Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pope UK visit mega discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

orourkeda wrote: »
    Firewalls. Are you actually going to the vatican anytime soon?

This Pope is pretty pullet proof - Maybe I'll wait till he's sh*tting in the woods before i call him a Pr*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Oranage2 wrote: »
    If I email the Pope calling him a pr*ck will i be banned from the Vatican?

.........................................Because thats a price I'm willing to take!

Ten Hail Marys on top of Croagh Patrick is what you'll get. Fair punishment I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

No You wont

no i wont, i wouldnt waste my time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

No, he always manages to put his foot in his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,164 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

davrho wrote: »
    By your posts? How else?
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    Well, i get that.

But please explain to me how i have been ignorant please?

Didnt think so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

Well, going by the pope, I'm Adolf Hitler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Nonsense & hysteria? So he wasn't complicit in child rape? Thousands of crazy people aren't flocking to see a man who sanctioned the protection and facilitation of child rapists while claiming to be a moral authority and calling others evil and nazi-esque? Again, each to their own I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I'm not sure I'd ever call criticism levelled at someone complicit in child rape irrational tbh - each to their own, I guess. :confused:

Was he really complicit in it though? From what I read they seemed to be grasping at straws to implicate him. I don't have an agenda, I'm just going by what I read...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Bin men?
    But the Pope is 100% recyclable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Galvasean wrote: »
    The health service is getting loads of flak in the media at the moment in realtion to child abuse.

Where is the idea that they are ciminal organisations who should be disbanded?

The Ryan report showed abuse in Anglican schools, but non Catholic abuse is not mentioned by the sectarian British Press - particular the Guardian.

England does not investigate - in fact to me it clearly covers up - abuse in it's system. Look at Jersey. And the public school boy system.

The Ryan report probably shows that Ireland does Ryan reports. A similar report in England, with anonymous reporting, would show abuse throughout the secular system. after all the non-parental abuse has to happen where kids are away from home ( day schools are not ideal for abusers). And most Irish go to day schools, boarding schools are much more prevalent here ( England).

I bet that most of the secular public intellectuals appalled by Catholic abuse in Britain, know abusers in their schools, or were abused themselves ( Dawkins said he was). But England does not investigate, it merely descends into it's old hatreds.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Preusse wrote: »
    That's one way of looking at it, agreed, but this is with the benefit of hindsight. Nobody can say how someone would act at the age he was at. The ranks would have been filled by all in the class at that time, Towards the end of the war there was no "elite" of students chosen to fight in the different units, everyone was drafted in, no matter what the age.

Also, remember, you said he was near legal age but that had no meaning in Germany at the time because all children from a certain age on "belonged" to Hitler, that was made clear by the ceremonies where parents actually "handed over" their children to Hitler (the State and Party) to educate and train up to and until after their military training and compulsory service in one of the armed forces branches.

No argument there.
    It was one messed up situation.

I hope why though its clear why some have reservations towards the present pope, one who is disliked and certainly distrusted.

The Rome organisation certainly could have and should have selected a better alternative choice in pope - but given their leaning towards a direction the cardinals wanted their org' to go, they selected him!

That alone makes many uneasy and could be indicative.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Nonsense & hysteria? So he wasn't complicit in child rape?

I fail to see what ridiculous accusations of nazism etc have to do with child rape... One's hysterical rubbish, the other is a valid criticism. Unfortunately many people can't seem to seperate the these issues and are happy being spoonfed soundbites from a hostile media.

Edit: The 'Pope compares atheists to nazis' is a perfect example. What the Pope did was compare extremists to extremists. There was nothing in what he said about everyday atheists. Twist what he said around and you've got yourself criticism of the Pope based on nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

No surprise really London and England is full of Islamic Fundamentalists nutcases more than any other western country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

prinz wrote: »
    What in that suggests the Pope is planning on sacking anyone? I said it's common sense. Common sense to me. Correcting misconceptions about his past =/= defending child abuse. Again ridiculous leap in logic. Nowhere have I ever defended child abuse. I also said IMO he should accept the resignations and anyone involved should face justice. Wtf? :confused: Somehow that's now defending child abuse? See how ridiculous these jumps are?

It's a pity then that his family failed to save a close relation from being murdered by the Nazis due to having Downs Syndrome.

It seems I misunderstood what you meant, because you used the word sacking in your post.
    I don't 'defend' anyone convicted of child abuse. It's only common sense that if you are sacking one person for x issue, you make sure the person you replace them with is different.

Anyway, I'm tired of repeating myself on the subject. I'm off. God Bless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

no i wont, i wouldnt waste my time

You told us to watch this space a minute ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

TheZohan wrote: »
    He's responsible for the running of the RC Church, the buck stops with him. To say he's a target because he's old is a poor argument. He's had plenty of time to get the Church in order and he's failed miserably.

I feel sorry for all the good people in the RC Church that get bashed because of the Pope not getting his act together.

Do you really believe the buck stops with him and him only? If he was removed would it change anything? Hes not a dictator, he was elected on the votes of his cardinals. The church had a perfect opportunity to elect a younger pope, someone more in touch with the youth of today. But instead, they elected an old man. Someone to weather the storm of the scandals.

It would seem to me that the politics behind it all goes far deeper than the pope, and those hidden from the public eye who retain their positions regardless of who is Pope. Thats the people I hold accountable. (not to mention the polictians and governments who allowed the abuse to continue at the time)

but as I said, its easier to pick on a scapegoat which in this case, is an old man.

no. he is a nazi animal who is responsible for abuse because he covered it up

Did he abuse anyone?

I can understand peoples viewpoint that he is part of a cover up but to suggest that he is responsible for it is a touch ott

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

The man is getting paid to go around the world and tell fairytales.

Is there any better job?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

You told us to watch this space a minute ago.

admiralofthefleetingbogusclaims

OisinT wrote: »
    I don't think it's over the top. While JP was pope, Ratzinger was Archbishop of Munich and then the Prefect of something... during this time he covered up numerous (or helped to cover up) cases of priest sexual abuse.

not to mention now, his comments regarding HIV/AIDS and condom use is completely unacceptable in 2010. (hell it wasn't even acceptable in 1990 really).

The Pope is open about his wish to "re-evangelise" Europe which would genuinely set us back about 500-1000 years. Lets be honest, do we need god is one question to which my answer is no. But many are unwilling or unable to let go of the god delusion - fine.
    Do we need a pope? I think this answer is a clear no and I find no reason to say yes.
    If you want to believe in god and jesus and have faith in god and jesus, then do you need some guy in Rome telling you what to do?

I've asked this question before.

Prove to me that god is a delusion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Armed police today arrested five men suspected of plotting to assassinate the Pope.

A counter-terrorism squad swooped on an address in north-east London at 5.45am after Scotland Yard received information that the pontiff’s life was in danger.

The men, all foreign nationals and believed to be of Arabic origin, had not previously come to the attention of the police or the security services.

The suspects, aged 26, 27, 36, 40 and 50, were were arrested under the Terrorism Act and are being questioned at a central London police station.

Police are also searching a business premises in Westminster, central London, where the Pope is due this afternoon, and residential properties in north and east London.

No hazardous materials have yet been found in the search, a Metropolitan Police spokesman said.

Senior officers were called into Scotland Yard in the early hours of this morning when the intelligence was received. It was understood to relate to a specific threat to the Pope rather than a mass terror attack in the vein of the July 7 bombings.

The security arrangements surrounded the Pope’s visit have already been reviewed but Benedict XVI’s schedule has not been altered and the UK threat level remains unchanged.

A Met spokesman said: “Today’s arrests were made after police received information. Following initial inquiries by detectives, a decision was made to arrest the five men.

“Following today’s arrests the policing arrangements for the Papal visit were reviewed and we are satisfied that our current policing plan remains appropriate. The itinerary has not changed. There is no change to the UK threat level.”

The pope has today already held a private mass and spoken to 4,000 schoolchildren in a “Big Assembly” at St Mary’s University College, Twickenham.

Currently running an hour late, he is this afternoon due to meet the Archbishop of Canterbury at Lambeth Palace, give an address at Westminster Hall and lead evening prayers at Westminster Abbey.

A security source told The Times: “These could be major arrests. But it might also turn out to be a matter for immigration.”

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/crime/article2730547.ece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Nope. He was involved in the cover up of child sex abuse. Fcuk him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

I've asked this question before.

Prove to me that god is a delusion.
    Prove that a pasta monster god is a delusion.

Kasabian wrote: »
    The Catholic faith is practised by millions , not all are happy with the church and it's leaders but they remain faithful to the doctrine.

I would agree with that wholeheartedly.

Belief in any given religion should be based on the religion itself and not on the actions or inactions of its leaders

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

'But many are unable or unwilling to let go of the God delusion'.....

Would that be the book? :pac:

If so, I agree..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Was he really complicit in it though? From what I read they seemed to be grasping at straws to implicate him. I don't have an agenda, I'm just going by what I read...

We're clearly not reading the same material then....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8612457.stm
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/apr/24/children.childprotection
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23369148-pope-led-cover-up-of-child-abuse-by-priests.do
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/world/europe/25vatican.html?_r=1
    http://www.newser.com/story/82767/popes-brother-embroiled-in-abuse-scandal.html
    prinz wrote:
    I fail to see what ridiculous accusations of nazism etc have to do with child rape... One's hysterical rubbish, the other is a valid criticism. Unfortunately many people can't seem to seperate the these issues and are happy being spoonfed soundbites from a hostile media.

Edit: The 'Pope compares atheists to nazis' is a perfect example. What the Pope did was compare extremists to extremists. There was nothing in what he said about everyday atheists. Twist what he said around and you've got yourself criticism of the Pope based on nothing.

Extreme atheism? That's got to be the most ridiculous, hysterical and nonsensical soundbite posted to date. Bit rich accusing anyone else of overdoing the theatrics. :pac:
    theists wrote:
    Boo hoo!

http://alerio.freehostia.com/oppressed.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

"Even in our own lifetimes we can recall how Britain and her leaders stood against a Nazi tyranny that wished to eradicate God from society and denied our common humanity to many, especially the Jews, who were thought unfit to live.

"As we reflect on the sobering lessons of atheist extremism of the 20th century, let us never forget how the exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus a reductive vision of a person and his destiny."

Can you please tell me what extreme atheism is?

The Pope has equated it with Nazism, which is clearly false.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

OK Folks. Another round of thread merges here. This is now the Pope's UK visit discussion mega thread encombassing the insulting things he said about atheists, the plot to kill him and whether or not we're being too harsh on the poor little mite.

The man is getting paid to go around the world and tell fairytales.

Is there any better job?!

Kind of you to dump on the religious beliefs of millions of people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Anybody who opposes the use of Condoms, Stem Cell research, who preaches homophobic and misogynistic rhetoric and who was involved in covering up child abuse is a fair target for any level of criticism (concerning those matters) imo.

Somebody with his level of power and influence who cannot be removed/silenced must then be challenged on the public stage.

It's not an over-the-top thing to say that he has killed millions of people (in terms of his opposition to condoms, abortion and stem cell research alone)

Presently the UK tax payer can say what they like about him since their paying his travel expenses.

Advertisement