowhere Vince McMahon slides under the ropes and flattens Mayweather with a steel chair and Mcgregor pins him for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Mayweather DQ
    Would it be wrong for the ref to stop it at the first sign of McGregor being in trouble?

He is not a boxer and will not defend himself like a boxer. To a boxing ref he may look out on his feet, not defending himself, and the ref is entitled to step in.

All Mayweather has to do is let the hands go. First televised live bank robbery.

Mayweather DQ

Sound. So Conor is 1-0-0 now. I take it all back.

Mayweather DQ
    Some of the analogies people are trotting out are ridiculous. Putting a tiger against a shark in the sea is not comparable to two lads in a boxing ring trying to hit each other with their fists. It may be a massive mismatch but McGregor isn't gonna make it easy. Its gonna be an ugly affair.

But it just so happens that one of those lads in that ring is possibly the best boxer of all time and the other one has never had a pro boxing match in their life ever.

Best of all time vs a novice.

Not so ridiculous when you put it like that IMO.

McGregor DQ
    myshirt wrote: »
    Would it be wrong for the ref to stop it at the first sign of McGregor being in trouble?

He is not a boxer and will not defend himself like a boxer. To a boxing ref he may look out on his feet, not defending himself, and the ref is entitled to step in.

All Mayweather has to do is let the hands go. First televised live bank robbery.

It doesn't matter if it is a boxer or an MMA fighter, everybody has a different threshold to being knocked out, no matter what their talent. I know they wouldn't be remotely in the same weight class but Floyd Mayweather could not knock a guy like Nate Diaz out. Nate Diaz has some sort of freak threshold of putting up with head shots.

Importantly Floyd Mayweather has barely knocked anybody out over the last decade. He has one knockout (where a fighter thought the round was over) and he admittedly destroyed Ricky Hatton and kept knocking him down.

Conor McGregor has never been knocked out or been TKO'd. Admittedly he usually knocks people out early but nobody in his initial weight division could get close to doing.

We have to ask, what's the difference between a Chad Mendes punch in MMA gloves to a Floyd Mayweather punch in boxing gloves? Is there really that much difference? So much difference that somebody of that size could finally knock Conor McGregor down?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

McGregor DQ
    But it just so happens that one of those lads in that ring is possibly the best boxer of all time and the other one has never had a pro boxing match in their life ever..

yeah but you have to qualify that last part with the fact that the amateur lad is a champion in a sport that involves boxing as one of its disciplines, and boxing is his speciality.

Obviously his strict boxing is leagues below Mayweathers but there's way too many unknown factors on Conor's side to be able to say for certain that just because he has never had a pro boxing match that he's going to be useless. He's been more than holding his own against a former pro and talented amateur Irish boxers in camp and he's a young, aggressive, in the peak of his career athlete who is coming in with a tailored unconventional game-plan so it is not too far-fetched to say that he may even fare better than some of Mayweather's previous opponents IMO. I can definitely see him landing a few good shots in the early rounds at least before Mayweather adapts and starts taking control, and it's in that window where Conor's best chance is I think.

Or I don't know, maybe just use better analogies :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

McGregor DQ

We have to ask, what's the difference between a Chad Mendes punch in MMA gloves to a Floyd Mayweather punch in boxing gloves? Is there really that much difference? So much difference that somebody of that size could finally knock Conor McGregor down?

Floyd is a far more precise striker than what Mendes is.

• Advertisement

Mayweather DQ

Or I don't know, maybe just use better analogies :pac:

I'll stay away from the analogies so and just stick with the facts.

One of the greatest boxers of all time vs a debutant boxer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement