Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pope UK visit mega discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

suitseir wrote: »
    It has to be said an amazing turn out for him in both Scotland and the UK...so what does that say

That people are so delusional that they would publicly worship a man who participated in the cover up of child sex abuse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

That people are so delusional that they would publicly worship a man who participated in the cover up of child sex abuse?

The elephant in the room. Unitil he addresses that issue, I can't see any successful visit here.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Absolutely, but STILL an amazing turnout and they can't ALL be delusional!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I think he should have visited long ago but only so he could have apologized to the Irish people and particularly those who were abused by clergy.

It has to be said an amazing turn out for him in both Scotland and the UK...so what does that say ( and not even a CATHOLIC COUNTRY??)

I think if he came to Ireland there would be a huge turnout as well (imo).

Apparently also an amazing turnout against him.
    Just saw Geoffrey Robertson on Sky News saying that there were 20,000 people at a protest against him today. Its a big claim, but if its anywhere near accurate, you'd have to wonder about the coverage that the visit is getting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Pope Benedict

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    The Pope is an elitist twat. He looked at home with the other morons in the British Royal family yesterday. They're all cut from the same cloth. Wear big hats and wave one hand at the "peasants"
    O RLY?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

O RLY?

Heil Hey Il Papa - hows she cuttin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

can't believe the turnout for this guy, begs the question....

why are catholics so loyal to their religion??

brainwashed from an early age??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

philstar wrote: »
    can't believe the turnout for this guy, begs the question....

why are catholics so loyal to their religion??

brainwashed from an early age??

Probably.

Fear too.

My lovely catholic Mammy recently said I'd "have more luck" if I went to mass.

:pac:

bronte wrote: »

My lovely catholic Mammy recently said I'd "have more luck" if I went to mass.

:pac:

with men:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

dvpower wrote: »
    Apparently also an amazing turnout against him.
    Just saw Geoffrey Robertson on Sky News saying that there were 20,000 people at a protest against him today. Its a big claim, but if its anywhere near accurate, you'd have to wonder about the coverage that the visit is getting.

...and hopefully next the God delusion will be released as a free 'ebook' to download and the royalties will go to all those who oppose religious freedom and protest against all and sundry who are 'religious' but mainly those Catholic ones who stroke their horns down everynight while brushing their hair so as nobody knows how 'evil' we are, and our parents are, and grandparents etc. who where just so bloody deluded by hardtimes that they clung to God for all it's worth and lost their critical minds in the process...

How does anybody seriously not be 'critical' about the so called 'critical'?

It's all mad Ted...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

philstar wrote: »
    with men:cool:

Feck no! I have enough of that!

Just in general.... deep down I think she really believes that churchgoing folk are "better".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

It has to be said an amazing turn out for him in both Scotland and the UK...so what does that say ( and not even a CATHOLIC COUNTRY??)

I think if he came to Ireland there would be a huge turnout as well (imo).

Another way of looking at it is that not everyone shares what will be deemed as the popular sentiment about the pope and the catholic church.

Could it just be the fact that some folks see beyond the usual recriminations about religion and enjoy their faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

A wonderful couple of days for all Catholics in Europe.

Benedict XVI has given those in secular Britain a rude awakening. The "protesters" are but a bitter irrelevance.

These last couple of days have been beyond my wildest dreams.

Viva la Papa!

most of them are eastern european emigrants

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

JonJoeDali wrote: »
    Benedict XVI has given those in secular Britain a rude awakening. The "protesters" are but a bitter irrelevance.

Viva la Papa!

so victims of child abuse by catholic clergy are a "bitter irrelevance":rolleyes:

and you call yourself a Christan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Viva la Papa!

Have you forgotten to take your medication again?

You know what happened the last time that happened & the judge told you that he would not be so leniant the next time.

I think he should have visited long ago but only so he could have apologized to the Irish people and particularly those who were abused by clergy.

I understand your position and I think that the Catholic church has a lot of apologising to do for the despicable crimes committed against innocent kids over the years due thier inabilty to curtail a phenomenon that is reflected in all spheres of society i.e judges, police force, families etc

However, we have to be logical when discussing, I was listening to some folks on RTE that said he didnt mention the word "sorry"...common on now!!
    I read the statement and he expressly his deep sorrow and "shame" about the child abuse that occurred. I reckon even if he had said sorry, folks will have asked why he didnt shed some of his blood to express his sorrow.

I also think it is quite sensible to realise that over 80% ( if not more ) of the abusing priests, fathers in all cases in the US, Ireland, Uk are of Irish citizenship or/and ancestry.

No they are not a bitter irrelevance, and never have been! I have spent time with them myself, and they don't have the same values as some express they have in public. It's the Catholic communities and Christian communities who are doing more for them for 'real' because they understand that it's 'across' the board...There is no institution where pedophilia is not the 'exact' same! It's just publicised more cause there is a bullseye target. Most denominations admit same, it's only a pity that the secular community don't get the same wake up call if they are so concerned about pedophilia, which we are only learning about...in their very own midst..

Nobody is pardoning the clergy, not by a long shot.....they should be brought to justice just like anybody else is...

..we're getting there, but to believe that it stems from Catholics only is really just buying into an opinion that has been sold, bought and paid for..which makes you guys just as 'bought'...

..so think about it, with the critical minds please.

KINGVictor wrote: »
    I understand your position and I think that the Catholic church has a lot of apologising to do for the despicable crimes committed against innocent kids over the years due thier inabilty to curtail a phenomenon that is reflected in all spheres of society i.e judges, police force, families etc

However, we have to be logical when discussing, I was listening to some folks on RTE that said he didnt mention the word "sorry"...common on now!!
    I read the statement and he expressly his deep sorrow and "shame" about the child abuse that occurred. I reckon even if he had said sorry, folks will have asked why he didnt shed some of his blood to express his sorrow.

I also think it is quite sensible to realise that over 80% ( if not more ) of the abusing priests, fathers in all cases in the US, Ireland, Uk are of Irish citizenship or/and ancestry.

This has to be a joke! 'Irish' people abuse more? You know, it's true that we exported some really cool priests etc. but to say that it's limited and can be examined as a 'nation' is just off the ****ing wall mad...

Where is this critical thinking, where are the stats on child abuse in the home of 'any' other denomination being publicised with such might?

I think that is a crock of **** tbh....

...my 'critical' thinking tells me so, so it must be true..

• Advertisement

lmaopml wrote: »
    This has to be a joke! 'Irish' people abuse more? You know, it's true that we exported some really cool priests etc. but to say that it's limited and can be examined as a 'nation' is just off the ****ing wall mad...

Where is this critical thinking, where are the stats on child abuse in the home of 'any' other denomination being publicised with such might?

I think that is a crock of **** tbh....

...my 'critical' thinking tells me so, so it must be true..

I dont know what you mean by your "Critical thinking"...I would have expected you to negate my comments by "FACTS".

The truth is that most of abuses carried out by catholic priests in the UK, US and understandably Ireland were by Irish men and women.

In terms of research, we could assume or hypothesise that it could have nothing to do with religion but experiences of the guilty parties

OR

We could also assume that there is a reality known as individuality and it will really be illiterate to opine that the Catholic church will solely be responsible for the actions of a few.

I dont know what you mean by your "Critical thinking"...I would have expected you to negate my comments by "FACTS".

The truth is that most of abuses carried out by catholic priests in the UK, US and understandably Ireland were by Irish men and women.

In terms of research, we could assume or hypothesise that it could have nothing to do with religion but experiences of the guilty parties

OR

We could also assume that there is a reality known as individuality and it will really be illiterate to opine that the Catholic church will solely be responsible for the actions of a few.

KingVictor..lol..

When you provide 'stats' about unreported child abuse among every denomination or state run schooling system, and they are awarded the same 'rigour' as the Catholic church, I will take you seriously, until then I will regard your comments about the Irish with utmost contempt, as they only deserve...

You're a minion of the media, bought and sold, that much is apparent..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Firstly, sorrow doesn't = sorry.

Secondly, this man protected pedophiles! Even if he had said sorry, do you really think it would mean ANYTHING? Too little too late imo. If he was the head of a secular organisation he'd almost definitely have been prosecuted.

The man deserves to rot in a jail cell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭JonJoeDali

Have you forgotten to take your medication again?

You know what happened the last time that happened & the judge told you that he would not be so leniant the next time.

lol... So why aren't you out sporting a pink mitre? A trip to Stansted and a train to London too much for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I think the PayPal visit by the Pope is a good thing.

Show's that the church are trying to get in touch with the youth of today.

Viva la Papa!
    A bitter irrelevance?
    It a lovely fcuking religion you have there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

Absolutely, but STILL an amazing turnout and they can't ALL be delusional!!

im afraid they are , since religion is for delusional idiots

FACT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Sir Ian McClellan or Joe 'Paedo Protector' Ratzinger...

The only bitter irrelevance is the sexist misogynistic Roman Catholic Paedo Ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

dvpower wrote: »
    A bitter irrelevance?
    It a lovely fcuking religion you have there.

You are smart enough not to make that mistake. It was a ridiculous comment to make but is not reflective of the religion.

• Advertisement

prinz wrote: »
    You are smart enough not to make that mistake. It was a ridiculous comment to make but is not reflective of the religion.

Yeah. I was referring to the poster's particular viewpoint, not Catholicism in general. The vast majority of ordinary catholics wouldn't share his distain for victims.
    I should have been clearer.

Advertisement