Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭kk.man

That's all very well if you are breeding suckler charley beef but when you are like me I cant make a margin on them (most years) so I have to revert to FR cattle. I'm not in anyway proud but I am practical. If you bought the above suckler cattle i dont think you would last long as an independent trader between feedlots and 'posh' farmers they are welcome to them. There would probably be a margin in them long term but i prefer short term cattle. I know i am not much use to the suckler beef man but that's the market.

In and around Kilkenny there is a good bit of British Friesian in dairy herds. I have had some and they are fantastic animals. I have to say when crossed with HO is not the end of the world either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’ve no cows, all my stock are bought in. I wouldn’t be in any way proud and certainly not “posh” either. I have O- grade hex eating at the same barrier as U+ limousines, there’s no favourites in this yard!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Them cattle would have got very little meal. 1kg over their first winter (4 months as stop meal 1 before before turnout) and then 2kg 6/7 weeks before killing so around 150kgs in total - around €60-70 a head max. No meal in second winter and finished off grass under 30 months

on good grass on a paddock set up. They’d be moved every 5-7 days depending on growth. Farm is also in one full block which is a massive help

I’ll never deny there is a lot of work with sucklers between calving, tagging, dehorning, getting calves going, weaning, etc. but they always leave a margin for me so don’t accept the blanket line that sucklers lose money.

equally I don’t run down other systems either as you work to suit yourself and your set up.

DBK1 not suggesting you are the above. I'm just saying I cant make a margin out of fancy stock as the ringside prices are mad. If cattle had to remain at 4.80 would you have made a margin to justify such stock? This year is unusual the winter finisher will get rewarded as the is a price rise of 50c between now and last November.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I go back to it every system is different. It's very hard to procure the type of cattle you produce. Less that 20% of suckler bred cattle are that quality O imagine. IIfyou breed that type of animal you would be crazy to sell them you should take them to slaughter.

The advantage of a FrXCh is his ability to consume grass. While not as efficient as your or as a Ch off a HE or an AA cow he will eat a sight more grass every day.

There are lads out there farmers with no children or children not interested in farming. On a sixty acre farm they might buy 40 bullocks in the spring and will keep all summer long. They will take a a cut of silage but the rest of the time they want cattle to consume grass

Those big ChXFr will often keep gaining up on 2kgs/ from late March to mid August maybe a tad more at time. Your nice efficient top quality animal will not do that as he will not keep the quality in the grass as he will not eat enough of it.

He will hang 10 in August, another ten in September and the last will be hung throughout October early November. I know a lad that used to do similar with friesian's as well until he was over 80.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

At todays ringside prices it’s hard to see how money will be made, factory prices can’t keep rising forever. But that is equally the case for any grade of stock at present. Store friesian’s are making over €2 per kg, hex and AAx are anything from €2.50-€2.80, someone has to get burnt eventually. The excellent profits that are currently being made from stock bought 12 plus months ago may need to be retained to cover the loss that could be made whenever factory prices drop and the current expensive stores and weanlings are being killed at a loss.

I never get too hung up on profit per head, obviously you want that figure as high as possible, but one man could be making €200 per head and his enterprise could be more profitable than the lad that’s making €800 per head. If the €200 man is turning over cattle in 90 days and the €800 man is keeping them for 18 months to get that then the €200 man is far more profitable. Profit needs to be measured against more than one factor, say profit per head per year, or profit per head per acre per year to have a true value. To go further then I’d even say an average over a few years should be looked at as there are so many peaks and troughs in beef prices that if you were to change your system every time your profits change you’d be on a different system every few months.

I completely concur with you on this post. I'm like your 200e per head man in the above example.

There is a burning coming its only when it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If you are only making 200/ head gross in any turnover unless you are going direct to the factory with cattle you are at nothing.

Mary and slaughter fees now exceed 20/ head. Transport costs for a lad in the Marts two days a week is probably hitting 20 per head. Bigger jeep bigger trailer.

Sold my 8X5 box 15 years old and bought a 10X8 late last year. Difference was 3700 euro. Only put a few tyres on the old box. RAV dose 39 mpg without the trailer and 26 with it on. Have it four years next summer cost me 7k and only put front shocks, rear droplinks, a wiper motor other than general servicing.

Those lads that are turning cattle ever 3 months live in Mart's, it's there full time job. Where they make most of there money is buying factory fit cattle and slaughtering them. They cleaned up on cows last year's.

Slava Ukrainii

I never said or suggested it was a gross figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭k mac

Have 12 nice heifers, 8 limousine with 3 charollais and 1 angus, average 345 kilos and average 17 months old. What would they make now in the mart or at home, thinking of off loading if prices are strong. Are would i be better waiting until the 7 month men are buying in march/april.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

Agree with most of the above but it all boils down to a system that suits the farmers setup and off-farm commitments. To handle such a flow of cattle you need great housing, handling and transport facilities (I don't have). Buying cattle I find is very time consuming also.

I have a full time job Mon-Fri and its not feasible with my setup to be constantly in and out with cattle. I buy middle of the road HEX/AAX/FR/LMX yearlings in Mar-May at 300-330kg and kill the following May-Jul at 350kg+ DW with on average less that 120kg of ration fed. Very little work with them once they get used to the setup and very little risk as I'm not buying expensive stores.

You'd have a better profit/head/acre but you also have higher level of investment both in terms of time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

My grass bullocks last back end left a margin of over €1050. They were on the farm less than a year, had one winter and ate €100 of meal before finishing.

I killed suckler bred bulls at Christmas that left a margin of €1350. They were on the farm 9 months and ate a little over a tonne of meal.

No friesian that I could buy around here would do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭KAMG

This is exactly the same system I have. And I buy 80% of my yearlings from the same man each year. Last year, my average sale price was over €1,800 and average purchase price was €700.

Now, this year, those that averaged €700 last year are all to be sold off grass, hopefully from late May on. I have Nil in meal costs. All silage and grass here. I hope to have over half gone by end of June. The big unknown at the moment is the cost of this years yearlings.

I buy mostly HEX or AAX. A few LMX and the odd JEX. Its only a hobby for me really. I have long ago figured out that the less time you spend farming, the more profit you make.

i was referring to profit as in what you have left after cost’s. Mart and slaughter fees, jeep and trailer etc. would all be classed as expenses so would be accounted for before you get your profit figure.

You may be confusing gross and net profit.

Yep I’d agree with all of that too, different systems suit different farms.

For anyone not trying to paying the mortgage or rear the family off the farm that gives the freedom to be able to have your money tied up for 12-18 months in an animal which also has the added bonus of less work. If the mortgage or household bills have to be paid from the farm then the short keep cattle could suit better as there’s a better cash flow.

Different strokes for different folks, there’d be no-one making money if we all done the same thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Bass, on one hand your knocking a poster above for not knowing anything but his own system then on the other hand knocking other systems that differ from your own when it's evident you know damn all about them either.

The figures posted by DBK above for continental cattle are typical and not the 20% rule your stating. Top quality ch x lm cattle would likely be heavier even. Go to any mart in October and you can have your pick of them - at a fair and equitable price of course.

As for the CH x FR been better performers than a suckler bred animal, you would have to find a few first to make that comparison. Not too many dairy men using charolais bulls around here. chxfr are like hens teeth in these parts. In fact the Fr is becoming a sparse commodity not alone the chxfr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Finishing your own stock for a suckler man is the only game in town.

I don't do enough of it myself, slowly trying to get the setup right to be able to carry my own stock to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

A few years ago it was quoted if you were getting over €900 for a weanling, let them go. Anything less you’d be better finishing yourself. Is this still the same today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Dunedin

some gibberish of an answer there!!!

from a point of dairy stock out performing suckler sock………

• Advertisement

Here's my take on it,

If you're selling the weanling at the back end you've kept it's mother for 12 months to rear the calf with associated costs of that, the calf will have been conceived(buying bull/AI), tagged, dehorned, dosed, bvd tested, vaccinated maybe, and might have 6 weeks of ration ate, weaned, and last but not least your labour with the associated costs of all that.

In terms of workload, 80% of it is done by the suckler man, in terms of costs i'm guessing 80% of factory price is carried by the suckler man, if you're selling that animal for €900 you getting maybe 35% of finish price?

Buy selling the weanling you're adding another 2 middle men between you and the factory and they all want their cut, everyone is making a few bob off the suckler man, mart, co-op, vets, contractors, accountants, and by the time they all have their slice there's nothing left for the lad doing most of the work.

The last time i remember making a few bob out of them was when we finished our own bulls under 16 months.

To answer your question would €900 even keep a cow for 12 months? IMO probably not.

Anyone involved in livestock is earning their money be it dairy, beef, sheep whatever. Lots of cushy numbers out there in fdi jobs but there is a satisfaction in working with livestock and seeing animals performing well etc.

900 to keep a cow for the year. Seems a bit high. Does she have the heating on, the full sky package, eating bales year round?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

There was a study done somewhere, showing the effect of loss in daily weight gain, of every move the beast makes thru a mart. It was taking on average 30 days to get back to the start weight pre move. Stress of haulage, hanging around a mart, and the biggest factor was when the got back to the new farm was re-establishment of social order.

Finishing sucklers is nearly a must unless the are the bees knees. You have the hard work and cost put into them getting them to yearlings stage, only for someone else to cream the only available margin off the beasts back

@SuperTortoise start small and maybe consider doing the heifers first. Have a good look at the cows and cull the bottom 10% ( underperformers and problems)

I was thinking about this over the day of the large number of average and underperforming weanlings that at sold. I feel the major crux of the issue, is breeding. Most farmers have a bull, let him off at the start of breeding and then pull him out 4 months later. Every cow in the herd has different strengths and weakness. No one bull will be able of fix this. Being more selective in the breeding of replacements, is probably the factor that will have the greatest impact. It's slow and will require the use of ai. But the benefits are huge

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Jim Simmental

Are the factories not competing for stock ready for the hook at the ring ?

if the suckler farmer could keep his stock to 24 months, would he not be better off letting them off in the mart ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Barron lad

I wonder about that too, I breed all my cows to AI Belgium blue bulls, I don't have many cows but I am increasing numbers slowly. This year I sold 9 bulls out of the yard to an exporter they were between 350kgs and 400kgs at 7-8 months old, 7 E grade bulls and 2 were U plus maybe they will feed into E grade bulls in time. I got €1,500 a head. They ate roughly €100 worth of meal and they ground they were ran on got very little fertilizer last Spring. One of those cows had a Charolais Bull the year before that I kept myself and is near fit to go now, He is a super bull and is going to kill out very close to 500kgs leaving his value at €2,700, he is after being kept for two winters and is after eating a good bit of meal as he is on adlib the last 90days. There is a lot of time, labour and investment gone in to get the extra €1,200 out of him. I think its easy see which is the most profitable system.

Just looking through the prices of store bullocks in Roscrea today,

Friesian’s from €2.14-€2.50 per kg,

hex and aax €2.50 - €2.90

Continentals €2.70 - €3.20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

All things been equal the continentals around €3 /kg would appear to be the the better bet because if they fall back as was seen last year the plainer cattle seem to fall back further and faster than continentals

• Advertisement

I sold yearlings at €3/kg last spring, they were reared on silage/ grass/ meal that was substantially cheaper that the last 12 months.

I won't be selling this spring for 3 euro/kg or anywhere near it.

Advertisement