Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Long range weather forecast spot on!!! You can put a spin on anything, I hope your job involves promotion.

It's not my prediction. It's the weather forum and they are usually spot on.

A cold snap is going to be disastrous although it might be welcomed to get the virus cases further down. For retail and hospitality businesses that's hoping to turn things around and its going to be sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Juwwi

L5 working well. Fair play to Tony H

I wonder will he consider running for president when this is all over and Micheal D retires .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

L5 working well. Fair play to Tony H
    This is not the effect of Level 5 which is just over a week week old, it's still all Level 3+. Good numbers anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Juwwi wrote: »
    I wonder will he consider running for president when this is all over and Micheal D retires .

I heard he wants God's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Level 3 might have been more successful if we'd not had the stupidity of the GAA parties, and communion/confirmation events, and when only Dublin was level 3, the local pubs around here were rammed with visitors from Dublin who thought they were invulnerable.

Didn't work that way though, which helped push Meath to second highest county in the country.

UK about to announce national lockdown very similar to here in terms of what's closed and what's open. Will be interesting to see how that affects things, and if NI follows their lead

NI and Wales both not following it and have said they'll exit their restrictions on the dates currently planned

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

440Hertz wrote: »
    If there’s that enormous gap in positivity rates between Northern Ireland and the Republic, leaving the border open during this is probably going to just cause a major reinfection when the restrictions end.

What’s going on up there? Are we looking at a genuine gap or are they triaging access to testing more dramatically, resulting in a higher % of definitely symptomatic people coming forward for testing?

Our tests like theirs are misleading in terms of positivity.

They aren't really comparable I think. The Italians are doing about 7k tests a day on less than 3k individuals. We judge the positivity on the individuals. When Northern Ireland were around 1k cases a day they were doing about 7k tests on 4 or 5k individuals. I don't know if they are limiting access to testing up there or how it works.

We do 15k tests. We dont know how many individuals are tested. So we judge positivity on the total test numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

How? L5 won’t kick in until next week.

I agree with it as a circuit break tactic but we will not see L5 numbers until next week.

Correct and it will take the L5 impact to drive these numbers down properly. The current direction is great, if it holds, but L3 can only get us so far.

The idiots lauding 400 cases as if we have reached rock bottom figures and don't need L5 just haven't grasped what's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Hopefully on level 5 for another 5 weeks we should all be open for Christmas with low numbers, then spend ,spend spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Polar101

So.. are today's lower numbers (cases vs swabs) from the previous "negative backlog", or a beginning of a new backlog?

Great to see Dublin and Cork numbers below 100, no matter how the result was reached.

Maybe that below 100 cases (in the whole country) by the end of level 5 is possible after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

owlbethere wrote: »
    It's not my prediction. It's the weather forum and they are usually spot on.

A cold snap is going to be disastrous although it might be welcomed to get the virus cases further down. For retail and hospitality businesses that's hoping to turn things around and its going to be sh1t.

Rubbish there is not a weather forecaster in the world who will claim to be accurate over two weeks in a forecast, it always comes with a footnote explaining that.

• Advertisement

Level 3 might have been more successful if we'd not had the stupidity of the GAA parties, and communion/confirmation events, and when only Dublin was level 3, the local pubs around here were rammed with visitors from Dublin who thought they were invulnerable.

Didn't work that way though, which helped push Meath to second highest county in the country.
    This is probably a decent summary of what happened. There are very clear local factors that sent some counties skyrocketing.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Correct and it will take the L5 impact to drive these numbers down properly. The current direction is great, if it holds, but L3 can only get us so far.

The idiots lauding 400 cases as if we have reached rock bottom figures and don't need L5 just haven't grasped what's needed.
    Hmm, idiot calls other idiots idiots! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

adam88 wrote: »
    Where can you watch the daily briefings. Either online or through a player?

Both

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Be funny and delightful if Ireland ended up being the Christmas poster child for Europe on getting our timing right.

Quite often we ridicule and attack our authorities and struggle to give them a pat on the back when they get things right. At the moment nothings certain but it looks like maybe our authorities made the right call at the right time for us.

I’d of thought most would be happy with something like level 3 for first 2 weeks of December and Lower level for the 3-4 week Christmas period. Feels like this is what they were going for and hopefully it works...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Positive news today, but my gut feeling is that we'll be doing very well if everything goes according to plan; Winter is just getting started.

Arghus wrote: »
    Positive news today, but my gut feeling is that we'll be doing very well if everything goes according to plan; Winter is just getting started.
    Yep, the snow will start in two weeks and we'll be at Level 5 for 3 months!

Rubbish there is not a weather forecaster in the world who will claim to be accurate over two weeks in a forecast, it always comes with a footnote explaining that.

Nobody is claiming to be experts there in the weather forum. They are watching a system developing where there is potential for a cold snap with the possibility of a 2010 style cold snap.

A cold snap is going to be disastrous.

You can do what you want with that information. I'm going to prepare for a cold spell and if it doesn't come about so be it.

A lot of people are relying on online shopping and home deliveries. There is potential for a bit of trouble here if it does come about.

Nobody is claiming to be experts there in the weather forum. They are watching a system developing where there is potential for a cold snap with the possibility of a 2010 style cold snap.

A cold snap is going to be disastrous.

You can do what you want with that information. I'm going to prepare for a cold spell and if it doesn't come about so be it.

A lot of people are relying on online shopping and home deliveries. There is potential for a bit of trouble here if it does come about.

It's a great sign of how we are doing when you have to go that far to get your negative fix today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Be interesting to see whether schools reopening on monday will impact the numbers in a week or two. Hopefully I've been wrong about schools and numbers keep decreasing.

On another note: are there still any doubters of the source of the leak of the NPHET letter?

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    On another note: are there still any doubters of the source of the leak of the NPHET letter?
    Are there really people who still care about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭vafankillar

what i'm most surprised about is that I felt as tho the threat of level 5 actually had a perverse effect, I felt people instead felt it was inevitable and just went shopping and socializing more than they would have had it not been for the threat. dublin seemed extensively packed the week and a half before level 5

Belgium is in a right mess, with a bit over double our population over 20k cases today with a 7 day positivity rate of 27% and over 15k a day average cases.

It's a great sign of how we are doing when you have to go that far to get your negative fix today.

Oh please, that's not being negative. I'm going to use that info over in the weather forum of a cold system developing to prepare now. I'm not going to wait for a dump of snow to come about or layers of ice to cover the roads to then prepare. If it does come about there is potential of it having an impact on the health service with falls and accidents. I'm going to do my best to stay out of hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭prunudo

Be interesting to see whether schools reopening on monday will impact the numbers in a week or two. Hopefully I've been wrong about schools and numbers keep decreasing.

Don't think it will, from what I've seen this week they're all mixing and playing together, albeit outside, around the estate.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Are there really people who still care about this?

Care might be too strong a word, but it's always good to remember that Leo is a sneaky snake in the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Belgium is in a right mess, with a bit over double our population over 20k cases today with a 7 day positivity rate of 27% and over 15k a day average cases.

OMG, I knew Belgium was in rag order, but not the extent of it :eek: Took a break from Covid news for a little while.

Any links to read about this. But I'll google anyway.

Oh please, that's not being negative. I'm going to use that info over in the weather forum of a cold system developing to prepare now. I'm not going to wait for a dump of snow to come about or layers of ice to cover the roads to then prepare. If it does come about there is potential of it having an impact on the health service with falls and accidents. I'm going to do my best to stay out of hospital.

The thread is posted under the title of 'fantasy Island' I am not sure what preparation will take two weeks but best of luck.

OMG, I knew Belgium was in rag order, but not the extent of it :eek: Took a break from Covid news for a little while.

Any links to read about this. But I'll google anyway.

It's there on worldometer coronavirus,on the main page just go to Belgium data and follow, not good at links etc, sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭maebee

It's there on worldometer coronavirus,on the main page just go to Belgium data and follow, not good at links etc, sorry

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/belgium/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement