Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Teagasc had costings at €700 per annum several years ago, we costed her at €670 as a class exercise when I done my green cert also several years ago.

Silage making has more than doubled, fertiliser has tripled, meal has doubled, fixed costs such as electric has gone up, €900 for the year probably doesn't cover it.

It depends on the length of your winter. I aim for a 15 week winter max. I don’t use much esb, meal, diesel etc. I use fertiliser sparingly as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Agreed. Continental cattle aren’t bad value at €3 a kg when beef is heading for €5.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

That is why I am saying they would look better value, but in fairness your cattle were probably near tops last year at €3 and this year they could make €3.20 - €3.40 /kg.

Post edited by Anto_Meath on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,212 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What do you call the other 15 weeks of crap weather?

I'm being slightly tongue in cheek..

Not by much though.

Most in 15 weeks and 3 days as of today.

They won't be going out this weekend.

• Advertisement

I had them out till the end of November.

I have a good shot out at the minute.

Once had them out till mid December.

Average housing here is 3rd week of October and average turnout would be 1st week of May.

You'll get the odd exception to that but that would be the norm around here.

The suckler cows i keep would average 850Kg at turnout, you can't let them out until ground is right or you're chasing grass the rest of the year.

850 at turnout sounds heavy to me. They might be weaning heavy calves but are eating a fortune.

Teagasc suggest a bcs of 2+ at turnout for spring and autumn calvers.

If you opted for a lighter cow you might get out sooner and keep more cows etc.

Its not really a topic for here though.

I think current mart prices are high for January. I’d understand if it was a month later and people were buying for grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Talking to a suckler farmer a few weeks ago. He hung most his cows last year. They averaged over 2K each. I think he slaughter over 15 of them. He kept all his heifers and bulled them.

Slava Ukrainii

They're big framed cows, we've always kept bigger stock and i suppose the vast majority of cows we have reared ourselves.

The bigger cow i find gives more options at calving and as such you would'nt be afraid to put a CH or BB bull on them.

The ground around here gets so wet you would'nt let anything except weanlings out, anything heavier than that would do serious poaching on land.

As for current prices i still don't think they are tracking input costs or finish factory price, buyers may think stock dear but anyone selling yearlings or forward stores at €3/kg has nothing out of them. If my yearlings don't make 3.5/kg next March or April i'm going to try and keep them on to finish.

I think factory price will stay strong this year and i'd hope this will keep mart prices rising.

• Advertisement

It wouldn’t be a bad idea in the current market.

Sure cows probably max out weight wise at 5 years of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

The joy of big cows is that if they don't work out you get decent money for them when you cull them. Friend gave €1,500 for a big incalf Lmx heifer Oct 21. She had a nice little heifer but no milk, sold the calf in Nov 22 for €750. Didn't put her back in calf and showed her in the Mart yesterday, 750 kgs, €2,160 & no meal. I though it was a good enough twist overall.

Thats the problem with these tanks of cows, they often lack milk. I’d prefer a handy sized cow with plenty of milk for the calf. You’d carry more of them as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Not really, we’ve cows here ranging from 550kg to 900kg, the 900kg cow eats no more and maybe less than the 550kg cow. I also find a dairy cross (replacement calf kept for a cow) can be harder fed than the suckler bred ones. Milk depends on breeding of the cow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭DBK1

I can’t speak for them as calves but as weanlings I’d be seeing the very same thing as you are.

I could have a pen of bucket reared hex beside a pen of suckler bred continentals. The hex would be averaging 200-230 kgs and the continentals 300kgs and the same amount in each pen. Every day without fail the hex will have their silage ate and be standing at the barrier roaring for more when they see you. The continentals will have silage left in front of them and they’ll all be lying down chewing their cud and happy out.

Dairy beef stock without doubt consume far more feed than continentals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

How are you able to quantify that?

wven if you were measuring individual animal intake the energy needed for the 900kg cow to maintain condition is significantly more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Who2

ive been moving back to bigger framed cows after falling victim to listening to too much of the Teagasc crap.small cows are a disaster if you’re suckling. A well framed cow carrying condition going into the shed, feed her hay until a week or forthright pre calving and then onto silage and stay on that until she goes back to grass. Her body condition follows what she requires once it’s timed right and you have something of value that has the ability to produce top end animals and not always have to be worrying about calving.

the day of half dairy bred sucklers or even middle of the road types is over.750kg minimum cow weight is what I’m moving back to.

Well I would opt for a cow with decent milk and I wouldn’t be a fan of cows pushing a ton in weight. A very heavy cow stays in longer as well.

Breeding is important like you say. I’d prefer a good mix in genetics / breeds in the cow.

All cows seem expensive in the mart at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Wonder what the buffalo trade is like this year?

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I base it on seeing them eat and amount of fodder consumed. I find a dry suckler cow calving in the Springtime can be quite low maintenance once they’ve been dried off before housing and have a bit of cover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Who2

Minimum weight while rearing a calf. Somewhere around 8-850 kg is what I’m aiming for across the cows.

theres a friend of mine breeding serious charolais weanlings and most of his cows are 900kg plus , but he breeds for bone and power primarily.

Milk quantity is overrated, vastly.

The right breeding beats bags of milk in a suckler cow every day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

I see neighbours here messing with first cross dairy stock producing O grade weanlings and the only thing propping them up when they are sold is they can be bought cheap and the buyer has a nice twist out of them, that's why there is demand for that kind of stock.

If that's the route you want to go down you need to be going out 3-4 generations from the dairy cow at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

900 kg cows would eat you out of house and home. 70 900kg cows will eat the same as 90 700kg cows ..... and you have 20 extra weanlings to sell at the end of the year.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

What age do you aim to calf your replacements at?

There is a balance between milk and carcass traits. Going too extreme in either direction can lead to disappointment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Doing a few sums here on the cost of keeping and finishing cattle over winter.

I have dairy-cross stores (350-500kg) and I'm working off 20 of them eating a bale/day. If a bale costs me €30 to make, then that's €1.50/head/day, or €180 over 4 months.

For finishing, I'm giving 5kg/head. If finishing ration is €450/ton then that's 5*450/1000 = €2.25, or €112 for 50 days.

[Finished target heifer weight for me = 520kg. Current liveweight prices are €2.50-ish for this type of animal so sale price = €1,300]

Are these ball-park figures correct?

If so, is it insanity trying to finish such cattle over winter?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭DBK1

I would say you’re way too high in your silage prediction. Unless silage is very poor quality about half that should do them and even less when getting 5kgs of meal.

I had 52 stores in one shed, a mix of continentals and hex, and earlier in the winter when they would have been averaging around 450kgs and on silage only they were eating around 10 bales a week.

They’re getting closer to finishing stage now and they’re getting about 8kgs of fodder beet, and 2kgs of a home grown barley, HiPro soya and mineral mix and they’re only eating 6 bales of silage a week now.

Valuing my silage at €30 like you are that’s costing me just €1.85 per day in total. I’ll be weighing stock again in a couple of weeks so I’ll know for sure but I’d be expecting them to be gaining around 1kg per day at that feeding which at current mart prices is worth €2.70 - €3.30 per day.

I have my silage cost calculated at €40 per bale so in my circumstances what I’m currently feeding is costing me €2 per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Ya a bale a day for 20 seems high and definitely when you start with 5kg a day. One thing about meal that may be overlooked when doing up sums is silage intake reduces a nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

28 stores are getting two days comfortably out of a bale with no mealls being fed. most in the pen would be friesians

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

Should I feed Meal to Friesian bullocks during summer grazing or is this uneconomical. Buying around 300 kg live and selling 7 months later hopefully over 500 kgs live. Will feeding the Meal eliminate profit margins?

Advertisement