Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

The Lim cow (By Ulysses) mentioned above with a Sim calf at foot, looks like a bull calf but is again by KFY so a full brother to the cow above.
    So she is the granny and Dam of the two above!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

good thread..if not broken why fix :confused:

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

agree with vanderbadger leave it alone ,power gone to your heads lads:D.banned.

leg wax wrote: »
    agree with vanderbadger leave it alone ,power gone to your heads lads:D.banned.

Back seat Modding..................Ban Leg wax................Suspend his SFP too. That'll teach him:D

And now I may be banned for the same or will I stick up a pic with this to save my bacon..............Decisions decisions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

The auld lad used to love to see me going on the quad when I was a young lad as you can imagine:rolleyes:

Quad.jpg

I think its in a farmers nature to ramble on a bit and explain the breeding of a cow or calf in the picture in fairness or so on. If it wasnt a picture of something you were proud of and didnt want to discuss you wouldnt post it here in the first place. And sure is the forum not for farmers and people who are interested anyway more so then the lads who just scroll through it for a minute. Im not attacking yere decision mods but I hadnt seen anyone giving out about it. Too many nitpicky rules and stuff takes the fun out of it a small bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I though the whole point of this thread was that farmers could see how certain bulls were breeding with different cow types etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I think its in a farmers nature to ramble on a bit and explain the breeding of a cow or calf in the picture in fairness or so on. If it wasnt a picture of something you were proud of and didnt want to discuss you wouldnt post it here in the first place. And sure is the forum not for farmers and people who are interested anyway more so then the lads who just scroll through it for a minute. Im not attacking yere decision mods but I hadnt seen anyone giving out about it. Too many nitpicky rules and stuff takes the fun out of it a small bit.

Ah come on lads, this is childish. What has changed?? Nothing really, only the thread is tidy and on topic. Everyone can still post and discuss the pictures. It operates the same way as it always did. The only change is that if there is going to be page after page of text as opposed to photographs, it will have a thread of its own. Nobody is restricted from posting.

reilig wrote: »
    Ah come on lads, this is childish. What has changed?? Nothing really, only the thread is tidy and on topic. Everyone can still post and discuss the pictures. It operates the same way as it always did. The only change is that if there is going to be page after page of text as opposed to photographs, it will have a thread of its own. Nobody is restricted from posting.

Childish...bit harsh I think!! Fair enough if it doesnt change too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

dsc1652s.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now, suffice to say I've not been around that long, but people will discuss a photograph thread as if they are in a mart, it's common sense (to me) to pick the brains of a fellow breeding similar cattle.
    What makes sense in one thread doesn't always work in another but I do like to read about the breeding and other people's comments, it helps me to become a better judge of cattle.
    Now I see what you mean about needless comments on the photo thread, but all I have seen so far have been referring to a certain photo.

Just my three cents. It's like banter in the mart, but online, farmers wil always chat, and more so after looking at cattle. It's very awkward to switch from the photo thread to chit chat to discuss an animal< plus follow on readers would be lost.

All that I can say is try it out. We think that it will make the thread better for all. If, in a week or 2, we find that its not working, we and look at changing it back.

We're about making things better, not worse!! ;)

• Advertisement

Some of our ''land'' inside the wall, 80 acre's there and about 50 of them are hazel. Nice view though!!

Home.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

WOAH!

I wasn't expecting this response when I started what is intended to be just a bit of tidying up with the intention of making the place easier to use. :(

I think there's some misunderstanding though; the intention ISN'T to stifle discussion and chat, it's to encourage it and make it easier.
    Post pictures away and continue commenting on and discussing them as usual; IF a significant discussion arises about a particular picture, the original picture post will be COPIED out to a new thread of its own and the discussion posts will be MOVED to the new thread.
    Nothing gets deleted or removed, it just gets put together in one place for easier use.

A link to the new thread gets put in the original post here, so that people can see that there's a discussion already going on on it, and can contribute there if they want.

It's working already:
    There was a good bit of discussion of THIS POST scattered about here.
    The original post was copied and the subsequent discussion moved to THIS THREAD.
    A big ***DISCUSSION THREAD FOR THIS POST*** link notice was placed at the bottom of the original post.
    There have been 3 new posts to the new thread since it was created.

As reilig says, can we not give it a couple of weeks to see how it works out?

Also my apologies to reilig for doing this and then fecking off for the weekend, leaving him to defend what I did. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

If this is the plan going forward can I sugest that both threads are made sticky threads so we dont have to go searching for one or the other. I know a lot of the other forums do this.

In saying that I'm with the others. I get the idea of it but many people here dont have reliable broadband and if you need to go loading multible pages its a bit of a pain in the backside but I'll leave it in your knowlagable hands

In saying that I'm with the others. I get the idea of it but many people here dont have reliable broadband and if you need to go loading multible pages its a bit of a pain in the backside but I'll leave it in your knowlagable hands

Then what we're doing should suit you. Instead of loading a large page full of photographs which could take ages, you will get to load a single photograph with the discussion very quickly because its size will be smaller. It should certainly be better for people with unreliable broadband. :D;):D;):D;)

We're working on the stickies. There won't be any major change with this work - just that popular threads will remain at the top of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

I fully understand the 2 points of view here, and in the scheme of things the mods have probably called it right.

BUT,

I am regularly on another area within this web site and the Mods have it destroyed. This area has some excellent technical contributors who know their onions and the Mods (1 or 2 in particular) are constantly nit picking on the most ridiculous issues. I really enjoy this area of boards it has a nice relax feel to it (quite similar to the BFF, which has no signs of Mods and is the better for it).

So keep the peace, but keep the common sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Suckler

Oman 006.JPG

Oman 010.JPG

Oman 040.JPG

Oman 042.JPG

Small herd of cattle I came across in a small village on the coast between the UAE and Oman. They were free to wander around town, cow and calf relaxing in the shade in the middle of the "main street".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

i wounder how many stars they would have for beef .:rolleyes:

Pic 004 is a BB (Maybe Joker) from a Simx cow. She is pictured in another pic.
    Pic 148 is the same calf I think as above, but it might not be either! One way or another it's BB X Sim.
    Pic 142 are 2 bullocks, both AI BB, Left is out of a red lim cow, right is out of a PB CH cow.
    Pic 263 is the Simx cow from above with a CH calf at foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

leg wax wrote: »
    i wounder how many stars they would have for beef .:rolleyes:

Of course the other way of looking at it would be to guess how long a Belgian Blue would survive in those conditions!!!

They certainly wouldn't have saddlebags of mince hanging off their @rse, even if they survived.

I think it's horses for courses, if I was keeping cattle in Oman, I wouldn't have an Irish AI man on speed dial.

Pic 085 is a smallish LimX cow by Highlander with Shorthorn in the background. She is incalf to the Sim bull Newry (KFY), calvind in Dec.

Pic 089 is the CHX heifer that we sectioned (Pictured earlier), out and about a week after calving!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Bizzum wrote: »
    Pic 085 is a smallish LimX cow by Highlander with Shorthorn in the background. She is incalf to the Sim bull Newry (KFY), calvind in Dec.

Pic 089 is the CHX heifer that we sectioned (Pictured earlier), out and about a week after calving!

nice cattle Bizz, what part of the country are you in. youve good ground and fierce flat, you would hardly find a football field like that around here ;)

nice cattle Bizz, what part of the country are you in. youve good ground and fierce flat, you would hardly find a football field like that around here ;)

That would be north Offaly. Pretty flat alright, you can generally see only as far as the next hedge! The land type can vary from top of the range powerful land to bog, in the space of a few hundred meters!

Yet another disaster photo:rolleyes:

So we were putting out a few bags of turf in the bog today with the quad and trailer. I was driving all day but I got stuck and the auld lad sat up while i pushed him out........but he forgot where the stoppers were and sure enough he drove into the drain in front of him. The irony was brilliant after I getting a tanning for getting stuck. Nearly fell with laughter:)

Photo0143.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Yet another disaster photo:rolleyes:

So we were putting out a few bags of turf in the bog today with the quad and trailer. I was driving all day but I got stuck and the auld lad sat up while i pushed him out........but he forgot where the stoppers were and sure enough he drove into the drain in front of him. The irony was brilliant after I getting a tanning for getting stuck. Nearly fell with laughter:)

Photo0143.jpg

Good crack, no one hurt maybe a bruised ego though... Ole lads!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Some pics from Farmfair in Edmonton today.
    No Cattle they are on tomorrow
    The trailer is 28 foot long and goes behind a pick up cost $27,000
    The horses will be competing in a pulling competition tomorrow but shown today and companies bid for sponsorship on them

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0067.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

Speed sorting

Animals marked 1 to 9 must be sorted in order
    Announcer picks a random number for them to start on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

red menace wrote: »
    Some pics from Farmfair in Edmonton today.
    No Cattle they are on tomorrow
    The horses will be competing in a pulling competition tomorrow but shown today and companies bid for sponsorship on them

Thanks Menace for posting pics. It's on my wishlist of holiday destinations to go to canada and see some of this cattle sorting for myself. I can't open the youtube links you posted :o

Those goosenecks are some trailers.

Bodacious wrote: »
    Good crack, no one hurt maybe a bruised ego though... Ole lads!!!!!

No thankfully. Good soft landing in the bog. I wont let him forget about it in a hurry:p God forbid it was me that did it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Pat the lad

Those goosenecks are some trailers.[/Quote]

would those goose neck trailers work off a fast track??????????

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    Thanks Menace for posting pics. It's on my wishlist of holiday destinations to go to canada and see some of this cattle sorting for myself. I can't open the youtube links you posted :o

Those goosenecks are some trailers.

Videos should work now!

It's canadian finals rodeo this wee so lots of everything going on this week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement