Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭micks_address

Numbers were dropping anyway and as you know there is a two week odd delay till any measures show in the numbers, what is the point of this daily discussion when you know the answer?

Agree mid term would have no effect on numbers... Numbers are set two weeks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Beasty wrote: »
    Looking at the way this is erupting across Europe, perhaps we are fortunate that level 5 restrictions were applied. I genuinely thought they were over the top at the stage they were applied, as we really had not given Level 3 any chance to have an impact

I suspect though that once again we have either been very clever or very fortunate to react the way we did when we did

It will prove to be a very wise decision I would think. Rapid testing likely to be able to be used to mitigate the risk of superspreading events and cases from travel in the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

what i'm most surprised about is that I felt as tho the threat of level 5 actually had a perverse effect, I felt people instead felt it was inevitable and just went shopping and socializing more than they would have had it not been for the threat. dublin seemed extensively packed the week and a half before level 5

https://www.gstatic.com/covid19/mobility/2020-10-27_IE_Mobility_Report_en-GB.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 15,883 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Lockdown in England is just in time for Bonfire Night. Yup you know that night where they revel around and haven't a clue why?

But good that we are a good ten days or so ahead of other European countries. Nphet will be applauded eventually.

Anyone else have trick or treaters calling? We didn't answer the door...awful idiots

No one called. And we have a ring doorbell so can see who, if any are outside.

Kids will survive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Looking at the way this is erupting across Europe, perhaps we are fortunate that level 5 restrictions were applied. I genuinely thought they were over the top at the stage they were applied, as we really had not given Level 3 any chance to have an impact

I suspect though that once again we have either been very clever or very fortunate to react the way we did when we did

Personally, I think there's a danger we have begun to pat ourselves on the back a little too early.

Not that there isn't positive signs, but I think battling this over the Winter is going to be a lot tougher, longer and more stop start than people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,967 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Debunking of some very dodgy claims from Michael McNamara on measuring of suicides etc during the pandemic...
    https://www.thejournal.ie/false-claims-about-self-harm-statistics-5237596-Oct2020/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

That's complete nonsense, as are the reactions across Europe.

Holohan is a charlatan - as are his political masters. At least Leo is on his way to jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Anyone else have trick or treaters calling? We didn't answer the door...awful idiots
    You have no right to call them idiots. I have bought treats (although I prefer tricks) should any wish to call. They are most welcome at my door in the Hallowe'en capital of the world.

Arghus wrote: »
    Personally, I think there's a danger we have begun to pat ourselves on the back a little too early.

Not that there isn't positive signs, but I think battling this over the Winter is going to be a lot tougher, longer and more stop start than people think.

I agree with you. I know the OPEN EVERYTHING UP cohort will disagree, but better to do the lockdown now. And as you say the roller coaster will continue for a long time.

But the resilient will adapt, and hopefully Gov will support those who are unable to work.

Better to be together in this than apart. Tough on many businesses for sure, but confidence amongst those not in their twenties/thirties is shrinking now anyway.

That is a challenge going forward also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Here's an interesting piece....if a bit depressing
    5 years to get our lives back as 2019.
    Sobering and there are some that think that somehow 2021 will magically be back to "normal"

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54661843

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Risteard81 wrote: »
    At least Leo is on his way to jail.

If that happens, I'll eat my shoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Kudos to our government and how they've handled this crisis from the get go. I'd be a SF voter but this is bigger than any politics and we've done better than I would have expected given the gravity of the situation. Huge well done to NHEPT also as well as everyone playing their part and holding firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Sconsey

You have no right to call them idiots. I have bought treats (although I prefer tricks) should any wish to call. They are most welcome at my door in the Hallowe'en capital of the world.

Every right to call them idiots. Idiots like that, who can't follow guidance from our government are contributing to the problem. So are the fools that encourage them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Sconsey wrote: »
    Every right to call them idiots. Idiots like that, who can't follow guidance from our government are contributing to the problem. So are the fools that encourage them.

Look at who you are responding to. He is willing to sacrifice the vulnerable in our society in order for him to go around his life as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Debunking of some very dodgy claims from Michael McNamara on measuring of suicides etc during the pandemic...
    https://www.thejournal.ie/false-claims-about-self-harm-statistics-5237596-Oct2020/

Just read that article... very interesting when holahan was asked specifically re mental health on that tuesday.. he side stepped it by mentioning 'all health concerns'... yet we see later that the hse was only called in to give stats on mental health issues 'early that week'. To me that looks like he avoided the question and hurriedly got an an update?
    Regarding self harm people were avoiding the hospitals all during that time... remember the appeal not to avoid a and e.
    Of the counselors/pyschotherapists/pyschologists thst I know... all are saying the same thing online/phone cannot replace face to face time and is causing some of their clients mental health to deterioate and causing others to seek referrals for the first time, on an already over burdened system. Thankfully some of the day services manged to stay open.
    Mental health has always been the cinderella of the health service. And I can only imagine what it will be like if there is a recession coming.

Remember there is a thread for mental health and covid here on boards and also a general anxiety/depression thread. And a list if helpline numbers.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Blondini wrote: »
    Unless my tea has been spiked, as I don't drink alcohol.

Baiting? Nah, just harmless sneering at the self-appointed intellectuals around here. The folly of youth.

Not you of course, my friend.
    I'm looking forward to the venomous responses to this!
    Can feel the spittle-coated self-assurdness building up....
    Wonder how the Carl Henaghan fanboys here feel about this. The professor said it was all over back in August.

Threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

That's complete nonsense, as are the reactions across Europe.

Holohan is a charlatan - as are his political masters. At least Leo is on his way to jail.

Ah, so you know more than anyone else, do you? Strange that they aren't listening to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Steve F wrote: »
    Sobering and there are some that think that somehow 2021 will magically be back to "normal"

Good, clear sighted and honest article. Not exactly apocalyptic, but far from uplifting - but I'd rather read what is frank and accurate instead of wishful thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

This is why we need to keep our schools open and as much business as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Sconsey wrote: »

What the hell is wrong with trick or treating? It is an outdoor activity which you stay 2m apart. I bought sweets for callers but have not gotten any yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,202 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

GT89 wrote: »
    What the hell is wrong with trick or treating? It is an outdoor activity which you stay 2m apart. I bought sweets for callers but have not gotten any yet.

Thats a relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭prunudo

Put a basin out with a few packets of haribo and chocolates, was surprised at the amount of callers. Probably all below 10yr of age and with their parents or minders. No issue with them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Had a few children of neighbours call to the door. I understand the guidelines but for the few seconds it took to allow the kids take a few bags of sweets from a box outside I doubt it will turn out to be a superspreader event. Helps though I'm a country dweller and it's not legions of kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I dressed up and took kids on Halloween walk looking at decorations but didnt call into any houses. It wasnt the same but at least we tried something. Now for movie and treats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Blessing of Samhain,
    At this time of year we remember our ancestors, especially all those who have died during the past year.
    As we turn to face the Celtic New Year may it turn out to be a healthier one for us all and our loved ones.

Oíche Shamhna Sona

Speckle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

If we had the same incidence and death rates per capita as Belgium do currently, we would be having 9k cases per day and 60 deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Any word when we can get back to eating bats?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Numbers were dropping anyway and as you know there is a two week odd delay till any measures show in the numbers, what is the point of this daily discussion when you know the answer?

Well that's where you're completely wrong and show a complete misunderstanding of how this works itself in to the data at a much earlier stage than two weeks plus.

Schools being off at the moment is a very significant variable as individuals who are infectious have not been in a crowded school for the past 8 days. It only takes 4 or 5 days sometimes less from the point of an individual being infected by somebody else and then turning up at a test centre. As such, of course, schools being closed is already significantly playing itself in to the data.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Had a few children of neighbours call to the door. I understand the guidelines but for the few seconds it took to allow the kids take a few bags of sweets from a box outside I doubt it will turn out to be a superspreader event. Helps though I'm a country dweller and it's not legions of kids.

Don't often agree with you. The kids here where going to come hell or high water and tbh I would have too back in the day Preprepared bags all divvied out. No comment on the parents letting their kids out but considering they are out everyday playing they couldn't give a **** I guess. Very happy children, minimal risk. If only there were more bonfires to burn away the pox :pac:

I felt very safe ...........

source.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement