Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH McGregor vs Mayweather thread

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

osarusan wrote: »
    No he shouldn't. He was up against one of the very boxers in the whole history of the sport - who has definitely lost a bit of his speed, but doesn't seem to have lost any of his composure or analytical skills. Ridiculous to suggest that he should be ashamed to be stopped by such a boxer.

He should well past his prime not known for Knock outs in later years and he was a much larger guy. He should 100% be ashamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

That comment about Floyd is dead on. This was not Floyd in his prime he is old for a contact sport and stopped training for 2 years as he was retired and he was also a lot smaller than Mcgregor and still Floyd got a TKO.

Call the outcome what ever way you want but Mcgregor should be ashamed with having getting stopped.

McGregor got the perfect stoppage. He said after the fight that he wasn't hurt just exhausted.

Discodog wrote: »
    McGregor got the perfect stoppage. He said after the fight that he wasn't hurt just exhausted.

Bull**** did you even watch the fight, if the fight went on any longer he could have got a serious brain injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

McGregor DQ
    He should well past his prime not known for Knock outs in later years and he was a much larger guy. He should 100% be ashamed.

Are you trolling? Serious question.

The guy was beaten end of story.... by a TKO as he was fúcked. Left in the ring any longer and he could have got a serious brain injury. People seem to forget this was a boxing match with different rules than MMA and Conor knows the rules. If you are under serious threat in a boxing match and not fighting back the ref with stop the contest.

Conor as he was beaten afterwards he was saying how he could have kept going no he could not. Watch the fight in the conor after the 9th round he was fúcked and you could see it in his eyes that he did not want to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I think we all know the answer...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Draw
    The guy was beaten end of story.... by a TKO as he was fúcked. Left in the ring any longer and he could have got a serious brain injury. People seem to forget this was a boxing match with different rules than MMA and Conor knows the rules. If you are under serious threat in a boxing match and not fighting back the ref with stop the contest.

Conor as he was beaten afterwards he was saying how he could have kept going no he could not. Watch the fight in the conor after the 9th round he was fúcked and you could see it in his eyes that he did not want to be there.

Everything you're saying here is right. However when you said "mcgregor was the bigger fighter so he should ashamed", that's an incredibly silly remark. I mean if being bigger mattered so much, Mayweather would have been beaten by one of the 49 other guys he went against.

Because he was the bigger guy, lol.

Everything you're saying here is right. However when you said "mcgregor was the bigger fighter so he should ashamed", that's an incredibly silly remark. I mean if being bigger mattered so much, Mayweather would have been beaten by one of the 49 other guys he went against.

Because he was the bigger guy, lol.

I suppose your right. I was just fed up with his comments leading up to the fight.

I am boxing. You are all going to eat your words. I will knock him out within 4 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Mayweather K.O.
    Bull**** did you even watch the fight, if the fight went on any longer he could have got a serious brain injury.

It would be fairly difficult to tell even if that was to occur.

Draw
    I suppose your right. I was just fed up with his comments leading up to the fight.

I am boxing. You are all going to eat your words. I will knock him out within 4 rounds.

Oh I totally agree, he's a disgrace. He even put his hands on Mayweather's head at one point as Mayweather was sitting down, everyone started freaking out except Mayweather. Mayweather must have the patience of a saint to tolerate that, honestly I don't know if he should have allowed it. Directly embarrassing Irish people by saying he had the whole of Ireland behind him and repeatedly saying Irish people take over. I was all for McGregor the outlandish character until I realized he was just stupid and really offensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Watched it live. McGregor criticised the stoppage, not me. But it was a cautious stoppage especially as there were no knock downs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Glad he's coming back to MMA. Last night proved what a boring shambles of a "sport" boxing is lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Oh I totally agree, he's a disgrace. He even put his hands on Mayweather's head at one point as Mayweather was sitting down, everyone started freaking out except Mayweather. Mayweather must have the patience of a saint to tolerate that, honestly I don't know if he should have allowed it. Directly embarrassing Irish people by saying he had the whole of Ireland behind him and repeatedly saying Irish people take over. I was all for McGregor the outlandish character until I realized he was just stupid and really offensive.

Yeah, what a bastard.

Honestly, some of the things people are moaning about. It's a fight. He was trying to sell it.

Who gives a crap if he put his hand on Floyd's head ffs!!!

Sure Mayweather put his hands around Ortiz's throat!

MayweatherOrtizWeighIn_Hoganphotos1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Mayweather DQ
    chupacabra wrote: »
    Glad he's coming back to MMA. Last night proved what a boring shambles of a "sport" boxing is lol

McGregor is in better company back in UFC. He looked seriously out of breath last night based on the news report. Wheezing and panting away like a chain smoker. I'm not in great shape, but I'm confident I'd beat McGregor in a 10k or half marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 shookie

This is very simple. A ****e novice boxer got the ****e beating out of him! No Shame, he wasn't expected to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

McGregor is in better company back in UFC. He looked seriously out of breath last night based on the news report. Wheezing and panting away like a chain smoker. I'm not in great shape, but I'm confident I'd beat McGregor in a 10k or half marathon.

Im sure you could :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Wouldn't know a lot about either mma or boxing and only watched it after all the hype surrounding it. I think mayweather was very composed and calm and didn't seem too rattled by the support Conor had or Conor's mouth.

Conor's a show man, he made them both a serious amount of cash, he built up a serious hype to this fight, he got people (like me) who'd have no interest in those fights really really hyped up for it, he sold it. Yeah he's outlandish, tacky, a bit of a mouth but he also does a lot for his local area and in particular kids charities, and word has it "normal" Conor Mc Gregor is a pretty nice person.

For someone with no boxing experience to go against the best boxer in the world (I assume?) and hold his own for ten rounds, fair play. There's no shame in losing, there had to be someone who didn't win. He's got so many kids interested in sports again and that can only be a good thing?

I don't think he has anything to feel embarrassed or shamed about? He did well, considering he's not a boxer. Would floyd have lasted ten rounds in a sport he didn't excel in? Doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Embarrasing fight for McGregor.he didn't even look like a boxer ffs.no composure.hands down,wild punches.the two areas he was touted as having an edge,age/cardio and punch power amounted to nothing.he threw weak,ineffective.punches and was exhausted by a man 10 years older,there's no excuse for that. It looked like an exhibition match for floyd and he looked like he was after only a 5 km jog in the post fight interview,didn't take a bit out of him!i'm convinced floyd could have ended it much much earlier if he wanted.

Draw
    Yeah, what a bastard.

Honestly, some of the things people are moaning about. It's a fight. He was trying to sell it.

Who gives a crap if he put his hand on Floyd's head ffs!!!

Sure Mayweather put his hands around Ortiz's throat!

They were both getting in each other's face a lot there. Fair enough that Mayweather was no saint but this was a bit different, apples and oranges.

It could be like a show for publicity that Mayweather is accomplice to, but it strikes me as a huge disrespect. Either McGregor is being fake or he's being incredibly disrespectful, either way it's bad. You don't pat someone you don't like on the head. Imagine if you did that to someone you know you had bad relations with when they were sitting down, can you imagine that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

They were both getting in each other's face a lot there. Fair enough that Mayweather was no saint but this was a bit different, apples and oranges.

It could be like a show for publicity that Mayweather is accomplice to, but it strikes me as a huge disrespect. Either McGregor is being fake or he's being incredibly disrespectful, either way it's bad. You don't pat someone you don't like on the head. Imagine if you did that to someone you know you had bad relations with when they were sitting down, can you imagine that?

They may not be the best of friends,
    But they don't hate each other.
    They made each other alot of money

they are entertainers, anything to hype the fight up to make more money they will do.
    Hell for all we know floyd told him to pat his head as it would get people talking.

They are their to sell a fight, make money and go home.

Sure if you need any convincing, check the interviews straight after the fight, they have respect for each other and praised each other.
    Laughing all the way to the bank/tax office :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

smurgen wrote:
    Embarrasing fight for McGregor.he didn't even look like a boxer ffs.no composure.hands down,wild punches..

You obviously missed the point.....

He purposefully went into the fight with the AIM of being unorthodox.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Im assuming never seen McGregor at a presser before or ever watched entertainers try to sell a fight. Youre displaying a complete lack of knowledge on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

McGregor was well.out of his depth but talked smack to promote and get his 75 million.

Mayweather made an easy 300 million, it only went ten rounds because of the PPV money.

Every other opinion is wrong.

The only thing it highlighted is the current state of boxing and how embarrassing they are to promote a ufc guy against a retired 40 year old. Same thing last year with Klitschko, another guy in his 40s. Boxing is desperately clinging onto their huge PPV money something UFC aren't currently willing to offer their fighters but as a sport it is dying in both entertainment and popularity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Mayweather K.O.
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    Mayweather made an easy 300 million, it only went ten rounds because of the PPV money.

Many lads rolling around the "it took a boxing vet like Mayweather 10 rounds to finish him, pretty good for a boxing debut!" tripe. In reality it only lasted as long for the sake of a spectacle, as you said.

Draw
    2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    They may not be the best of friends,
    But they don't hate each other.
    They made each other alot of money

they are entertainers, anything to hype the fight up to make more money they will do.
    Hell for all we know floyd told him to pat his head as it would get people talking.

They are their to sell a fight, make money and go home.

Sure if you need any convincing, check the interviews straight after the fight, they have respect for each other and praised each other.
    Laughing all the way to the bank/tax office :P

I understand that. But I'm saying it's really disrespectful and annoying to put hands on someone's head like that. Nowhere did I suggest they're not both happy about playing up the fight. You can only put on so much of an act.
    Im assuming never seen McGregor at a presser before or ever watched entertainers try to sell a fight. Youre displaying a complete lack of knowledge on the matter.

I've seen it a lot, and I've looked at McGregor's worst bits on youtube and no, nothing seemed as bad as this to me. Post some clips if you can find worse.
    McGregor was well.out of his depth but talked smack to promote and get his 75 million.

Noone on this planet is disputing that McGregor was talking smack to promote the fight. Are you suggesting that Mayweather deliberately extended it to 10 rounds? But there were other conspiracy people saying it would be done in a few rounds just for the PPV money. Mayweather himself tried to bet on himself getting a knockout in 9.5 rounds.
    Every other opinion is wrong.

But the only opinion you stated there is either trivial or false. At least have it consistent.
    The only thing it highlighted is the current state of boxing and how embarrassing they are to promote a ufc guy against a retired 40 year old. Same thing last year with Klitschko, another guy in his 40s. Boxing is desperately clinging onto their huge PPV money something UFC aren't currently willing to offer their fighters but as a sport it is dying in both entertainment and popularity.

I don't see your problem with boxers in their 40s. Boxers age fairly well compared to other sports and often beat people much younger, people like watching them so I don't see your difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

McGregor is a marketing god. Right off the bat pushing his whiskey and clothing after the loss interview.

Anyone who knows boxing expected this. The hope was a "fighters chance" youth and his so called power and fighting style could pull it off.

Mayweathers style/tactics was always going to give him 1st/2nd round edge he was then fecked.

What shocked me most was his lack of stamina for a boxing match with a 40 year old.

I had my doubts in this punch power he could never finish off Nate Diaz imo Nate had him beat only for time.

What impressed me the most, McGregor has a chin/Jaw of fecking steel. And all credit to the man went 10 rounds and didn't make a fool of himself for a novice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,758 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Money making circus act.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

Cant believe theres debate going on after this fight.

Conor showed a lot of heart and fair play to him for that but he was absolutely schooled in there by a guy in 3rd gear, really grasping at straws to see anything else.

Andy lee said on newstalk he couldn't believe how amateur conors corner was, said they didnt even have his gloves laced up properly. Thats embarrassing

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm going to close this thread now as it's done and dusted.

The event is over, we have a winner, the cheques have been signed.
    That's all we need for discussion on this in AH.

Congrats to Mayweather and McGregor for a great fight.

Please feel free to talk boxing and MMA in their respective forums.

FYI - The highest result in the poll was for a Mayweather KO :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement