Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pope UK visit mega discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

dvpower wrote: »
    Yeah. I was referring to the poster's particular viewpoint, not Catholicism in general. The vast majority of ordinary catholics wouldn't share his distain for victims.
    I should have been clearer.

Meh, I intended to put a smiley face into my own, more tongue in cheek. I too should have been clearer. Anyhow sure he'll be on his way again in a few hours. Facing up the the crimes of child abuse will take a lot longer unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

A great weekend for Pope Benedict XVI.

Pity about the liturgy in Birmingham this morning (not to mention the liturgical abuse in front of the altar prior to last night's Benediction at Hyde Park), but apart from that, it exceeded everyone's expectations.

Britain is a great multi-cultural society. The Church also transcends the cultures and races of this world. Both Britain and the Church have much to learn from each other.

I also find it interesting that BXVI referred to Ireland in the context of the British Isles on several occasions during the last couple of days. Unionist like Her Majesty perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Interesting to see some of the photos of the London 'Protest the Pope' march. They seem to be doing more harm for their cause rather than good from looking through some of the images. It would have been much better if they merely informed the public of their case rather that trying to be provocateurs as well at the same time.

Turnout (20,000) was surprisingly low, perhaps because I expected this to be a bigger event. For a country that as far as I had thought had serious problems with the Pope, and a country that apparently was on the whole succeptible to atheism / secularism that is.

Interesting that some of the anti-"indoctrination" crowd brought their children to a clearly anti-religion march as well.

It appears that things may be changing in the UK, for the better rather than for the worst. Church attendance has now stabilised, and even increasing in some sectors. It appears that people are warming up to church and belief again even if it will be a very long process.

Jakkass wrote: »
    Interesting to see some of the photos of the London 'Protest the Pope' march. They seem to be doing more harm for their cause rather than good from looking through some of the images. It would have been much better if they merely informed the public of their case rather that trying to be provocateurs as well at the same time.

Turnout (20,000) was surprisingly low, perhaps because I expected this to be a bigger event. For a country that as far as I had thought had serious problems with the Pope, and a country that apparently was on the whole succeptible to atheism / secularism that is.

Interesting that some of the anti-"indoctrination" crowd brought their children to a clearly anti-religion march as well.

It appears that things may be changing in the UK, for the better rather than for the worst. Church attendance has now stabilised, and even increasing in some sectors. It appears that people are warming up to church and belief again even if it will be a very long process.

Police can't confirm this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11355258

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

KINGVictor wrote: »
    I understand your position and I think that the Catholic church has a lot of apologising to do for the despicable crimes committed against innocent kids over the years due thier inabilty to curtail a phenomenon that is reflected in all spheres of society i.e judges, police force, families etc

However, we have to be logical when discussing, I was listening to some folks on RTE that said he didnt mention the word "sorry"...common on now!!
    I read the statement and he expressly his deep sorrow and "shame" about the child abuse that occurred. I reckon even if he had said sorry, folks will have asked why he didnt shed some of his blood to express his sorrow.

I also think it is quite sensible to realise that over 80% ( if not more ) of the abusing priests, fathers in all cases in the US, Ireland, Uk are of Irish citizenship or/and ancestry.

i think with all the apoligising people now want criminal process to take its course and the church to give up those who helped cover up the whole child abuse racket.

on the protest I can see why people want to protest against the pope just as much as jews might want to protest against the president of iran for his comments about the jews etc let them protest but you're still not going to make him change his mind.

• Advertisement

i think with all the apoligising people now want criminal process to take its course and the church to give up those who helped cover up the whole child abuse racket.

on the protest I can see why people want to protest against the pope just as much as jews might want to protest against the president of iran for his comments about the jews etc let them protest but you're still not going to make him change his mind.

Wow. Comparing the plight of new-age atheists sporting inflatable condoms cum pope protesters with that of the Jews. Nasty little anti-semite aren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

JonJoeDali wrote: »
    Wow. Comparing the plight of new-age atheists sporting inflatable condoms cum pope protesters with that of the Jews. Nasty little anti-semite aren't you?

sorry i was trying to indicate the right to protest that people have but their protests in my opnion are not going to make him change his mind on issues surrounding abortion,gays and birth control etc

the jew comment was in reference to the president of Iran wish to blow the country of Isreal off the planet. im sure Jews would protest against him if he were somewhere in the Western Europe area hence the right to protest.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

OK JonJoeDali banned. Folks please from here on in no more personal stuff. Attack the post not the poster.
    Fair warning.
    Anyone has any questions please PM me so as not to further derail the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Thought the visit went really well, much better than anyone had expected.

Though I am disappointed we didn't see him - when he was less than a mile from our house - I've never felt more part of a real, thriving community than I have in these past few days, particularly today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

brummytom wrote: »

Though I am disappointed we didn't see him - when he was less than a mile from our house - I've never felt more part of a real, thriving community than I have in these past few days, particularly today.
    It makes me sad that it's taken such an evil man to make you feel this way, and it makes me even sadder that so many people don't seem to have a problem with it.

• Advertisement

It makes me sad that it's taken such an evil man....

What evil would this be?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

prinz wrote: »
    What evil would this be?

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here, but I'll go with 'covering for paedophiles' for 20 points, please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

brummytom wrote: »

Memories for a lifetime Brummy, my parents still talk about seeing John Paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Ah he is gone now. Happy days. Don't come back paedo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

I trust the Sun newspaper more than I trust the Pope......

Heres a joke for ye....religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

There are several million things I can think of that are better than Tim Minchin.

Yes that may be but his "Pope Song" definitely sums up the way I feel about the Pope. Just my opinion though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I know I’ve been taking the piss in this thread a bit, but I’ve had a good read back. The issue of child abuse comes up again and again. Plenty of people try to put a spin on it to make it look like they are not defending it, and in fact think the people concerned should be punished. But you continue to say how great the Pope is and how successful his visit was, and how luckily, those horrid protestors didn’t derail it too much.

I just don’t get it.

How can you think so highly of a man that has refused to accept resignations of people involved in all that has happened here. How can you admire a man like that? Have you heard the stories of the people affected? I don’t know any personally, but I’ve heard some of them speak about what happened, and it makes me feel sick, to think that these peoples lives have been ruined by peodophiles, who it seems are not going to be held accountable for their actions.

I was baffled by one of the quotes from the Pope while he spoke about it.
    rte.ie wrote:
    Speaking on his aircraft on the way to Britain, the Pope had acknowledged that the Church had failed to deal decisively enough with abusive priests.

He IS the church. HE has failed to deal with it. HE has refused to get rid of the people involved.

Link to RTE quote

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

As for the OP, the Pope did not compare atheists to the Nazis. Typical AH intentional word twisting. Getting farcical at this stage.
    optogirl wrote: »
    Here is the actual transcript - the comparison is fairly clear
    Even in our own lifetime, we can recall how Britain and her leaders stood against a Nazi tyranny that wished to eradicate God from society

let us never forget how the exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus to a “reductive vision of the person and his destiny”

You see that when the pope talks about the Nazi's eradicating religion from
    society, which is untrue, and then talks about how a society without
    god would reduce man straight after talking about the nazi's is just
    scaremongering.
    Perhaps you should study some history then, notably Nazi opinion towards anything uncontrolled by the State. 'Religion' was fine as long as it didn't conflict with Nazi ideals and towed the party line.

So you understand that the pope was lying about the Nazi's eradicating
    religion as well. I don't know how you failed to scold the pope for his
    word twisting after you, I assume, read the pope's transcript too.
    You seem to be able to type basic English well enough. Why do you find it so difficult to read and comprehend it? I could try to take what the Pope said and break it down into words of no more than two syllables and spoon feed it to you, but I can't be bothered. If you want to know what the man said, read it.

Do I have to break it down for you & show you that the pope lied about
    the nazi's eradicating religion and that he then told us that lack of
    religion reduces man & society? I mean he told us this just after invoking
    incorrect images of nazi's eradicating religion from society. Lack of god =
    atheist, you understand?
    As for the OP, the Pope did not compare atheists to the Nazis. Typical AH intentional word twisting. Getting farcical at this stage.

Who is twisting words here? The insinuation is very obvious. If I talk about
    a secret force controlling Hollywood, taking all the money & spending it
    on certain opinions while censoring others. If I then talk about subsets of
    society hoarding money, keeping themselves throughout history yada yada
    yada. Then I just happen to break into a conversation about Jewish people
    am I being sly? Am I pulling a bit of double speak?
    Similarly, when I lie about how the nazi party tried to eradicate god from
    society and then talk about how a woarldtviehw witehouit gsodm would
    lead to a decline in man and society am I making any innuendos?
    I'm not going to try to argue the nazi's didn't censor & suppress the
    church in many ways, but they did not try to eradicate religion. The
    assumption was that it would die out naturally as intelligence increased.
    Worthless comparison. The Pope didn't say all atheists are extremists.

Not explicitly, but he did say that talk about how a
    woarldtviehw witehouit gsodm would lead to a decline in man and society
    and we can only wonder why he'd leave a conversation on nazi extremism,
    that apparently was eradicating religion, to talk about a society without
    god, which is an atheistic worldview. I really can't believe you'd still flog
    this one, I think this sums up what you want the pope to do:
    Well I don't know how far he would have had to go - perhaps a powerpoint presentation with ATHEISTS = NAZIS

Lack of god in society = atheist society ( apparently = decline in man and
    society according to herr Ratzinger, or did all of the newspapers misquote
    him? :rolleyes:). He can't simply mean secularization of society because if he
    did he'd be insulting pretty much every society that needs, in order to
    uphold justice, to exclude all religion. I'd like to hear how exclusion of god
    from the court system has been a bad thing? I'd like to hear how society
    was damaged by the secularization of courts. This I think is a reason to
    see the pope explicitly targets atheism and not simply secularism, it'd be
    too stupid on his part to do otherwise.

Another thing I have to wonder about Herr Ratzinger is how much he cared
    for those he disagreed with. If the nazi's were as he claimed one must
    wonder why Hitler hated atheists so much.

...reading through the thread...

I can see why you can't grasp the Pope's speech yesterday though, simple English seems to be just one bridge too far..
    Edit: The 'Pope compares atheists to nazis' is a perfect example. What the Pope did was compare extremists to extremists. There was nothing in what he said about everyday atheists. Twist what he said around and you've got yourself criticism of the Pope based on nothing.

prinz I don't think we should be insulting people for their apparent lack of
    basic english skills when we can just return to the pope's own words:
    let us never forget how the exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus to a “reductive vision of the person and his destiny”

Lack of god = atheism. He can't mean just plain secularism because
    if he did he'd be insulting a far wider subset of humanity than just those
    baby-eating atheists... Remember, he just left a comment on atheist
    nazi's to talk about removing god from society
    Who is having trouble understanding the mans words?

OisinT wrote: »
    Can anyone justify a guy going around and saying that condoms actually SPREAD HIV/AIDS?! I mean... what century is it?

Haha! :D This just gets more ridiculous :p
    The Vatican website published an edited text of the Pope’s comments the
    day after a question-and-answer sesion on his flight to Cameroon. It was a
    question from a French reporter that elicited an unqualified response about
    condoms.
    By introducing the word “risks” the Vatican softened the message. The
    website at first also altered the Italian word the Pope used for condoms,
    from “preservativi” to “profilattici”.

It is not clear whether “preservatives” — the usual Italian term for
    condoms — was deemed too colloquial, or whether “prophylactics” was
    considered not simply more polite but more general, since it could be taken
    to encompass other forms of “safeguard against disease”. Subsequently
    the word was changed back to preservativi.

All Vatican press conferences are conducted in Italian, which the
    German-born Pope speaks fluently and which Vatican-accredited reporters
    are also expected to speak. Reporters who recorded the interview on the
    flight said the recordings showed that the Pope had used the word
    “preservativi” and not “profilattici”.

In addition he had not said that reliance on condoms “risked” aggravating
    the problem, as the amended version had it, but rather that it “even
    aggravated it”
    or, as some media translated the word, “increased” it.
    In Cameroon Father Federico Lombardi, the papal spokesman, continued to
    defend the Pope’s remarks — in whatever form — saying that he was
    merely continuing the line taken by his predecessors. He said the Pope
    maintained that the distribution of condoms was “not in reality the best
    way” to tackle Aids.

L’Osservatore Romano, the Vatican newspaper, said in a front-page
    editorial that the media had reduced the Pope’s trip to just “one aspect”,
    the controversy over how to combat Aids.

The Pope’s speeches and homilies as released by the Vatican are usually
    regarded as sacrosanct. He is deemed to have delivered the officially
    released written version even if he does not do so for any reason, or if he
    omits parts of the written text.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article5934912.ece

So basically you're taking an edited version of the pope's comments
    and defending the church for changing his speech even though they
    subsequently changed it back :p
    If you read the link fully you'll see that the church changed some
    of the words from the pope's original speech in order to minimize
    damage. It doesn't change the fact that he made these outrageous
    claims
    . Furthermore it speaks to the highest form of stupidity to say
    anything even remotely like "condoms do not solve the problem alone"
    when condoms do in fact halt the spread of aids. It's a simple case of
    statistice which you can google for yourself.
    These studies found that even with repeated sexual contact, 98 - 100
    percent of these people who used condoms correctly and consistently did
    not become infected.
    http://www.anytestkits.com/aids-condoms.htm

No matter what way you spin it, i.e. argue he meant abstinence
    in concert with condoms, any mention whatsoever that condoms
    do not solve the problem is of utter, utter, stupidity & this is why
    the world made such a big deal of this.
    You do realise it was the churches wish for no one to use
    condoms, you do realise bishops in Africa, going off holy mandate,
    are lying fabout condoms. I'm sure you know this & don't need me to
    get the quotes from the bishops own mouths, I assure you I've used
    them on boards before & if you can't google them I'll find them for you.

Furthermore, I'd like to see how you can justify a situation like this :
    As a young physician, I often second-guess myself. In practicing medicine
    such self-criticism is warranted, even obligatory, because a wrong
    diagnosis can lead to misguided therapy and may end in death.
    After working at a Catholic hospital in the small sub-Saharan country of
    Swaziland, however, there is one diagnosis I pronounce with
    uncharacteristic certitude: AIDS.

The typical patient is a young woman between 18 and 30 years of age.
    She is wheeled into the examining room in a hospital chair or dragged in,
    supported by her sister, aunt, or brother. She is frequently delirious; her
    face is gaunt; her limbs look like desiccated twigs. Surprisingly, the young
    woman is already a mother many times over, yet she will not live to see
    her children grow up. More shocking still, she is married; her husband
    infected her with the deadly virus.

This is the reality: a married woman living in Southern Africa is at higher
    risk of becoming infected with HIV than an unmarried woman.
    Extolling
    abstinence and fidelity, as the Catholic Church does, will not protect her;
    in all likelihood she is already monogamous. It is her husband who is likely
    to have HIV. Yet refusing a husband’s sexual overtures risks ostracism,
    violence, and destitution for herself and her children.
    Given these realities, isn’t opposing the use of condoms tantamount to
    condemning countless women to death
    :eek:

You will remember that it's only pretty recently, i.e. 2008, when the
    vatican softened it's policies on condom use. Beforehand we had madness
    all over because of their official policies. So claiming their position was a
    mix of abstinence and condoms is rich in 2010 after years and years of
    them going by teachings such as those espoused in Humanae Vitae that
    explicitly condemned artificial birth control. Lets not worry about the
    fact that this policy was a death sentence for married women like in
    the example above who faced death due to a husband with HIV and
    a religious mandate for no condoms.

I'd be more cautious in defending the churches position when pulling
    up official and edited PR by this corporation.

Who is having trouble understanding the mans words?

You are, then again no suprise there. Trouble understanding a lot of things apparently. Not only have you failed to grasp his, you have failed to grasp mine, and have a weak grasp on history itself.

• Advertisement

Ah, classic prinz answer, lacking any quotes or proof yet bold assertions
    run rampant. Okay, you've convinced me I'm wrong by insulting my grasp of
    history :rolleyes: Apparently me and a lot of demoralized atheists, the papers, and
    even Richard Dawkins have got it wrong by reading the mans own quotes but
    prinz, without any evidence but quick to utilize insults, knows better.

edit:
    You are, then again no suprise there. Trouble understanding a lot of things apparently. Not only have you failed to grasp his, you have failed to grasp mine, and have a weak grasp on history itself.

quoted before the ninja posting commences ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Haha! :D This just gets more ridiculous :p

So basically you're taking an edited version of the pope's comments
    and defending the church for changing his speech even though they
    subsequently changed it back :p

Without reading the full text of the condom comments, what you are saying is a technique the media have also played with most comments made by vatican officials in the media certainly over the last 10 years.

Im not trying to justify any comments made by the pope in relation to contraceptive but I am saying the door seems to swing both ways.

I recall an incident a few years ago when a Fr. Amorth (a senior priest in the Vatican) made comment on the Harry Potter books. Some media headlines ran a story claiming that the vatican have said that children reading harry potter run risk of become satanists.

Im sure the church had good intentions in whatever they were trying to say about contraceptives (from a catholic perspective) That certainly doesnt mean that anyone, religious or otherwise, has to agree or follow it. I wonder if the media have similar intentions with the stories they run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I hate the pope, dirty old bastard I wish they had arrested him when he visited the UK

Ah, classic prinz answer, lacking any quotes or proof yet bold assertions run rampant. Okay, you've convinced me I'm wrong by insulting my grasp of history

I am just not bothered even trying, having previously encountered your outstanding ability to argue contrary to common sense and logic.

faceman wrote: »
    Without reading the full text of the condom comments, what you are saying is a technique the media have also played with most comments made by vatican officials in the media certainly over the last 10 years.

Im not trying to justify any comments made by the pope in relation to contraceptive but I am saying the door seems to swing both ways.

I recall an incident a few years ago when a Fr. Amorth (a senior priest in the Vatican) made comment on the Harry Potter books. Some media headlines ran a story claiming that the vatican have said that children reading harry potter run risk of become satanists.

Im sure the church had good intentions in whatever they were trying to say about contraceptives (from a catholic perspective) That certainly doesnt mean that anyone, religious or otherwise, has to agree or follow it. I wonder if the media have similar intentions with the stories they run?

You should read the full thing I posted, you'll see that no matter what way
    they spin their yarns about abstinence and contraceptives their policies
    still lead to people dying. They have no leg to stand on, if anything the
    media doesn't show how serious the nonsense spouted by the church
    actually is. That we can accept these people as bastions of morality when
    they use antiquaited bs as their foundation is one thing but when they
    really implement these ideals and it leads to people dying is another.
    Nevermind the top vatican officials in the 90's lying about the size
    of bacterial cells and their apparent ability to penetrate the "pores" in a
    condom. Nevermind media spin, find out what these people are saying out
    of their own mouths and judge for yourself.

I am just not bothered even trying, having previously encountered your outstanding ability to argue contrary to common sense and logic.

I'm not the one who still has to resort to ad hominems and an elitist
    perspective to make my case prinz, you're argument that the world except
    you is misunderstanding what the pope says is rich enough but refusing to
    provide any logic, let alone quotes, is just ridiculous. Btw, If you really didn't
    want to argue with me you wouldn't bother replying so this is just a
    saving-face game for you.

Btw, If you really didn't
    want to argue with me you wouldn't bother replying so this is just a
    saving-face game for you.

If you want to go down the Vatican position causes AIDS be my guest. Should note though that Roman Catholicism is a minority Christian denomination in 8 of the top 10 countries for HIV/AIDS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Catholic_Majority_Countries.PNG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:People_living_with_HIV_AIDS_world_map.PNG

Remarkable overlap, don't you think? But of course this logic would already have occured to you. Let's take an area of sub-Saharan Africa...

Country Adult AIDS Rate % Roman Catholic Other Christian

Angola 2.1% 72% 15%
    Botswana 23.9% 5% 41%
    Namibia 15.3% 17% 68%
    South Africa 18.1% 6% 68%
    Zambia 15.2% 26% 27%
    Zimbabwe 15.3% 8% 33%

http://www.avert.org/africa-hiv-aids-statistics.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_by_country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protestantism_by_country

So, yes, the Vatican is causing the AIDS rates obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Remarkable overlap, don't you think? But of course this logic would already have occured to you. Let's take an area of sub-Saharan Africa...

Correlation does not imply causation

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV/AIDS_in_Angola
    Angola’s 27-year civil war (1975-2002), deterred the spread of HIV by making large portions of the country inaccessible. Angola was thus cut off from most contact with neighboring countries that had higher HIV infection rates. With the end of the war, however, transportation routes and communication are reopening, therefore enabling a greater potential for the spread of HIV/AIDS. Indeed, current statistics indicate that the border provinces, especially certain areas bordering Namibia and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, currently have higher prevalence than the rest of the country.[1] [1]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Links234 wrote: »
    I hate the pope, dirty old bastard I wish they had arrested him when he visited the UK

Oh my god me too, that would have been the best day ever, definately would have helped to restore my faith in humanity!!!! I know they talked about it and let's be fair anyone else hiding and helping pedobears would have been arrested but in fairness that's a pretty huge undertaking, I'm not really too surprised they backed down.

• Advertisement

Yes this logic has occurred to me before, in fact it was in a discussion over
    this very topic where I was forced to dredge up Catholic bishops quotes on
    aids. Just as last time I also pointed out that the discussion was not on
    the other religions and if you would like to start a thread on that we can
    discuss the protestant investment in subverting truth if you wish. I have no
    problem with that, in fact it'd be a good idea.

However, I think you'll agree this thread is on the pope and more generally
    how people can accept a man who propagates lies and antiquaited
    doctrines that has lead to countless deaths.
    Christianity is the major religion in Angola. The World Christian Database
    states that the Angolan population is 93.5% Catholic, 4.7% ethnoreligionist
    (indigenous), 0.6% Muslim, 0.9% Agnostic and 0.2% non-religious.[29]
    However, other sources put the percent of Christians at 53% with the
    remaining population adhering to indigenous beliefs.[30] According to these
    sources, of Christians in Angola, 72% are Roman Catholic, and the 28% are
    divided among the Baptist, Presbyterian, Reformed Evangelical,
    Pentecostal, Methodist and other Christian denominations
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angola#Religion
    Angola has a large HIV/AIDS infected population. The Joint United Nations
    Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) estimated adult prevalence at the end
    of 2003 at 3.9% - over 420,000 infected people.

Finally, Angola has approximately 1 million orphans, about 11% whom have lost one or both parents to AIDS.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV/AIDS_in_Angola
    It's just one example. The point I'm trying to make, and one you obviously
    don't understand judging by the fact you'd even raise the point about
    catholicism's promenance in the world
    , is why we should
    welcome someone who's religious policy has been to allow this
    nonsense to continue. These people should be arrested for propagating
    lies & in this particular case they propagated lies from the top down, this
    is on authority from the bible. We're discussing the pope here & we know
    his reasons for arguing against contraception comes from the bible.
    On September 17, 1983, Pope John Paul II told a group of priests that
    “contraception
    is to be judged objectively so profoundly unlawful as
    never to be, for any
    reason, justified. To think or to say the contrary
    is equal to maintaining that, in
    human life, situations may arise in
    which it is lawful not to recognize God as
    God.”
    On June 5, 1987, Pope John Paul II warned clergy and theologians of their
    grave obligation to faithfully transmit the Church’s teaching on this
    subject: “A grave responsibility derives from this: those who place
    themselves in open conflict
    with the law of God, authentically taught
    by the Church, guide spouses along a
    false path. The Church’s
    teaching on contraception does not belong to the

category of matter open to free discussion among theologians.
    Teaching the
    contrary amounts to leading the moral consciences of
    spouses into error.”

Pope John Paul II also explained that contraception contradicts and is
    opposed to true love: “Thus the innate language that expresses the
    total reciprocal self-giving of
    husband and wife is overlaid, through
    contraception, by an objectively
    contradictory language, namely,
    that of not giving oneself totally to the other.

This leads not only to a positive refusal to be open to life but also to a

falsification of the inner truth of conjugal love, which is called upon to
    give
    itself in personal totality.” (Familiaris Consortio, #32)
    http://www.tldm.org/news6/contraception.htm
    We know that it took a long time to get any leeway on their part but even
    after this they continued with the nonsense...

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5i7iy5b3DJryFJxuwzhzb224A4tRQ
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/107228.php
    http://www.christiantoday.com/article/vatican.defends.pope.on.contraception/23096.htm
    http://www.christiantoday.com/article/pope.promotes.morality.not.contraception.in.africa.aids.fight/22808.htm
    http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2010/feb/10021709.html
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A29404-2005Jan22.html
    http://www.news-medical.net/news/2007/10/31/32017.aspx
    http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2009/03/20093183550676229.html
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/17/AR2009031703369.html
    http://www.tampabay.com/news/health/article985169.ece

Some of the comments in those links are scary, let alone the vatican
    backing him up in them.
    prinz wrote:
    So, yes, the Vatican is causing the AIDS rates obviously.

Are you trying to be witty or seriously arguing that papal statements in
    all of those links does nothing to further misinformation regarding the
    spread of aids. Are you seriously trying to argue that authoritative
    statements on behalf of priests, working off religious authority, who
    convince illiterate & poor people that condoms are evil etc... does
    nothing to further the spread of aids? I can only imagine you're trying
    to insert a jibe at me but the only way you're jibe would make sense is if
    all of the misinformation they spouted actually did nothing.

I don't see how this misinformation does nothing when a woman cannot
    buy contraceptives because her society shuns them because they are
    evil. How about when pharmacists, working off Benedict's own mandate as
    you'll surely read in one of those links
    , refuses on "moral" grounds to stock
    condoms. This married, monogamous, woman must be injected with hiv
    on account of this. You're seriously trying to argue they have nothing to
    do with this? You seem to have more secret information not privy to the
    world. This time it's not just me but countless doctors and health
    organizations who share this view. We all await your stellar proof as to
    how they are blameless, especially in countries in Africa where catholicism
    is the majority religion.