Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

The view from the top of the mountain behind our house looking down the valley out to connemara

Photo0142.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Lovely scenary there ;)

Muckit wrote: »
    Lovely scenary there ;)

Pity you cant sell the scenery in the mart though:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Bizzum wrote: »
    This heifer here is a comrade of the one above that we sectioned. Both are the one age,(30mths), both by our own CH bull, both had Lim Bull calves.
    I calved this heifer a couple of weeks ago, with the jack, but relatively easily and when I handled her I knew that I'd calve her easily enough.
    The only difference between the two is they are out of different cows. The troublesome one out of a CH from a dairy herd.
    This one is out of a good Simx cow.
    Only thing I can think of is that the narrow pelvis came from the Fr/Hol?

Dunno why this pic didn't upload lastnight, but here it is now.

Karen112 wrote: »
    Ooooooh.....are they fed? They look like they are but I'm only getting into blondes this year!

I assume you mean nuts. No only ever got grass. They would be shapey as weanlings U grade types. Herd test today, so home with them next week to bare paddock and hay for the next 2/3 mths.
    The only Blonde cows we have are by Landais and he brought milk.
    Anyone know a BA sire suitable for heifers and will bring or hold milk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

The calf is a bull calf, calved at 295 days to the AI bull Ambertaine Brigadeer (ABI). The AI man forgot to bring the private flash with straws of FL22, nonetheless it's not a monster of a calf. For some reason the heifer (Off our own CH bull from a CH/FR cow) is narrow and tight to handle ................But not to look at. I can't really explain it because to look at the heifer is a big powerful heifer, but to handle, she's tight as an otters pocket!

And will be like that again next year! Will you keep her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Dunno why this pic didn't upload lastnight, but here it is now.

Your calf appears to be peeing a heifer:D

(lovely stock though!)

picture2ocy.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is how I'll try to explain it, from front of pin to base of where the calving bone ends, then down to the mid flank. It's prob just the way I grew up learning but it seems to work for us with choosing breeding stock.:o

just do it wrote: »
    And will be like that again next year! Will you keep her?

Not a chance.

Your calf appears to be peeing a heifer:D

(lovely stock though!)

At least she hasn't a purple triangle on her flank.
    That's just taking the whole tattoo thing way to far.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

saler X Strawberry shorthorn dam and a TZR CH bull.

Came nice white with a little roan coming through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

Couple of pb PT weanling heifers I bought. April born.

***DISCUSSION THREAD FOR THIS POST***

Bodacious wrote: »

Can the SA x SH cow calve anything?

Bodacious wrote: »

Can the SA x SH cow calve anything?

hi bizzum,

The cow is a massive beast and what originally drew my attention to the calf she seriously wide, roomy and deep looks like she would calve anything.. Very milky too, so hopefully she,'ll work out

At least she hasn't a purple triangle on her flank.
    That's just taking the whole tattoo thing way to far.:D

My cows love my legs:D Means I'll be forever recognised in the field!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

Is this the way to go with heifers? Put the charolais on them as a weanling:D

Funny.jpg

oh holy mother of God!! Put it away! :D

Is this the way to go with heifers? Put the charolais on them as a weanling:D

Funny.jpg

CF 85 ? :D

I kept an EDJ heifer last year to bull but disappointed in height of her but this years calf from same cow and BYU is much taller in comparison (please see pic attached) big, square and long and growthy... i just wondered if anyone had any experience of BYU´s offspring as cows?

Thanks

• Advertisement

polod wrote: »
    CF 85 ? :D

he has his antlers anyway:)

he has his antlers anyway:)

All 3 of them!

All 3 of them!

LOL :pac:

Muckit wrote: »
    Came across these on my travels through Donegal last week. Some cracking charolais calves with them. Are they out of these?
    Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

They very well may have been......:D
    Want to buy them?

They very well may have been......:D
    Want to buy them?

I'd have a bit of a journey down with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD] This thread is drifting away from its intended purpose of 'Photos', with a good bit of general discussion of the subjects raised in some of the pictures.
    Here's how the thread will work from here on: photos are posted as usual; if discussion arises from one, the original photo post will be COPIED to a new thread of its own and all subsequent discussion arising from it will be MOVED to this new thread. A link to the new discussion thread will be inserted into the original post here.

VERY off-topic stuff will be moved to the farming chit chat thread, or deleted.

We'll do this with now with the most recent active ones. [/MOD]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

good thread..if not broken why fix :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭easymoney!

Rovi wrote: »
    [MOD] This thread is drifting away from its intended purpose of 'Photos', with a good bit of general discussion of the subjects raised in some of the pictures.
    Here's how the thread will work from here on: photos are posted as usual; if discussion arises from one, the original photo post will be COPIED to a new thread of its own and all subsequent discussion arising from it will be MOVED to this new thread. A link to the new discussion thread will be inserted into the original post here.

VERY off-topic stuff will be moved to the farming chit chat thread, or deleted.

We'll do this with now with the most recent active ones. [/MOD]

dont understand? why are you worried about it its doing no harm to you is it?? its al to do with the photos at the end of the day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Lads, some of the posts on the thread went way off topic of the pictures lately. There were pages and pages of just chat which didn't relate to the pictures at all. We discussed it and decided on the above just to keep it interesting and tidy. We're not deleting anyone's post - just if its not on topic, it will be moved to somewhere appropriate.

We're not trying to be harsh on anyone. This is a great thread, we just want to keep it that way. For anyone that isn't familiar with the F & F forum and stumbles across it, the pictures are a great bit of entertainment. Pages and pages of off topic chat are just boring.

Other forums on boards.ie have similar photograph threads and operate the same policy.

• Advertisement

A pic or 2 to get back on track!

A SimX (Sire KFY) out of a Lmx cow, and her Part calf by Sirex. The cow is back in calf to our stock CH bull. This Part calf will probably be kept for breeding.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement