Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Nice even bunch of fr today. Spring 19 450kg €590 in macroom.

I'm laid up at the moment so watching a good few sales, saw balla for the first time today.... Man o man what a sale of colour cows. Bax & bb cows literally never see the like down here.

Balla would have big entries of quality cull cow's most week's. It must be one of the leading marts in the West for all stock types. Drumshanbo on a Friday night would generally have 100+ culls of a more mixed variety and would be worth a watch if you were interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Balla would have big entries of quality cull cow's most week's. It must be one of the leading marts in the West for all stock types. Drumshanbo on a Friday night would generally have 100+ culls of a more mixed variety and would be worth a watch if you were interested.

Ya, I think I've finished Netflix :) stitches out Monday dying to get back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Nice even bunch of fr today. Spring 19 450kg €590 in macroom.

I'm laid up at the moment so watching a good few sales, saw balla for the first time today.... Man o man what a sale of colour cows. Bax & bb cows literally never see the like down here.

Looks very cheap. Thurles .Cashel and Cahir showing that weight e300 with their weight. Several lots 500kg over e800. Hard to see how these can pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Looks very cheap. Thurles .Cashel and Cahir showing that weight e300 with their weight. Several lots 500kg over e800. Hard to see how these can pay.

To be honest it was a one off.

I saw 3 lm heifers in ennis Thursday easily €150 short of what they were worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

tanko wrote: »
    I downloaded MartBids onto my iPhone but can’t see any video of the ring.
    Is the live video supposed to be there?

Won't work on my phone either (huawei)
    Laptop works fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Katie 2018

Have 2 suckler cows 2008 and 2010 was hoping to move on.both back in calf calving in january.no faults just age against them.what my best option sell now or sell with calf at foot.both so cross round 600kg.incalf to limousine

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Katie 2018 wrote: »
    Have 2 suckler cows 2008 and 2010 was hoping to move on.both back in calf calving in january.no faults just age against them.what my best option sell now or sell with calf at foot.both so cross round 600kg.incalf to limousine

I say calf down keep for 8-10 weeks and sell calves as runners and cows as culls. There was s always a demand for culls end of March early April. If you leave calves with them buyer will sell the calves and fatten the cows.

However if you have BEAM payment you may have to look at the option of selling now to reach 5% destocking

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Katie 2018

Had thought of selling now an buying couple young springers.probably only cull price you would get for them now

Fresians 33 months fat score 3 to 4 .Would there be any point feeding meal at this stage. Would be selling in about 4 weeks. Plenty good grass. Weight about 700kg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,160 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I see Carrigallen Mart have now removed the sellers name on their online site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,160 ✭✭✭✭Base price

They must have had a problem recently that caused them to remove the sellers name/address cause when I logged in online they have a warning message in RED

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭kk.man

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Fresians 33 months fat score 3 to 4 .Would there be any point feeding meal at this stage. Would be selling in about 4 weeks. Plenty good grass. Weight about 700kg

It's a gamble but forecast is for a increase but I wouldn't bet on it.

I'd be more worried they go back grass has not same in it at this time of the year. Why don't you just kill them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Base price wrote: »
    They must have had a problem recently that caused them to remove the sellers name/address cause when I logged in online they have a warning message in RED

Think they can't have the name because of gdpr,

Rubbish some marts are still showing sellers details. However some marts are using it as an excuse not to display details. At the end of the time when you submit cattle for sale you agree to the marts terms and conditions. If that is to display you name and address on sale then those are the terms. If not happy you go elsewhere

Slava Ukrainii

kk.man wrote: »
    It's a gamble but forecast is for a increase but I wouldn't bet on it.

I'd be more worried they go back grass has not same in it at this time of the year. Why don't you just kill them now.

Probably the best idea, just thought with plenty grass they might put on a bit of weight with meal. Looking at them again I'd say nearer 750kg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

It's still on display in the marts though AFAIK. Can't have one rule in one area & not another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭cute geoge

It's still on display in the marts though AFAIK. Can't have one rule in one area & not another.
    A big difference between a name displayed in the mart board for less then a minute compared to a name displayed on the internet where it can remain indefinitely

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Lads, what would a 2014 suckler cow due to calf in early Feb be worth? Quality average to good. I'm selling some at the moment and a few lads want to buy. Hard to know their value.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Lads, what would a 2014 suckler cow due to calf in early Feb be worth? Quality average to good. I'm selling some at the moment and a few lads want to buy. Hard to know their value.

Good cull sucklers were making €2 a kg in the mart.....that would be the floor for me, it all depends on stars etc..... aim high cause you can only come down:D

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Good cull sucklers were making €2 a kg in the mart.....that would be the floor for me, it all depends on stars etc..... aim high cause you can only come down:D

They are young suckler cows with plenty of flesh on them. Most maybe going to the north to sksughter. They are able to kill some as heifers it may be putting pressure on Irish processor's to match this price on marts. They are not doing it in factories.

However this is not transfering to younger cattle in marts, they are making just about factory value

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Just threw a few heifer calves up on DoneDeal: https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/angus-x-weanling-heifers/26182319

170kg avg

I see other lads asking for €400 and more for similar but is €350 (€2.05/kg) a more realistic price?

MODs: I'm interested in people's opinions and am not trying to advertise these here, but please let me know if I should remove the post. I thought I'd be honest and say they're mine rather than posting the link and pretending I just happened upon them by accident on DD

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Just threw a few heifer calves up on DoneDeal: https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/angus-x-weanling-heifers/26182319

170kg avg

I see other lads asking for €400 and more for similar but is €350 (€2.05/kg) a more realistic price?

MODs: I'm interested in people's opinions and am not trying to advertise these here, but please let me know if I should remove the post. I thought I'd be honest and say they're mine rather than posting the link and pretending I just happened upon them by accident on DD

Relative sold a few bulls like them a while back for €400 in Ennis Mart. if that's a help. Being honest, his may have been slightly better.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

170kg avg

In the last 20 days cattle prices have started to slip. A month ago you have got 380-400 for them freely. But now these type of weanlings are starting to flood the market.

My own opinion on weanlings is they cost little to keep over the winter and can be 200+ kgs heavier next June/ July. You feed them mins+bits and a kg of ration over the winter along with decent silage and they will do half a kg/ day. IMO you have the hard work done if I was only getting 320-350 for them I be slow inclined to carry to next July or even onto slaughter weight.

However as a finisher they could struggle to average 1k Dec'21/Jan'22 and use up nitrates the same as a bullocks. Friend bought slightly over 400kg HE heifers for 710 euro last week out if a yard.

Not sure if all that is any help.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭orm0nd

170kg avg

Seems a fair price for sale at home and I wouldn't be taking any less. Knew there were hex weanlins entered in Newport to day. I was bidding on line and got blown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭cute geoge

The price seems fair enough but maybe keep the 125 kg one out of the lot ,no one will give $350 for him .Bass seems to think it is cheap to keep these for a winter but if you had to buy silage at $25/bale and 1kg of meal how much would it cost to keep them until mid April.The meal alone would cost $50 each .How many bales would you need to feed them

cute geoge wrote: »
    The price seems fair enough but maybe keep the 125 kg one out of the lot ,no one will give $350 for him .Bass seems to think it is cheap to keep these for a winter but if you had to buy silage at $25/bale and 1kg of meal how much would it cost to keep them until mid April.The meal alone would cost $50 each .How many bales would you need to feed them

You stop ration 6-8 weeks pre turn out if you are putting to grass yourself. I cost bale silage at 25/bale but it dry silage cut in late May and early August. 50 of them type of cattle would struggle to finish a bale in a day at start of winter.on a kg of ration. In March expect 40 to need at least a bake. I expect not to have to house until early November and have back to grass 20th March at the latest. 80c/ day at start of winter and 65c/ day for last eight weeks. I allowing 30c/ day for a good ration 18% protein topped up with mins and bits. From now to housing a kg of ration per day.
    110euro per head would be my costings to carry them Inc dosing . If the silage was really dry you be down near the 100.

Slava Ukrainii

You stop ration 6-8 weeks pre turn out if you are putting to grass yourself. I cost bale silage at 25/bale but it dry silage cut in late May and early August. 50 of them type of cattle would struggle to finish a bale in a day at start of winter.on a kg of ration. In March expect 40 to need at least a bake. I expect not to have to house until early November and have back to grass 20th March at the latest. 80c/ day at start of winter and 65c/ day for last eight weeks. I allowing 30c/ day for a good ration 18% protein topped up with mins and bits. From now to housing a kg of ration per day.
    110euro per head would be my costings to carry them Inc dosing . If the silage was really dry you be down near the 100.

How much would you cost pit silage at?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

They’re gone.

Fella buying for an exporter came just now and we came to a deal for €335.

I’m happy enough at getting them gone without the hassle and costs of selling them at the mart.

Transport would have been €100 (€6/head) and then €136 commission (€8/head), so not too far off the €350 mark overall

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Dozer1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Dozer1 wrote: »

Saw him at a talk one time, he ran a tight ship.

Advertisement