Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭DBK1

Yep I’d agree with all of that too, different systems suit different farms.

For anyone not trying to paying the mortgage or rear the family off the farm that gives the freedom to be able to have your money tied up for 12-18 months in an animal which also has the added bonus of less work. If the mortgage or household bills have to be paid from the farm then the short keep cattle could suit better as there’s a better cash flow.

Different strokes for different folks, there’d be no-one making money if we all done the same thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dh1985

Bass, on one hand your knocking a poster above for not knowing anything but his own system then on the other hand knocking other systems that differ from your own when it's evident you know damn all about them either.

The figures posted by DBK above for continental cattle are typical and not the 20% rule your stating. Top quality ch x lm cattle would likely be heavier even. Go to any mart in October and you can have your pick of them - at a fair and equitable price of course.

As for the CH x FR been better performers than a suckler bred animal, you would have to find a few first to make that comparison. Not too many dairy men using charolais bulls around here. chxfr are like hens teeth in these parts. In fact the Fr is becoming a sparse commodity not alone the chxfr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Finishing your own stock for a suckler man is the only game in town.

I don't do enough of it myself, slowly trying to get the setup right to be able to carry my own stock to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

A few years ago it was quoted if you were getting over €900 for a weanling, let them go. Anything less you’d be better finishing yourself. Is this still the same today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dunedin

some gibberish of an answer there!!!

from a point of dairy stock out performing suckler sock………

Here's my take on it,

If you're selling the weanling at the back end you've kept it's mother for 12 months to rear the calf with associated costs of that, the calf will have been conceived(buying bull/AI), tagged, dehorned, dosed, bvd tested, vaccinated maybe, and might have 6 weeks of ration ate, weaned, and last but not least your labour with the associated costs of all that.

In terms of workload, 80% of it is done by the suckler man, in terms of costs i'm guessing 80% of factory price is carried by the suckler man, if you're selling that animal for €900 you getting maybe 35% of finish price?

Buy selling the weanling you're adding another 2 middle men between you and the factory and they all want their cut, everyone is making a few bob off the suckler man, mart, co-op, vets, contractors, accountants, and by the time they all have their slice there's nothing left for the lad doing most of the work.

The last time i remember making a few bob out of them was when we finished our own bulls under 16 months.

To answer your question would €900 even keep a cow for 12 months? IMO probably not.

Anyone involved in livestock is earning their money be it dairy, beef, sheep whatever. Lots of cushy numbers out there in fdi jobs but there is a satisfaction in working with livestock and seeing animals performing well etc.

900 to keep a cow for the year. Seems a bit high. Does she have the heating on, the full sky package, eating bales year round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

There was a study done somewhere, showing the effect of loss in daily weight gain, of every move the beast makes thru a mart. It was taking on average 30 days to get back to the start weight pre move. Stress of haulage, hanging around a mart, and the biggest factor was when the got back to the new farm was re-establishment of social order.

Finishing sucklers is nearly a must unless the are the bees knees. You have the hard work and cost put into them getting them to yearlings stage, only for someone else to cream the only available margin off the beasts back

@SuperTortoise start small and maybe consider doing the heifers first. Have a good look at the cows and cull the bottom 10% ( underperformers and problems)

I was thinking about this over the day of the large number of average and underperforming weanlings that at sold. I feel the major crux of the issue, is breeding. Most farmers have a bull, let him off at the start of breeding and then pull him out 4 months later. Every cow in the herd has different strengths and weakness. No one bull will be able of fix this. Being more selective in the breeding of replacements, is probably the factor that will have the greatest impact. It's slow and will require the use of ai. But the benefits are huge

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Jim Simmental

Are the factories not competing for stock ready for the hook at the ring ?

if the suckler farmer could keep his stock to 24 months, would he not be better off letting them off in the mart ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Barron lad

I wonder about that too, I breed all my cows to AI Belgium blue bulls, I don't have many cows but I am increasing numbers slowly. This year I sold 9 bulls out of the yard to an exporter they were between 350kgs and 400kgs at 7-8 months old, 7 E grade bulls and 2 were U plus maybe they will feed into E grade bulls in time. I got €1,500 a head. They ate roughly €100 worth of meal and they ground they were ran on got very little fertilizer last Spring. One of those cows had a Charolais Bull the year before that I kept myself and is near fit to go now, He is a super bull and is going to kill out very close to 500kgs leaving his value at €2,700, he is after being kept for two winters and is after eating a good bit of meal as he is on adlib the last 90days. There is a lot of time, labour and investment gone in to get the extra €1,200 out of him. I think its easy see which is the most profitable system.

Just looking through the prices of store bullocks in Roscrea today,

Friesian’s from €2.14-€2.50 per kg,

hex and aax €2.50 - €2.90

Continentals €2.70 - €3.20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭kk.man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

All things been equal the continentals around €3 /kg would appear to be the the better bet because if they fall back as was seen last year the plainer cattle seem to fall back further and faster than continentals

I sold yearlings at €3/kg last spring, they were reared on silage/ grass/ meal that was substantially cheaper that the last 12 months.

I won't be selling this spring for 3 euro/kg or anywhere near it.

Teagasc had costings at €700 per annum several years ago, we costed her at €670 as a class exercise when I done my green cert also several years ago.

Silage making has more than doubled, fertiliser has tripled, meal has doubled, fixed costs such as electric has gone up, €900 for the year probably doesn't cover it.

It depends on the length of your winter. I aim for a 15 week winter max. I don’t use much esb, meal, diesel etc. I use fertiliser sparingly as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Agreed. Continental cattle aren’t bad value at €3 a kg when beef is heading for €5.50.

That is why I am saying they would look better value, but in fairness your cattle were probably near tops last year at €3 and this year they could make €3.20 - €3.40 /kg.

Post edited by Anto_Meath on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What do you call the other 15 weeks of crap weather?

I'm being slightly tongue in cheek..

Not by much though.

Most in 15 weeks and 3 days as of today.

They won't be going out this weekend.

I had them out till the end of November.

I have a good shot out at the minute.

Once had them out till mid December.

Average housing here is 3rd week of October and average turnout would be 1st week of May.

You'll get the odd exception to that but that would be the norm around here.

The suckler cows i keep would average 850Kg at turnout, you can't let them out until ground is right or you're chasing grass the rest of the year.

850 at turnout sounds heavy to me. They might be weaning heavy calves but are eating a fortune.

Teagasc suggest a bcs of 2+ at turnout for spring and autumn calvers.

If you opted for a lighter cow you might get out sooner and keep more cows etc.

Its not really a topic for here though.

I think current mart prices are high for January. I’d understand if it was a month later and people were buying for grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Talking to a suckler farmer a few weeks ago. He hung most his cows last year. They averaged over 2K each. I think he slaughter over 15 of them. He kept all his heifers and bulled them.

Slava Ukrainii

They're big framed cows, we've always kept bigger stock and i suppose the vast majority of cows we have reared ourselves.

The bigger cow i find gives more options at calving and as such you would'nt be afraid to put a CH or BB bull on them.

The ground around here gets so wet you would'nt let anything except weanlings out, anything heavier than that would do serious poaching on land.

As for current prices i still don't think they are tracking input costs or finish factory price, buyers may think stock dear but anyone selling yearlings or forward stores at €3/kg has nothing out of them. If my yearlings don't make 3.5/kg next March or April i'm going to try and keep them on to finish.

I think factory price will stay strong this year and i'd hope this will keep mart prices rising.

• Advertisement

It wouldn’t be a bad idea in the current market.

Sure cows probably max out weight wise at 5 years of age.

The joy of big cows is that if they don't work out you get decent money for them when you cull them. Friend gave €1,500 for a big incalf Lmx heifer Oct 21. She had a nice little heifer but no milk, sold the calf in Nov 22 for €750. Didn't put her back in calf and showed her in the Mart yesterday, 750 kgs, €2,160 & no meal. I though it was a good enough twist overall.

Thats the problem with these tanks of cows, they often lack milk. I’d prefer a handy sized cow with plenty of milk for the calf. You’d carry more of them as well

Not really, we’ve cows here ranging from 550kg to 900kg, the 900kg cow eats no more and maybe less than the 550kg cow. I also find a dairy cross (replacement calf kept for a cow) can be harder fed than the suckler bred ones. Milk depends on breeding of the cow

I can’t speak for them as calves but as weanlings I’d be seeing the very same thing as you are.

I could have a pen of bucket reared hex beside a pen of suckler bred continentals. The hex would be averaging 200-230 kgs and the continentals 300kgs and the same amount in each pen. Every day without fail the hex will have their silage ate and be standing at the barrier roaring for more when they see you. The continentals will have silage left in front of them and they’ll all be lying down chewing their cud and happy out.

Dairy beef stock without doubt consume far more feed than continentals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

How are you able to quantify that?

wven if you were measuring individual animal intake the energy needed for the 900kg cow to maintain condition is significantly more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Who2

ive been moving back to bigger framed cows after falling victim to listening to too much of the Teagasc crap.small cows are a disaster if you’re suckling. A well framed cow carrying condition going into the shed, feed her hay until a week or forthright pre calving and then onto silage and stay on that until she goes back to grass. Her body condition follows what she requires once it’s timed right and you have something of value that has the ability to produce top end animals and not always have to be worrying about calving.

the day of half dairy bred sucklers or even middle of the road types is over.750kg minimum cow weight is what I’m moving back to.

Well I would opt for a cow with decent milk and I wouldn’t be a fan of cows pushing a ton in weight. A very heavy cow stays in longer as well.

Breeding is important like you say. I’d prefer a good mix in genetics / breeds in the cow.

All cows seem expensive in the mart at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Wonder what the buffalo trade is like this year?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I base it on seeing them eat and amount of fodder consumed. I find a dry suckler cow calving in the Springtime can be quite low maintenance once they’ve been dried off before housing and have a bit of cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Who2

Minimum weight while rearing a calf. Somewhere around 8-850 kg is what I’m aiming for across the cows.

theres a friend of mine breeding serious charolais weanlings and most of his cows are 900kg plus , but he breeds for bone and power primarily.

Milk quantity is overrated, vastly.

The right breeding beats bags of milk in a suckler cow every day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

I see neighbours here messing with first cross dairy stock producing O grade weanlings and the only thing propping them up when they are sold is they can be bought cheap and the buyer has a nice twist out of them, that's why there is demand for that kind of stock.

If that's the route you want to go down you need to be going out 3-4 generations from the dairy cow at least.

900 kg cows would eat you out of house and home. 70 900kg cows will eat the same as 90 700kg cows ..... and you have 20 extra weanlings to sell at the end of the year.

What age do you aim to calf your replacements at?

There is a balance between milk and carcass traits. Going too extreme in either direction can lead to disappointment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Doing a few sums here on the cost of keeping and finishing cattle over winter.

I have dairy-cross stores (350-500kg) and I'm working off 20 of them eating a bale/day. If a bale costs me €30 to make, then that's €1.50/head/day, or €180 over 4 months.

For finishing, I'm giving 5kg/head. If finishing ration is €450/ton then that's 5*450/1000 = €2.25, or €112 for 50 days.

[Finished target heifer weight for me = 520kg. Current liveweight prices are €2.50-ish for this type of animal so sale price = €1,300]

Are these ball-park figures correct?

If so, is it insanity trying to finish such cattle over winter?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I would say you’re way too high in your silage prediction. Unless silage is very poor quality about half that should do them and even less when getting 5kgs of meal.

I had 52 stores in one shed, a mix of continentals and hex, and earlier in the winter when they would have been averaging around 450kgs and on silage only they were eating around 10 bales a week.

They’re getting closer to finishing stage now and they’re getting about 8kgs of fodder beet, and 2kgs of a home grown barley, HiPro soya and mineral mix and they’re only eating 6 bales of silage a week now.

Valuing my silage at €30 like you are that’s costing me just €1.85 per day in total. I’ll be weighing stock again in a couple of weeks so I’ll know for sure but I’d be expecting them to be gaining around 1kg per day at that feeding which at current mart prices is worth €2.70 - €3.30 per day.

I have my silage cost calculated at €40 per bale so in my circumstances what I’m currently feeding is costing me €2 per day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Ya a bale a day for 20 seems high and definitely when you start with 5kg a day. One thing about meal that may be overlooked when doing up sums is silage intake reduces a nice touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

28 stores are getting two days comfortably out of a bale with no mealls being fed. most in the pen would be friesians

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

Should I feed Meal to Friesian bullocks during summer grazing or is this uneconomical. Buying around 300 kg live and selling 7 months later hopefully over 500 kgs live. Will feeding the Meal eliminate profit margins?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Sat through Enniscorthy calf sales for the past few weeks and noticed that most of these jobbers come across as arseholes to say the least.

At the beginning of the sale they are shouting and roaring at each other during the first number of calves then they settle down and then the flashing the wads of cash at each other and then the phase turns to the nudge one another and have a quite few words and they no longer bid against one another as if quotas have to be achieved, auctioneer is having a good old laugh with them as they are filling the ringside while farmer joe is over to one side standing up with his arm in the air trying to bid on a BB heifer and the auctioneer never bothers his arse to look for anyone other than the jobbers (although I have NO proof I've see it a a few times with the same auctioneer in Enniscorthy , there are two of them, but one NEVER seems to look away from the boys whether it's a ploy to get them cheaper calves or what but it looks stinking).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Fine Day

I wouldn't anyways. Let them off on good grass and they will do fine. It will take a good Friesian to put on 200kg in 7 months at that age on grass. It's a kg per day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

+1 on the above. I can't see an average FR yearling doing 200 kg in 7 months on an average run even with meal. If on better ground then perhaps but then you'll hardly need the meal either. The next problem is that a 500kg Fr store in November isn't really a candidate for winter finishing imo without the next man horsing lots more meal into him. Be more likely to be overwintered and killed the following summer.

Those sort of weights fall between 2 stools at that time of year imo, they need too much meal to finish out of the shed and yet it's a long time to store them until the following spring. If you were interested in piling on the kilos on them and maybe supplementing at grass then I'd be inclined to buy a heavier yearling to begin with. If you had them circa 600kg at sale time then you'd have a different end product and clientele imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Maybe give them a bit a month before you sell them to warm them up but not the whole summer long. You’d be no better off and you wouldn’t be long getting sick of it.

• Advertisement

Can you bid online? You could do this even sitting ringside.

Advertisement