Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Jaysis. Has someone hacked Tony's Twitter?

If true, it’s not just leaky Leo, it’s potential jail time

Up to ten years if proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Up to ten years if proven.

Leo when his solicitor tries to warn him that he (an Irish politician) might go to jail

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

Sums it up well. It's been folly after folly.

The political consequences of all this are looking pretty dire too. It's mostly main stream parties that have messed up, and they will all likely be punished by the electorate asap.
    Who replaces them?

A shift to FG, I imagine - despite them being in government.

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    Leo when his solicitor tries to warn him that he (an Irish politician)might go to jail

tenor.gif

Once it's not Ray Burkes or Liam Lawlors brief he should be ok. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,641 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Stheno wrote: »
    Jaysis. Has someone hacked Tony's Twitter?

The fact we’re best country in EU last 7 days shows how bad the EU is doing atm, we’re lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Not covid related anyway

Related to our joke of a health system. If contracts leaked like that no wonder we don’t get good value for money and find ourselves with a massive lack of capacity.

A shift to FG, I imagine - despite them being in government.

Simon ( rolling up sleeves and looking earnest)Harris for Taniste, five more years, five more years.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Simon ( rolling up sleeves and looking earnest)Harris for Taniste, five more years, five more years.......

I'm not a big FG fan, but I wouldn't mind Simon Coventry as Leo's replacement.

• Advertisement

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I'm not a big FG fan, but I wouldn't mind Simon Coventry as Leo's replacement.

Neither am I, but Simon was the grassroots choice. The hierarchy wanted Leo for some strange ( populist? Lot of boxes ticked) reason .
    Anyways apologies for off topic posting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I'd personally find a way to make sure that never happens.

s1ippy wrote: »
    I'd personally find a way to make sure that never happens.

Ah Simon tries his best , I heard he is still researching the previous 18 Covids. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,210 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Related to our joke of a health system. If contracts leaked like that no wonder we don’t get good value for money and find ourselves with a massive lack of capacity.

But again its a political topic not related to covid discussion so don't know why it's being discussed on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,210 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

NI reporting 11 deaths, 7 of which occurred in the last 24hrs.

649 cases from 3012 tests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

But again its a political topic not related to covid discussion so don't know why it's being discussed on this thread.

Yeah, that celeb doctor has been making hay while the sun shines regards covid. He has been discussed on here many a time. Ironic if he is the cause of Leo’s downfall.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1322524177786638341?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Where did the Covid thread go??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

NI reporting 11 deaths, 7 of which occurred in the last 24hrs.

649 cases from 3012 tests

+ rate still very high (21.5%).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

+ rate still very high (21.5%).

Doesn't seem to have budged at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

mloc123 wrote: »
    Have said it before, must be the worst maths teacher ever. Never comes back with any data, facts or figures... Just hard beliefs. Wonder if they teach religion also.

Stop with the personal attacks on a vulnerable poster please. I beg you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Slovakia have 1 million tests done today

Another 4 million to go for whole population over weekend

Interestingly 1-2% positivity so far

10,000 - 20,000 cases caught

Hopefully works for them and we can do similar here

• Registered Users Posts: 39,692 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

There were some interesting threads appearing on Twitter about indoor air quality and particularly humidity (lack there of).

There’s a theory that the virus may be becoming more airborne in buildings as the heating reduced relative humidity turning the virus particles into smaller, easier carried material.

The other theory is that our noses and throats become more susceptible as they dry out. So wearing a mask and a warm scarf on cold days may really help by keeping your nasal passageway and throat more moist.

So the wearing a scarf and a hat may have been a lot more than an old wives’ tale.

We really design buildings with nothing more than simple radiators in this climate and there really isn’t that much thought given to ventilation, other than in bigger buildings like offices and the same applies across much of Northern Europe.

It’s pretty rare to encounter a school with a complex HVAC system here or elsewhere Europe at least in areas with broadly temperate climates, although they do exist in many university buildings, big shops, shopping centres, offices and public buildings.

The Americans may be reducing humidity even further with the use of mostly forced air heating and air conditioning, but at least some of those systems could be easily adapted to take in a lot more fresh air for the duration of the pandemic.

https://twitter.com/orla_hegarty/status/1322465921403965440?s=21

https://twitter.com/olafdreyer/status/1321183279849086989?s=21

We really seem to be glossing over this whole area of heating and ventilation and the role it could be playing in the spread of COVID.

Seasonality would appear to be a lot more about human behaviour than about the virus blooming like flowers or something.

It’s also a huge issue in Ireland, Britain and any parts of Europe with this kind of climate eg Benelux, western frange etc as we all share very similar building and heating / ventilation norms. It gets colder and we retreat to often very over heated and stuffy buildings.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Slovakia have 1 million tests done today

Another 4 million to go for whole population over weekend

Interestingly 1-2% positivity so far

10,000 - 20,000 cases caught

Hopefully works for them and we can do similar here

30% false negativity on those tests. I found an article this morning sometime. It's definitely an interesting approach. I would hope there is a better generation of the technology coming soon and that we move for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

30% false negativity on those tests. I found an article this morning sometime. It's definitely an interesting approach. I would hope there is a better generation of the technology coming soon and that we move for that.

True

Would do us for aiports in current state anyway

Slovakia seem to be in 2 minds about erradifcation China style or just a circuit breaker

Interesting to see what they do after this

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

674 positive swabs, 4.78% positivity on 14,095

7 day positivity now down to 5.2%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Excellent. Trend continues.

Looking forward to the day when swabs are greater than cases.

Historically since the start of this positive swabs have been 6% greater than cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

If there’s that enormous gap in positivity rates between Northern Ireland and the Republic, leaving the border open during this is probably going to just cause a major reinfection when the restrictions end.

What’s going on up there? Are we looking at a genuine gap or are they triaging access to testing more dramatically, resulting in a higher % of definitely symptomatic people coming forward for testing?

If it is simply a difference in rates and those northern Irish swab numbers are accurate and comparable, it’s just going to act as a huge reservoir and the border counties will be back in a mess again within a few weeks after we reopen.

As horrendously sensitive as the issue is, are we going to have to look at restricting movements across the border
    ?

The only alternative I can see is a permanent quarantine measure eg Level 3+ for the border counties and effectively sacrificing them to the higher infection rates in Northern Ireland and imposing the limits between them and the rest of the Republic, which is far from ideal either and it would only be about assuaging political sensitivities.

Basically, the border counties would have to act as a buffer zone.

The alternative would seem to be to drift back to a third lockdown after Christmas.

Being realistic about this, very little is going to change until we see vaccines arriving and significant uptake.
    So I can’t see how we aren’t just going to rinse and repeat unless we take very dramatic steps to prevent reintroduction of infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Actual case nunbers are starting to drop, and the decline seems to be increasing in speed so I don't knownhow to explain the positivity level staying stubbornly high. Maybe the threshold for getting a test is higher in NI than in RoI.

• Advertisement

440Hertz wrote: »
    If there’s that enormous gap in positivity rates between Northern Ireland and the Republic, leaving the border open during this is probably going to just cause a major reinfection when the restrictions end.

What’s going on up there? Are we looking at a genuine gap or are they triaging access to testing more dramatically, resulting in a higher % of definitely symptomatic people coming forward for testing?

If it is simply a difference in rates and those northern Irish swab numbers are accurate and comparable, it’s just going to act as a huge reservoir and the border counties will be back in a mess again within a few weeks after we reopen.

As horrendously sensitive as the issue is, are we going to have to look at restricting movements across the border
    ?

The only alternative I can see is a permanent quarantine measure eg Level 3+ for the border counties and effectively sacrificing them to the higher infection rates in Northern Ireland and imposing the limits between them and the rest of the Republic, which is far from ideal either and it would only be about assuaging political sensitivities.

Basically, the border counties would have to act as a buffer zone.

The alternative would seem to be to drift back to a third lockdown after Christmas.

The BA wasn't able to stop movements across a hard border, what makes you think we can restrict movements across a non existent border?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement