Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

fecking rushes seem to be gone wild this year, my spraying plans went up in smoke with the bad autumn
    Same here. Got 40 acres done in may, Have roughly another 40 to do in the spring. Gave 40 a can for mcpa in the co-op last spring. Soon after discovered a local man who owns his own company selling sprays who sold it for 30 a can and threw in the wetting agent for free. Bulling I had given 480 quid to the co-op:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Same here. Got 40 acres done in may, Have roughly another 40 to do in the spring. Gave 40 a can for mcpa in the co-op last spring. Soon after discovered a local man who owns his own company selling sprays who sold it for 30 a can and threw in the wetting agent for free. Bulling I had given 480 quid to the co-op:mad:

jeez, you might pm me on his details at some stage, sounds like a handy chap to know

jeez, you might pm me on his details at some stage, sounds like a handy chap to know

Pm sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

sdc13987.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

sdc13979.jpg

Sold these two lads last night:D I'd say the blues are back a wee bit from the early sales but I was still smiling in the box!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Karen112 wrote: »
    sdc13987.jpg

sdc13979.jpg

Sold these two lads last night:D I'd say the blues are back a wee bit from the early sales but I was still smiling in the box!

Nice animals

What sort of weights and money?

• Advertisement

reilig wrote: »
    Nice animals

What sort of weights and money?

Top was 465kg @ €1145 and the bottom was 425kg @ €1130. Happy enough but I'd say they would have gone the same a few weeks ago.

I sold this lady in Elphin this week:

picture.php?albumid=1565&pictureid=10836

Born on May 22. Off SFL and a Limousin cow. Weighed 250kg. Got €990 for her. Picture isn't great, but it shows the end that a BB can develop in 4 months. It also shows how wet and heavy my land was 2 weeks ago - they were taken off it that day and won't be back on it till this weekend. Sold this heifer because I didn't think she was good enough quality for breeding - she is a bit low. Have an identical heifer with a taller frame that I had planned on keeping for breeding but at those prices, I might let her go too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Fair play to you Karen, if I had weanlings like that to sell I'd be smiling too. I reckon I'd have to take my AAs to slaughter to get that sort of money.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Pedigree Limousin off Sauvignon and a Rocky heifer born in mid june:

picture.php?albumid=1565&pictureid=10840

Has turned into a smashing calf and will definitely be kept for a cow - well worth the €50 royalty fee to the Limousin Society for the straw.

picture.php?albumid=1565&pictureid=10841
    Sauvignon heifer on the right again.

Heifer on the left is off Milbrook Dartangan. She's not the quality that i thought she would be - she's also a mid-june calf. Nice enough all the same, but might not be kept for breeding.

Born on May 22. Off SFL and a Limousin cow. Weighed 250kg. Got €990 for her. Picture isn't great, but it shows the end that a BB can develop in 4 months. It also shows how wet and heavy my land was 2 weeks ago - they were taken off it that day and won't be back on it till this weekend. Sold this heifer because I didn't think she was good enough quality for breeding - she is a bit low. Have an identical heifer with a taller frame that I had planned on keeping for breeding but at those prices, I might let her go too.

Nice calfs reilig. Thats fair tricky ground to be working with!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Nobody commented on the house in the background or the lake in the following pic.

Its all business around here!

or the lake in the following pic.

I'll have you know that lake is actually a flood :D:D

Pedigree Limousin off Sauvignon and a Rocky heifer born in mid june:

picture.php?albumid=1565&pictureid=10840

Heifer on the left is off Milbrook Dartangan. She's not the quality that i thought she would be - she's also a mid-june calf. Nice enough all the same, but might not be kept for breeding.

Now you have me guessing at where you live:eek:! Leitrim all looks the same!

blue5000 wrote: »
    Fair play to you Karen, if I had weanlings like that to sell I'd be smiling too. I reckon I'd have to take my AAs to slaughter to get that sort of money.

Danke:) Pity we didn't get them off earlier though. Land is a mess:mad: Least we're a bit understocked this year, we took them in one atrocious day and they were too warm in the shed and roaring at us so had to let them out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

nice stock there guys and even better money,i have cattle that i was going to keep over the winter but they have grown really well and its hard to keep them at these prices dont know what to do:confused:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Real nice animal there...

Your ground looks very like most of ours
    We have just a few inches of heavy clay soil, with either bog or shale under rather than channel... We've sold everything for the year so we're only left with animals @ 200-250kg, hope to run them out for a few weeks yet and they are handy on the ground too..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Fine lookling weanlings. What breeding are they? Ai or bull?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Really good quality animals there Relig and Karen

They are a credit to ye

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

Jeez i'd love to have lovely stock like that to sell!
    The 2 bucket calves I got back in march have done good enough but my neighbour said the last day that I will not get very much more than €250-300 each for them!
    I have kept record of their cost and they are costing around €310-320 for everything but excluding my own time.
    I wonder should I cut my losses now or winter them and see how they do

pakalasa wrote: »
    Fine lookling weanlings. What breeding are they? Ai or bull?

PB LM Dam off Navarin and her dam before that was off Ulysses. Then Westside Bob as the sire (the black one) Other one was off a wee little powerful dam, off PUP. With SM breeding as her previous dam so great milk. Again Westside Bob. (AI) Ah they were pets though, although getting a puck off the black lad which used to be fun, got a bit......painful:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

weefarmer wrote: »
    Jeez i'd love to have lovely stock like that to sell!
    The 2 bucket calves I got back in march have done good enough but my neighbour said the last day that I will not get very much more than €250-300 each for them!
    I have kept record of their cost and they are costing around €310-320 for everything but excluding my own time.
    I wonder should I cut my losses now or winter them and see how they do
    i have to laugh at some peoples guesstimates of prices... the way prices are going you have to make money... my neighbour bought an angus pb bull off michael o learys herd in june for €1500 , they want to sell him now and was told she would be lucky to get €1100:eek: , he is 20 months old now , i reckon they would get 1700, if you dont ask you dont get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Lovely quality cattle Reilig and Karen,

Please see attached (if attached )terrible picture as evening was so bad but this is a BYU heifer calf out of a red lim cow that im between minds on keeping on, will get better picture some fine evening!

[url]Http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7987/blackbb.jpg[/url]

Had a 15 month old heifer with pnumonia this evening. Warm wet days for the last week seem to be the cause. Had the vet out. Hopefully she will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

[/QUOTE]
    i have to laugh at some peoples guesstimates of prices... the way prices are going you have to make money... my neighbour bought an angus pb bull off michael o learys herd in june for €1500 , they want to sell him now and was told she would be lucky to get €1100:eek: , he is 20 months old now , i reckon they would get 1700, if you dont ask you dont get[/Quote]

Hmm thats another way to look at it, I might try them at a mart and see, only reason I belive him is because he does be at marts selling often and is always very close with his guesstimate to what they actually sell for!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 shot_ov_a

Now you have me guessing at where you live:eek:! Leitrim all looks the same!

mucklaghan at a guess id say is the lake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Powerful stock there folks. The sort of stock everyone should aim for. A good one won't eat any more than a bad one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i have to laugh at some peoples guesstimates of prices... the way prices are going you have to make money... my neighbour bought an angus pb bull off michael o learys herd in june for €1500 , they want to sell him now and was told she would be lucky to get €1100:eek: , he is 20 months old now , i reckon they would get 1700, if you dont ask you dont get[/Quote]

Hmm thats another way to look at it, I might try them at a mart and see, only reason I belive him is because he does be at marts selling often and is always very close with his guesstimate to what they actually sell for![/QUOTE]
    same as the fella who told my friend that, they couldnt lie straight in bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Two sides to every tale!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Near 4 euro/kg,super price, who bought her do ya know??

• Advertisement

Bugger. I thought you were doing well till I saw the last picture.
    Bizzum wrote: »
    Two sides to every tale!!!!!!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement