Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH McGregor vs Mayweather thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Mc Gregor wins by a bodyshot ko or the fight never goes ahead as the arena has to be evacuated due to a bomb threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

A small part of me thinks a fella with that amount of confidence and self belief, with the age and physical advantages he has over Floyd, will surely give him a lot of trouble and could engineer a big upset.

But in reality, I think he'll be fighting a shadow for 12 rounds and will loose the decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Mayweather DQ
    Dramatik wrote: »
    Mc Gregor wins by a bodyshot ko or the fight never goes ahead as the arena has to be evacuated due to a bomb threat.

I would say the likelyhood of the arena being exacuated due to a bomb threat is far greater than Mayweather going down to a body shot. The best boxers in the world with more power than Conor couldn't even hurt Mayeather to the body, so what makes you think McGregor could knock him out with body shots?

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I don't think there's any point in predicting what will happen because I don't trust it at all.

It is all a bit cartoonish, designed to milk money from those who think "ground and pound" is a legitimate move in a "sport". They'll cough up their hard earned, admire the tattoos and beards, drool if there's a bit of blood on the canvas, laugh at witticisms like "ride me dick ya bitch", and analyse what amounts to a pantomime fight between a retired scumbag and a skanger...

Mayweather DQ
    Agricola wrote: »
    A small part of me thinks a fella with that amount of confidence and self belief, with the age and physical advantages he has over Floyd, will surely give him a lot of trouble and could engineer a big upset.

But in reality, I think he'll be fighting a shadow for 12 rounds and will loose the decision.

McGregor doesn't have the stamina to go 12 rounds. Even if he his holding his own in there he won't get past the 8th round and could have gassed out long before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It is all a bit cartoonish, designed to milk money from those who think "ground and pound" is a legitimate move in a "sport". They'll cough up their hard earned, admire the tattoos and beards, drool if there's a bit of blood on the canvas, laugh at witticisms like "ride me dick ya bitch", and analyse what amounts to a pantomime fight between a retired scumbag and a skanger...

Sure sure...

So who do we have next on Liveline? Hello der Theresa...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

McGregor doesn't have the stamina to go 12 rounds. Even if he his holding his own in there he won't get past the 8th round and could have gassed out long before.

He did mention in an interview that he's trained for 5 round MMA bouts at 25 minutes length. 12 three minute rounds surely wouldn't be out of the question then. Also considering boxing, (I imagine) is far less strenuous than MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

SteM wrote: »
    This isn't the WWE we're talking about here. You think a pro fighter that is 49-0 would be happy to fix the outcome of this fight just so McGregor could go on to other boxing contests? You think a man that's 40 years old and has no MMA experience would consider fighting McGregor under MMA rules? Bizarre.

You're completely wrong in every aspect of your reply. Mayweather is in financial trouble with massive tax debts and he is taking $100 Million for this and he has agreed to whatever is necessary to pocket this $100 Million and he'll do what's necessary to make another $100 Million if possible. Also according to McGregor, Mayweather is already talking to him about a rematch under MMA rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Mayweather DQ
    McGregor by rear naked choke in the 3rd

Also according to McGregor, Mayweather is already talking to him about a rematch under MMA rules.

:D:D

They should add in more gimmicks, rollerblading maybe, until the penny drops with even the most ardent MMA fans that this event is not a sport, it's, at best, dubious entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭SteM

You're completely wrong in every aspect of your reply. Mayweather is in financial trouble with massive tax debts and he is taking $100 Million for this and he has agreed to whatever is necessary to pocket this $100 Million and he'll do what's necessary to make another $100 Million if possible. Also according to McGregor, Mayweather is already talking to him about a rematch under MMA rules.

Yeah, you're saying they'll risk their careers by fixing a match and I'm the one that's completely wrong.

“Once we get past 26 August then we can talk about other things.” - That was the Mayweather quote from some late night talkshow which somehow turned into a rematch in the octogon.

Mayweather DQ
    Agricola wrote: »
    He did mention in an interview that he's trained for 5 round MMA bouts at 25 minutes length. 12 three minute rounds surely wouldn't be out of the question then. Also considering boxing, (I imagine) is far less strenuous than MMA.

It's extremely draining throwing punches that don't land and at the same time getting punched in the face, head and body yourself. Conor's only chance is to just go for Floyd and try to knock him out in the early rounds. But it's not like other fighters haven't tried that approach before, Floyd will be wise to it and has the defensive ability to offset it. The likely result of this early burst will either be an early counter knock out win for Mayweather or McGregor will hang on a few more rounds and be knocked out later because he's exhausted.

It's extremely draining throwing punches that don't land and at the same time getting punched in the face, head and body yourself. Conor's only chance is to just go for Floyd and try to knock him out in the early rounds. But it's not like other fighters haven't tried that approach before, Floyd will be wise to it and has the defensive ability to offset it. The likely result of this early burst will either be an early counter knock out win for Mayweather or McGregor will hang on a few more rounds and be knocked out later because he's exhausted.

Exactly my thoughts. I've 100 quid on Mayweather by TKO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mayweather DQ

Mayweather will make $350 million + from this fight.

He owes the IRS $29 million but already has assets worth over ten times that figure. Even if he was dead broke right now he'd still have over $300 million after the fight.

People see rich people owe tax and assume they are broke, they tend to just not want to pay tax and draw it out in the hopes of making a deal to reduce their tax liability.

SteM wrote: »
    Yeah, you're saying they'll risk their careers by fixing a match and I'm the one that's completely wrong.

“Once we get past 26 August then we can talk about other things.” - That was the Mayweather quote from some late night talkshow which somehow turned into a rematch in the octogon.

I don't see what is so risky about it. The Nate Diaz fight was McGregor's biggest possible purse up to now and they made sure they got more than one fight out of it - there'll probably be a third eventually. This is no different

They both made reference to a UFC rematch in their press conference in London last month!

I suppose you think all the trash talk is real too.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

McGregor DQ
    I don't think there's any point in predicting what will happen because I don't trust it at all.

Whatever suits the next fight they will be trying to sell is exactly what will happen

Either a re-match under boxing rules (In which case it will be close, as selling the rematch of a one-sided contest would be difficult)

or a re-match under UFC rules (in which case Mayweather will win fairly easily next weekend)

Or no rematch at all (McGregor wins so that they can set up boxing matches against others)
    So whatever happens it's a fix

I don't see what is so risky about it. The Nate Diaz fight was McGregor's biggest possible purse up to now and they made sure they got more than one fight out of it - there'll probably be a third eventually. This is no different

You don't think it's risky to fix a Vegas fight in order set up a second match? Do you think the Diaz fights were fixed too?
    They both made reference to a UFC rematch in their press conference in London last month!

I suppose you think all the trash talk is real too.:rolleyes:

Oh the irony. Reference to a UFC rematch during a press conference but you think I'm the one that believes trash talk? :pac::pac:

Anyway, others have point out how far off you are with your theory of Mayweather needing the money which is your main reason behind your little conspiracy theory so I'll leave it there. Don't want to get dragged too far down your rabbit hole.

Mayweather DQ

Sorry Laois_Man, But you are completely wrong.

Mayeather owes 30 million dollars in back taxes. 23 million from 2015 and 7 million from 2010. With this fight he expects to generate $300m+ The state of Nevada has no income tax so that money can only be state taxed at 7%. 300m - 30m in back taxes - 21m in state tax = 249m net gain for Mayeather. If that's a man in "financial trouble" then I don't know what that term means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Feckoffcup

Mayweather DQ
    Most elite boxers couldn't land a hard punch on him so what makes you think McGregor can.

Sorry Laois_Man, But you are completely wrong.

Mayeather owes 30 million dollars in back taxes. 23 million from 2015 and 7 million from 2010. With this fight he expects to generate $300m+ The state of Nevada has no income tax so that money can only be state taxed at 7%. 300m - 30m in back taxes - 21m in state tax = 249m net gain for Mayeather. If that's a man in "financial trouble" then I don't know what that term means.

Owing $30 Million is financial trouble....yes
    I wasn't talking about his financial trouble AFTER the fight...clearly!

• Advertisement

Do you know what Mayweathers estimated net worth is?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,096 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Mayweather DQ
    Ush1 wrote: »
    Do you know what Mayweathers estimated net worth is?

estimated worth don't pay the bills. they could all be tied up in assets.

You have to see the point being made.

Look, if he had 30 million laying around, I'm sure he would have paid his taxes.

This fight is a clear incentive to get cash in to clear off his debts.

everlast75 wrote: »
    estimated worth don't pay the bills. they could all be tied up in assets.

You have to see the point being made.

Look, if he had 30 million laying around, I'm sure he would have paid his taxes.

This fight is a clear incentive to get cash in to clear off his debts.

Most rich people in America owe the IRS a lot, this is nothing out of the ordinary. This is an extremely lucrative and easy fight for Floyd and that's why it's happening, tax bill or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Syphonax

This will be like an eight year old watching the WWF without all the entertainment and value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

McGregor DQ

If Mayweather wanted to clear his tax bill, he could shift a few of his cars.

Yes you were. You suggested that they would fix this fight so they could have a rematch because Mayweather needed the money because he was in financial trouble. Why would they fix the first fight to go for a rematch if he won't need the money after the first fight?

Your logic is all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mayweather DQ

Mayweather has plenty of cash. He'll also make about $400m+ on this fight. Don't believe the propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,056 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I just cannot for the life of me seeing McGregor getting anywhere near him. I follow Boxing all my life, but never watched UFC but I be stunned if a guy with no real boxing experience can do what some expect him to do against one of all time greats.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,096 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Mayweather DQ
    I just cannot for the life of me seeing McGregor getting anywhere near him. I follow Boxing all my life, but never watched UFC but I'll be stunned if a guy with no real boxing experience can do what some expect him to do against one of all time greats.

Mayweather will be too

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Mayweather DQ
    It's hardly a sport.

For starters, the field of entertainment McGregor is in is not recognised as a sport in this country...

You read what you wanted to read there. I'm not talking about MMA: I'm talking about boxing. Read it again.

I don't really want to get into the debate about whether MMA is a sport, but, okay....

I don't particularly like it myself: I find it too brutal - there's something about people being able to repeatedly strike the head of a downed opponent that I find disgusting. Also I think the hoopla and hype that surrounds it is just total dumb hot air: I get sick of hearing about it.

BUT...

Whatever my own personal opinions about it, there's no way I could say that it isn't a sport. That's a nonsense argument, made when people let their own biases ride roughshod over basic facts.

Sport: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Seems pretty clear cut and inarguble to me. You can bash MMA for numerous justifiable reasons but to say it isn't something that it very cleary fundamentally is so much of an intellectually lazy barstool opinion, that it's borderline stupid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement