Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    Near 4 euro/kg,super price, who bought her do ya know??

Haven't a clue. Wasn't there myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

reilig wrote: »
    Bugger. I thought you were doing well till I saw the last picture.

The pocket is €260 lighter but I'm consoling myself with the fact that both heifer and calf are alive and well. It could go the other was as easy and the bill would still have to be paid!
    The min I handled her I knew the calf was not coming out route one, and the vet didn't take long to draw the same conclusion.
    Once they go ahead that's the main thing, and if it was Feb or Mar and the sheds full of stock it would be worse too!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Pat the lad

Bizzum wrote: »
    Two sides to every tale!!!!!!!!!!

at least their alive and well.
    fine cow. thought she should be able to push that calf out herself?? although photo might not show the true size of the calf. what bull is the calf after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Two sides to every tale!!!!!!!!!!

That is truth. Thankfully we've only ever had two sections (now I'll be plagued with them after saying that) and both were off the same cow, actually a VDC half sister of the brown and white bull's dam. It just pay's to breed our own, if we know that a dam is hard calved, we don't keep a replacement unless she has a tiangle (hard to explain but I'll try) A proper cow to calve (how we think on this farm anyway) should be fed correctly, and have an even triangle in width between pin bone, flank and top back leg joint. I'd have to explain it in picture detail to show what I mean:confused:
    I can say that this (taken 8/9 years ago, so hence the bad photo) is our ideal cow for marginal land. Although that blue heifer is still breeding over in Sligo!
    img00010201110132138.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

at least their alive and well.
    fine cow. thought she should be able to push that calf out herself?? although photo might not show the true size of the calf. what bull is the calf after?

The calf is a bull calf, calved at 295 days to the AI bull Ambertaine Brigadeer (ABI). The AI man forgot to bring the private flash with straws of FL22, nonetheless it's not a monster of a calf. For some reason the heifer (Off our own CH bull from a CH/FR cow) is narrow and tight to handle ................But not to look at. I can't really explain it because to look at the heifer is a big powerful heifer, but to handle, she's tight as an otters pocket!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

img2837w.jpg
    Case 895xl we wrap with. The number plate is 100% legal, I swear! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

The calf is a bull calf, calved at 295 days to the AI bull Ambertaine Brigadeer (ABI). The AI man forgot to bring the private flash with straws of FL22, nonetheless it's not a monster of a calf. For some reason the heifer (Off our own CH bull from a CH/FR cow) is narrow and tight to handle ................But not to look at. I can't really explain it because to look at the heifer is a big powerful heifer, but to handle, she's tight as an otters pocket!

in the 1st pic i can't help noticing she a little fleshy. any chance she was still too fat at calving time? She a fine lookin animal all the same,hope all goes smooth from her on.

silage012.jpg
    silage006.jpg
    img2703g.jpg

in the 1st pic i can't help noticing she a little fleshy. any chance she was still too fat at calving time? She a fine lookin animal all the same,hope all goes smooth from her on.

I agree. She has flesh, Nothing outrageous though but probably a shake too much. She was confined to that tiny paddock you can see in the pic the last 6 weeks on hay. The calf is thinish too. I take your point though!

A few incalf heifers. 2 Limx (The red one by Jaguar) and 1 BlondeX (By Landais). Calving in the spring to the Lim FL 22.

• Advertisement

I'd disagree. Loose skin behind her shoulder means she's not filled out with feed. I'd just say she was too wide around the pelvic area (as in measure around the heifer just above the elder) I've just noticed that a lot of our heifers that look 'light' to calve, generally have bigger calves then those that are slung more in towards the elder area....I'm not saying anything bad about your heifer Bizzum, she looks a fine heifer in the first photo:confused: Bad luck on ya though, hope the calf turns out a smasher ;)

Clearing hazel and scrub in the winterages. The Deere was almost lost inside in it :D
    brushcutterinblackthorn.jpg
    brushcutter.jpg

***DISCUSSION THREAD FOR THIS POST***

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Any chance this thread could be made sticky. It seems to pop up every few days anyway and has become very popular. Its a bit of a nuisance to go looking for it when you want it.

A few incalf heifers. 2 Limx (The red one by Jaguar) and 1 BlondeX (By Landais). Calving in the spring to the Lim FL 22.

Ooooooh.....are they fed? They look like they are but I'm only getting into blondes this year!

This heifer here is a comrade of the one above that we sectioned. Both are the one age,(30mths), both by our own CH bull, both had Lim Bull calves.
    I calved this heifer a couple of weeks ago, with the jack, but relatively easily and when I handled her I knew that I'd calve her easily enough.
    The only difference between the two is they are out of different cows. The troublesome one out of a CH from a dairy herd.
    This one is out of a good Simx cow.
    Only thing I can think of is that the narrow pelvis came from the Fr/Hol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

sticky mickey please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

leg wax wrote: »
    sticky mickey please.

what were you at last night:D

dar31 wrote: »
    what were you at last night:D
    a reps course :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

leg wax wrote: »
    a reps course :D.

is that the 3 day thing? painful!! the farm visit is interesting at least

Karen112 wrote: »
    PB LM Dam off Navarin and her dam before that was off Ulysses. Then Westside Bob as the sire (the black one) Other one was off a wee little powerful dam, off PUP. With SM breeding as her previous dam so great milk. Again Westside Bob. (AI) Ah they were pets though, although getting a puck off the black lad which used to be fun, got a bit......painful:o

your breeding great cattle there Karen, did you sell the nice red and white heifer?

• Advertisement

your breeding great cattle there Karen, did you sell the nice red and white heifer?

Nope buy have a guy looking at her on Sunday at the house, he'd better have big pockets there though;) She's coming on a thrive like a freight train. Put up so much more muscle since I last showed your her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

...For some reason the heifer (Off our own CH bull from a CH/FR cow) is narrow and tight to handle ................But not to look at. I can't really explain it because to look at the heifer is a big powerful heifer, but to handle, she's tight as an otters pocket!

I've seen that before with a white charolais heifer I bought in. She was huge at the hips, but she took a big pull two years in a row. I used the LIM bull Malibu (MBU) on her both times, and he's very easy calving. She turned out not to have a drop of milk either, so factory for her. It was one of the reasons I started to breed my own. I always choose a bull for replacements now that has good Maternal calving figures.
    One thing I also see in the photos, is that the tail head is standing proud, if you know what I mean. My heifer had that too. I never like to see that. I prefer a more flatter, squarer shape around the hips.
    You heifer wont get any easier either, I'd say, so if you are keeping her, maybe better to use a very easy calving bull again.

is that the 3 day thing? painful!! the farm visit is interesting at least
    oh thats it alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

...A proper cow to calve (how we think on this farm anyway) should be fed correctly, and have an even triangle in width between pin bone, flank and top back leg joint. I'd have to explain it in picture detail to show what I mean:confused:

karen,
    Any chance you could put up a diagram to show what you mean by this? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

pakalasa wrote: »
    karen,
    This is the one she has in the field in front of the house

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfyKVXWJOTu3reYtnHAGbz8LtwnLl2UZTjqgDxeiU0vI9_5wyZ

BeeDI wrote: »

all jokes aside, i often wonder about the poor auld cows that get sent to Agrica with bothar...they must suffer a bit not being used to those conditions

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Ooooooh.....are they fed? They look like they are but I'm only getting into blondes this year!

OOOOOOOOOOOOooo care to explain Karen??:D I'm into blondes too,

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

pakalasa wrote: »
    karen,

Ya, was trying to do so last night but need a suitable phot and MS pain....don't now how to draw lines on photos on the mac:o
    BeeDI wrote: »

:eek: How did you find out where I live!
    blue5000 wrote: »

Full moon......;) Actually the cat walked on the laptop and I didnt notice....

blue5000 wrote: »

Was trying to work out if they put up much natural muscle or were they fed a bit, just to pre think what to do with next years blondes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

On a more serious note....Have a good few blonde calves this yr, I have found in the past that blonde cows are very poor for milk, unless it's a first cross with a fresian, so I'm only using the blonde as a terminal sire. My bull is a son of KOY (dovea).

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement