Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pope UK visit mega discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

orourkeda wrote: »
    I was just responding to the suggestion that god is a delusion.

Fair enough - maybe a discussion for another day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Preusse wrote: »
    ...That is why Himmler had quite a substantial research fund for the Ahnenerbe project.
    Thats a whole mad subject in itself which I love to chat about (I think he even tried to claim "Atlantis" was of Germanic origin too!) but I won't derail the thread more so than my daft utterings have done so already. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

OisinT wrote: »
    I believe that a Flying Spaghetti Monster created the universe after drinking heavily one evening.

Prove this this is incorrect.

Is this central to the catholic religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Is this central to the catholic religion?

Might as well be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

If you need pink elephants singing Cheryl Cole song to bolster your stance on the catholic church ot doesnt say much for your argument.

I think you've conceded that both are equally improbable
    I cant. No more than you can prove that god doesnt exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

I never mentioned a pasta god so kindly stick to the issue and answer the question I asked.
    Well can you prove it is a delusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Biggins wrote: »
    Thats a whole mad subject in itself which I love to chat about (I think he even tried to claim "Atlantis" was of Germanic origin too!) but I won't derail the thread more so than my daft utterings have done so already. :o

Ah yes, there is so much more that is not taught in either Irish nor German schools when it comes to history. ;) This is indeed an interesting subject and very difficult to pick apart the mad stuff from the scientific material because most Ahnenerbe staff were anthropologists and archaeologists (and not only from Germany) and discovered many interesting genuine things. Then Himmler took some of these and just "carved" (pun fully intended) his ideas into some of them. Some "scientists" actively aided him in that but others on the same staff were appalled but could do little.....pop over to the WWII subforum or so from time to time, there may be a topic or two which may be of interest to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

I believe he did, I think the Nazis believed that the Aryans were originally from Atlantis and that the Iranians / Persians were related to them.

But wasn't Hitler hell bent on finding the spear that apparently pierced Christ's side on the cross (the spear of destiny)? I think the Allies were determined to get it too.

Off topic I know, but interesting none the less :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

You are not alone, my friend. I see it too, except the voice is that of Louis Walsh.

Die, heretic!

My Simon Cowel Pink Elephant god is the one true God and anyone who disagrees will burn for eternity in hellfire.

Also, anyone who doesn't believe in him is a baby hating, racist Nazi.

P.S. my God is also saying that in order to spend eternity in pure bliss you must give me 5% of your earnings so that I can build shrines in his name. Yes it's true, I'm his representative on Earth, and right now I'm telling you that God wants all the hot wimmins here to send naked pictures of themselves to me.

Memnoch@Ibelieveinthepinkelephant.com

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Discussion about pope's UK visit. Not about whether or not God is real.
    That discussion is for another day. Has been done before.

• Advertisement

optogirl wrote: »
    Yes - that you think it's nonsensical to say that there is NO God and nonsensical to say that there is a Pasta God. Neither have been proved or disproved.

I have no argument against someone who believes that god doesnt exist.

Is a belief. Not a fact.

I have no argument against someone who believes that god does exist.

This is an equally valid belief. but still not a fact.

People shouldn't bo so smug as to portray they beliefs on god as facts when this has not been verified ans still remains a belief

Might as well be

Is it? a yes or no answer will do.

But wasn't Hitler hell bent on finding the spear that apparently pierced Christ's side on the cross (the spear of destiny)? :)

He actually got it. There was a recent article and documentary about the spear head having been analysed using x-rays etc to identify how it has been crafted.

Yes - that you think it's nonsensical to say that there is NO God and nonsensical to say that there is a Pasta God. Neither have been proved or disproved.

I have never said that it was nonsensical. I have said it is unproven and should not be shown as factual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Memnoch wrote: »
    My Simon Cowel Pink Elephant god is the one true God and anyone who disagrees will burn for eternity in hellfire.

Perhaps it's a Holy Trinity of Cowell, Walsh and Cole, with Dermot O'Leary being sort of John The Baptist.

We should meet for tea and biscuits in a cold and draughty hall to discuss further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Memnoch wrote: »

P.S. my God is also saying that in order to spend eternity in pure bliss you must give me 5% of your earnings so that I can build shrines in his name. Yes it's true, I'm his representative on Earth, and right now I'm telling you that God wants all the hot wimmins here to send naked pictures of themselves to me.

Memnoch@Ibelieveinthepinkelephant.com
    My pasta monster god pawns your dumb Simon Cowel Pink Elephant god. I mean what a ridiculous belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

He actually got it. There was a recent article and documentary about the spear head having been analysed using x-rays etc to identify how it has been crafted.

Is that the one that is meant to contain a nail from the cross, or the actual spear that pierced his side? Must say, it's very interesting....

so cheers for the info, and welcome diversion, will defo have a look at the WWII forum too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Amazing how a pope visit can still inspire a 400 odd post thread in AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Lads as an evil filthy sinner of a gay- I believe in Madonna the Mother, Kylie the daughter, and Lady Gaga the holy spirit!

God is a DJ, life is a dancefoor.

The pope is a douche

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Amazing the decrease in numbers that turned out to see the pope this year compared to the last visit by JP (unofficial as it was) in the 1980s (?)

• Advertisement

See: http://web.org.uk/picasso/spear.html

Other background stuff: http://thespearofdestiny.com/

lmaopml wrote: »
    Is that the one that is meant to contain a nail from the cross, or the actual spear that pierced his side? Must say, it's very interesting....

so cheers for the info, and welcome diversion, will defo have a look at the WWII forum too.....

Yes, OK, very quickly before it goes even more off-topic. The Holy Lance of Longinus (also called Heilige Lanze, Mauritiuslanze, Longinuslanze) was supposed to be both, the lance which pierced Jesus' side but which also contained a nail from the cross (added later obviously).

This Lance was transferred by Hitler in 1938 (from Vienna to Nurnberg).

Quick link (in German):

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heilige_Lanze

and in English (look for "Hofburg Spear or Vienna Lance" in the text):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Lance

I know it's WIKI but pretty accurate for a quick view of the spear/lance itself. ;)

Yes, OK, very quickly before it goes even more off-topic...
    :(

Its a lot more interesting than the usual re-worded, repeated AH stuff . :o

I would not disagree with you there. Maybe that is why such topics and other equally interesting ones appear more in other fora and subfora.

I have never said that it was nonsensical. I have said it is unproven and should not be shown as factual.

Like the existance of God is unproven and should not be shown as factual.

Anyway, back on topic:

I notice this reporting from the BBC:
    BBC wrote:
    In his address to around 4,000 pupils in Twickenham, he warned against the limitations of celebrity and science.

I hope the juxtaposition of celebrity and science was done by the BBC, not the Pope.

And, off topic again:
    The senior Vatican scientist, Brother Guy Consolmagno, said that he would be delighted if we encountered intelligent aliens and would be happy to baptise them.

His pronouncement opens up the possibility of space missionaries heading out to the stars to convert aliens to Christianity.

I would not disagree with you there. Maybe that is why such topics and other equally interesting ones appear more in other fora and subfora.
    True.
    I wonder where is it (spear) now though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

I know there's a great book called the spear of destiny, I read a little of it but never got to complete it, must make a point of having another go at it.

It's an interesting topic, I know both sides in the war were big in to the occult and waging "magical warfare" against each other, almost like a precursor to the events that the film the men who stare at goats is based around I think.

AFAIK the allies brought in Aleister Crowley to help them, not too sure what the Germans were doing, all pretty fascinating stuff.

Mods and OP, apologies for dragging the thread off topic.

True.
    I wonder where is it (spear) now though?

It's back in the treasury chamber of the Hofburg in Vienna (Inventory number XIII,19).

You see it was always part of the "Reichskleinodien" of the German kings and emperors. This is like part of the Crown Jewels in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Can anyone justify a guy going around and saying that condoms actually SPREAD HIV/AIDS?! I mean... what century is it?

• Advertisement

People shouldn't bo so smug as to portray they beliefs on god as facts when this has not been verified ans still remains a belief
    Are you saying that the pope is smug?:confused:
    He seems fairly certain that (his) God exists.

Advertisement