Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH McGregor vs Mayweather thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Mayweather DQ
    Here are my 2 cents.

1. Organisers will say to Mayweather, give them a show. for €100M carry McGregor for 3 rounds. In the fourth, go to town. 4th round KO Mayweather.

2. Organisers will say to Mayweather and McGregor, go the full 12 rounds. Mcgregor to win on points. Mayweather to demand a rematch for another 100M

It doesn't really matter because, whatever the outcome, it's an outcome already decided by the organisers. You hardly think that they would be willing to pay McGregor 100 million to get KO'd inside 2 mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Missing option "The Inland Revenue Service"

The only reason this event is taking happening in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭elefant

Mayweather DQ
    MagicIRL wrote: »
    You might not agree with his media persona, you might not like how he sells his fights, but how you can route against a fellow Irishman in arguably the biggest sporting event of the modern era, of all time even? I can't fathom.

His media persona doesn't stoke up Irish pride in me. I really don't like the fact that, living abroad, the first thing on many people's lips when they think of 'Ireland' is Conor McGregor.

A super athlete, certainly. A example for how self-belief in the face of doubts from everyone else can move mountains, definitely. But his 'media persona' is an embarrassment to me as a personification of Irishness.

In saying that, Mayweather is an utterly despicable character. I don't know who I want to lose more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

McGregor DQ
    Here are my 2 cents.

1. Organisers will say to Mayweather, give them a show. for €100M carry McGregor for 3 rounds. In the fourth, go to town. 4th round KO Mayweather.

2. Organisers will say to Mayweather and McGregor, go the full 12 rounds. Mcgregor to win on points. Mayweather to demand a rematch for another 100M

It doesn't really matter because, whatever the outcome, it's an outcome already decided by the organisers. You hardly think that they would be willing to pay McGregor 100 million to get KO'd inside 2 mins?

One problem with both points. The organizers ARE Mayweather and McGregor. They are the promotions team.

And problem with the second point. Floyds got serious money invested in his 50-0 brand, and will make him more money than the rematch. A rematch also means he has to fight again.

McGregor gets paid, regardless of the outcome. And he could get sparked in the first exchange, as could Mayweather.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Can you imagine Mayweather not only agreeing to lose but trying to let McGregor win on points. Dear God...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Notions of a fix are ludicrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Mayweather DQ
    Please God, one punch each and a double knockout, a fitting finale to a tale of two tossers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Mayweather DQ
    And problem with the second point. Floyds got serious money invested in his 50-0 brand, and will make him more money than the rematch. A rematch also means he has to fight again.

He has several trade marks pending on various 50-0 themed brands. TMT 50, TBE 50 etc.

Arghus wrote: »
    Whatever my own personal opinions about it, there's no way I could say that it isn't a sport. That's a nonsense argument, made when people let their own biases ride roughshod over basic facts.

Sport: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

I was referring to this particular event.

It's sport in the sense that WWE is sport. People like excessive violence and are happy to go along with the idea that it's a real contest. But it's not, it's an event purely designed to raise money, there are no titles at stake, one fellow came out of retirement, the other has no boxing background. Call it an event, entertainment, a show, a spectacle, but it's not sport.

To suggest it is a legitimate competition discredits, for starters, boxers who ply their trade for years in the hopes of winning titles in real bouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Mayweather DQ
    MagicIRL wrote: »
    You might not agree with his media persona, you might not like how he sells his fights, but how you can route against a fellow Irishman in arguably the biggest sporting event of the modern era, of all time even? I can't fathom.

This is something I get thrown at me a lot too. I'm not a McGregor fan, I have a lot of respect for what he's accomplished and he is entertaining but personally I'm just not a fan of his, indifferent to him winning or losing. Now that being said I'm not a fan of Mayweather either, so I just want an entertaining affair regardless of outcome.

But I get it a lot that when people I know find out I'm not a McGregor fan the argument that I should be due to the fact he's Irish is normally thrown at me. Jedward are Irish too, doesn't mean I should be routing for them in talent shows/the charts (no offence Jedward).

Now some will argue it's different and he's representing Ireland so you should back him but the way the sport works in my eyes he's representing himself more so while displaying pride in where he's from. Which fair play to him for, but doesn't mean I'll feel any patriotic obligation to route for him.

Obviously I understand why people from Ireland who are big fans feel differently but just my own take on it all. Taking nothing away from the accomplishments he's managed and the work he's put in.

• Advertisement

I was referring to this particular event.

It's sport in the sense that WWE is sport. People like excessive violence and are happy to go along with the idea that it's a real contest. But it's not, it's an event purely designed to raise money, there are no titles at stake, one fellow came out of retirement, the other has no boxing background. Call it an event, entertainment, a show, a spectacle, but it's not sport.

To suggest it is a legitimate competition discredits, for starters, boxers who ply their trade for years in the hopes of winning titles in real bouts.
    It is all a bit cartoonish, designed to milk money from those who think "ground and pound" is a legitimate move in a "sport". They'll cough up their hard earned, admire the tattoos and beards, drool if there's a bit of blood on the canvas, laugh at witticisms like "ride me dick ya bitch", and analyse what amounts to a pantomime fight between a retired scumbag and a skanger...

So you weren't talking about MMA here?

Ush1 wrote: »
    So you weren't talking about MMA here?

Um, you realise that you have quoted 2 separate posts. Sometimes different posts will contain different points. It's a crazy world!

Um, you realise that you have quoted 2 separate posts. Sometimes different posts will contain different points. It's a crazy world!

It doesn't matter because your answer is the same, you clearly don't consider this fight sport, or MMA a sport.

Obviously waffle no matter what spin you put on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,056 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Remember kids, it's Boxing not UFC that is taking place on Saturday night/Sunday Morning

Remember kids, it's Boxing not UFC that is taking place on Saturday night/Sunday Morning

Well it technically is UFC in that the UFC is a promotor of this boxing match but it's not an MMA fight of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

What time will this roughly start at?

Half debating with myself if I will stay awake for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mayweather DQ
    Well it technically is UFC in that the UFC is a promotor of this boxing match but it's not an MMA fight of course.

The promoters are Mayweather Promotions and McGregor Entertainment.
    The UFC have no role in promotion of the fight but Zuffa, who own the UFC, will get a large proportion of McGregor's cut of the purse, ppv and ticket sales.

Mayweather DQ
    jester77 wrote: »

5-6 am. Better off setting an alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

McGregor DQ
    jester77 wrote: »

Main card is "scheduled" for 4am Irish time.

More than likely will be after 5 before it actually starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

5-6 am. Better off setting an alarm.

cheers. The kids will have me awake by that time... their cartoons will have to wait!

• Advertisement

The promoters are Mayweather Promotions and McGregor Entertainment.
    The UFC have no role in promotion of the fight but Zuffa, who own the UFC, will get a large proportion of McGregor's cut of the purse, ppv and ticket sales.

Why is Dana White at the press conferences and the UFCs social media posting so often about the fight then?

I was under the impression the deal was done with Zuffa(the UFC) who then gave permission for McGregor to fight in a boxing match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Mayweather DQ
    Why is Dana White at the press conferences and the UFCs social media posting so often about the fight then?

I was under the impression the deal was done with Zuffa(the UFC) who then gave permission for McGregor to fight in a boxing match.

The UFC are strictly speaking not involved in the promotion. It's a co promotion of Showtime, Mayweather promotions and McGregor sports & entertainment. The UFC have a separate agreement with McGregor that they will get a large percentage of his cut.

Mayweather DQ
    Why is Dana White at the press conferences

Because any opportunity Dana White has to self promote he'll take it. The man is a leech.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Mayweather K.O.
    Mayweather comfortably on points with McGregor never getting within a country mile of landing anything. Followed by uproar among Irish travelling fans that they were ripped off.

Honestly, the whole thing reeks of a staged exhibition bout like the ones put on between wrestlers and boxers back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

One thing we can be guaranteed of: the lads will be the best of friends after a massively underwhelming spectacle. McGregor will be described by Floyd as "a hell of a competitor, I was so surprised at what he had in there etc etc, what a guy, nothing but respect for him blah blah blah." Conor will describe Floyd as "the best ever, a master of his craft, a young guy from Crumlin managed to challenge the best of all time, I lost to the best, I can hold my head up high etc etc."

Then off to celebrate making millions for a glorified exhibition bout while people sit bleary eyed at 6am and say what a waste of money.

Also the undercard is rubbish now Porter has pulled out so we won't even have any actually decent fight worth staying up for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The only way McGregor can win is if he talks enough prefight sh1t to make Mayweathers ears bleed, this would result in McGregor getting a TKO....
    Failing that scenario 'the one with the small head' should beat the bearded loudmouth into a pulp within about three rounds IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭twinytwo

McGregor DQ
    Really feel confident for MacGregor here.
    Mayweather is scared, and can't handle southpaws ... I think MacGregor will knock him out in 2nd R.

Let's be honest.. if by some miracle connor rattles Floyd.. . Floyd is gonna run and hug and win on points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Draw
    LordSutch wrote: »
    The only way McGregor can win is if he talks enough prefight sh1t to make Mayweathers ears bleed, this would result in McGregor getting a TKO....
    Failing that scenario 'the one with the small head' should beat the bearded loudmouth into a pulp within about three rounds IMO.

Beards are not fashionable anymore. I hope he gets flattened. He'll be the winner either way. 100 million in the bank. It's a spectacle for money nothing more. It would be great if mayweather came in with an electric razor hidden in the front of his gloves and shaved the fecker to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

What station on TV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭SteM

LordSutch wrote: »
    What station on TV?

Sky Sports Box Office.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement