Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

Base price wrote: »
    It's nothing new.
    I remember as a child my Grandad getting very good money for roan heifers in the 70's - they were know as blue/greys.

I remember a cow I owned here as a young boy. She had an amazing bull calf. Blue gray in colour. Forget what weight or price he got as a weanling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I just get fed up with stroke politics. There is always some lad willing to start vending the rules and then everyone has to. It not just over COVID regs.

Look at the stroke that the manager of Gortnalea mart pulled. He has used GDPR as an excuse not to put up owner name on online sales, so now 3-4 other marts gave copied it. There is no legal basis for it but it a nice stroke to.pull.

It was the same with the D2 pub/restaurant in Dublin everybody know the rules but hey maybe I can bend them for a boozy brunch.

What will pubs do in two weeks time when there customers arrive back in. Tommy always sat at the corner of the bar as sure it no harm,. Pa thinks it's ok for him to go from table to table he a customer so we cannot offend him.

I know where you are coming from AJ but if marts are closed down for 3-4 weeks in October/November it will be havoc. Marts are no different to meat factories they have to start enforcing the rules. If the HSE turned up and closed 2-3 of them mid sale maybe the managers would cop on then.

People will obey when it get's bad enough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I just get fed up with stroke politics. There is always some lad willing to start vending the rules and then everyone has to. It not just over COVID regs.

Look at the stroke that the manager of Gortnalea mart pulled. He has used GDPR as an excuse not to put up owner name on online sales, so now 3-4 other marts gave copied it. There is no legal basis for it but it a nice stroke to.pull.

It was the same with the D2 pub/restaurant in Dublin everybody know the rules but hey maybe I can bend them for a boozy brunch.

What will pubs do in two weeks time when there customers arrive back in. Tommy always sat at the corner of the bar as sure it no harm,. Pa thinks it's ok for him to go from table to table he a customer so we cannot offend him.

I know where you are coming from AJ but if marts are closed down for 3-4 weeks in October/November it will be havoc. Marts are no different to meat factories they have to start enforcing the rules. If the HSE turned up and closed 2-3 of them mid sale maybe the managers would cop on then.

What does owner name matter

• Registered Users Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What does owner name matter

There is a few ones I prefer to keep my hands in my pocket when there cattle come in.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

There is a bit of a difference between a Mart displaying name and address, on a rolling screen at the point of sale, which disappears off the screen after the sale. With online sales that information stays online for a week and was being abused by people taking screen grabs and discussing the sale information online, complete with owners name and address.. OK if it is your own information but an abuse if it not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭DBK1

There is a few ones I prefer to keep my hands in my pocket when there cattle come in.
    Plus 1 on that but also there are owners who’s stock you like to buy based on the results of having their stock in previous years. I buy the majority of my stock in Gortatlea and it’s disappointing not to be able to see the names.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I think a return to 100% online bidding is almost unavoidable for the autumn and would probably be for the best. It's next to impossible to regulate the public at the ringside so it would be easier imo to remove them from that environment and therefore eradicate the problem. Online bidding worked very well during the country wide lock down in the spring and I can't see why it wouldn't work equally as well now.

As for the seller's information on the sales board I think it should be done away with in all marts. Yes I'd agree there's certain individuals I wouldn't willing buy stock off for whatever reason. However those sort of lad's are well aware of this problem and will attempt to hide the fact that there showing cattle. Usually they either don't hand in the cards until after the sale so there's no info on the board or will use another herd number and name to sell there stock in. Maybe I'm just a private individual but the idea of having my name and address on display for the majority of nosy bastards to comment upon both ringside and online isn't something I find overly appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

If the biggest problem anyone has is “nosy bastards” talking about their name and address or how much their cattle made in the mart then it’s well for them they haven’t got any real problems to worry about.
    You couldn’t make this shyte up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

First thing I always look at is the name and address. You would be wary of buying off dealers. Their buddies tend to puff up the prices.
    In Clare too, cattle from the Burren area would get a premium and cattle from Limerick would be considered pampered on good land.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

It'll be interesting to see if any mart starts to display the TB "risk" status of sellers, seeing as some don't even display the seller's name.

I noticed one company already including "C10 risk level" when advertising stock online.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

It'll be interesting to see if any mart starts to display the TB "risk" status of sellers, seeing as some don't even display the seller's name.

I noticed one company already including "C10 risk level" when advertising stock online.

If they were C1 I wonder would they be as eager to put it up

First thing I always look at is the name and address. You would be wary of buying off dealers. Their buddies tend to puff up the prices.
    In Clare too, cattle from the Burren area would get a premium and cattle from Limerick would be considered pampered on good land.

Sure the address is still there

Reggie. wrote: »
    If they were C1 I wonder would they be as eager to put it up

That's exactly it. Will buyers assume there's a TB risk if C10 is not displayed?

The Dept might claim C10 would add a premium but in reality, this latest brain fart will reduce cattle prices and drive more cattle direct to the factory and away from the mart.

If mart managers want lads to sell cattle at their marts, then they shouldn't put them off by having a policy of displaying the supposed risk.

tanko wrote: »
    If the biggest problem anyone has is “nosy bastards” talking about their name and address or how much their cattle made in the mart then it’s well for them they haven’t got any real problems to worry about.
    You couldn’t make this shyte up.

I suppose they could be ignorant bastard's with problems at home for all I know, you wouldn't have to go to the mart either to find the like. I get that most lad's don't like dealer's cattle for various reasons and there's a few I wouldn't buy off willingly either. However I still would be in favor of ditching the names and specific addresses off the board. Perhaps the town or county line could be kept but do away with the rest. I know that there won't be many in agreement with me on this but nobody comes to tell me there business so I don't see the point in broadcasting mine to everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Don't know what the fuss is over the Department tb letters. Maybe just the new president looking like he's doing something.

If cattle buyers start getting fussy over this alone,cattle would soon get scarce for them leaving the good ones even dearer

Can't say i ever see the mad ones,horned ones being discounted for same, so don't see this being a issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭older by the day

I only buy in my breeding bull, maybe 1 or 2 animals every couple of years. But it is the first question I ask is about disease. I'm be asking for tb status. Things are hard enough with out getting reactors. I know that everyone gets a run of it but you don't want to buy it in either

Red lim heifer with white belly, 275 kg 1370

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭older by the day

No brexit worries there

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

No brexit worries there

How does a 270 kg heifer make 1300
    Just curious here ...is it stars or what is it

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Maybe their looking for the next Cork mascot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

richie123 wrote: »

That's what I can't understand. I saw finished char heifers struggle to make that in the mart. :mad:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

richie123 wrote: »

I'm assuming she's gone for breeding? Those real fancy type colored heifer's are always in demand at any weight. If you get 2 determined buyer's then the sky is the limit. A lot of those types go North of the border as the exchange rate usually favors northern buyers. A breeding animal is harder to value as you'll hopefully have numerous sale's of there progeny as opposed to one pay day with a beef animal. Then there's the lads that always have to own the best of everything regardless of price.

I'm assuming she's gone for breeding? Those real fancy type colored heifer's are always in demand at any weight. If you get 2 determined buyer's then the sky is the limit. A lot of those types go North of the border as the exchange rate usually favors northern buyers. A breeding animal is harder to value as you'll hopefully have numerous sale's of there progeny as opposed to one pay day with a beef animal. Then there's the lads that always have to own the best of everything regardless of price.

She wasnt going north, lovely sweet heifer, white belly and deep red hairy, nicely muscled, will make a great springer in time
    2 lads were going hell for leather at her,

Heading to Dungarvan mart tomorrow with 10 Fr and 2 He cattle. 18-ish months old. Hoping they’re around the 450kg mark.

Will let ye know how they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Heading to Dungarvan mart tomorrow with 10 Fr and 2 He cattle. 18-ish months old. Hoping they’re around the 450kg mark.

Will let ye know how they go.

Best of luck

She wasnt going north, lovely sweet heifer, white belly and deep red hairy, nicely muscled, will make a great springer in time
    2 lads were going hell for leather at her,

Provided she's the real deal as regards quality then the price isn't that far out imo. I'd never give it for that type of a heifer but there's plenty who would. A real good springer heifer coming near calving is currently making €2200-€2500 and they'll most likely get dearer when lad's sell weanlings and get the first of the BPS money. As with every enterprise there's pitfalls but would she be worth circa €2300 springing down this time 2 year's? I'll be buying bull weanlings at around €700 shortly for a neighbor and he'll be doing well to get €1600 for them in 2 year's time. Granted there's extra work and expense with a springer as opposed to dry stock and a certain percentage of those heifer's won't go incalf and will only be worth beef price. It's a gamble as with everything but there's lad's willing to try it.

Your on the money today albert as usual.

I wonder which one of them 2 bidding men are the happier after that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I dunno how the numbers work lads, 90% of the time unless they're show cattle dairy lads wouldn't pay those prices for stock. Of the return is so poor from beef it must be off farm paying for the stock at that money and it all ends up supporting Larry and co. Fair enough if it is a side interest but in terms of getting a return it doesn't make sense

Provided she's the real deal as regards quality then the price isn't that far out imo. I'd never give it for that type of a heifer but there's plenty who would. A real good springer heifer coming near calving is currently making €2200-€2500 and they'll most likely get dearer when lad's sell weanlings and get the first of the BPS money. As with every enterprise there's pitfalls but would she be worth circa €2300 springing down this time 2 year's? I'll be buying bull weanlings at around €700 shortly for a neighbor and he'll be doing well to get €1600 for them in 2 year's time. Granted there's extra work and expense with a springer as opposed to dry stock and a certain percentage of those heifer's won't go incalf and will only be worth beef price. It's a gamble as with everything but there's lad's willing to try it.

She wasn't a great heifer but sweet,

• Advertisement

Cattle marts are awash with money from non farming related activities in my opinion. Business men with a interest/tradesmen with good wages and the bit of land and undoubtedly other sources too

Advertisement