Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

Danzy wrote: »
    Saw him at a talk one time, he ran a tight ship.

I was just thinking about this the other day, I used to go to fair few open days on top class farms, almost all of these guys have changed to dairy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭orm0nd

orm0nd wrote: »
    Seems a fair price for sale at home and I wouldn't be taking any less. Knew there were hex weanlins entered in Newport to day. I was bidding on line and got blown out.

This was what I was up against, got nice lmX heifers a couple of weeks back for a few euro more

https://www.livestock-live.com/MartMemberAccess/Market/MartCatalogue?Mart=NEWPORT&op=detail&SearchAuctionDayID=0&SearchAuctionID=293061

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

This was what I was up against, got nice lmX heifers a couple of weeks back for a few euro more

https://www.livestock-live.com/MartMemberAccess/Market/MartCatalogue?Mart=NEWPORT&op=detail&SearchAuctionDayID=0&SearchAuctionID=293061

Nice Hex weanlings but 560, they mustn't be making more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭trg

You stop ration 6-8 weeks pre turn out if you are putting to grass yourself. I cost bale silage at 25/bale but it dry silage cut in late May and early August. 50 of them type of cattle would struggle to finish a bale in a day at start of winter.on a kg of ration. In March expect 40 to need at least a bake. I expect not to have to house until early November and have back to grass 20th March at the latest. 80c/ day at start of winter and 65c/ day for last eight weeks. I allowing 30c/ day for a good ration 18% protein topped up with mins and bits. From now to housing a kg of ration per day.
    110euro per head would be my costings to carry them Inc dosing . If the silage was really dry you be down near the 100.

What minerals you use for weanlings Bass?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

jfh wrote: »
    I was just thinking about this the other day, I used to go to fair few open days on top class farms, almost all of these guys have changed to dairy

you have to question lads changing now. john Hume on the Good Friday Agreement '' sunningdale for slow learners''. Sucklers as a fulltime option on good land was dependent on a large BFP for the last 5+ years.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭DBK1

That’s €2.51 per kilo, crazy money for them type of stock. I bought a mix of R+ and U grade limousines in Gortatlea during the week averaging out at €2.29 a kilo. From 270 to 330 kilos weight. The best value being a 330kg R grade at €630.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

you have to question lads changing now. john Hume on the Good Friday Agreement '' sunningdale for slow learners''. Sucklers as a fulltime option on good land was dependent on a large BFP for the last 5+ years.

Why question lads changing now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Grueller wrote: »

The man in Cordal was working off farm as well.

trg wrote: »
    What minerals you use for weanlings Bass?

I use the general purpose beef from dairygold

Slava Ukrainii

DBK1 wrote: »
    That’s €2.51 per kilo, crazy money for them type of stock. I bought a mix of R+ and U grade limousines in Gortatlea during the week averaging out at €2.29 a kilo. From 270 to 330 kilos weight. The best value being a 330kg R grade at €630.

Probably some lad that buys a few ever year as suckler's. If he bid online they not know it was him. He probably spend 5-10 minutes looking at them and went over and back to that pen 3-4 times. It called advertising.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Grueller wrote: »

If you look at what I posted I said fulltime. Lads. Writing was on the wall for suckler's for 5years now. Fulltime lads only changing now are 5yeats older age is a problem with changing. Lad I know hinted it to me the other day. Single man 47/48years of age and farm would need complete overall as well as 70acres and some heavy land.

Lads that were working I can understand but I see them changing to drystock mainly unless.like you they decide to change to fulltime. I think to many changing to dairying will be a culture shock about how much you are tied to farm. On bigger platforms where lads go to 120 cows I think management and farm labour issues will be a huge problem.

I was talking to a lad the other day. He milks a few cows, has a few chicken houses and a small beef operation. He be in the mart now and again. His opinion the days of lads hanging around marts is finished. He thinks that online has changed the economics of it. Mind you he said that even before online the bigger finisher was in trouble. The economics of pouring 250/ton+ ration down the throat of cattle is questionable. This he said is finishing the 70-100day man. Online is finishing his ability to pick up value cattle or slaughter ready cattle that he make 50/head on and pay for his time in the mart.

Some father and son or sons finishing operations have one of them fulltime going to the marts and hauling cattle. Most cannot compete with dairy for decent banks of land so end up with small bit or land with very poor access and fencing or faculties and are struggling to make a margin.

He said that in 3-4years marts will be selling.70%+, online and mainly sellers will be in the mart. This may mean that more lads will mover over to longer-term cattle either weanling to finish or light store to finish

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭orm0nd

DBK1 wrote: »

I wasn't there but a friend texted me a couple of lot numbers he thought might suit me, he told me last night they were weighting a bit heavy for their size as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

If you look at what I posted I said fulltime. Lads. Writing was on the wall for suckler's for 5years now. Fulltime lads only changing now are 5yeats older age is a problem with changing. Lad I know hinted it to me the other day. Single man 47/48years of age and farm would need complete overall as well as 70acres and some heavy land.

Lads that were working I can understand but I see them changing to drystock mainly unless.like you they decide to change to fulltime. I think to many changing to dairying will be a culture shock about how much you are tied to farm. On bigger platforms where lads go to 120 cows I think management and farm labour issues will be a huge problem.

I was talking to a lad the other day. He milks a few cows, has a few chicken houses and a small beef operation. He be in the mart now and again. His opinion the days of lads hanging around marts is finished. He thinks that online has changed the economics of it. Mind you he said that even before online the bigger finisher was in trouble. The economics of pouring 250/ton+ ration down the throat of cattle is questionable. This he said is finishing the 70-100day man. Online is finishing his ability to pick up value cattle or slaughter ready cattle that he make 50/head on and pay for his time in the mart.

Some father and son or sons finishing operations have one of them fulltime going to the marts and hauling cattle. Most cannot compete with dairy for decent banks of land so end up with small bit or land with very poor access and fencing or faculties and are struggling to make a margin.

He said that in 3-4years marts will be selling.70%+, online and mainly sellers will be in the mart. This may mean that more lads will mover over to longer-term cattle either weanling to finish or light store to finish
    if nothing else the cost of going to the mart is too much. for the margin in beef.on top of the capital cost of box and jeep taking and bringing home in diesel,fees and time cattle could be 50 euro an animal-the margin just isnt in it.i know a couple of beef finishers and assembling cattle would take more than half their working week between marts andcalling to yards to look at cattle and drawing them home and fecking around with permits cards and checks.really the only time a beef should move is as a calf and then to the factory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭20silkcut

It was Seamus Mallon came up with” sunningdale for slow learners “ but yes good analogy

There was 25 years between sunningdale and the good Friday agreement.

Will there be a suckler industry left within 25 years of quota abolition.

K.G. wrote: »
    if nothing else the cost of going to the mart is too much. for the margin in beef.on top of the capital cost of box and jeep taking and bringing home in diesel,fees and time cattle could be 50 euro an animal-the margin just isnt in it.i know a couple of beef finishers and assembling cattle would take more than half their working week between marts andcalling to yards to look at cattle and drawing them home and fecking around with permits cards and checks.really the only time a beef should move is as a calf and then to the factory

Yes in relation to transport costs they have only gone one way. As well having a jeep adds other costs into the system. If you go to the mart only twice a week the jeep drinks money the rest of the week checking cattle and doing school runs.

However not all land is suitable for finishing cattle. Because of this there is room for calf to store operations. As well there will always be dairy farmers that carry calves to weanling or stores. What is not possible is 3-4lads all looking for a margin off a 1100-1300euro animal.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

In skibbereen Friday 70% of the weanling heifers went online. It was on of the dearest sales I saw this year. The worse they were the more they made. I'd love to know what these buyers though of the cattle when they were home a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    In skibbereen Friday 70% of the weanling heifers went online. It was on of the dearest sales I saw this year. The worse they were the more they made. I'd love to know what these buyers though of the cattle when they were home a few days.

I wouldn’t like to buy weanlings online without seeing them first.

20silkcut wrote: »
    Will there be a suckler industry left within 25 years of quota abolition.

Not in its present format. Carbon and continued dairy expansion both indictate that we need a reduction in the Suckler herd and a move to lowering nitrate levels on dairy farms. As well exporting of live calves/weanlings will become under threat. Finally the mainstream dairy processing industry will not tolerate high slaughter level's if calves.

These are not compatible with present levels of suckler cows. How long we can continue with trying to artificially supporting there production is another question

Slava Ukrainii

They probably still worked out cheaper than getting landed to them by some dealer. As well they will come straight from mart to farm not spending a few days in a yard somewhere to be sorted into different batches.

However not all will have been expensive buying. Lads will learn as they go along and learn from there mistakes. Some lads never learn so will make the same mistakes on line as in the mart.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

They probably still worked out cheaper than getting landed to them by some dealer. As well they will come straight from mart to farm not spending a few days in a yard somewhere to be sorted into different batches.

However not all will have been expensive buying. Lads will learn as they go along and learn from there mistakes. Some lads never learn so will make the same mistakes on line as in the mart.

It’s this kinda wheeling and dealing that put me off calves, cattle, dealers, and marts in general. I know some lads are into that side of it but it’s hard if you’re not

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭cute geoge

It’s this kinda wheeling and dealing that put me off calves, cattle, dealers, and marts in general. I know some lads are into that side of it but it’s hard if you’re not

You did not work out too bad your self for a ''anco'' farmer .You had your $100+ out of your aa calves for 5 months keep!!!

cute geoge wrote: »
    You did not work out too bad your self for a ''anco'' farmer .You had your $100+ out of your aa calves for 5 months keep!!!

Ya but the hard graft is gone out of them it's only s matter of managing cheap weight gain from now on. If you put 180-200kgs on them to late July they be making over the six hundred euro. 150 euro would get them to that in costs.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

cute geoge wrote: »

Luck and slogging more than anything else. But there is a few quid in them. They’ll cover some of the losses from the summer grazers I bought off a dealer.

I’ve the calf money and more with it spent already. And the cheque not even lodged yet!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Not in its present format. Carbon and continued dairy expansion both indictate that we need a reduction in the Suckler herd and a move to lowering nitrate levels on dairy farms. As well exporting of live calves/weanlings will become under threat. Finally the mainstream dairy processing industry will not tolerate high slaughter level's if calves.

These are not compatible with present levels of suckler cows. How long we can continue with trying to artificially supporting there production is another question

5 years will tell alot for the suckler cow.
    Truth be told the dairy guys might not have it all there own way either. In fact the extensively ran suckler herd might be seen as less of an issue that the intensive dairy herd that's spreading nitrogen to beat the band. Is this any more sustainable?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

'He said that in 3-4years marts will be selling.70%+, online and mainly sellers will be in the mart. This may mean that more lads will mover over to longer-term cattle either weanling to finish or light store to finish' Bass

At a weanling sale yesterday, no sellers present and just 20 buyers allowed in. On line sales were very much a minority IWT. Probably take people time to get used to it along with the fact it's usually the older person on the farm who does the buying ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

I agree with your second paragraph 100% there is no doubt you are right.

But these calves were €100 wrong compared to what I've seen this back end, even say they're €50 wrong. €50 on 15 weanlings would pay for a good bit of diesel. Looks that's just me I'm patient & like to be open to keep picking away.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭grange mac

I bought online in skibb on Friday, can confirm animals on camera bear no resemblance to when dropped to your yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Murang

Problem I have with marteye is the details as regard weight,age,number of owner’s you have to press on box to see and not able to see the animals at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭Robson99

grange mac wrote: »
    I bought online in skibb on Friday, can confirm animals on camera bear no resemblance to when dropped to your yard.

You cannot judge cattle by looking at them on line. It's impossible and it's why thankfully the day of going to the mart to buy livestock will never die. It's mad to think that someone would spend say 1000 on a store without having a look at it in the flesh. Also you cannot judge an animal when it's wedged into a pen with 6 or 7 others. Online might last with covid but it will die a death fairly quickly again IMO unless the lads buying don't care whether he makes money or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

if the animals were graded by a star rating on entry to the pens , would that help sell them online better and fairer to every one .
    at the end of the day , every one needs to be looked after the buyer and seller .
    I don't think long term robbing anyone is a good thing .

valuer star rates them , it just a idea

Advertisement