Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pope UK visit mega discussion thread.

Options
  • 17-09-2010 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

A speech in which the Pope appeared to associate atheism with the Nazis has prompted criticism from humanist organisations.

The Pope made his remarks in his opening address to the Queen at Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh.

He said: "Even in our own lifetimes we can recall how Britain and her leaders stood against a Nazi tyranny that wished to eradicate God from society and denied our common humanity to many, especially the Jews, who were thought unfit to live.

"As we reflect on the sobering lessons of atheist extremism of the 20th century, let us never forget how the exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus a reductive vision of a person and his destiny."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11332515

He then allegedly followed up his comments by making a Hitler style salute with one hand, held his other hand over his lip to simulate a moustache & marched up & down in front of the Queen in a military style, shouting, "Heil".

Prince Phillip, was apparantley, very impressed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Godwin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Godwin?

God wins everytime :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Goose step FTW. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

OH THE IRONING!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

The Nazi's also had very progressive environmental policies, as well as being predominantly German.

So by following his Dopeness' logic, should we shun the Krauts also and pollute as we pray?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Its an out of touch, out of date, out of a clue old fart.
    Stuff him, I couldn't give a toss what the idiot thinks. I'll continue to live my own life, not follow his daft rules because of a badly written book constructed hundreds of years ago for political reasons in Constantinople.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

MrStuffins wrote: »
    OH THE IRONING!!!!!

There's a starch reality to what he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Vatican Uber Alles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Oh yeah, the evils of atheism from a man complicit in child rape. He's a complete moron - a despicable moron, even the majority of his faiths followers would agree with that. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Prince Phillip really is a loveable rogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

The Pope is an elitist twat. He looked at home with the other morons in the British Royal family yesterday. They're all cut from the same cloth. Wear big hats and wave one hand at the "peasants".

This just in, Gary Glitter compares the Catholic Church to kiddy-fiddlers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Would this guy ever climb down from his Irovy tower. There is a reason no one wants to believe in what he says anymore. Trying to defend pedofiles, driving around in his modified Merc, wearing Gucci robes. He doesn't even understand the basic concept of his own religion and then turns around and insults people who see through this bullshit, what a guy.

/rant

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Has he seen Kyle?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Wait, didn't the Church instigate many a Holy War in the shape of the Crusades which saw campaigns waged against, among many other religious denominations, the Jews?

Short memory there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Idiot.

I was watching the news this morning and I saw the clip of him looking out the window of the place he was staying last night. There were hundreds of people outside screaming like they were at a fúckin beatles concert. What the hell. I just can't understand why people would give him that admiration.

Then, there's the other issue of people buying tickets for one of his open air masses! Wow, that's pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Godwin?
    Kasabian wrote: »
    God wins everytime :eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law
    Godwin's law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies or Godwin's law of Nazi Analogies)[1][2] is a humorous observation made by Mike Godwin in 1989 which has become an Internet adage. It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."[3][2] In other words, Godwin put forth the sarcastic observation that, given enough time, all discussions—regardless of topic or scope—inevitably wind up being about Hitler and the Nazis.

Ah atheists. They're the new enemy, of course. It's all the atheists' fault! I see it now!

Mumble mumble mumble f*ckin' god mumble mumble mumble how can they seriously make me believe that one man can be the 'appointed holiest conduit to his make believe friend'? mumble mumble mumble mumble. Kiddie f*ckers. Mumble mumble mumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

How do I hate thee? Let me count the ways

by Elizabeth Barrett Browning and rearranged by Up for Anything

How do I hate thee? Let me count the ways.
    I hate thee to the depth and breadth and height
    My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
    For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
    I hate thee to the level of every day's
    Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
    I hate thee freely, as men strive for right;
    I hate thee purely, as they turn from praise,
    I hate thee with the passion put to use
    In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
    I hate thee with a hate I seemed to lose
    With my lost saints -I hate thee with the breath,
    Smiles, tears, of all my life! -and, if God choose,
    I shall but love thee better after death (your's).

Dedicated to the Pope, Brian Cowen, Bertie Ahern, Sean Fitzpatrick, and heaps of others.

I've got a lot of hate to go around these days. :mad:

• Advertisement

Idiot.

I was watching the news this morning and I saw the clip of him looking out the window of the place he was staying last night. There were hundreds of people outside screaming like they were at a fúckin beatles concert. What the hell. I just can't understand why people would give him that admiration.

Then, there's the other issue of people buying tickets for one of his open air masses! Wow, that's pathetic.

Did you see the ads on Sky News for it?

"His first tour in over X years"

"X million fans in the UK"

They went on like he was a rock-star! WTF?

It was the cheesiest thing i've ever seen!

The sooner the clown goes home the better.
    News items can get back to normal and I can turn on the tv again once in a while, without having to be flashed with Darth Vaders mug.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

We're pretty aggressively increasingly more secular on here aren't we?
    I can't believe comments like that don't cause an outrage.
    Popey go home to your vatican with its over priced cafe's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Idiot.

Some people still take their religion seriously and I cant see what the problem is with this. It's up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

This, from a man who claims condoms contribute to the spread of AIDS. Who said that the ordination of women is equal to the rape of children. Who colluded in the hiding and denial of child-raping priests. And who reinstated an excommunicated holocaust-denying bishop. Yeah, I think the guy is a paragon of sense and intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Did you see the ads on Sky News for it?

"His first tour in over X years"

"X million fans in the UK"

They went on like he was a rock-star! WTF?

It was the cheesiest thing i've ever seen!

Ha! No I haven't seen that. How did the voiceover guy do that without wetting his underpants laughing.

orourkeda wrote: »
    Some people still take their religion seriously and I cant see what the problem is with this. It's up to them.

You mean, some people can still take the Catholic Church seriously?

Lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Hitler and the catholic church were close back in the day, were they not?

• Advertisement

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    Hitler and the catholic church were close back in the day, were they not?
    Very.
    The church even smuggled Nazi's out of Germany at the end of WW2.
    Even looked the other way when it came to the killing of the Jews!

Advertisement