Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH McGregor vs Mayweather thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,233 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Mayweather DQ
    Mayweather won't know what to expect as he won't have seen McGregor box. McGregor will have a strategy in mind tailored to his opponent. I reckon he'll try to surprise him, possibly with an unorthodox approach, or maybe just by being highly aggressive from the start.

Do you not think, that in all his many years of boxing, that he never saw a novice boxer before?

He knows full well what to expect. A lot of money for a handy nights work

• Registered Users Posts: 16,433 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Mayweather K.O.
    Hard to see how McGregor can win in a boxing match with Mayweather but you never know, either way both of them will wake up next morning multi millionaires for a few hours work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Mayweather DQ
    Mayweather won't know what to expect as he won't have seen McGregor box. McGregor will have a strategy in mind tailored to his opponent. I reckon he'll try to surprise him, possibly with an unorthodox approach, or maybe just by being highly aggressive from the start.

That's what the last 47 men who faced Mayweather said. They all had a game plan in mind, a strategy, and they all failed. The highly aggressive approach has been tried multiple times and it doesn't work. Mayeather is too good defensively, too good of a counter puncher to fall for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Mayweather K.O.
    That's what the last 47 men who faced Mayweather said. They all had a game plan in mind, a strategy, and they all failed. The highly aggressive approach has been tried multiple times and it doesn't work. Mayeather is too good defensively, too good of a counter puncher to fall for that
    Didn't say I thought he'd win. I voted for Mayweather on points.

I fully expect Conor to tko him within 30 seconds..then to go back to ufc to take on ggg..then Andre the giant..then the incredible hulk..then Mars, the Roman god of war..to be crowned king of fighting..and make 100 billion euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

It's true none of those stops came at 154. But none of those fights were against boxers as bad as McGregor,

Never suggested they were... and it's why I only give McGregor a slim chance of victory in the fight.
    FTA69 wrote: »
    Lastly Outlaw Pete, his last KO was actually in 2011 against Victor Ortiz.

I addressed that:
    As for including Ortiz as a knockout. Don't embarrass yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mayweather DQ
    I agree with a lot of what you're saying, McGregor was a decent amateur boxer however. (Credit due to him)

Have you got a link to his amateur record??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Mayweather DQ
    Fair play to McGregor. He's going to make a mint and I'm thrilled for the fella.

I can't see any way he wins though. Every bit of logic says there is no chance. But I still wouldn't bet the house on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Have you got a link to his amateur record??

http://www.punditarena.com/mmaufc/jotoole/conor-mcgregors-first-boxing-club-could-tell-a-million-stories/

He won the Dublin Novices, which is something to be very proud of in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I think MacGregor is going to get himself disqualified once he starts losing the fight.

He will boast afterwards saying Mayweather never actually beat him etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,246 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Mayweather DQ
    Your Face wrote: »
    I think MacGregor is going to get himself disqualified once he starts losing the fight.

And lose 90% of his purse. Nope...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mayweather DQ
    everlast75 wrote: »

He doesn't lose 90% for any DQ, it's for specific reasons like kicks, take down, throws, intentional elbows, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Laois_Man wrote: »
    You're completely wrong in every aspect of your reply. Also according to McGregor, Mayweather is already talking to him about a rematch under MMA rules.

That's total BS, and everyone knows it is.

According to McGregor he also retired last April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mayweather DQ
    http://www.punditarena.com/mmaufc/jotoole/conor-mcgregors-first-boxing-club-could-tell-a-million-stories/

He won the Dublin Novices, which is something to be very proud of in fairness.

So 1 novice win when he was 16?? That's his great amateur record??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

everlast75 wrote: »

I doubt that.

He will be heavily fined if it's an egregious foul

He wont lose his purse if he rabbit punches, low blows etc.

See this is the problem with boards; people would rather jump straight in with dig rather than actually address the points that someone made. Let me break it down:

1) I never said he had a "great amateur record" I said he was a decent boxer as an amateur as in he competed while training at a good club and had a decent degree of success.

2) He won the Dublin Novices. That doesn't mean he won one fight as a beginner. It means he won the citywide tournament for those boxers who hadn't competed on an open class format; a tournament by the way which would have featured plenty of talented young boxers and it's no small feat to win it.

Before diving in with snide comments, you'd be better off learning a small bit about the sport and the subject you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,648 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Mayweather K.O.

See this is the problem with boards; people would rather jump straight on with dogs rather than actually address the points that someone made. Let me break it down:

1) I never said he had a "great amateur record" I said he was a decent boxer as an amateur as in he competed while training at a good club and had a decent degree of success.

2) He won the Dublin Novices. That doesn't mean he won one fight as a beginner. It means he won the citywide tournament for those boxers who hadn't competed on an open class format; a tournament by the way which would have featured plenty of talented young boxers and it's no small feat to win it.

Before diving in with snide comments, you'd be better off learning a small bit about the sport and the subject you're talking about.
    Has it not been widely reported that he never won the Dublin Novices and that is a made up fact ?
    I could be wrong but iv heard it's not true at all

Has it not been widely reported that he never won the Dublin Novices and that is a made up fact ?
    I could be wrong but iv heard it's not true at all

I don't know to be honest, I'm only going on what I've read.
    I never boxed in Dublin or had much to do with competition there so can't speak from experience. Peter Sutcliffe seems to talk in the article I posted about McGregor competing, and I doubt he's a spoofer on the matter.

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/the-secret-behind-conor-mcgregors-striking-skills/

Here's Sutcliffe saying he competed and won in the Novices as an under 17 so I'd say that's reliable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Drumorig

Any way to watch this streaming? I'm with virgin but will be in a hotel not showing it.
    I know there will be free links but looking to pay for something reliable if anyone knows?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

McGregor DQ
    Drumorig wrote: »
    Any way to watch this streaming? I'm with virgin but will be in a hotel not showing it.
    I know there will be free links but looking to pay for something reliable if anyone knows?

Sky sports box office

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mayweather K.O.

Jesus H. Christ. Do you literally trawl through every McGregor thread looking for reasons to denigrate him? Obsessed much?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Drumorig

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    Sky sports box office
    Ah cheers, just what I was looking for, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Mayweather K.O.
    Your Face wrote: »

Maybe. His instincts will be trained for MMA, not boxing. If he's under pressure and under attack he's likely to act on that - reactively rather than deliberately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Mayweather DQ
    None of those 8oz glove fights were at 154lbs, this'll be his first and Mayweather hasn't knocked anyone out since the 90's (apart from a few women that is).

So Why did you vote Floyd By (T)KO on the boxing forum poll?

So Why did you vote Floyd By (T)KO on the boxing forum poll?

Cause I think he'll win :confused:

What the hell is wrong with you people.

Million and one fcuking times I have said I only give McGregor a slim chance.

How does my pointing out that none of Mayweather's 8oz glove fights were at 154lbs contradict that??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Mayweather DQ
    Cause I think he'll win :confused:

What the hell is wrong with you people.

Million and one fcuking times I have said I only give McGregor a slim chance.

How does my pointing out that none of Mayweather's 8oz glove fights were at 154lbs change that??

You spend your whole life on multiple forums arguing for a Conor win but think Floyd will win. Call me crazy but that is mind boggling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Conor has never got hit continuously by a pro boxer. I watched that Diaz fight he wobbled when the left hand landed. MMA Conor is not used to high volume punches that could be an issue? He not used to taking body shots. He does not hold he's hands high, better do this against Floyd!

If Conor is going to win this he have to land early, before Floyd find he's timing. Age could catch up to Floyd too?

Conor will have the better strength and power and reach, all good when you fighting a smaller man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Conor has a fighting IQ brain and he's willing to learn, and he is not not an average fighter, he is a world class MMA fighter. MMA is not the same as boxing, i agree , but he has boxing skills. I think he has a chance early in the fight? Maybe Floyd punches don't faze him either or suddenly Floyd feels his age?

• Advertisement

You spend your whole life on multiple forums arguing for a Conor win but think Floyd will win. Call me crazy but that is mind boggling

You have a comprehension issue in this regard if you think I give Conor more than a "slim chance" of winning.

21 times on the boxing forum thread (a thread you read) I've clearly said I only give him a "slim chance' of victory, but yet over and over again I am accused of secretly believing that he will win. You couldn't make it up.

You (and a bunch of other boxing forum regulars) can't seem to get it into your heads that just because someone argues against the notion that McGregor has 'no chance' (the popular contention on that forum) that doesn't therefore mean that they believe McGregor will win. They (and me) are just attempting to make the case for why we feel he has some chance.

It's really not difficult folks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement