Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Any word when we can get back to eating bats?

Soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Agree mid term would have no effect on numbers... Numbers are set two weeks in advance

More complete misunderstanding of how this virus works and works itself in to the data at a much earlier stage than some magical needed 2 week duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Any word when we can get back to eating bats?

It's the day for cooking them up in cauldron s

• Registered Users Posts: 15,883 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Quietest Halloween for many a year, no fireworks in the adjacent park, no knocks at the door.

Dogs and humans happy out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

JP100 wrote: »
    More complete misunderstanding of how this virus works and works itself in to the data at a much earlier stage than some magical needed 2 week duration.

You seem a bit fixated on this

• Advertisement

Well that's where you're completely wrong and show a complete misunderstanding of how this works itself in to the data at a much earlier stage than two weeks plus.

Schools being off at the moment is a very significant variable as individuals who are infectious have not been in a crowded school for the past 8 days. It only takes 4 or 5 days sometimes less from the point of an individual being infected by somebody else and then turning up at a test centre. As such, of course, schools being closed is already significantly playing itself in to the data.

Look up the age groups where cases are falling and the fact that cases are falling since the 21st

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Don't often agree with you. The kids here where going to come hell or high water and tbh I would have too back in the day Preprepared bags all divvied out. No comment on the parents letting their kids out but considering they are out everyday playing they couldn't give a **** I guess. Very happy children, minimal risk. If only there were more bonfires to burn away the pox :pac:

I felt very safe ...........

source.gif

That is the only type of ppe that will protect you from a virus. A cloth mask will not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

The drop in numbers I believe is mainly due to the breakdown of track and trace. I’d imagine there is such a stigma around Covid that a lot of people wouldn’t have alerted close contacts. Even if they’re testing somewhere near compatible numbers, I don’t think the people being tested are as likely to have the virus as contacts of confirmed cases.
    For this reason I think the Testing sample Is skewed and I don’t think the numbers being reported are accurately reflecting the situation. I do hope though that the school closures will help to bring the numbers down, time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

screamer wrote: »
    The drop in numbers I believe is mainly due to the breakdown of track and trace. I’d imagine there is such a stigma around Covid that a lot of people wouldn’t have alerted close contacts. Even if they’re testing somewhere near compatible numbers, I don’t think the people being tested are as likely to have the virus as contacts of confirmed cases.
    For this reason I think the Testing sample Is skewed and I don’t think the numbers being reported are accurately reflecting the situation. I do hope though that the school closures will help to bring the numbers down, time will tell.
    Can ya explain how the positivity rate is dropping based on that logic?

More untracked cases = higher viral load in the community = higher positivity rate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Have taken a break from covid news this week. But day on day, cases are down alot this week. So can anyone tell me are they still testing the same amount of people as they were two weeks ago or are they testing less?

• Advertisement

We have been told continuously that cases weren’t showing up in school kids due to asymtomatics and poor contact tracing but were causing household spread. Suddenly within a few days of midterm it’s all these kids not showing up for testing that is causing the fall. Complete breakdown of logic and any critical thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Have taken a break from covid news this week. But day on day, cases are down alot this week. So can anyone tell me are they still testing the same amount of people as they were two weeks ago or are they testing less?
    There was 95,846 tests in last 7 days, make of that what you will.

Can ya explain how the positivity rate is dropping based on that logic?

More untracked cases = higher viral load in the community = higher positivity rate

If they are testing random people, they have a lesser chance of being positive than a close contact of a confirmed case. Many of the people who should be tested are asymptomatic, and might not even think they have Covid. We are only testing a small sample of people compared to our population too. I’m sure we’ll see the effects of level 5 etc in a few weeks, but will be interesting to see what plays out. I’m just not convinced by the numbers or rather the inference that we have Covid on the run, it’s too quick and too good to be true, that’s just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

I know covid can appear frightening but please there really shouldnt be a stigma attached to it. I hope people followed the guidelines and helped with the contact tracing element.

When I tested a few weeks ago, I kept in touch with my small circle of close contacts and I found that comforting and reassuring because no body else was showing symptoms. There was a small likely hood of community transmission with me if I got a positive. I remained calm throughout and I didn't panic and thankfully all negative.

There really shouldnt be a stigma attached to it.

If they are testing random people, they have a lesser chance of being positive than a close contact of a confirmed case. Many of the people who should be tested are asymptomatic, and might not even think they have Covid. We are only testing a small sample of people compared to our population too. I’m sure we’ll see the effects of level 5 etc in a few weeks, but will be interesting to see what plays out. I’m just not convinced by the numbers or rather the inference that we have Covid on the run, it’s too quick and too good to be true, that’s just my opinion.

It’s always advisable to make yourself aware of the facts before spouting a half baked theory. Per the below link, in the past two weeks we have made more contact tracing call 3s than at any point in the last few months

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/integrated-information-service-testing-and-contact-tracing-dashboard.html

Look up the age groups where cases are falling and the fact that cases are falling since the 21st

Cases are indeed falling and very much further aided and abetted by the fact that schools have been closed going on 9 days. Failure to acknowledge that shows a complete misunderstanding of how this virus works and the mere fact that it takes on average just 4 to 5 days for an infected individual to display symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

There was 95,846 tests in last 7 days, make of that what you will.

Still high levels of testing. That's very good then. Hopefully we are moving in the right direction so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Quietest Halloween for many a year, no fireworks in the adjacent park, no knocks at the door.

Dogs and humans happy out.

Should have a lockdown every Halloween. Dog sleeping happily on the couch, instead of shivering with fear at the fireworks. Lovely and quiet.

Cases are indeed falling and very much further aided and abetted by the fact that schools have been closed going on 9 days. Failure to acknowledge that shows a complete misunderstanding of how this virus works and the mere fact that it takes on average just 4 to 5 days for an infected individual to display symptoms.

If the drop off was purely down to kids not getting it in school, to achieve the falloff in cases we have seen would have cases in school age groups falling off a cliff. And mean incubation is 5 to 6 days, add in a day for referral and another for test result and suddenly you are at 7 to 8 days. Schools only off 8 days and cases have been falling for a week at this stage. Plus the main contention has been the the school cases are seeding household outbreaks and community spread. Another 5 to 7 days for the impact to be seen there.

We have been told continuously that cases weren’t showing up in school kids due to asymtomatics and poor contact tracing but were causing household spread. Suddenly within a few days of midterm it’s all these kids not showing up for testing that is causing the fall. Complete breakdown of logic and any critical thinking

Mother of God, such buffoonery. Schools are not made up of either one or the other. Some folk are symptomatic, some are not. It's not a case of one or the other and both will feed in to the data in their own way. For instance, a young person who is asymptomatic (more likely in a younger person) may pass it on to an adult in a school who goes on to be symptomatic. Sooner or later particularly in a crowded school it works itself in to the data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Mother of God, such buffoonery. Schools are not made up of either one or the other. Some folk are symptomatic, some are not. It's not a case of one or the other and both will feed in to the data in their own way. For instance, a young person who is asymptomatic (more likely in a younger person) may pass it on to an adult in a school who goes on to be symptomatic. Sooner or later particularly in a crowded school it works itself in to the data.

What's your prediction for numbers next week?

5 days incubation in child, 5 days in adult, referral, test, result, how is that working it’s way into the data as soon as schools close for midterm. Unbelievably obtuse

It’s always advisable to make yourself aware of the facts before spouting a half baked theory. Per the below link, in the past two weeks we have made more contact tracing call 3s than at any point in the last few months

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/integrated-information-service-testing-and-contact-tracing-dashboard.html

Listen, I’m not asking anyone to agree with me, I’m extremely sceptical of the trends being reported. The contact tracing completely collapsed not long ago, so again, this data thrown forward about the most contact tracing calls is also something i view with scepticism. You can believe what will, I’m not going to criticise you for that. I’ll hold fire on accepting these numbers and trends for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

GT89 wrote: »
    That is the only type of ppe that will protect you from a virus. A cloth mask will not work.

Define work.

If the drop off was purely down to kids not getting it in school, to achieve the falloff in cases we have seen would have cases in school age groups falling off a cliff. And mean incubation is 5 to 6 days, add in a day for referral and another for test result and suddenly you are at 7 to 8 days. Schools only off 8 days and cases have been falling for a week at this stage. Plus the main contention has been the the school cases are seeding household outbreaks and community spread. Another 5 to 7 days for the impact to be seen there.

Please desist from the constant buffoonery and trying to misrepresent what I said. I never said the drop off was purely down to schools, I said the drop off was further aided and abetted by folk (almost a million people) not being in crowded schools for going on 9 days now. A failure to understand that is a failure to understand how the virus works on a basic level. Also, you seem to think schools are just made up of young people but I hate to break it to you but schools are made up of people from 4 to 66 years old!

What's your prediction for numbers next week?

My prediction is that after the schools being back about a week or so, numbers will rise again with a high chance it'll be blamed on something else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Alot of people are out of work now, WFH, not going out at all.

If they had a sniffle and cough pre level 3 they would go for a test as had to go work, hairdresser etc

Now whats the point going for a test if your gonna be at home all the time and only a bit of a flu?

We will see less tests carried out in next few weeks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Thierry12 wrote: »

If they had a sniffle and cough pre level 3 they would go for a test as had to go work, hairdresser etc

Now whats the point going for a test if your gonna be at home all the time and only a bit of a flu?

Yep that's exactly what will happen it's a casedemic atm

Please desist from the constant buffoonery and trying to misrepresent what I said. I never said the drop off was purely down to schools, I said the drop off was further aided and abetted by folk (almost a million people) not being in crowded schools for going on 9 days now. A failure to understand that is a failure to understand how the virus works on a basic level. Also, you seem to think schools are just made up of young people but I hate to break it to you but schools are made up of people from 4 to 66 years old!
    Schools close for over a week and case numbers drop off a cliff! Shock! Horror!

Can’t even stay consistent with your buffoonery from just a few hours ago.

The impact from school midterm, whether a four year old Junior, or 65 year old teacher on the edge of retirement, could not show up in the data until the last day or two at the earliest. Given that cases from school would then transfer to households the real impact can’t be known for a few more days yet

• Advertisement

Thierry12 wrote: »

Cases dropping quicker than number of tests. Less people are getting tested because less people have symptoms, simple as that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement