Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

BullBauld wrote: »
    Folks

What price would you expect to pay for a 5 month Angus bull?

Are they ok to go straight out to grass?

I'm still learning the trade here hence my very basic questions.

Thanks.

€400 circa for angus bulls from Fr cows. Depends on quality, of course.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

I haven't set up for online bidding yet. How reliable is it on the phone. I don't have WiFi?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

kk.man wrote: »
    I haven't set up for online bidding yet. How reliable is it on the phone. I don't have WiFi?

No problem on my phone, a moderate enough smart phone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

kk.man wrote: »

Waste of time unless your internet is good. Works fine off 3G or 4g if reception is good

At the mart today and 90% of the farmers not wearing a mask. Saw some lads in their late 70s or so and no mask on. Seriously? Everyone in the shops wear them so why not around the mart?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

At the mart today and 90% of the farmers not wearing a mask. Saw some lads in their late 70s or so and no mask on. Seriously? Everyone in the shops wear them so why not around the mart?

Because there are some thick f@@kers around. It is simply down to that. Management at marts are not the brightest either in general. If they had someone going around instructing them to wear them and if not instruct them to leave the mart

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Because there are some thick f@@kers around. It is simply down to that. Management at marts are not the brightest either in general. If they had someone going around instructing them to wear them and if not instruct them to leave the mart

Every new case out there now is because someone acted the brat. everyone knows what to do and a lot think they're too smart to do it .
    It just hasn't got bad enough yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Everybody had them in my local mart but they were all Dow. Round their chins. Dealers packed round the ring again.

I turned around and left.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Marts fault

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

The sheep sale on a Monday is just as bad & there's an older demographic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

While we're on the topic of marts, there used to be a time when you could cancel your entries for a sale if you gave enough notice, now you get charged regardless. Is this standard in every Mart or just ennis?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Jb1989

How was prices?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Most marts I frequent have a person(s) tasked with doing just that. In my experience those that aren't interested in complying without being reprimanded often won't act any different when asked to do so. Mart management isn't an easy job at the best of times and Covid has added an entirely new workload that was non existent before hand. It's all very well saying that X,Y or Z should be implemented but it's totally different when your tasked with actually enforcing it. That's not to say everyone hasn't there part to play but I've daily experience of dealing with some of the most awkward individuals God ever put into skin both inside and outside of farming. Some lads are hard work and will always do it there way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Most marts I frequent have a person(s) tasked with doing just that. In my experience those that aren't interested in complying without being reprimanded often won't act any different when asked to do so. Mart management isn't an easy job at the best of times and Covid has added an entirely new workload that was non existent before hand. It's all very well saying that X,Y or Z should be implemented but it's totally different when your tasked with actually enforcing it. That's not to say everyone hasn't there part to play but I've daily experience of dealing with some of the most awkward individuals God ever put into skin both inside and outside of farming. Some lads are hard work and will always do it there way.

Went to a calf sale a few months back, young girl given the job of COVID
    I thought it was unfair, should of been the Mart manager or yard manager with Auctioneer ready to stop proceeding if people weren’t complying

Jb1989 wrote: »
    How was prices?
    I was only delivering for a relative. Just dropped off and a quick bite in the restaurant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Went to a calf sale a few months back, young girl given the job of COVID
    I thought it was unfair, should of been the Mart manager or yard manager with Auctioneer ready to stop proceeding if people weren’t complying

Very poor reflection of whoever shoved her out front

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I was only delivering for a relative. Just dropped off and a quick bite in the restaurant.

Same as that. Was a big que at the ticket office this morning and I was the only one wearing a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

No dealing with ignorance

I have worked in many area's. H&S was always a chore to get lads to comply. A big sign say ''no bids taken for anyone not in there designated seat and not wearing a mask''. Then refuse to take bids off them. Big sign on the way in ''wear your mask''. It as easy as that. Mart manager around the floor enforcing and telling lads to leave. Lads always try to stretch the rules.

You will not be allowed onto a building site without your protective gear and without a valid safe pass. If you are caught without your hi-vis vest or helmet or your are send home, you boss is notified. I have seen lads barred from work sites for misdemeanor's. Once on a ESB site two lads left tool's behind them, they realized it on the way home and turned back. They tried the COW who'es phone was off. They saw the gear on the ground inside the gate. They put there ladder up against the gate, and the second half inside the gate and climbed over got there gear and left. There boss nearly lost the contract the following morning. The whole place was covered by camera's. They were made aware previously that access to site was by a COW's and he had to be on site at all time. The contract was held onto but the two lads involved were not allowed onto that site again for the duration of that contract. Nobody in that outfit would disobey a site rule by any company again as there boss would sack them on the spot now and they are aware of that.

It the same with mask's and distancing in marts if rules are enforced lads cop on after a while. No mask no bid is a simple rule

Slava Ukrainii

Same as that. Was a big que at the ticket office this morning and I was the only one wearing a mask.

Ya, the guy I dropped them of for was with me and he got out to get the numbers. He came back laughing saying mad Queue there and he he the only only one wearing the mask. Canteen queue out the door too and not one with a mask on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Ya, the guy I dropped them of for was with me and he got out to get the numbers. He came back laughing saying mad Queue there and he he the only only one wearing the mask. Canteen queue out the door too and not one with a mask on.

I was very surprised outside our primary school this week no one wearing masks.
    In our local mart it was 99% complience. You'd look like a prcik not wearing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,159 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I have worked in many area's. H&S was always a chore to get lads to comply. A big sign say ''no bids taken for anyone not in there designated seat and not wearing a mask''. Then refuse to take bids off them. Big sign on the way in ''wear your mask''. It as easy as that. Mart manager around the floor enforcing and telling lads to leave. Lads always try to stretch the rules.

You will not be allowed onto a building site without your protective gear and without a valid safe pass. If you are caught without your hi-vis vest or helmet or your are send home, you boss is notified. I have seen lads barred from work sites for misdemeanor's. Once on a ESB site two lads left tool's behind them, they realized it on the way home and turned back. They tried the COW who'es phone was off. They saw the gear on the ground inside the gate. They put there ladder up against the gate, and the second half inside the gate and climbed over got there gear and left. There boss nearly lost the contract the following morning. The whole place was covered by camera's. They were made aware previously that access to site was by a COW's and he had to be on site at all time. The contract was held onto but the two lads involved were not allowed onto that site again for the duration of that contract. Nobody in that outfit would disobey a site rule by any company again as there boss would sack them on the spot now and they are aware of that.

It the same with mask's and distancing in marts if rules are enforced lads cop on after a while. No mask no bid is a simple rule
    I've been to two different marts and a factory since early Monday morning. Other than mart staff there was only a handful of people wearing masks dropping/collecting and queuing for numbers at both marts. Both marts had clear Covid signage and hand sanitisers in place. The factory was a different story with everyone wearing masks unloading their cattle - two farmers with their jeeps/trailers and a man with a lorry and drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Murang

We’re the mart staff wearing masks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I'm not trying to counter any of your points as they're all valid and it's not a big ask for lad's to wear a mask while on the premises. However it's slightly different when the person's involved are your customers and not employee's. Some lads are strange and they'll vote with there future business if there displeased with something the mart did or didn't do. I'll leave it at that because the argument is weighted against me and rightly so.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    I was very surprised outside our primary school this week no one wearing masks.
    In our local mart it was 99% complience. You'd look like a prcik not wearing one.

That’s the way it needs to be for it to work

How did the whole roan thing explode in the past 12-18 months?

'An rud is annamh is iontach'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,159 ✭✭✭✭Base price

How did the whole roan thing explode in the past 12-18 months?
    It's nothing new.
    I remember as a child my Grandad getting very good money for roan heifers in the 70's - they were know as blue/greys.

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to counter any of your points as they're all valid and it's not a big ask for lad's to wear a mask while on the premises. However it's slightly different when the person's involved are your customers and not employee's. Some lads are strange and they'll vote with there future business if there displeased with something the mart did or didn't do. I'll leave it at that because the argument is weighted against me and rightly so.

I just get fed up with stroke politics. There is always some lad willing to start vending the rules and then everyone has to. It not just over COVID regs.

Look at the stroke that the manager of Gortnalea mart pulled. He has used GDPR as an excuse not to put up owner name on online sales, so now 3-4 other marts gave copied it. There is no legal basis for it but it a nice stroke to.pull.

It was the same with the D2 pub/restaurant in Dublin everybody know the rules but hey maybe I can bend them for a boozy brunch.

What will pubs do in two weeks time when there customers arrive back in. Tommy always sat at the corner of the bar as sure it no harm,. Pa thinks it's ok for him to go from table to table he a customer so we cannot offend him.

I know where you are coming from AJ but if marts are closed down for 3-4 weeks in October/November it will be havoc. Marts are no different to meat factories they have to start enforcing the rules. If the HSE turned up and closed 2-3 of them mid sale maybe the managers would cop on then.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement