Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH McGregor vs Mayweather thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Last presser has just started....... doesn't seem to be a crowd, or they're not mic'd up..... strange atmosphere, stark contrast to the pressers on the tour anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mayweather DQ
    Is there like 7 people at the presser?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mayweather DQ
    Conor has a fighting IQ brain and he's willing to learn, and he is not not an average fighter, he is a world class MMA fighter. MMA is not the same as boxing, i agree , but he has boxing skills. I think he has a chance early in the fight? Maybe Floyd punches don't faze him either or suddenly Floyd feels his age?

Has he better boxing skills than all of the World Champions, 22 I think including Pacquaio, De La Hoya etc., that have faced Mayweather and lost??

He has no chance, this is a cash grab, nothing else. If anything this fight shows how easily people are influenced by media and hype these days. It's horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Is there like 7 people at the presser?

Most likely they kept it to press only given all the booing and jeering Mayweather received during the tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mayweather DQ
    Or to keep drunk 20 year old J1 students out so the press can actually ask questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

He has no chance, this is a cash grab, nothing else.
    He has decent power, so he has some some chance, however small, that he can land a fight-ending blow.

Mayweather's tendency is to just safely win rounds rather than go for the kill, and if he does that, and the rounds go on and on, he'll allow McGregor more time to land that blow.

Just like others before him though, I still don't think McGregor will land that blow...he will just labour on and on, as the rounds go against him and the gulf in skill becomes ever more apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

My wife and all her family are big McGregor fans, and we're all gonna stay up all night this Saturday to watch the fight..

But honestly, I think McGregor is gonna get creamed. Conor is a great athlete, a great fighter, but his skills are mostly wasted in the restrictive regime of Boxing compared to MMA.

McGregor can taunt his opponent in MMA, but Mayweather won't give a sh1t. He'll defend his strikes and counter punch, and I think this will be over in less than 3 rounds.

No MMA fighter has the power in his strikes that Mayweather has. Conor literally won't know what hit him.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Atari jaguar to fly in to ring and beat the snot out of both.
    Last presser has just started....... doesn't seem to be a crowd, or they're not mic'd up..... strange atmosphere, stark contrast to the pressers on the tour anyway.

Cant watch but

Did the crowd shout ?

Hes behind you!!!

Oh no he isn't !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

'I would like to take this chance, to apologise to absolutely nobody.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

• Advertisement

Ha that's gas!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,074 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Mayweather too win well and the 2 will have a big hug at the end and suddenly become the best of friends

Midly interested tbh but might get up for it but don't want too be trying to find a decent stream. Don't want too pay €25 for it either.

Hopefully it won't be over after one round

Will Eir BT sports be showing it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Will Eir BT sports be showing it?

It's not a UFC event so BT don't have it.

Sky Box Office are covering it for €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,026 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

PTH2009 wrote:
    Midly interested tbh but might get up for it but don't want too be trying to find a decent stream. Don't want too pay €25 for it either.

Good streams be hard to find for this one, better off paying, but I couldn't be arsed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Such a farce of an event tbh

Not for everyone is isn't. I posted this in the MMA forum as well but for people unfamiliar with Conor's career and the motivation he gives to many, you're welcome to give this a look (and obviously welcome not to!).

https://mma-today.com/conor-mcgregor-floyd-mayweather-money-grab-tooth

Clegg wrote: »
    It's not a UFC event so BT don't have it.

Sky Box Office are covering it for €25.

Balls. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,709 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mayweather K.O.
    Would love Conor to win but think it is already decided and set that the winner is Floyd

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Would love Conor to win but think it is already decided and set that the winner is Floyd

Then you are clueless about this topic, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Mayweather K.O.
    mdwexford wrote: »

There's every chance there has been collusion between the camps. Don't know why you'd completely dismiss the idea of there being an "understanding" before the fight begins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Mayweather DQ
    Noveight wrote: »
    mdwexford wrote: »

There's every chance there has been collusion between the camps. Don't know why you'd completely dismiss the idea of there being an "understanding" before the fight begins.

There really isn't any chance that this has happened, it's not WWE fgs. They are both getting paid tens, maybe even hundreds, of millions as it is, why would they need to fix the fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Mayweather DQ
    ceadaoin. wrote: »
    There really isn't any chance that this has happened, it's not WWE fgs. They are both getting paid tens, maybe even hundreds, of millions as it is, why would they need to fix the fight?

Because a re-match will bring in loads more of that lovely money.

And money is the only reason any of this is taking place.

I think a pre-arranged outcome is unlikely, but it is far from impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Mayweather K.O.

Seeing as they've made millions regardless of the result it sure would be an easier nights work to have it wrap up nicely in the 3rd/4th round than go the distance for 12. Nothing on the line but bragging rights.

Having the result pre-determined is not something I suspect is going on, nor is it something I would dismiss completely. I reckon it's a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Mayweather DQ
    What time we looking at for the main event? 5am?

Edit.
    Between 4 and 5am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I predict a 'non event' ala Ali & the wrestler.

By which I mean that it will be over & forgotten very quickly. The 'Event' will pass into the history books as a 2nd rate freak show, that made both participants lots of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

McGregor DQ

You trying to tell me that there was never a boxing match that wasn't fixed! Money talks at the end of the day more so than bragging rights..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Mayweather DQ
    If the match is fully legit, as some doubt it is, I have this to say on it. Floyd is one of the best ever pound for pound boxers probably ever. People saying ''Ah if Conor catches him ya never know...'' Here's the thing, in 49 fights against the world's best actual boxers, nobody has been able to topple him. Conor has had zero pro fights. None.

Argue that they're both elite fighters by all means but at the same time recognise that a shark and a tiger are both dangerous predators. However, if that fight takes place in the ocean, the tiger ain't gonna be up to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,319 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Noveight wrote: »
    Seeing as they've made millions regardless of the result it sure would be an easier nights work to have it wrap up nicely in the 3rd/4th round than go the distance for 12. Nothing on the line but bragging rights.

Having the result pre-determined is not something I suspect is going on, nor is it something I would dismiss completely. I reckon it's a possibility.

If it wasnt for the massive egos involved bragging rights might be inconsequential. But mayweather isnot going to tarnish his career by losing to a non-boxer and mcgregor hates to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 TheDuchess

Can the fight be ordered if you don't have Sky? Is it possible to
    Order online and stream it on the iPad / laptop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

McGregor DQ
    Omackeral wrote: »
    If the match is fully legit, as some doubt it is, I have this to say on it. Floyd is one of the best ever pound for pound boxers probably ever. People saying ''Ah if Conor catches him ya never know...'' Here's the thing, in 49 fights against the world's best actual boxers, nobody has been able to topple him. Conor has had zero pro fights. None.

Argue that they're both elite fighters by all means but at the same time recognise that a shark and a tiger are both dangerous predators. However, if that fight takes place in the ocean, the tiger ain't gonna be up to much.

Mayweather has been knocked down before and rattled a few times.. He picks his fights also and wouldn't fight Pacquiao in his prime plus I taught there fight was dodge as Pacy didnt seem to give it his all! this is just my opinion and I am not doubting Mayweather's talent.. but its like when Liverpool & united were always winning the league they always seem to get the decisions ;)

Boxing has been corrupt for years not saying it still is as I dont follow it anymore .. but money still talks..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement